PDA

View Full Version : Has Tyler Thigpen got any sniff after the Bills?

ghz in pittsburgh
06-11-2013, 10:44 AM
The contract he signed with the Bills 3 year 11 milion (and finished) is just plain stupid.

That had to be on Gailey. Wherever Gailey has been, people say he is the kind of coach that makes his mind and it takes a lot to shake his perception. His unwavering support for Kordell, maximizing what Kordell does well instead of improving weakness area; his feud with Aikman in Dallas. In Buffalo, he cut Edwards after 2 games, never questioned Fitz, never wanted to bring someone to challenge him. Support for Fred even though CJ was better.... He brought Thigpen up in Kansas City, and trusted him to run his system even though it would be better to have a young one groomed to run his system.

Thigpen owed Gailey big time for the 11 million he collected from the Bills.

PTI
06-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Well, at one point he was going to be on Seattle as their primary backup. Backup to one of the top teams in the NFL!!!

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/2/4175578/tyler-thigpen-favorite-seahawks-quarterback

NOT THE DUDE...
06-11-2013, 11:33 AM
who gives a ****?

Generalissimus Gibby
06-11-2013, 11:35 AM
who gives a ****?

The same should be asked about Brad Smith

Skooby
06-11-2013, 11:36 AM
who gives a ****?

Bingo.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-11-2013, 11:44 AM
The contract he signed with the Bills 3 year 11 milion (and finished) is just plain stupid.

That had to be on Gailey. Wherever Gailey has been, people say he is the kind of coach that makes his mind and it takes a lot to shake his perception. His unwavering support for Kordell, maximizing what Kordell does well instead of improving weakness area; his feud with Aikman in Dallas. In Buffalo, he cut Edwards after 2 games, never questioned Fitz, never wanted to bring someone to challenge him. Support for Fred even though CJ was better.... He brought Thigpen up in Kansas City, and trusted him to run his system even though it would be better to have a young one groomed to run his system.

He got a workout from the Raiders

The Jokeman
06-11-2013, 02:49 PM

and most fans were very happy we got Thigpen as at the time we signed him he seemed like a good fit. As he played well under Gailey in KC had some starting experience etc. Personally he was a mistake but now that he's gone who cares where he ends up? Say what you want but Gailey did quite well making an offense that was lead by a former 7th Round draft pick at QB, a 7th Round draft pick at his primary WR position at an undrafted guy as his primary RB. I don't get why some fans they have to bash how bad some players, coaches etc did when they were but if you look at things more closely maybe they were doomed to fail here from the start. I'll say one this right now that whomever plays QB for this team in 2013 might struggle especially if 3 of our WRs end up being rookies.

TedMock
06-11-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm not a fan of Gailey, but you really can't blame him for not properly grooming Kordell Stewart. Gailey was Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator for only the 1996 and 1997 seasons. Before that he was their WR's coach. He obviously became familiar with Stewart as a WR and he helped create the "slash" version of 1995 and 1996. When Stewart was finally moved to full time QB, it was 1997 and Gailey's 2nd (and last) year as Pitts' OC. That year, Pittsburgh went 11-5, and Stewart through for over 3,000 yards and 21 TD's. The team obviously rode the defense much more, but that was one of Stewart's two best seasons of his short career as a starter. Arguably his best. 2nd highest yardage total, highest TD total and highest TD% of his career. Remember, Stewart only started most of the season 5 times in his entire career. He started over 10 games 5 times (16, 16, 12, 11, 16). After that the list of starts from high to low is 7, 5, 2, 2, 0, 0. Only twice did he hit 3,000 yards.

