PDA

View Full Version : Mind Blowing Buffalo Bills stats

Homegrown
06-05-2013, 10:22 PM
from NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000209369/mindblowing-stats-for-the-buffalo-bills#photo=1
OJ2K
When O.J. Simpson rushed for 2,003 yards in 1973, he became the first player in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards in a single season. Of the seven players in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season (Eric Dickerson, Adrian Peterson, Jamal Lewis, Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis and Chris Johnson), Simpson is the only player to do so in a 14-game season. His 143.1 rush yards per game in 1973 is the most in NFL history.

Powered by 'The Juice'
In 1973 when O.J. Simpson rushed for 2,003 yards, he also had 70 receiving yards. His 2,073 yards from scrimmage accounted for 50.7 percent of the Bills' total yards that season (4,085 yards). That remains the highest percentage of a team's total net yards by a player in a season. Maurice Jones-Drew is second on the list, piling up 1,980 of the Jaguars' 4,149 total yards in 2011 (47.7 percent).

Why so productive?
Stevie Johnson is the only receiver in Bills history to have more than 1,000 receiving yards in back-to-back seasons, something Elbert Dubenion, Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans or James Lofton never accomplished. Johnson has done so in each of the past three seasons (2010-12). Not bad for a seventh-round draft choice.

Bruce almighty
Bruce Smith is the NFL's all-time leading sack man with 200 in his career. Perhaps more impressive is his consistency; Smith recorded double-digit sack totals in 13 seasons, 12 as a member of the Bills. Thirteen is the most double-digit sack seasons in NFL history; Reggie White is second with 12 such seasons. Smith had double-digit sacks in each season from 1986-1998 with the exception of 1991, when he only played five games due to a left knee injury.

Thurmanator the dominator
Thurman Thomas led the NFL in scrimmage yards in four consecutive seasons from 1989-92, the longest such streak in NFL history. Thomas had a total of 7,893 yards from scrimmage over the span, an average of 125.3 scrimmage yards per game. From 1998-2001, Marshall Faulk racked up 8,992 scrimmage yards, but only led the league once (1999) over that span.

Feast to famine
Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Kelly spent 11 seasons with the Bills, winning 110 games from 1986-1996 -- including the playoffs. In the 16 seasons since Kelly's retirement, the Bills have won 109 games -- none in the playoffs. Buffalo's last playoff appearance was following the 1999 season, a 13-year drought that represents the longest current streak in the NFL.

Unprecedented Super Bowl run
The Bills won 103 games during the 1990s, second only to the San Francisco 49ers' 113 wins in that time. Buffalo reached the Super Bowl four times during the decade, losing each time -- which you already knew. However, the Bills are the only team to reach the Super Bowl in four consecutive seasons, and one of four NFL teams (Bengals, Eagles, Vikings) to reach the Super Bowl more than once in franchise history and never win.

A game without a punt
In Week 2 of the 1992 season, the Bills beat the 49ers, 34-31. Both quarterbacks, Jim Kelly and Steve Young, threw for more than 400 yards and three touchdowns. The Niners entered halftime with a 24-13 lead, but the Bills came back -- outscoring San Francisco 21-7 in the second half. What makes the game notable though, is that neither Chris Mohr (Buffalo) nor Klaus Wilmsmeyer (San Francisco) attempted a punt -- the only time in NFL history a game was played with no punts, much to Rich Eisen's dismay. On this day in 1992, maybe punters weren't people after all.

Awesome offense nets less-than-awesome result
In 2002, Drew Bledsoe threw for 4,359 yards, Travis Henry ran for 1,438 yards, Eric Moulds had 1,292 receiving yards and Peerless Price had 1,252 receiving yards. The Bills went 8-8 that season and finished last in the AFC East, as the three other teams finished 9-7. The Bills are the only team in NFL history to have a 4,000-yard passer, 1,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers while finishing in last place in their division.

From college to the pros
This offseason, Doug Marrone became the 10th coach since Steve Mariucci to go directly from head coach in the NCAA to head coach in the NFL. Marrone spent the last four seasons at Syracuse -- compiling a 25-25 record. If the past is any indicator of future success, the Bills are in luck. Since 1997, the 10 coaches to go straight from head coach in college to the NFL have finished with at least seven wins nine times -- the lone exception being Bobby Petrino, who left the Falcons before the season was over. A seven-win season in 2013 for the Bills would be their first in five years

Don't Panic
06-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Good stuff. A lot of great memories and sources of pride for this franchise in there.

trapezeus
06-06-2013, 08:06 AM
that last one was a sad indicator of how low the bar is for us. "we are in luck marrone can get us to 7 wins which neither gets us a good pick nor a shot in the playoffs." and therefore, the team wonders why we are unenthused about games in novemebr and december.

and the 2002 stat. i forgot how dominant they were that year cause i just remembered after we lost to the raiders it went down hill from there pretty quickly.

CoolBreeze
06-06-2013, 06:37 PM
that last one was a sad indicator of how low the bar is for us. "we are in luck marrone can get us to 7 wins which neither gets us a good pick nor a shot in the playoffs." and therefore, the team wonders why we are unenthused about games in novemebr and december.

and the 2002 stat. i forgot how dominant they were that year cause i just remembered after we lost to the raiders it went down hill from there pretty quickly.

The last stat wasn't too depressing for me. You have to remember trapezeus, we're talking about Syracuse. And not today's Syracuse, Syracuse before the Marrone era. They were so so bad, so bad I don't even think Jesus could have walked through the doors and saved them. Marrone did a fine job with what he had. More depressing to me is actually the 2002 stat. Sure we were dominant but the game I seem to remember playing that year was the last one Week 17 against Pittsburgh. I do believe they had clinched their division, and were starting their second unit after the 1st quarter. All we had to do was win and we're in... but we didn't, and that was the last true shot we had at the playoffs since.. 2000! Bledsoe went to garbage the year after, Peerless was traded. Sorry I'm feeling sick, i can't continue the post...

GvilleBills
06-06-2013, 09:33 PM
My buddy got married on the day of the Bills/Steelers game. I was in the wedding, so i would miss the game. I kept asking him "are you sure about this?"

Bills were doomed that day, and so was the marriage.

Meathead
06-06-2013, 10:02 PM
so both were your fault then

Mouldsie
06-07-2013, 12:30 AM

We really were only great for the first 8 games in 2002.

Night Train
06-07-2013, 04:26 AM
More depressing to me is actually the 2002 stat. Sure we were dominant but the game I seem to remember playing that year was the last one Week 17 against Pittsburgh. I do believe they had clinched their division, and were starting their second unit after the 1st quarter. All we had to do was win and we're in... but we didn't, and that was the last true shot we had at the playoffs since.. 2000! Bledsoe went to garbage the year after, Peerless was traded. Sorry I'm feeling sick, i can't continue the post...

The Steelers last game choke was 2004. Bledsoe was on fire the first 7 games of 2002, then film caught up to him and he struggled most every game after with the Bills. Knew he was a mistake and couldn't stand him. Much like Fitz, the Bills became pigheaded and refused to make a change, thinking the QB play would suddenly get better again with the same failure starting.

This is why I'm all for playing Manuel immediately and letting him develop now. 1st year coach and expectations are low for 2013. Build something long term and forget all the Back To The Future thinking.

Bruce is Loose
06-08-2013, 05:47 AM
No mention of the comeback?