Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Doug Whaley: Stephon Gilmore’s made a leap this offseason

Originally posted by PFT
    Doug Whaley: Stephon Gilmore’s made a leap this offseason

Posted by Josh Alper on June 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT

Whether you call it rebuilding or something else, there’s no question that the Bills are again in a state of transition.

There’s a new coaching staff headed by Doug Marrone and a new General Manager in Doug Whaley and the chances for a long run on both fronts will have a lot to do with the team’s ability to stop opposing offenses through the air. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine comes to Buffalo after years working with Rex Ryan in Baltimore and New York, with the defenses in the Jets years being built around Darrelle Revis‘ ability to handle business on his side of the field without much help from the rest of the defense.

Pettine is installing a similarly aggressive defense in Buffalo and the best candidate to be a shutdown corner is 2012 first-round pick Stephon Gilmore. Gilmore struggled with penalties as a rookie, but handled himself fairly well otherwise and Whaley says that the stage is set for bigger things in his second season.

“If you look at Gilmore and you’ve been around the practices this spring, he’s made a leap from Year One to Year Two,” Whaley said in an interview with Chris Brown of the team’s website. “And that’s very encouraging. Any time you see a rookie going into the second year not slip into that sophomore slump, but make a transition and improve, that’s always a positive.”
    Whether you call it rebuilding or something else, there's no question that the Bills are again in a state of transition.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Doug Whaley: Stephon Gilmore’s made a leap this offseason

Here we go again.

First, Whaley may think Gilmore is the worst CB since Chris Watson, but he's not going to say that to the media. He has to keep player morale up and keep the fans interested. You can't trust what these guys say to the media.

Second, even if he is making plays, he's in shorts making plays with Kolb or Manuel throwing to either Stevie or a bunch of unproven guys in Graham and the rookies, learning a new offense. That's a lot different than making plays against Tom Brady in pads on game day. I'll believe it when I see it in a game.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• bf1
      • Oct 2010

I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

• Mouldsie
        • Aug 2012

He's already pretty durn good

Comment

• Homegrown
          Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          First, Whaley may think Gilmore is the worst CB since Chris Watson....
          Chris Watson > Stephon Gilmore .... at punt catching

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

Here we go again.

First, Whaley may think Gilmore is the worst CB since Chris Watson, but he's not going to say that to the media. He has to keep player morale up and keep the fans interested. You can't trust what these guys say to the media.

Second, even if he is making plays, he's in shorts making plays with Kolb or Manuel throwing to either Stevie or a bunch of unproven guys in Graham and the rookies, learning a new offense. That's a lot different than making plays against Tom Brady in pads on game day. I'll believe it when I see it in a game.
            Knew this post was coming lol. What a loser.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
              Knew this post was coming lol. What a loser.
              First, what did I say that wasn't true? Doing something in shorts in pre-season and doing them on the field during games are two COMPLETELY different things. Every year, there's at least one guy who looks great in practice then gets cut once the preseason games start because he clearly can't hack it in pads. And every year since this website has been in existence, we hear about how players improve so much between year 1 and year 2, yet, the sophomore slump is far, far more common once the game starts. It is what it is.

And second, you knew this post was coming? Wow, you're so smart. Guess what? It's going to keep coming as long as people keep thinking that what a coach or GM says publicly during pre-season actually means something. People complain that I repeat myself on this board, but no one complains about people constantly posting nonsense about how great players are 3 months before the season starts. Gimme a ****ing break- repitition isn't the problem. Being forced to acknowledge an unpleasant reality is.

And third, once again, you didn't even attempt to address the point and immediately made it about me. It's not about me. The reality is that GM's and coaches talk players up to the media and the reality is that playing well in shorts in June is ****ing meaningless. But, you don't want to accept that reality so you make it about me. Just man up and deal with it.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Fixxxer
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                He's already pretty durn good
                yup

Stephon Gilmore an elite cornerback... (http://presnapreads.com/2013/06/04/stephon-gilmore-an-elite-cornerback-lost-in-the-failings-of-the-buffalo-bills/) Not even from a Bills homer...

Comment

• CoolBreeze
                  • Feb 2009

First, what did I say that wasn't true? Doing something in shorts in pre-season and doing them on the field during games are two COMPLETELY different things. Every year, there's at least one guy who looks great in practice then gets cut once the preseason games start because he clearly can't hack it in pads. And every year since this website has been in existence, we hear about how players improve so much between year 1 and year 2, yet, the sophomore slump is far, far more common once the game starts. It is what it is.

And second, you knew this post was coming? Wow, you're so smart. Guess what? It's going to keep coming as long as people keep thinking that what a coach or GM says publicly during pre-season actually means something. People complain that I repeat myself on this board, but no one complains about people constantly posting nonsense about how great players are 3 months before the season starts. Gimme a ****ing break- repitition isn't the problem. Being forced to acknowledge an unpleasant reality is.

And third, once again, you didn't even attempt to address the point and immediately made it about me. It's not about me. The reality is that GM's and coaches talk players up to the media and the reality is that playing well in shorts in June is ****ing meaningless. But, you don't want to accept that reality so you make it about me. Just man up and deal with it.
                  It's not your opinion that's wrong. And It's not your fault, but years of this team losing has turned you into the ultimate pessimistic monster...a real Debby Downer man lol.. Just try to stay positive, and find something positive on your team. Optimism never hurts anyone, even if it's repetitive...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Here we go again.
                    No! There YOU go again with your itchy crotch. NO ONE is saying Gilmore is the next Revis. It's not like Whaley is talking about Aaron Williams.
                    So quick to shoot down anything positive said about the bills. .....And you wonder why people say you ***** just to *****.
                    Last edited by justasportsfan; 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                      No! There YOU go again with your itchy crotch. So quick to shoot down anything positive said about the bills. It's not like Whaley is talking about Aaron Williams.
                      It's not that it's positive that's the problem. It's that it's about how a guy is playing in shorts, coming from a guy who has a vested interest in both keeping team morale high and keeping fans interested in the team. It's the football equivalent of someone's mother telling them that they're the best-looking guy in school. There's no substance or objectivity to it.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

All 32 teams wax poetic about various players, schemes etc. during the off-season down time. Nothing wrong with promoting the product to keep the fanbase engaged. Take it at face value, whether you agree with it or not.

The press also needs to keep themselves employed.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• CoolBreeze
                          • Feb 2009

It's not that it's positive that's the problem. It's that it's about how a guy is playing in shorts, coming from a guy who has a vested interest in both keeping team morale high and keeping fans interested in the team. It's the football equivalent of someone's mother telling them that they're the best-looking guy in school. There's no substance or objectivity to it.

My mother was lying all those years!!!!

Comment

• mayotm
                            • Jul 2003

Anybody that actually watched the interview saw Whaley state that practices in shorts isn't real football.

Comment

• EDS
                              • Jan 2003

So he is getting the better of the rookie receivers?

Comment

Working...
                              X