I'm sure the same analysis could be done with Thigpen, Feidler and Fitzpatrick. All hit career highs with Gailey's help, but all probably should have been looked at as guys that need to be replaced. I agree his loyalty to below average players is a huge fault. Gotta admit, though, that he seems to have a knack for getting what he can out of them. Interestingly enough, it's the more talented guys he tends to struggle with. Elway had the 2nd and 3rd highest INT totals of his career and worst 3-year record of any other 3 year period in his career. Aikman, statistically, was pretty much in line with his career, but only started 11 and 14 games in those two seasons. The big things were: 1. Aikman could not stand Gailey; 2. Aikman's record was 14-11 over those two seasons (like Elway, worse than he's used to); and 3. the team had a losing record when Emmit Smith went over 100 yards for the first time. Evidence that may suggest not all yards are created equal.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm not a fan of Gailey, but you really can't blame him for not properly grooming Kordell Stewart. Gailey was Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator for only the 1996 and 1997 seasons. Before that he was their WR's coach. He obviously became familiar with Stewart as a WR and he helped create the "slash" version of 1995 and 1996. When Stewart was finally moved to full time QB, it was 1997 and Gailey's 2nd (and last) year as Pitts' OC. That year, Pittsburgh went 11-5, and Stewart through for over 3,000 yards and 21 TD's. The team obviously rode the defense much more, but that was one of Stewart's two best seasons of his short career as a starter. Arguably his best. 2nd highest yardage total, highest TD total and highest TD% of his career. Remember, Stewart only started most of the season 5 times in his entire career. He started over 10 games 5 times (16, 16, 12, 11, 16). After that the list of starts from high to low is 7, 5, 2, 2, 0, 0. Only twice did he hit 3,000 yards.

I'm sure the same analysis could be done with Thigpen, Feidler and Fitzpatrick. All hit career highs with Gailey's help, but all probably should have been looked at as guys that need to be replaced. I agree his loyalty to below average players is a huge fault. Gotta admit, though, that he seems to have a knack for getting what he can out of them. Interestingly enough, it's the more talented guys he tends to struggle with. Elway had the 2nd and 3rd highest INT totals of his career and worst 3-year record of any other 3 year period in his career. Aikman, statistically, was pretty much in line with his career, but only started 11 and 14 games in those two seasons. The big things were: 1. Aikman could not stand Gailey; 2. Aikman's record was 14-11 over those two seasons (like Elway, worse than he's used to); and 3. the team had a losing record when Emmit Smith went over 100 yards for the first time. Evidence that may suggest not all yards are created equal.

My thought in watching Gailey is that he can make very bad QBs into average QBs. But I have not yet seen him turn an average QB into an excellent one. I'm not sure he can make that leap.

Homegrown
06-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Tyler is currently Craig Nall's wingman ...

better days
06-12-2013, 09:39 AM

Yeah, he should have cut Edwards before those two games were lost with Trent at QB.

Luisito23
06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
They've sniffed him, and threw him back.

JoeMama
06-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Thigpen won't gain much traction on the market.

His best season was as a rookie and it's all been downhill from there. Whatever minor, fleeting promise he showed has completely burned out.

He truly looked awful in preseason and spot duty for the Bills.

Parzival
06-12-2013, 09:53 AM

His best season was as a rookie and it's all been downhill from there. Whatever minor, fleeting promise he showed has completely burned out.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3105051/tyler-thigpen-hit-in-head-o.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/3105051/tyler-thigpen-hit-in-head.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com)

Bill Cody
06-12-2013, 09:56 AM

He is terrible

PTI
06-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Beyond bizarre to say Thigpen looked awful in Bills games he played in the regular season.Dude played in 2 games that were blowouts and threw a total of 13 passes over 2 seasons.

Not here to say he good, just to say it is absolutely stupid to say he looked bad in those games where the Bills had already given up.

JoeMama
06-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Oops, a quick correction: Tyler Thigpen's best season was actually his sophomore year.

Anyway it's irrelevant now. I think his stint in the NFL is over.

DynaPaul
06-12-2013, 11:33 AM
He made me a nice Beef and Cheddar at Arby's the other day in East Seneca.

gebobs
06-12-2013, 07:31 PM
and most fans were very happy we got Thigpen as at the time we signed him he seemed like a good fit.
LOLwhut? I missed that memo.