PDA

View Full Version : Who do you WANT and who WILL start at QB Week 1?

Meathead
06-16-2013, 07:53 AM
and please no guessing

swiper
06-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Gotta see what a healthy Kolb can give you with a good line in front of him.

tampabay25690
06-16-2013, 08:55 AM
I want Kolb to start and I think Kolb will start.

I dont want EJ thrown out there opening day, Kolb right now gives us the best chance to win.

Meathead
06-16-2013, 09:55 AM
ive been trying to keep rough tabs on the fans choice and it seems like just after manuel was drafted most folks thought it was a better idea for kolb to start but as weve moved along its appeared to sway in favor of manuel. i will try to remember to do another one or two polls as we move through camp

the question boils down to do you want to try to win now or just throw in the towel and let manuel take his lumps early. id say the bills have about a fifteen percent chance to make the playoffs and that would require both the qb and the defensive play to improve dramatically. id say the defense has a better chance of doing that then the qb spot, but if either qb is going to become top third effective it almost has to be kolb

personally id like to see them try to make the playoffs every season if possible. sometimes you obviously have no shot, but it is within a small realistic possibility that kolb finally emerges and lifts them into playoff contenders. add in the fact that kolbs ascention would give them enormous value to trade next season and its the option i hope they kick off game one with. its been a long time since the bills have created that kind of magic, i want them to take a shot at it

BertSquirtgum
06-16-2013, 10:23 AM
I voted corn Kolb and Kolb.

SABURZFAN
06-16-2013, 11:39 AM
i want the guy who has grasp of the offense by the end of August.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-16-2013, 12:07 PM
I voted Manuel should start. The Patriots are a great team, but they don't have some swarming, back-breaking defense. It's not like rolling EJ out against the 49ers to get battered by Aldon Smith. I say get the Manuel era started early.

CoolBreeze
06-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Yes, I would like the smarter slightly faster Daunte Culpepper to start. I expect him too as well.. For the record though I wouldn't be upset to see Kolb start over Manuel. I think both could succeed

ServoBillieves
06-16-2013, 06:39 PM
I was almost the first person to put "I want Kolb but it will be Manuel.", but I think that's a tough addition although necessary.

No one wants Kolb to start but would be upset with Manuel stepping in day 1 (I don't think, if so please tell me) because we want to know what our #1 soon-to-be-franchise guy can do but we want the proven starter (although not always great) to win.

I want Kolb, as Swiper said, to start behind a healthy line to see if he can give EJ time to develop, ala Aaron Rodgers (although not even close to a comparison unless EJ because a phenom).

Skooby
06-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Manuel will start.

OpIv37
06-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Bring Manuel along slowly.

Don't let his first start be a blowout division loss to the most evil team in the history of sports. Let Kolb take his lumps while EJ learns- give him cleanup duty and hopefully have him starting by the end of the season.

We don't want to shell-shock EJ like we did to Losman and Edwards.

TigerJ
06-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Since nobody really knows for certain, every prediction is by definition going to be a guess, Meathead. I don't have a prediction, so it appears I'm not guessing, nor do I have strong feelings about it. I just hope the coaching staff makes the right decision.

Skooby
06-16-2013, 09:27 PM
EJ will rot behind Kolb, he's a glass figurine in a big display case. You'll love some of his passes but he'll be distant as soon as it gets to it, I'd tater EJ learn now & take his lumps.

ServoBillieves
06-16-2013, 09:48 PM
EJ will rot behind Kolb, he's a glass figurine in a big display case. You'll love some of his passes but he'll be distant as soon as it gets to it, I'd tater EJ learn now & take his lumps.

French fried taters rmmhmm

Mouldsie
06-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Ugh.

I don't really care as long as it's the best man in a legit competition.

But I don't have much faith in either guy.

kishoph
06-17-2013, 03:15 AM
I'd like to see Manuel get it, but I think it will be Kolb. I know all we've seen so far is the OTA's, but if starting Manuel was the plan, I think he would of getting the majority of the reps. I'm pretty sure not once did he have the most reps in a practice.

Yasgur's Farm
06-17-2013, 08:29 AM
I voted Manuel/Manuel... But I don't think it will be that clear cut. I can see a 5 snap per game Manuel thing as he would come into the game like in a wildcat/read option role. The difference (from Brad Smith) is that Manuel is a credible threat to throw the ball.

This will give him game reps and experience... Sort of ease him in.

justasportsfan
06-17-2013, 08:48 AM
I want Manuel only because it would mean he's separated himself and has become better than Kolb. Who wouldn't want your rookie to be better than a vet from the get go? That's a good sign of things to come.

......But i think it will be Kolb

Night Train
06-17-2013, 09:00 AM
I WANT Kate Upton.

I want Manuel to progress enough to start week 1...but I'll settle for Kolb initially if I can have Kate.

