PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 Buffalo Bills Starting Wide Receivers Will Be?

BillsImpossible
06-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Dickerson
Easley
Elliott
Goodwin
Graham
Hogan
Johnson
Kaufman
Rogers
Sampson
Smith
Woods

My how things change in a year, for the better.

Stevie Johnson is penciled in as the team's number 1 receiver, and he's earned it.

2, 3 and 4 are wide open for competition.

Ideally, the Bills coaching staff would like to see Woods earn the number 2 spot, and have Graham and Goodwin battle for the 3rd slot receiver position.

Will Rogers battle Woods for number 2? Will Hogan, or Sampson make a name for themselves and surprise everyone? Is Brad Smith even in the picture?

Thoughts?

ParanoidAndroid
06-06-2013, 08:20 PM
1. Johnson
2. Woods
3. Graham
4. Rogers
5. Goodwin
6. Elliot or Smith
PS: Kaufman
Out: Easley, Dickerson, Hogan, Sampson, one of Elliot or Smith

I think that Smith might stick because if he is cut, it would leave Johnson as the only receiver with more than one year experience.

feldspar
06-06-2013, 08:43 PM
One thing I'm interested in seeing is whether Stevie Johnson will be playing the slot at all and, if so, how much. There has been talk of that. Teams can really move the chains from the slot position, so that'll be something to keep your eye on. Could even put CJ Spiller there at times. Part of that equation has to do with how the other receivers fair...lots of rookies in there.

I can't see how Woods doesn't have a wide-out spot. As a third-round pick, Goodwin would have to suck balls to not earn a spot. T.J. Graham is a burner like Goodwin, but I think they both make the squad. I love Rogers as a wildcard...

that's five already, three of which are rookies, and one second-year player which is pretty unproven.

There is going to be quite a competition to earn spots on this squad. Considering the youth of the squad, they may feel the need to keep Brad Smith on the team, and I really hope they don't. He's a flat-out receiver now, and I just don't see the value there, especially with his contract. I don't really consider him much of a veteran at the position, myself. If they keep six receivers, I'd rather give Easley a shot at some real playing opportunities. At the sixth spot, I wouldn't even mind bring a guy like Namaan Roosevelt back.

Anyway you look at it, we are looking at a young, young squad at the WR position this year.

Hopefully, the actually people making these decisions are a lot smarter and informed than I am.

ServoBillieves
06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Johnson, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Kaufman, Dickerson.

Gut feeling.

feldspar
06-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Johnson, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Kaufman, Dickerson.

Gut feeling.

I really thought that Dickerson was a Tight End. Wasn't he? Has that changed?

Also, the sixth spot could come down to Special Teams ability...dunno.

ServoBillieves
06-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I really thought that Dickerson was a Tight End. Wasn't he? Has that changed?

Also, the sixth spot could come down to Special Teams ability...dunno.

Honestly I add him much like if we were asking for 3 QB's somehow Smith would be the 3rd. I have no clue where Dickerson fits in to the system but Marrone apparently has a use for him in his system. Call him a TE/WR/FB/RB whatever, but he seems like a fit somehow.

If not, I'd add Rogers just to save NTD losing his mind that Da'Rick wasn't on a list.

Thief
06-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Dudes, Rogers and Woods are gonna be on the outside with Stevie in the slot on most plays by year end. In 2 WR set it will be Stevie and (likely) Woods (assuming he earns it). But, Rogers will pushing him for time every game. Goodwin and Graham are 4 and 5. They will both see time as the 4. I believe a 6th will be kept, but only if he has special teams value, which I do not think Kaufman has much value in, so he goes to the practice squad. Leodis is the starting corner, so they likely do not want him returning kicks. This maybe were Smith sneaks onto the team.

I would like to say Goodwin can be the return man, allowing us to cut Smith, but Goodwin didn't even return in college, did he? Kind of odd actually.

OpIv37
06-07-2013, 10:33 AM
One thing I'm interested in seeing is whether Stevie Johnson will be playing the slot at all and, if so, how much. There has been talk of that. Teams can really move the chains from the slot position, so that'll be something to keep your eye on. Could even put CJ Spiller there at times. Part of that equation has to do with how the other receivers fair...lots of rookies in there.

I can't see how Woods doesn't have a wide-out spot. As a third-round pick, Goodwin would have to suck balls to not earn a spot. T.J. Graham is a burner like Goodwin, but I think they both make the squad. I love Rogers as a wildcard...

that's five already, three of which are rookies, and one second-year player which is pretty unproven.

