PDA

View Full Version : CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THE RULES ON THE BYRD HOLDOUT?

NOT THE DUDE...
06-15-2013, 08:55 AM
can we franchise him an unlimited amount of times? what if the bills don't let him play come week 10 if he sits out? is he still a ufa next year, or does he lose a year?

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the new cba had franchise tag rules

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1552109-nfl-franchise-tag-everything-you-need-to-know here we go. so yeah, we can franchise him multiple times. but the cost gets crazy. imo, with the addition of duke Williams, and jonathan meeks, along with aaron Williams playing great in otas, I think we are going to trade him

- - - Updated - - -

mana silva and Dominique ellis are decent camp prospects too, been with the team for two years

I just hope we at least get a 1st. I know jerry jones needs a safety, and the lions might too with delmas being hurt so much

GingerP
06-15-2013, 09:19 AM
I just hope we at least get a 1st. I know jerry jones needs a safety, and the lions might too with delmas being hurt so much

Here is one rule: You can't trade a player not under contract, and Byrd is not under contract. Unless he signs the tender, you can't trade him. The Bills maintain his rights, so no other team can negotiate with him. Plus, Dallas isn't an option, they have been struggling to say under the cap all offseason.

Another rule: The Bills have until mid-July to sign him to an extension. After that, he can only play on the 1-year deal. Thus, people are getting worried a little early, since there is another month to negotiate and nothing is likely to get done until closer to the deadline.

If the deadline passes and the Bills fail to extend him, he most likely signs the tender before the season. Yeah, he will miss a lot of offseason work, but $6.9M works out to over $400K per week and that is a lot of give up. Byrd has made about $4M over his career, before taxes, so earning 10% of that each week isn't a bad option. He could, if he chooses, wait until week 10 to sign and still get credit for playing the year, but he would be giving up the equivalent of what he has made in the NFL thus far. That isn't happening.

If he does play out the year and earn the $6.9M, he will be an UFA again. The Bills can franchise him again if they wish, but it will cost them 120% of this year's tender, about $8.3M. If they are willing to pay him over $15M in the next 2 years seems to me they should just sign him long-term.

They could franchise him again a 3rd time, but that isn't happening. His tender would be based on the top-5 players in the NFL regardless of position, and the Bills aren't paying him QB money.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Here is one rule: You can't trade a player not under contract, and Byrd is not under contract. Unless he signs the tender, you can't trade him. The Bills maintain his rights, so no other team can negotiate with him. Plus, Dallas isn't an option, they have been struggling to say under the cap all offseason.

Another rule: The Bills have until mid-July to sign him to an extension. After that, he can only play on the 1-year deal. Thus, people are getting worried a little early, since there is another month to negotiate and nothing is likely to get done until closer to the deadline.

If the deadline passes and the Bills fail to extend him, he most likely signs the tender before the season. Yeah, he will miss a lot of offseason work, but $6.9M works out to over $400K per week and that is a lot of give up. Byrd has made about $4M over his career, before taxes, so earning 10% of that each week isn't a bad option. He could, if he chooses, wait until week 10 to sign and still get credit for playing the year, but he would be giving up the equivalent of what he has made in the NFL thus far. That isn't happening.

If he does play out the year and earn the $6.9M, he will be an UFA again. The Bills can franchise him again if they wish, but it will cost them 120% of this year's tender, about $8.3M. If they are willing to pay him over $15M in the next 2 years seems to me they should just sign him long-term.

They could franchise him again a 3rd time, but that isn't happening. His tender would be based on the top-5 players in the NFL regardless of position, and the Bills aren't paying him QB money.
but what if he chooses to sit out the whole year? the bills still hold his rights under the 1st year franchise rule, correct?

- - - Updated - - -

I just think we should trade him. I like him, hes really good, but hes not a premium pass rusher, wr, lt, qb... idk

GingerP
06-15-2013, 09:29 AM
but what if he chooses to sit out the whole year? the bills still hold his rights under the 1st year franchise rule, correct?

- - - Updated - - -

I just think we should trade him. I like him, hes really good, but hes not a premium pass rusher, wr, lt, qb... idk

If he stays out beyond week 10 he does not get credit for a year in the league. So yes, his tender would be the same as this year. He also would get a year less credit toward the league retirement benefits, which would mean he gets less when he is done playing.

