PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Kolb Interview

ghz in pittsburgh
06-12-2013, 11:32 AM
http://audio.wgr550.com/a/76136022/6-12-kevin-kolb-on-the-bills-quarterback-competition-and-new-offensive-scheme.htm

Definitely future coach material I might add. The last 13 years, I heard a parade of QBs talk in Buffalo. Set aside the off field stuff (jokes self promotions, etc.), this guy sounds as football cerebral as any of them, right up there with Flutie. I don't mean to elevate him and put down others based on one interview. I'm sure all the QBs starting in NFL have sound football knowledge, Xs and Os. But this guy seems to be able to explain well, which is why I think a good chance he may be coaching afterwards, or going to the booth. EJ should open his mouth ask often.

I wonder who he is refering to in his past experience that the offense that he's not agreeing to. Whisenhunt? they must have extended exchange before the big trade with the Eagles, and if he's not comfortable with Whisenhunt's system, he'd not have signed the extension I'd guess. It might be Reid who traded him once and didn't try to get him in Kansas City.

justasportsfan
06-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Flutie cerebral? Flutie was not a X and O guy. He was awesome at disorganized football.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-12-2013, 12:20 PM
You will be surprised about Flutie's football knowledge. Everywhere you read about him, anyone coached flutie will tell you he's really into strategy etc. No wonder he's picked up by the network to do college ball. During his playing days, he did not want to talk about anything in depth about game strategy, instead he'd say stuff appeal to general public. Kind of like Brady who never gets into any depth in front of a reporter. Manning, on the other hand, is more comfortable talking about Xs and Os.

JoeMama
06-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Kevin Kolb hunts wild boars with a bowie knife. He was awesome before this interview.

This interview didn't do much for me. Don't get me wrong, his responses were very smart and PR friendly but I appreciate a little more candor than this.

justasportsfan
06-12-2013, 02:09 PM
You will be surprised about Flutie's football knowledge. Everywhere you read about him, anyone coached flutie will tell you he's really into strategy etc. No wonder he's picked up by the network to do college ball. During his playing days, he did not want to talk about anything in depth about game strategy, instead he'd say stuff appeal to general public. Kind of like Brady who never gets into any depth in front of a reporter. Manning, on the other hand, is more comfortable talking about Xs and Os.actually what I read about him is that he's an OC nightmare who doesn't listen which is why he's had to scramble a lot. He's great at improvising .

ghz in pittsburgh
06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
actually what I read about him is that he's an OC nightmare who doesn't listen which is why he's had to scramble a lot. He's great at improvising .

Which is very true. A lot of guys who think they are smarter than you are do this type of things. Flutie did that for years in Canada, held in the first year in NFL then went back to be himself. It's not a surprise he was not always the best teamates or team player!

To be honest with you, I heard Kolb can be like that discussing game plans, though he really hasn't established in NFL to behave like Flutie. One reason I have a little more hope with him this season is exactly what he said in the interview - he seems to be on the same page with Marrone's offense from the get-go, which happens to be a similar offense that he ran in Houston. Don't under-estimate the power of your QB and OC/HC completely in sync, just look at what Gailey and Fitz had accomplished offensively and you can argue Kolb has a much better pedigree than Fitz coming out of college.

jimmifli
06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Which is very true. A lot of guys who think they are smarter than you are do this type of things.
But Flutie was smarter than Joe Pendry.

Extremebillsfan247
06-12-2013, 05:17 PM
I think Kolb will do well here. I'll be honest, I wasn't exactly ecstatic about his signing, but he's growing on me. He does handle himself well in an interview. Very intuitive in my opinion.

The last buffalo fan
06-12-2013, 05:20 PM
But Flutie was smarter than Joe Pendry.Pendry was Flutie's Chan Gailey.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Remember that Monday Night game highlighted by Gabe Northern's TD return off Marino's sack and fumble? The whole game Wade sticked to his D and running the ball. After the Dolphins pulled within 2 points or something like less than one score, Flutie came out pass pass pass all the way to Moulds TD. I still remember Flutie said after the game that at that point, HE decided to wing it, "whatever happens happens." --- when you win, no one questions anything.

Meathead
06-12-2013, 08:12 PM
sticked?

better days
06-12-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm happy to see others coming around & getting on the Kolb bus. EJ however is just as impressive as Kolb, both in his interviews & on the field.

After all these years, how ironic if we now have two GOOD QBs on the team. And TJAX was not as bad as Fitz.

Typ0
06-12-2013, 11:15 PM
It's about time we had a decent QB on this team!!!

ghz in pittsburgh
06-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Reps, Reps ...

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/6/12/4421248/buffalo-bills-quarterback-battle-kevin-kolb-ej-manuel-splitting-reps

jimmifli
06-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Pendry was Flutie's Chan Gailey.

Oh man I wish. Someone like Chan could have been awesome for Flutie.

Pendry was more like Dave Wannstedt. He was "committed to the run" and just wanted Antowain Smith to run into a guard's ass and fall down 3 times in a row.