There is going to be quite a competition to earn spots on this squad. Considering the youth of the squad, they may feel the need to keep Brad Smith on the team, and I really hope they don't. He's a flat-out receiver now, and I just don't see the value there, especially with his contract. I don't really consider him much of a veteran at the position, myself. If they keep six receivers, I'd rather give Easley a shot at some real playing opportunities. At the sixth spot, I wouldn't even mind bring a guy like Namaan Roosevelt back.

Anyway you look at it, we are looking at a young, young squad at the WR position this year.

Hopefully, the actually people making these decisions are a lot smarter and informed than I am.

There are a lot of things that could be done with Spiller that our last coaching staff never did (or didn't do enough to make a difference): putting him on the field with Jackson, lining him up as a WR, etc. Hopefully this coaching staff won't be that ****ing stupid.

Unfortunately, I think you are right about Smith. With the youth at WR and the QB situation, I think he'll probably make the team even though he's not particularly good at either of those positions. I hope we don't cut Rogers or one of the rookies to keep Smith.

I think Dickerson makes it too, because of his versatility, but I hope they use a TE or FB spot for him because he's not a pure WR.

I think Easley's done- the next James Hardy.

Ed
06-07-2013, 11:36 AM
I think they'll end up keeping 6.

Johnson, Woods, and Goodwin are locks to make it with Johnson and Woods being the likely starters.

I think Graham is pretty close to being a lock, but I don't see him being in the top 3.

I think Da'Rick Rogers is just too talented to not make the team. The only thing that would prevent him from making it would be getting in trouble, but he seems to fully understand what's at stake. I think he'll end up having a bigger role this season than Graham or Goodwin.

That leaves one more spot, which I think is a toss up between Brad Smith and Marcus Easley. Easley probably still has more upside than Smith and is a cheaper option. But Smith brings a veteran presence and experience that this group is lacking outside of Stevie. Both can play ST's too.

I would expect to see a few of the other guys like Kauffman and Elliot on the PS.

I also only see Dickerson making the team as a TE, but I'm not sure he makes it all. He apparently asked Marrone if he could switch to TE instead of WR. I think he knows he doesn't have a chance of making it as a WR.

better days
06-07-2013, 11:50 AM
1. Johnson
2. Woods
3. Graham
4. Rogers
5. Goodwin
6. Elliot or Smith
PS: Kaufman
Out: Easley, Dickerson, Hogan, Sampson, one of Elliot or Smith

I think that Smith might stick because if he is cut, it would leave Johnson as the only receiver with more than one year experience.

So what if Stevie is the only Vet at WR. I would rather keep a talented Rookie over a mediocre Vet myself.

Homegrown
06-07-2013, 12:07 PM
1. Johnson
2. Woods
3. Graham
4. Goodwin
- 1st 4 are obvious

5. Smith
- I feel they would've cut Smith by now if they didn't have plans for him

To be honest, I'm not sure they'll even go with 6 WR's, but if they do ...

6. Rogers/Kaufman or some "street FA" vet yet to signed
- I also wouldn't suprised if they sign a guy who is another teams final cut at the end of Train Camp as teams trim the roster to meet the 53 man limit

justasportsfan
06-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I think they go with 6 wr's running spread and up tempo

Stevie, Woods, Rogers, Graham , Goodwin, Kaufman( 6'5 big end zone target)

feldspar
06-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I would like to say Goodwin can be the return man, allowing us to cut Smith, but Goodwin didn't even return in college, did he? Kind of odd actually.

Yeah, Goodwin can return:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-bochouVnAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Doesn't really matter anyway, since Brad Smith won't be returning kicks this year...and he shouldn't. The Bills have 2 or 3 guys that are better at than he is. It's certainly not a reason to keep him on the team and paying him nearly $4 million. We won't be pulling any more of that Wildcat crap this year either. If on the team, Brad Smith's role will be strictly as WR, which does not make sense to me like I said.

ParanoidAndroid
06-07-2013, 03:32 PM
So what if Stevie is the only Vet at WR. I would rather keep a talented Rookie over a mediocre Vet myself.

I actually think the talent he is up against is not more than his own and certainly not more valuable than his experience. I did say that maybe Elliott surprises people a bit and beats him out. I'm not suggesting we cut Rogers or Graham... so...... yeah.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-07-2013, 05:39 PM
stevie, graham, woods

Lone Stranger
06-07-2013, 10:22 PM

That looks pretty good. I'll buy that group.

better days
06-08-2013, 01:06 AM
I actually think the talent he is up against is not more than his own and certainly not more valuable than his experience. I did say that maybe Elliott surprises people a bit and beats him out. I'm not suggesting we cut Rogers or Graham... so...... yeah.