Meathead
06-17-2013, 10:44 AM
I want Manuel only because it would mean he's separated himself and has become better than Kolb. Who wouldn't want your rookie to be better than a vet from the get go?

thats a good point and put that way i guess id want manuel too. i was really more focusing on the try to win now or try to build now question, but yeah youre right if he really won the job outright that would be best

realistically though i think kolb would really have to suck to not be able to beat out a rookie, especially one who everyone including his current oc says he has a ton to learn

and again, if kolb does shine this season we will be able to get as much as a first for him next spring/summer and then hand the job to manuel. the bills really lose very little if anything to let kolb start the year and see how it goes. chances are manuel is going to get to play eventually anyway so you might as well see if you can get immediate/future value out of kolb

EDS
06-17-2013, 10:52 AM
I would be happy if there was a real competition, where Kolb looked good, but Manuel beat him out. I don't expect that to be the case, but I think it would bode well for the future.

justasportsfan
06-17-2013, 10:55 AM
thats a good point and put that way i guess id want manuel too. i was really more focusing on the try to win now or try to build now question, but yeah youre right if he really won the job outright that would be best

realistically though i think kolb would really have to suck to not be able to beat out a rookie, especially one who everyone including his current oc says he has a ton to learn

and again, if kolb does shine this season we will be able to get as much as a first for him next spring/summer and then hand the job to manuel. the bills really lose very little if anything to let kolb start the year and see how it goes. chances are manuel is going to get to play eventually anyway so you might as well see if you can get immediate/future value out of kolb
With regards to Kolb, I wonder if Marrone and Hackett are not able to run the read option and are limited just like they were with Nassib.

justasportsfan
06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
I would be happy if there was a real competition, where Kolb looked good, but Manuel beat him out. I don't expect that to be the case, but I think it would bode well for the future.

I expect a real competition which is why they got rid of Tjax so they can concentrate on just Kolb and EJ.

Oaf
06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
The last thing I want is Losman to be given the reigns only to be replaced by Holcomb in week 4 all over again.

JoeMama
06-17-2013, 11:31 AM
I trust Marrone to make the right call.

I don't have a strong preference between Kolb and Manuel.

I just want one of them to be better than advertised.

Kolb's an underachieving journeyman.

Manuel was a mediocre passer in college, which is troublesome for a rookie entering the NFL.

Fingers crossed...

swiper
06-17-2013, 12:36 PM
I voted Manuel should start. The Patriots are a great team, but they don't have some swarming, back-breaking defense. It's not like rolling EJ out against the 49ers to get battered by Aldon Smith. I say get the Manuel era started early.

New coaches. New schemes. Putting Manuel in would be too much "new" in that game. The Patriots may not have a swarming, back-breaking defense - but they are smart. Their coach is smart. That would be too much imo.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-17-2013, 12:49 PM
New coaches. New schemes. Putting Manuel in would be too much "new" in that game. The Patriots may not have a swarming, back-breaking defense - but they are smart. Their coach is smart. That would be too much imo.

And what's the worst that could happen? We get blown out by the Pats? 9/10ths of the board expects that already, and it would likely happen with Kolb anyway. I think people are worried about Manuel somehow being "ruined" if he suffers a blowout loss in his first game, but why? If he went out there and got smacked around all day, I could maybe see their point but that's not really the Patriots' style.

Kiko Alonso is in all likelihood going to get his ass kicked out there, but no one is concerned about ruining him. Why not?

swiper
06-17-2013, 12:51 PM
One would hope the new coach would do everything in his power to win the game. To take the "we're gonna lose anyway" route is, well, very Buffalo of you. :D

IlluminatusUIUC
06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
One would hope the new coach would do everything in his power to win the game. To take the "we're gonna lose anyway" route is, well, very Buffalo of you. :D

If Kolb was some kind of solid option then I might agree with you.

But it's Kevin Kolb we're talking about here. The last time he played the Pats (with a Top 3 wideout, mind you) he utterly SCORCHED them for 140 yards.

justasportsfan
06-17-2013, 12:58 PM
If Kolb was some kind of solid option then I might agree with you.

But it's Kevin Kolb we're talking about here. The last time he played the Pats (with a Top 3 wideout, mind you) he utterly SCORCHED them for 140 yards.

he threw for a TD and ran in for another. I'll take that and another 2 TD's from CJ/FJ and another pick 6 from Gilmore and a kick return from Mckelvin.

swiper
06-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Maybe I'm giving Kolb too much credit. But I think he's a better option than you give him credit for. The o-line problems in Arizona have been well documented. Plus I think he realizes that this gig is his last to show the world he is starter material.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-17-2013, 01:08 PM
he threw for a TD and ran in for another. I'll take that and another 2 TD's from CJ/FJ and another pick 6 from Gilmore and a kick return from Mckelvin.

Well yeah I would love if our team could score two non-offensive TDs as well as running all over the Pats too. But that has nothing to do with Kolb.

