• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Who are the superstars on the Bruins?

A case could be made that Chara is a superstar defensemen... one I would agree with... but outside of him and perhaps Rask, this is not a team that's riddled with high end talent.

There's a point to be made here... hockey is the hardest sport to play. It's physically painful and the cost to win is often very high.

Its not always the most talented players that reach the top... its those players that are willing to pay the steep, painful price that often make the best teammates.

"I'm not looking for the best players. I'm looking for the right ones." ~ Herb Brooks
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

Re: Who are the superstars on the Bruins?

Kreci, Bergeron, Lucic, Sequin although he hasn't looked like it lately. I guess it depends on your definition of superstar. IF you mean all-star caliber players, then those 4. If you mean like Crosby, Malkin types, then just Chara.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

In the playoffs it just takes a hot goalie to erase whatever firepower the other team has.

Rask was unbeatable and the Pens D hangs Vokoun out to dry at times = Boston sweep.

Comment

• Swiper
        • Sep 2010

They play so much better when Patrice Bergeron is healthy and in the line-up.

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

Bergeron is the best two-way forward in the game, whether you consider him a star or not I dont know. Chara and Seids are both great, Rask has certainly shown that he's a top tier guy as well.

Lucic is a bit of an enigma. He was god awful in the regular season, but in the playoffs he's been an absolute force... teams are just scared of him.

Then Horton and Krecji both have been deadly. But also not considered stars.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• mightysimi
            Buckle me in on the highway of sin
            • Mar 2010

Bergeron is money, there was a reason he was on team Canada.

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

Hockey is a lot more than who can score... it's a two-way game at it simplest, but in reality has so many subtle nuances and skills to learn that when things get tight (playoff hockey), only those teams that have more than a handful of players that understand the whole game rise to the top.

Can Neely appears to have figured that out and looks for and finds players like that.

Comment

• gebobs
                One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                • Sep 2003

Other than Chara, there really are no stars. At least not any that you would see getting lots of media drool on their jerseys. But they have a strong "work ethic", attention to fundamentals, few mistakes in their zone, a balanced attack, and a punishing forecheck.

And that punishing forecheck is one reason why I say they are a team that is built for the playoffs. Where a team might withstand the withering physical play for which the Bruins are famous in one game and then play a nice soft team like the Sabres next, no such luck in the playoffs. Like Chinese water torture, they finish one beating and their opponent is left to contemplate the next one 48 hours hence. It wears on a team.

And that balanced attack is withering too. Not a single player in the top 40 scoring in the regular season. But Krejci and Horton are tearing it up in the playoffs. Both have better than 20% shooting% and Krejci is scoring at 100+ point season pace...against playoff competition. Since that Kadri goal that put the Leafs up 4-1 in that incredible 1st round deciding game, the Bruins have outscored their opponents 32-12

I was surprised and a little disappointed that the Penguins didn't put on a better show. But witnessing such complete domination is fun too. I hope the Hawks fare better and I'm pulling for them a bit. But I expect the Bruins will take one of the first two games in Chicago and wrap it up by game 6.

I hate the Bruins. But dammit you gotta appreciate what they're doing. It's such an epic run that it would something of a shame if they lose.
                Last edited by gebobs; 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM.
                Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