Well, we can disagree. I think talent far surpasses experience. A talented inexperienced player will get more experience. An experienced player with little talent will never be any more talented.

And Smith has LITTLE talent. He is a good athlete that can play a little QB & run the wild cat a little, but he is a MEDIOCRE WR & he is making pretty good coin. I doubt he is on the roster opening day.

kishoph
06-08-2013, 04:26 AM

This is the way I see it, or at least hope for. Smith has experience over most of the squad, but I can't see paying that salary for a #4 WR and I don't know if Easley is worth taking another chance on.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-08-2013, 06:11 AM
st

Goobylal
06-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't see the need for a 3rd strict-QB. The 3rd QB rarely ever enters a game, and it's even rarer that teams win those games. I'd say go into the season with EJ and either Kolb or Jackson, and cut the loser to save his salary but keep his number on speed dial in case one of the other 2 gets injured and is expected to miss significant time. That way you can keep a guy like Brad Smith as an extra WR and emergency QB.

The only way I can see keeping 3 strict-QBs is if Tuel looks to be worth developing, which makes him a risk to cut in order to stash on the PS. If he does, Brad Smith's value plummets.

Ed
06-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Does Easley have any PS eligibility left?

NOT THE DUDE...
06-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Does Easley have any PS eligibility left?

no, but don't count him out. I still wouldn't be surprised or all that shocked if he broke out and won the number 3 or 4 spot... I think he still makes it as the 6th wr

Goobylal
06-08-2013, 12:43 PM
no, but don't count him out. I still wouldn't be surprised or all that shocked if he broke out and won the number 3 or 4 spot... I think he still makes it as the 6th wr
I think he's gone. We know the Bills are keeping Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin. Graham has looked really good so he likely sticks. Rogers has also looked good so he should stick. That leaves one spot open (Smith might make it as a 7th WR/emergency QB if they keep just 2 strict-QBs on the roster), and that competition figures to be tight among him, Kaufman, Elliott, and Hogan. And the advantage they have is they are younger and healthier.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I think Woods and Rogers become the flankers, Johnson and Graham play the slot, Kaufman and Goodwin are the depth, Dickerson moves back to H-back, and Smith, Easley and the rest hit the bricks.

feldspar
06-08-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't see the need for a 3rd strict-QB. The 3rd QB rarely ever enters a game, and it's even rarer that teams win those games. I'd say go into the season with EJ and either Kolb or Jackson, and cut the loser to save his salary but keep his number on speed dial in case one of the other 2 gets injured and is expected to miss significant time. That way you can keep a guy like Brad Smith as an extra WR and emergency QB.

The only way I can see keeping 3 strict-QBs is if Tuel looks to be worth developing, which makes him a risk to cut in order to stash on the PS. If he does, Brad Smith's value plummets.

No offense, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people use "Brad Smith" and "quarterback" in the same sentence. He's just not an NFL quarterback in any way, shape, or form. He's attempted two passes for the Bills, and both of them were intercepted. Fact. The guy has attempted NINE passes in his 7-year NFL career...he's completed FOUR passes.

Calling him "versatile" does not apply anymore, if it ever did for the Bills. He's a reciever now, and not a good one. That's all he is to this team, except for a bit-player on Special Teams, which he's not exactly bad at. If we want an emergency quarterback, keep somebody on the practice squad...a guy like that would be a better option than Brad Smith at QB.

Goobylal
06-08-2013, 02:24 PM
No offense, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people use "Brad Smith" and "quarterback" in the same sentence. He's just not an NFL quarterback in any way, shape, or form. He's attempted two passes for the Bills, and both of them were intercepted. Fact. The guy has attempted NINE passes in his 7-year NFL career...he's completed FOUR passes.

Calling him "versatile" does not apply anymore, if it ever did for the Bills. He's a reciever now, and not a good one. That's all he is to this team, except for a bit-player on Special Teams, which he's not exactly bad at. If we want an emergency quarterback, keep somebody on the practice squad...a guy like that would be a better option than Brad Smith at QB.
As I said before, keeping a 3rd strict QB makes little sense. Smith played QB in college, which is more than can be said for any other non-strict QB on the roster, and has utility as a WR or returner. Worst-case scenario, Smith comes in as the 3rd QB and hands-off.

better days
06-08-2013, 03:23 PM
As I said before, keeping a 3rd strict QB makes little sense. Smith played QB in college, which is more than can be said for any other non-strict QB on the roster, and has utility as a WR or returner. Worst-case scenario, Smith comes in as the 3rd QB and hands-off.

WASTE of a roster spot.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Smith is making 3.75 million this year. That makes him the eighth* highest paid player on the team. You're paying more to keep Brad Smith for his "emergency QB ability" than it would to just keep Tarvaris Jackson as the #3, and Jackson can actually run the offense in that disaster scenario.