He isn't sitting out the year, it would be monumentally stupid. In fact, he isn't going to miss any games in a practical sense. A guy who has only earned $4M thus far in his career (pre-tax) is going to take every penny of the almost $7M he will be paid for this year. Yeah, he would like a long term deal, but he still gets a lot more money for this year.

Again, they can't trade him until he signs the tender. If he waits until late in training camp to sign, it is unlikely a team is going to give up big compensation for him once the season starts.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-15-2013, 10:01 AM
If he stays out beyond week 10 he does not get credit for a year in the league. So yes, his tender would be the same as this year. He also would get a year less credit toward the league retirement benefits, which would mean he gets less when he is done playing.

He isn't sitting out the year, it would be monumentally stupid. In fact, he isn't going to miss any games in a practical sense. A guy who has only earned $4M thus far in his career (pre-tax) is going to take every penny of the almost $7M he will be paid for this year. Yeah, he would like a long term deal, but he still gets a lot more money for this year.

Again, they can't trade him until he signs the tender. If he waits until late in training camp to sign, it is unlikely a team is going to give up big compensation for him once the season starts.

so hes going to pretty much play the year on a 1 year deal. not really any choice... but if that's the case, and im sure the bills don't want to franchise him again, wouldn't they just trade him? but that cant happen until he signs. why doesn't he just sign then, its actually hurting him

- - - Updated - - -

I know its otas, but still. the better aaron Williams and duke Williams played, the less leverage he has

SquishDaFish
06-15-2013, 10:54 AM
If he signs his tender and the Bills dont franchise him again he walks free. He will sign his tender right before the season and prob play final preseason game and then play out the year. BUT I still think he might sign longterm before then

Skooby
06-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Here is one rule: You can't trade a player not under contract, and Byrd is not under contract. Unless he signs the tender, you can't trade him. The Bills maintain his rights, so no other team can negotiate with him.

Just imagine the exact opposite of this, then you'd be right.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-15-2013, 01:14 PM
The Bills maintain his rights, so no other team can negotiate with him.

You are incorrect. Byrd received the non-exclusive tender, which means that other teams can indeed negotiate with him. However if they actually signed him to an offer sheet, the Bills would get to match or take two first rounders, which means it will never happen.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/03/with-non-exclusive-tag-jairus-byrd-still-may-sign-offer-sheet.html

NOT THE DUDE...
06-15-2013, 01:53 PM
im guessing we can probably get a 2nd and 4th... just being realistic. that's not bad

- - - Updated - - -

the raiders are dumb though

BertSquirtgum
06-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Byrd is a being a ***** just like Peters. It's not a coincidence that they have the same agent. Eugene Parker is a worthless human being. I say good riddance. Trade him. This team doesn't need me me me players.

GingerP
06-15-2013, 03:20 PM
You are incorrect. Byrd received the non-exclusive tender, which means that other teams can indeed negotiate with him. However if they actually signed him to an offer sheet, the Bills would get to match or take two first rounders, which means it will never happen.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/03/with-non-exclusive-tag-jairus-byrd-still-may-sign-offer-sheet.html

That ship has sailed. Like RFA, any player on a tender can only negotiate with other teams during the signing period. Like RFA, the signing period ends the week before the draft.

Thus, at this point, he can't negotiate with anyone but the Bills. With the Bills, he can only negotiate a long-term deal up to July 15th. After that, he can only play on the 1-year contract tendered at the start of FA.

The Bills can only trade him if he signs his tender and it becomes a contract. You need a contract to trade a player, you can't trade a tender. That means any deal made would require the Bills to grant another team the right to negotiate a contract, said team agreeing to a long-term deal with Byrd, and then for the Bills and that team to agree on compensation. At that point, Byrd could sign his tender and be traded. It is doubtful to happen at this point, and it isn't an easy process. Byrd needs to agree to sign the tender, until he does he has come control over if he is traded.

There is still another month for the Bills and Byrd to work out a long-term deal. Let's see what happens. If they can't agree, Byrd likely reports before the season starts, although in theory he could hold out until week 10 and still get credited with a year of service. I doubt he does that, he isn't going to leave $4M on the table.

One other possibility is the Bills can pull the tender, making him a FA. It isn't guaranteed until he signs it. It is doubtful the Bills would just give up rights to him, but that is the other possibility.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-15-2013, 03:29 PM
That ship has sailed. Like RFA, any player on a tender can only negotiate with other teams during the signing period. Like RFA, the signing period ends the week before the draft.

