PDA

View Full Version : Trade Miller and Vanek, buy out Leino and start over?

OpIv37
06-07-2013, 12:48 PM
First, let me start by saying that I think buying out Leino is a no-brainer. Just pay the man and get his cap hit off the books. If the team is going to win, and if Pegula is serious about money not being a factor, it simply has to be done.

In terms of Miller and Vanek, both are on the last year of their contract and both will be difficult to re-sign. Miller is at the end of his prime and likely will want to finish his career on a contender. Vanek is in his prime and will likely want to play for a contender as well. The Sabres are rebuilding and aren't likely to be a contender for 2-3 years. So, do we move both of these guys for prospects or younger talent and try to speed up the rebuilding process? They both have value and will likely get us good return, and they will free up a lot of cap space to sign young FA's and lock up anyone that the team feels is worth it. Or, do we keep them for another year to try to win and use their experience to help the young guys, but risk losing them for nothing?

This team lacks talent as it is, and without Miller and Vanek the talent level would be horrific, but again, we'd get good return in the trade and have tons of cap space to make moves, so the assumption would be that the talent would be replaced.

I had pretty much assumed Miller was going to be traded, but I saw yesterday that Vanek was in the same situation. At first, moving him seemed a bit crazy, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

sukie
06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a plan but those are Darcy's core guys.

OpIv37
06-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a plan but those are Darcy's core guys.

I hear ya, but Darcy moved Roy, then traded Poms and rumor is that he tried to move Stafford at the deadline but couldn't get it done. I never thought those things would have happened. Maybe canning Ruff finally woke Darcy up and he's not married to his core anymore. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

But we're rebuilding anyway. Buy out the Brad Richards Sweepstakes consolation prize, move Vanek and Miller and do this rebuilding thing right, not like when Briere and Drury left and everyone just slid up two spots on the bench.

mightysimi
06-07-2013, 04:14 PM
What do you honestly think you could get for them? Any logical trading partners in mind? I think that Stafford is a buyout candidate as well.

Myself, I could see a late first - second round pick plus a prospect for Miller. I think you could get a pick anywhere in the first round and maybe 2 prospects for Vanek.

For Miller - Philly and NYI are logical trading partners but if you want to get him out of the east, maybe Anaheim or the Oilers.

For Vanek, I think you would have many teams wanting him. STL has a lot of Free agents and MacDonald just retired. Dallas is re-tooling so they might not want to part with a draft pick but they could use someone to play with Jamie Benn. I think the Islanders too could be interested. They got a sniff of the playoffs and with some a few more pieces to play with Tavares, they could be a contender.

Either way, I think it is the right way to go. You know you won't be good for a few years so you have to retool. And leave them in the minors for a bit. Keep stocking the draft picks and bring them all up when it matters not when you have a roster spot to fill.

Night Train
06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
I'd start over and trade them. This team is rock bottom and isn't going anywhere soon. Youth movement.

BuffaloWingEater
06-07-2013, 08:37 PM
First, let me start by saying that I think buying out Leino is a no-brainer. Just pay the man and get his cap hit off the books. If the team is going to win, and if Pegula is serious about money not being a factor, it simply has to be done.

In terms of Miller and Vanek, both are on the last year of their contract and both will be difficult to re-sign. Miller is at the end of his prime and likely will want to finish his career on a contender. Vanek is in his prime and will likely want to play for a contender as well. The Sabres are rebuilding and aren't likely to be a contender for 2-3 years. So, do we move both of these guys for prospects or younger talent and try to speed up the rebuilding process? They both have value and will likely get us good return, and they will free up a lot of cap space to sign young FA's and lock up anyone that the team feels is worth it. Or, do we keep them for another year to try to win and use their experience to help the young guys, but risk losing them for nothing?

This team lacks talent as it is, and without Miller and Vanek the talent level would be horrific, but again, we'd get good return in the trade and have tons of cap space to make moves, so the assumption would be that the talent would be replaced.

I had pretty much assumed Miller was going to be traded, but I saw yesterday that Vanek was in the same situation. At first, moving him seemed a bit crazy, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

you can buy out two players. let's add stafford to the list.