Unless Brad Smith actually steps up and actually snags the #2 wideout spot or seriously renegotiates his deal, he needs to get kicked to the curb immediately.

*He'll drop to 9th when Manuel signs.

Goobylal
06-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Smith is making 3.75 million this year. That makes him the eighth* highest paid player on the team. You're paying more to keep Brad Smith for his "emergency QB ability" than it would to just keep Tarvaris Jackson as the #3, and Jackson can actually run the offense in that disaster scenario.

Unless Brad Smith actually steps up and actually snags the #2 wideout spot or seriously renegotiates his deal, he needs to get kicked to the curb immediately.

*He'll drop to 9th when Manuel signs.
Smith would save $3.25M if cut since his $500Kamortized bonus is already accounted-for. But he does much more than just play emergency QB, which is the point. And the Bills aren't in cap trouble. His utility at WR, returns, and Wildcat and emergency QB make him valuable enough to keep over Kolb or Jackson. Now hopefully Tuel shows enough to warrant keeping on the roster and makes the decision for them.

bleve
06-08-2013, 06:32 PM
No pads yet. But I'll guess that Johnson, Woods, and TJ are on the team. High likelyhood Goodwin is there too.

That leaves eight players for two spots assuming they keep six. I would pick Rogers out of the bunch at this point as the top of the remaining heap.

Then it's a seven-man battle for one spot.
Dickerson, Easley, Elliot, Hogan, Kaufman, Sampson, and Smith.
My dark hoarse pick is Kaufman because of the Red Zone threat.
Once pads get on it's a different game, but that's my pick for now.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Smith would save $3.25M if cut since his $500Kamortized bonus is already accounted-for. But he does much more than just play emergency QB, which is the point. And the Bills aren't in cap trouble. His utility at WR, returns, and Wildcat and emergency QB make him valuable enough to keep over Kolb or Jackson. Now hopefully Tuel shows enough to warrant keeping on the roster and makes the decision for them.

Except he doesn't play any of those positions well. His versatility would be a plus if he was making like 750K but not 3.75 million. For that price he needs to be one of the best on the team at one of those positions and he flat-out isn't.

Dump Smith.
Spread his return duties among McKelvin, Goodwin, and both Rogers
Spread his #5 wideout duties between Kaufmann and Goodwin
Throw the wildcat in the toilet. Give all option plays to Manuel.
Put Tuel on the practice squad.
If you feel the need for a #3 QB, keep Tarvaris. If not, dump him and teach someone like Dorin Dickerson to take snaps and give handoffs.
Take the money saved, and give it to Byrd

Easy peezy.

feldspar
06-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Except he doesn't play any of those positions well.

LOL, yeah...there is that small minor detail.

It's already been expressed that Brad Smith is basically a WR, and that's obvious anyway. There is no Wildcat in Buffalo now, and there shouldn't be even if we didn't just draft a QB in round 1 that can run the ball. Smith only averaged about one carry per game regardless, and the overwhelming majority of them were on 1st or 2nd down. I say that because some people I talk to are operating under the delusion that he converted crucial third downs as the ball carrier. If the Bills want to be stupid and run the Wildcat (which they won't), hike the ball directly to Freddie or something...that guy threw a TD pass in the NFL. The Wildcat is useless.

Smith will not be returning kicks either, like I said. Special Teams have been one of the Bills' strengths for some time now, as well. Smith is not an option at QB...I'd say it again if that would make a difference. He simply is not a QB option even in an emergency. Like you say, Jackson is cheaper and can actually run the offense. Smith ain't fooling anybody when he lines up back there.

He's a wide receiver, and not a very good one. Time to wave bye-bye...can't believe they haven't done that yet. Probably because our WR squad is so young. Can't think of any other possible explanation.

Mace
06-09-2013, 12:12 AM
I would have dumped Smith at the start, he had value in a Chan Gailey offense, if Chan Gailey had an offensive value for him, but then again I would have cut McKelvin at once also because to me they are both going nowhere quick no matter what happens and I don't need be on an NFL payroll to see it.

Starters, for better or worse, will be Johnson, Woods and Graham. I'd expect Goodwin to make a dent in Graham, and if he behaves himself, Rogers is going to steal someones job by next year. No idea who else will be on the roster. I want to like Easley but the James Hardy comparison rings too true, just wasn't in the cards.

