The 2013 Buffalo Bills Starting Wide Receivers Will Be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The 2013 Buffalo Bills Starting Wide Receivers Will Be?

Dickerson
    Easley
    Elliott
    Goodwin
    Graham
    Hogan
    Johnson
    Kaufman
    Rogers
    Sampson
    Smith
    Woods

My how things change in a year, for the better.

Stevie Johnson is penciled in as the team's number 1 receiver, and he's earned it.

2, 3 and 4 are wide open for competition.

Ideally, the Bills coaching staff would like to see Woods earn the number 2 spot, and have Graham and Goodwin battle for the 3rd slot receiver position.

Will Rogers battle Woods for number 2? Will Hogan, or Sampson make a name for themselves and surprise everyone? Is Brad Smith even in the picture?

Thoughts?
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: The 2013 Buffalo Bills Starting Wide Receivers Will Be?

1. Johnson
    2. Woods
    3. Graham
    4. Rogers
    5. Goodwin
    6. Elliot or Smith
    PS: Kaufman
    Out: Easley, Dickerson, Hogan, Sampson, one of Elliot or Smith

I think that Smith might stick because if he is cut, it would leave Johnson as the only receiver with more than one year experience.
    Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 06-06-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

One thing I'm interested in seeing is whether Stevie Johnson will be playing the slot at all and, if so, how much. There has been talk of that. Teams can really move the chains from the slot position, so that'll be something to keep your eye on. Could even put CJ Spiller there at times. Part of that equation has to do with how the other receivers fair...lots of rookies in there.

I can't see how Woods doesn't have a wide-out spot. As a third-round pick, Goodwin would have to suck balls to not earn a spot. T.J. Graham is a burner like Goodwin, but I think they both make the squad. I love Rogers as a wildcard...

that's five already, three of which are rookies, and one second-year player which is pretty unproven.

There is going to be quite a competition to earn spots on this squad. Considering the youth of the squad, they may feel the need to keep Brad Smith on the team, and I really hope they don't. He's a flat-out receiver now, and I just don't see the value there, especially with his contract. I don't really consider him much of a veteran at the position, myself. If they keep six receivers, I'd rather give Easley a shot at some real playing opportunities. At the sixth spot, I wouldn't even mind bring a guy like Namaan Roosevelt back.

Anyway you look at it, we are looking at a young, young squad at the WR position this year.

Hopefully, the actually people making these decisions are a lot smarter and informed than I am.
      Last edited by feldspar; 06-06-2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

Johnson, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Kaufman, Dickerson.

Gut feeling.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
          Johnson, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Kaufman, Dickerson.

Gut feeling.
          I really thought that Dickerson was a Tight End. Wasn't he? Has that changed?

Also, the sixth spot could come down to Special Teams ability...dunno.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
            The Voice of Reason
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
            I really thought that Dickerson was a Tight End. Wasn't he? Has that changed?

Also, the sixth spot could come down to Special Teams ability...dunno.
            Honestly I add him much like if we were asking for 3 QB's somehow Smith would be the 3rd. I have no clue where Dickerson fits in to the system but Marrone apparently has a use for him in his system. Call him a TE/WR/FB/RB whatever, but he seems like a fit somehow.

If not, I'd add Rogers just to save NTD losing his mind that Da'Rick wasn't on a list.
            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Thief
              • Sep 2009

Dudes, Rogers and Woods are gonna be on the outside with Stevie in the slot on most plays by year end. In 2 WR set it will be Stevie and (likely) Woods (assuming he earns it). But, Rogers will pushing him for time every game. Goodwin and Graham are 4 and 5. They will both see time as the 4. I believe a 6th will be kept, but only if he has special teams value, which I do not think Kaufman has much value in, so he goes to the practice squad. Leodis is the starting corner, so they likely do not want him returning kicks. This maybe were Smith sneaks onto the team.

I would like to say Goodwin can be the return man, allowing us to cut Smith, but Goodwin didn't even return in college, did he? Kind of odd actually.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                One thing I'm interested in seeing is whether Stevie Johnson will be playing the slot at all and, if so, how much. There has been talk of that. Teams can really move the chains from the slot position, so that'll be something to keep your eye on. Could even put CJ Spiller there at times. Part of that equation has to do with how the other receivers fair...lots of rookies in there.

I can't see how Woods doesn't have a wide-out spot. As a third-round pick, Goodwin would have to suck balls to not earn a spot. T.J. Graham is a burner like Goodwin, but I think they both make the squad. I love Rogers as a wildcard...

that's five already, three of which are rookies, and one second-year player which is pretty unproven.