Thus, at this point, he can't negotiate with anyone but the Bills. With the Bills, he can only negotiate a long-term deal up to July 15th. After that, he can only play on the 1-year contract tendered at the start of FA.

The Bills can only trade him if he signs his tender and it becomes a contract. You need a contract to trade a player, you can't trade a tender. That means any deal made would require the Bills to grant another team the right to negotiate a contract, said team agreeing to a long-term deal with Byrd, and then for the Bills and that team to agree on compensation. At that point, Byrd could sign his tender and be traded. It is doubtful to happen at this point, and it isn't an easy process. Byrd needs to agree to sign the tender, until he does he has come control over if he is traded.

There is still another month for the Bills and Byrd to work out a long-term deal. Let's see what happens. If they can't agree, Byrd likely reports before the season starts, although in theory he could hold out until week 10 and still get credited with a year of service. I doubt he does that, he isn't going to leave $4M on the table.

One other possibility is the Bills can pull the tender, making him a FA. It isn't guaranteed until he signs it. It is doubtful the Bills would just give up rights to him, but that is the other possibility.

Right, I always forget that period ends in april

NOT THE DUDE...
06-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Just trade him. I don't know why byrd is even doing this, its hurting him. the only thing I can think of is he doesn't want to risk injury until he signs a tender or new long term deal... but he would have said that... idk...

Extremebillsfan247
06-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Here is one rule: You can't trade a player not under contract, and Byrd is not under contract. Unless he signs the tender, you can't trade him. The Bills maintain his rights, so no other team can negotiate with him. Plus, Dallas isn't an option, they have been struggling to say under the cap all offseason. Another rule: The Bills have until mid-July to sign him to an extension. After that, he can only play on the 1-year deal. Thus, people are getting worried a little early, since there is another month to negotiate and nothing is likely to get done until closer to the deadline. If the deadline passes and the Bills fail to extend him, he most likely signs the tender before the season. Yeah, he will miss a lot of offseason work, but $6.9M works out to over $400K per week and that is a lot of give up. Byrd has made about $4M over his career, before taxes, so earning 10% of that each week isn't a bad option. He could, if he chooses, wait until week 10 to sign and still get credit for playing the year, but he would be giving up the equivalent of what he has made in the NFL thus far. That isn't happening. If he does play out the year and earn the $6.9M, he will be an UFA again. The Bills can franchise him again if they wish, but it will cost them 120% of this year's tender, about $8.3M. If they are willing to pay him over $15M in the next 2 years seems to me they should just sign him long-term. They could franchise him again a 3rd time, but that isn't happening. His tender would be based on the top-5 players in the NFL regardless of position, and the Bills aren't paying him QB money. I was going to enter with a similar response until I read this one. Good post.

tatersalad
06-15-2013, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=GingerP;3806603]Here is one rule: You can't trade a player not under contract, and Byrd is not under contract. Unless he signs the tender, you can't trade him. The Bills maintain his rights, so no other team can negotiate with him. Plus, Dallas isn't an option, they have been struggling to say under the cap all offseason.

They could franchise him again a 3rd time, but that isn't happening. His tender would be based on the top-5 players in the NFL regardless of position, and the Bills aren't paying him QB money.[/QU

the cost to franchise him this yr and next yr is still a million and a half cheaper than what he is asking the Bills would be right to do it both times, he really has no leverage he holdouts loses millions in a game as violebt as football? not gonna happen Parker is smart not dumb on any scale he will get done this yr

GingerP
06-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Just trade him. I don't know why byrd is even doing this, its hurting him. the only thing I can think of is he doesn't want to risk injury until he signs a tender or new long term deal... but he would have said that... idk...

The franchise tag took away his chance at the market, so the only leverage he has left is not signing the tender. He has another month to work out an extension with the Bills, so this is part of the negotiation.

I'm not sure why people get all worked up, this is the business side of the game. He and the team have until July 15 to work out a long-term deal. This isn't some grudge or personal vendetta. The closer they get to the deadline, the more urgency both sides will have toward reaching a deal. Right now there is no need to panic.