CoolBreeze
06-17-2013, 01:53 PM

I agree 100%.. I feel as though Manuel's confidence would take a huge hit not starting right away. And since he is our "future", I'd like to get his growing pains over with asap.

CoolBreeze
06-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Bring Manuel along slowly.

Don't let his first start be a blowout division loss to the most evil team in the history of sports. Let Kolb take his lumps while EJ learns- give him cleanup duty and hopefully have him starting by the end of the season.

We don't want to shell-shock EJ like we did to Losman and Edwards.

I can perhaps see where you're coming from. But J.P Losman played in a total of 3 games his rookie year, and his confidence became crap.. and Edwards is just garbage. Maybe Edwards got thrown in to soon, however I don't think we shell-shocked anyone. Manuel will be fine

BillsFever21
06-17-2013, 03:52 PM
If Manuel had the offense down and showed that he was ready to play then I'd like to see him start Week 1. I don't believe that will be the case so I would rather have Kolb start the season off and Manuel can take over a month or two after that when Kolb goes down with another injury. By that time Manuel should be settled in and hopefully ready to start. I don't want him out there if he's not ready though.

BillsFever21
06-17-2013, 03:59 PM
This entire topic sounds like Rob Johnson all over again when it comes to Kevin Kolb. Kolb has never stayed healthy more then a month or so at a time in his entire career and only has a few good games but everyone keeps blaming it on everything else. The worse part is it wasn't even with the Bills and it was with other teams.

The excuses sounds like we're talking about a 2nd or 3rd year player who is 23 years old or so. We're talking about a guy who has been in the league for 7 years and has been injured every single time he's had a chance to nail down a starting job. Sure the Cardinals line wasn't great but it was the same old in Philly too. Also he got sacked at almost twice the rate as all the other QB's in Arizona. Much of the fault for the sacks falls on him.

OpIv37
06-17-2013, 04:20 PM
This entire topic sounds like Rob Johnson all over again when it comes to Kevin Kolb. Kolb has never stayed healthy more then a month or so at a time in his entire career and only has a few good games but everyone keeps blaming it on everything else. The worse part is it wasn't even with the Bills and it was with other teams.

The excuses sounds like we're talking about a 2nd or 3rd year player who is 23 years old or so. We're talking about a guy who has been in the league for 7 years and has been injured every single time he's had a chance to nail down a starting job. Sure the Cardinals line wasn't great but it was the same old in Philly too. Also he got sacked at almost twice the rate as all the other QB's in Arizona. Much of the fault for the sacks falls on him.

Here's the nightmare scenario: EJ comes in, isn't ready and gets pulled after a couple of games. Kolb comes on, and promptly gets hurt. Now, we have to throw EJ back out there with his confidence already shaken.

Even worse: what if they both get hurt? We already know Kolb's durability is a problem so all it takes is one bad play for EJ....

BillsFever21
06-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Here's the nightmare scenario: EJ comes in, isn't ready and gets pulled after a couple of games. Kolb comes on, and promptly gets hurt. Now, we have to throw EJ back out there with his confidence already shaken.

Even worse: what if they both get hurt? We already know Kolb's durability is a problem so all it takes is one bad play for EJ....

That's why I would rather wait until Manuel is totally ready to play and wins the job. If Kolb is losing and WHEN he gets hurt then it would work out well for Manuel to take over at that point and hopefully never look back.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-17-2013, 04:26 PM

If his confidence is irreparably broken by a string of losses in September of his rookie year, then he was never going to amount to anything. If he's getting battered, change the gameplan to protect him but yanking him for Kolb accomplishes nothing.

And if both Kolb and Manuel get hurt, then thus begineth the Tuel experience.

Meathead
06-17-2013, 06:09 PM

jeff tuel comes in, plays phenomenal in becoming the bills qb for the next decade, and both kolb and manuel are arrested for smoking bongs behind the kfc with jamarcus russell

OpIv37
06-17-2013, 10:40 PM
jeff tuel comes in, plays phenomenal in becoming the bills qb for the next decade, and both kolb and manuel are arrested for smoking bongs behind the kfc with jamarcus russell

Well Kolb and Manuel will smoke bongs. JMarc will just buy a Sprite from the KFC, pour some Robitussin in it, and sit there sipping on sizzyrup and hoping his parole officer doesn't wander in for a 3 piece and a biscuit.

Meathead
06-17-2013, 11:29 PM
what i said was fine but what you said was racist

Buffalo Billy Bison
06-18-2013, 12:39 AM
I think Kolb and Manuel will both thrive in this years offense and as much as I wish to Manuel eventually take the team over, I think Kolb, who has experience in the NFL will also do well. I really want Manuel to get game time mental reps and use that clip board for just awhile, until he becomes acclimated to the NFL. You have New England first and Kolb needs to be the guy under center at the start of the season!