Personally, I'd re-sign Ruvell Martin and start him, along with Smith just to dismay opponents, and re-sign the 3 or 4 Derek TE's we used to have and line them up all over the place with the QB yelling Derek at the line on every play which would make them change formation and confound opposing defenses. There would be Derek's running everywhere, Martin ready to tackle anyone who intercepted, and Smith prepared for a lateral to throw an interception so Martin could tackle them for superior field position.

better days
06-09-2013, 08:32 AM
LOL, yeah...there is that small minor detail.

It's already been expressed that Brad Smith is basically a WR, and that's obvious anyway. There is no Wildcat in Buffalo now, and there shouldn't be even if we didn't just draft a QB in round 1 that can run the ball. Smith only averaged about one carry per game regardless, and the overwhelming majority of them were on 1st or 2nd down. I say that because some people I talk to are operating under the delusion that he converted crucial third downs as the ball carrier. If the Bills want to be stupid and run the Wildcat (which they won't), hike the ball directly to Freddie or something...that guy threw a TD pass in the NFL. The Wildcat is useless.

Smith will not be returning kicks either, like I said. Special Teams have been one of the Bills' strengths for some time now, as well. Smith is not an option at QB...I'd say it again if that would make a difference. He simply is not a QB option even in an emergency. Like you say, Jackson is cheaper and can actually run the offense. Smith ain't fooling anybody when he lines up back there.

He's a wide receiver, and not a very good one. Time to wave bye-bye...can't believe they haven't done that yet. Probably because our WR squad is so young. Can't think of any other possible explanation.

The only explanation I can think of is 90 players are on the roster for now. I expect him to get cut after the roster size is reduced.

Goobylal
06-09-2013, 08:39 AM
He's under contract and not getting any bonuses except for a roster bonus of $500K if he makes the team, so there's no reason to cut him right now.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-09-2013, 05:37 PM
You have to keep 3 qbs active for gameday. so either you cut smith and activate tuel or Jackson, or you keep tuel on the ps and keep smith as the 6th wr. people need to realize, hes not a qb, hes an emergency qb capable of playing rb/wr/kr/pr/gunner/db.... and hes still explosive. hes not getting cut

NOT THE DUDE...
06-09-2013, 05:38 PM

again, not a qb, emergency qb that fills out the roster better

Extremebillsfan247
06-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Dickerson will be moved around from TE, to HB, to ST, and probably spot duty at WR, but not a part of the receiving core on the final depth chart. He's a veteran that can play multiple positions. Bills will be keeping him. I have no doubt about that.
Easley will be gone
Elliott cut
Sampson cut
Hogan cut

Kaufman will probably end up on the practice squad but has a good chance at making the final 53.

These 6 are almost shoo ins to be the receiving core of 2013:
Rogers (He's talented enough, his future will be determined by whether or not he can keep himself out of trouble. Kaufman could replace him. )
Smith
Woods
Goodwin
Graham
Johnson

This is all based on my opinion, and how I think it will go. I know things change constantly and it's still a long way from the start of the season. But as of now this is where I stand on it.

better days
06-09-2013, 06:10 PM
You have to keep 3 qbs active for gameday. so either you cut smith and activate tuel or Jackson, or you keep tuel on the ps and keep smith as the 6th wr. people need to realize, hes not a qb, hes an emergency qb capable of playing rb/wr/kr/pr/gunner/db.... and hes still explosive. hes not getting cut

ANYONE can be the emergency QB. Back in the day, Ed Rutkowski a WR was the 3rd QB. I'm sure the Bills could find a guy on the roster that played QB back in HS & probably he would be as good as Smith at QB.

feldspar
06-09-2013, 06:23 PM
again, not a qb, emergency qb that fills out the roster better

The guy can't throw the ball in the NFL. Does that make a difference to you? He's a waste of a roster spot even if you aren't talking about his contract.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-09-2013, 06:34 PM

No you don't "have" to. You can train someone to be the emergency QB by just having them take snaps and do handoffs for an hour during practice.

And LMFAO at the thought of Brad Smith playing DB. You just pull the silliest ideas out sometimes.

X-Era
06-10-2013, 05:53 AM
1) Stevie
2) Woods
3) TJ Graham
4) Da'Rick Rogers
5) Marquise Goodwin

PS: Kaufman, Hogan

Goobylal
06-10-2013, 07:35 PM
1) Stevie
2) Woods
3) TJ Graham
4) Da'Rick Rogers
5) Marquise Goodwin
They'll keep at least 6 WRs.
PS: Kaufman, Hogan

McBFLO
06-10-2013, 10:28 PM
1. Stevie Johnson
2. Graham
3. Woods
4. Goodwin
5. Rogers
6. Brad Smith (special teams versatility)/Easley (if the deem Smith's contract to be too high for 6th WR)