If the July 15 deadline passes, he likely will sign the tender before the season. He will get a guaranteed $6.9M for 2013 and look to score his deal in FA in 2014. That is what Dashon Goldson did with SF, and it worked out for him. He played 2012 on the tag and scored a 5-Yr/$41.25M total value/#22M guaranteed deal with Tampa.

BertSquirtgum
06-15-2013, 10:25 PM
The franchise tag took away his chance at the market, so the only leverage he has left is not signing the tender. He has another month to work out an extension with the Bills, so this is part of the negotiation.

I'm not sure why people get all worked up, this is the business side of the game. He and the team have until July 15 to work out a long-term deal. This isn't some grudge or personal vendetta. The closer they get to the deadline, the more urgency both sides will have toward reaching a deal. Right now there is no need to panic.

If the July 15 deadline passes, he likely will sign the tender before the season. He will get a guaranteed $6.9M for 2013 and look to score his deal in FA in 2014. That is what Dashon Goldson did with SF, and it worked out for him. He played 2012 on the tag and scored a 5-Yr/$41.25M total value/#22M guaranteed deal with Tampa.

because this team has new coaches and when the ******* decides to show up he's going to be way behind everyone else.

DraftBoy
06-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I know its otas, but still. the better aaron Williams and duke Williams played, the less leverage he has
No it doesn't at all.

Mace
06-15-2013, 11:15 PM
He's going to sign within what is in their world an odd few hundred thousand dollars and be revered as a hero here until he blows because he got fat and content off a few odd hundred k ignoring the related millions. It will become a statement on his professional integrity, like he could easily get that much working at Walmart like ordinary people, and he's a great hero to the working man who lusts after the few 100k or 6 because he's ensuring the future of his kids.

Personally, whether or not you like him or he's any good, I think I'd go nuts with gleeful if Stafford from Detroit signs a 1 million dollar a year contract with 10 million bonuses per playoff win.

He won't though, and I'm real tired of Byrd's dorking around whether or not he's gods gift to free safety, like it won us so many games previously, because he's not going to sign a contract that needs him to actually play well to make money so wave at him, slap him in the face with Pettine's crazy new attacking defense of the day and send him to a good team like Cleveland to have some fun being a free safety of awesomeness.

Meathead
06-16-2013, 12:15 AM
official odds on byrds contract sitch:

97.8% - signs an extension prior to the franchise deadline
2.1% - plays out the season under the tag
0.1% - holds out into the season

TigerJ
06-16-2013, 08:50 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I just think we should trade him. I like him, hes really good, but hes not a premium pass rusher, wr, lt, qb... idkThe Bills would still hold his rights. If he doesn't negotiate a long term deal by July 15, that window closes and all he can do is sign or not sign his tender. He has until mid November to sign and still get credit for his pension. If he fails to do so, it's essentially a lost season for him. What I don't know is whether or not a team to which he is traded would have the ability to negotiate a long term deal after July 15.

BillsFever21
06-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Here we go again with all these great players performing in OTA's that can easily take his spot and not miss a beat. Pretty soon we'll be down to camp fodder players as guys that can step in and play free safety for us. We're stacked everywhere with starters as our depth.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Here we go again with all these great players performing in OTA's that can easily take his spot and not miss a beat. Pretty soon we'll be down to camp fodder players as guys that can step in and play free safety for us. We're stacked everywhere with starters as our depth.

you do realize fs is one of the easiest position to replace in the nfl... the position has little value in the game

IlluminatusUIUC
06-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Are you busy on Sundays, Billsfever? I figure you and I can jump right in and be the 3-4 Inside Linebackers we need.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Are you busy on Sundays, Billsfever? I figure you and I can jump right in and be the 3-4 Inside Linebackers we need.

take things to the extreme much?

BillsFever21
06-19-2013, 06:00 PM

I work every 3rd weekend but for the minimum NFL pay I'll gladly quit my job to help fill in. I'm only 70 inches tall so I might be too small for the LB spot. I'll have to fill the safety role on the team.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-19-2013, 06:18 PM
I work every 3rd weekend but for the minimum NFL pay I'll gladly quit my job to help fill in. I'm only 70 inches tall so I might be too small for the LB spot. I'll have to fill the safety role on the team.

can you be an emergency qb?

BillsFever21
06-19-2013, 08:10 PM
can you be an emergency qb?

I can be an emergency QB without a problem. I can hand the ball off and throw some short screens and dump offs. That's about all Brad Smith is good for as an emergency QB anyway.