There is going to be quite a competition to earn spots on this squad. Considering the youth of the squad, they may feel the need to keep Brad Smith on the team, and I really hope they don't. He's a flat-out receiver now, and I just don't see the value there, especially with his contract. I don't really consider him much of a veteran at the position, myself. If they keep six receivers, I'd rather give Easley a shot at some real playing opportunities. At the sixth spot, I wouldn't even mind bring a guy like Namaan Roosevelt back.

Anyway you look at it, we are looking at a young, young squad at the WR position this year.

Hopefully, the actually people making these decisions are a lot smarter and informed than I am.
                There are a lot of things that could be done with Spiller that our last coaching staff never did (or didn't do enough to make a difference): putting him on the field with Jackson, lining him up as a WR, etc. Hopefully this coaching staff won't be that ****ing stupid.

Unfortunately, I think you are right about Smith. With the youth at WR and the QB situation, I think he'll probably make the team even though he's not particularly good at either of those positions. I hope we don't cut Rogers or one of the rookies to keep Smith.

I think Dickerson makes it too, because of his versatility, but I hope they use a TE or FB spot for him because he's not a pure WR.

I think Easley's done- the next James Hardy.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ed
                  Dude
                  • Sep 2002

I think they'll end up keeping 6.

Johnson, Woods, and Goodwin are locks to make it with Johnson and Woods being the likely starters.

I think Graham is pretty close to being a lock, but I don't see him being in the top 3.

I think Da'Rick Rogers is just too talented to not make the team. The only thing that would prevent him from making it would be getting in trouble, but he seems to fully understand what's at stake. I think he'll end up having a bigger role this season than Graham or Goodwin.

That leaves one more spot, which I think is a toss up between Brad Smith and Marcus Easley. Easley probably still has more upside than Smith and is a cheaper option. But Smith brings a veteran presence and experience that this group is lacking outside of Stevie. Both can play ST's too.

I would expect to see a few of the other guys like Kauffman and Elliot on the PS.

I also only see Dickerson making the team as a TE, but I'm not sure he makes it all. He apparently asked Marrone if he could switch to TE instead of WR. I think he knows he doesn't have a chance of making it as a WR.
                  Last edited by Ed; 06-07-2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
                    1. Johnson
                    2. Woods
                    3. Graham
                    4. Rogers
                    5. Goodwin
                    6. Elliot or Smith
                    PS: Kaufman
                    Out: Easley, Dickerson, Hogan, Sampson, one of Elliot or Smith

I think that Smith might stick because if he is cut, it would leave Johnson as the only receiver with more than one year experience.
                    So what if Stevie is the only Vet at WR. I would rather keep a talented Rookie over a mediocre Vet myself.

Comment

• Homegrown
                      Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                      • Jul 2008

1. Johnson
                      2. Woods
                      3. Graham
                      4. Goodwin
                      - 1st 4 are obvious

5. Smith
                      - I feel they would've cut Smith by now if they didn't have plans for him

To be honest, I'm not sure they'll even go with 6 WR's, but if they do ...

6. Rogers/Kaufman or some "street FA" vet yet to signed
                      - I also wouldn't suprised if they sign a guy who is another teams final cut at the end of Train Camp as teams trim the roster to meet the 53 man limit

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

I think they go with 6 wr's running spread and up tempo

Stevie, Woods, Rogers, Graham , Goodwin, Kaufman( 6'5 big end zone target)
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Thief View Post

I would like to say Goodwin can be the return man, allowing us to cut Smith, but Goodwin didn't even return in college, did he? Kind of odd actually.
                          Yeah, Goodwin can return:

Doesn't really matter anyway, since Brad Smith won't be returning kicks this year...and he shouldn't. The Bills have 2 or 3 guys that are better at than he is. It's certainly not a reason to keep him on the team and paying him nearly $4 million. We won't be pulling any more of that Wildcat crap this year either. If on the team, Brad Smith's role will be strictly as WR, which does not make sense to me like I said.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            So what if Stevie is the only Vet at WR. I would rather keep a talented Rookie over a mediocre Vet myself.
                            I actually think the talent he is up against is not more than his own and certainly not more valuable than his experience. I did say that maybe Elliott surprises people a bit and beats him out. I'm not suggesting we cut Rogers or Graham... so...... yeah.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Jan 2010

stevie, graham, woods

Comment

Working...
                              X