PDA

View Full Version : So this LB thumper, Desmond Bishop, is about to hit the market

ghz in pittsburgh
06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/11/packers-preparing-to-release-desmond-bishop/

Definitely he fits a need for the Bills this year. I'm not sure about the future and his injury is a concern. But to get him to Buffalo, the Bills would have to pay big time, and ... we are developing Bradham and Alonso inside, do we really need someone to take away their reps and plays this season? We'll see what Whaley thinks; I think he would've scouted him back then.

tatersalad
06-12-2013, 12:14 PM
He is a Thumper no doubt, we can always use a guy like that

ghz in pittsburgh
06-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Mark Anderson for Bishop is a fair deal.

Mouldsie
06-12-2013, 03:49 PM
I love Bishop

Bert102176
06-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Would be nice to get him but I doubt the Bills do something smart like that

IlluminatusUIUC
06-12-2013, 04:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/11/packers-preparing-to-release-desmond-bishop/

Definitely he fits a need for the Bills this year. I'm not sure about the future and his injury is a concern. But to get him to Buffalo, the Bills would have to pay big time, and ... we are developing Bradham and Alonso inside, do we really need someone to take away their reps and plays this season? We'll see what Whaley thinks; I think he would've scouted him back then.

I dunno how much the Bills would really have to lay out for this guy, he's coming off an injury that's lasted almost a full calendar year. He's only 28 and has had success. Worth a look.

GvilleBills
06-12-2013, 08:57 PM
I gotta pass. Dude is coming off injury, but not cheaply. That was the stalling point in GB.
Taking away reps from young'uns, not cool. Once they get comfortable and can play to their speed, Bradham and Alonso should be a lot of fun in Pettine's D.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Taking away reps from young'uns, not cool.

The injury is one thing, but why are we talking about this guy like a creaky old vet? He's 28. He came out in the 2007 draft.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-13-2013, 07:54 AM
no. we have solid guys there in Alonso, bradham, moats, scott, and dowtin as a hybrid. plus white and pough are decent camp bodies. no spots are available man

The Jokeman
06-13-2013, 09:39 AM
no. we have solid guys there in Alonso, bradham, moats, scott, and dowtin as a hybrid. plus white and pough are decent camp bodies. no spots are available man

The Packers rushing D in 2011, with Bishop, ranked 14th, the Bills 28th. In 2010 they ranked 18th, we ranked 32nd. Say what you want but guys like Moats, Scott and White are inferior to Bishop. To me you bring him in, especially since we have a roster spot open with T-Jax cut. At the very least he can improve our depth but more than likely start on the inside and might allow us to shift Bradham back to the outside and let Mark Anderson be a nickel pass rusher which his best role.

Night Train
06-13-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm asking. Can Bishop..

1. Run more than 5 yards
2. Cover

If he's strictly a run plugger, then he's a better Sheppard...and Pettine doesn't want that..

justasportsfan
06-13-2013, 09:53 AM
the bills have barely seen what the active guys they have can do. Why bring in someone who's going to be watching them?

GvilleBills
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
The injury is one thing, but why are we talking about this guy like a creaky old vet? He's 28. He came out in the 2007 draft.

Not that he's ancient, just that he would take reps from our youth that's here, healthy, and presumably scheme fits.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-13-2013, 11:27 AM
The Packers rushing D in 2011, with Bishop, ranked 14th, the Bills 28th. In 2010 they ranked 18th, we ranked 32nd. Say what you want but guys like Moats, Scott and White are inferior to Bishop. To me you bring him in, especially since we have a roster spot open with T-Jax cut. At the very least he can improve our depth but more than likely start on the inside and might allow us to shift Bradham back to the outside and let Mark Anderson be a nickel pass rusher which his best role.

1 WORD- wanstache. secondly, bradham needs to develop in year two and Alonso has looked like a big time talent in otas.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Not that he's ancient, just that he would take reps from our youth that's here, healthy, and presumably scheme fits.

The Packers play a 3-4 as well, and it's not so different that GB's 3-4 ILB would be lost in ours. And it's not really a concern if he "takes reps" from a young guy if he outperforms him. At 28 he could be a high level starter probably for 4 more years before we'd have to be concerned with age. It's not like Dansby who's already 31 and past his prime.

Skooby
06-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Pass, IR is only a play away.

GvilleBills
06-13-2013, 04:09 PM
The Packers play a 3-4 as well, and it's not so different that GB's 3-4 ILB would be lost in ours. And it's not really a concern if he "takes reps" from a young guy if he outperforms him. At 28 he could be a high level starter probably for 4 more years before we'd have to be concerned with age. It's not like Dansby who's already 31 and past his prime.

He's a better Dansby, but is he a good fit for this D? And at what price? The days of top $ for a 2 down backer are gone.

GvilleBills
06-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Pass, IR is only a play away.

You do realize this describes, literally, everyone in the NFL.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-13-2013, 04:19 PM
He's a better Dansby, but is he a good fit for this D?

Like I said, I don't think the transition is that big.

And at what price? The days of top $ for a 2 down backer are gone.

That's always the question. Who knows what he's worth or what he'd accept? Not being willing to restructure gives one pause, but it's pretty late in the game for a free agent to hit the market.

GvilleBills
06-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Like I said, I don't think the transition is that big.

That's always the question. Who knows what he's worth or what he'd accept? Not being willing to restructure gives one pause, but it's pretty late in the game for a free agent to hit the market.
I think I remember an article that put the $ in the 5mil/yr range, which GB balked at. Bring him in for a physical, if Pettine thinks he can make an impact go for it. You're right, market is usually pretty bare at this time.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Mark Anderson for Bishop is a fair deal.

dumb as hell.... never trade pass rushers

ghz in pittsburgh
06-14-2013, 06:07 AM
dumb as hell.... never trade pass rushers
Last I checked, Anderson hasn't rushed passer for the Bills. Looked to be out of place in this new scheme. Yah situational passer, for what we paid for him? Jerry Hughes is a more natural 3-4 pass rusher.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Last I checked, Anderson hasn't rushed passer for the Bills. Looked to be out of place in this new scheme. Yah situational passer, for what we paid for him? Jerry Hughes is a more natural 3-4 pass rusher.

umm, he had 10.5 sacks and 3 sacks in the playoffs for the pats. in a 34 hybrid. wow... if you cant recognize premium pass rusher ability on the edge like Anderson, then you know very little about football talent. especially on the dline

The last buffalo fan
06-18-2013, 05:35 PM
umm, he had 10.5 sacks and 3 sacks in the playoffs for the pats. in a 34 hybrid. wow... if you cant recognize premium pass rusher ability on the edge like Anderson, then you know very little about football talent. especially on the dline
You rule, dude!

Bert102176
06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Well. He is out there and surprise he isn't visiting the Bills