why do people act like signing byrd is a matter or will and not a matter of math...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2010

why do people act like signing byrd is a matter or will and not a matter of math...??

I don't get it? do people realize we have a salary cap, and we cant resign everyone we want?
  • BillsFever21
    • Aug 2004

Re: why do people act like signing byrd is a matter or will and not a matter of math.

Everyone realizes that but that means that you keep your best players and especially one of the guys who has proven he is one of the top players in the league at his position. It's not like this team has a ton of proven talent.

We hear this from almost the same crowd every single time. Then when the next guy comes up for free agency they use the same excuses even though we supposedly couldn't sign the other guys because we had to save the money for them. But I'm sure we have at least 3 guys that can step in and play at his level already on the roster and another couple more guys that we will bring in for camp fodder. Just like with Levitre and the guard spot.

We can find cap room to keep proven bums like McKelvin around and sign other marginal players for several million or so a season but we can't find the money to keep one of the best proven safeties in the league? Give me a break. If that's the case then the front office is even worse then they have already proven to be.

It boggles my mind that many of the same people who think that keeping McKelvin for 4 million dollars a year is a good deal but keeping a top 3 safety in the NFL at 8 million or so a year isn't. You can't build a winning team for the long haul without keeping your best talented players.
    Last edited by BillsFever21; 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
      • Jul 2002

Re: why do people act like signing byrd is a matter or will and not a matter of math.

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
      I don't get it? do people realize we have a salary cap, and we cant resign everyone we want?
      If the team feels this way, then why would they franchise him in what is basically a rebuilding year? They either have to sign him to a market value contract or let him walk. It makes no sense to keep the franchise tag on him unless they are willing to pay him.

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

Realistically, if a team like the Bills with so few established veteran players can't afford to fit a guy like Byrd in under the cap then someone has completely bungled the teams finances and that someone should be terminated immediately.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Guys, guys. I'm absolutely sure Not The Dude put in the work to show us how signing Byrd will cripple our salary cap in the future. We just have to wait for him to post it.

C'mon NTD, don't let me down here.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BillsFever21
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
            Guys, guys. I'm absolutely sure Not The Dude put in the work to show us how signing Byrd will cripple our salary cap in the future. We just have to wait for him to post it.

C'mon NTD, don't let me down here.
            He will also have the list of names of at least 5 names that will be in camp that will be able to fill in for his spot and not miss a beat. Aaron Williams is probably number one on that list.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Jan 2010

you have to be wise from a football perspective. pass rushers, qbs, ots, and wrs are worth the big bucks. that's simply a fact. the steelers and packers have always let big names go unless they are huge at one of those 1st 3 positions. byrd in reality probably wants 10 mil a year. with wood, Carrington, spiller, hairston, glenn wanting a new deal, etc I would not put that much money into a safety. its an opinion, but most people with real nfl experience will side with me. again, there is only so much money to go around, and id rather put those resources towards the players I mentioned than a free safety that is average at best vs the run, and gets 4-5 picks a year. if you give byrd 10 mil, then you probably lose 2 of those other guys. to me, that's just dumb. I can understand if it was stevie or wood, or glenn or Mario, not a ****ing fs...

- - - Updated - - -

the math just doesn't work paying a fs 10 mil a year

there is no question that seeing whaley come from that background in pitt, he has probably offered 7 mil a year, ( which is what byrd is worth). if he doesn't like it, we will trade him... I have full confidence in the safeties we have. its not a hard spot to play compared to getting real production out of other positions. as stated in the thread, I would put money on aaron Williams getting 6 picks with this pass rush...
              Last edited by Dude; 06-19-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                • Aug 2004

you have to be wise from a football perspective. pass rushers, qbs, ots, and wrs are worth the big bucks. that's simply a fact. the steelers and packers have always let big names go unless they are huge at one of those 1st 3 positions. byrd in reality probably wants 10 mil a year. with wood, Carrington, spiller, hairston, glenn wanting a new deal, etc I would not put that much money into a safety. its an opinion, but most people with real nfl experience will side with me. again, there is only so much money to go around, and id rather put those resources towards the players I mentioned than a free safety that is average at best vs the run, and gets 4-5 picks a year. if you give byrd 10 mil, then you probably lose 2 of those other guys. to me, that's just dumb. I can understand if it was stevie or wood, or glenn or Mario, not a ****ing fs...

- - - Updated - - -

the math just doesn't work paying a fs 10 mil a year
                I wonder how Tory Polamalu has been with the Steelers so long if they would never sign a safety? The NFL should look into that. The Steelers pulled one over on the entire league. It was a horrible move by the Ravens to keep Ed Reed all of them years too. You keep you playmakers period. Them are the people who changes games.

If you don't want to keep a playmaker like Byrd because you're worried about keeping guys like Carrington and Hairston then that's just laughable. Neither of them are dominant players at their position and each one could be easily replaced. Carrington has never even cracked the starting lineup on a regular basis yet and neither of them are special. Decent player but not guys you worry about saving money for and neither would cost much money.

As far as Wood and Spiller goes that's still TBD. Wood has been a good player but has yet to prove he can stay healthy. If he gets hurt again this year then it's pretty hard to give him a big contract. Spiller is awesome and one of my favorite players but the fact is the RB position is the one position that is the easiest to replace in the NFL today if you had to. Especially if you're in a good offensive system. Good teams find RB's anywhere and they also have the shortest shelf life in the NFL.

And I'm sure in a year or two you will be saying we need to save the money to sign guys like Gilmore, Alonso, Da'Rick Rodgers, Woods, Dareus, etc. There will always be another group of younger guys coming up for free agency. To lump Carrington and Hairston in with the "must keep" group is just laughable though.
                Last edited by BillsFever21; 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE...
                  there is no question that seeing whaley come from that background in pitt, he has probably offered 7 mil a year, ( which is what byrd is worth). if he doesn't like it, we will trade him... I have full confidence in the safeties we have. its not a hard spot to play compared to getting real production out of other positions. as stated in the thread, I would put money on aaron Williams getting 6 picks with this pass rush...

Here we go again with the next two or three people in line are great players and can easily replace anyone on the team. Maybe IF he was lucky enough to get six interceptions I wonder if that would make up for the 6 TD's he gives up during the season and the many more bad plays that lead to other points.

A lot of guys can have interceptions in a season if they are in the right place at the right time. The good guys do it consistently and can cover their guys like Byrd has proven he can do. He also forces a lot of fumbles. The guy is a playmaker and you just don't let them guys walk if you have a choice. Especially on a team without many to begin with. I know it's no big deal though because Aaron Williams and the next three guys on the depth chart is just as good.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

you have to be wise from a football perspective. pass rushers, qbs, ots, and wrs are worth the big bucks. that's simply a fact. the steelers and packers have always let big names go unless they are huge at one of those 1st 3 positions.
                    To add on to what Billsfever said, both the Steelers and Packers let big name wideouts leave just this year because they didn't think they were worth the bigtime contracts.

byrd in reality probably wants 10 mil a year.
                    According to Kelso on WGR, he wants 9. Do you have a source for this claim he wants 10?

with wood, Carrington, spiller, hairston, glenn wanting a new deal, etc I would not put that much money into a safety. its an opinion, but most people with real nfl experience will side with me.
                    So you claim only QBs, pass rushers, OTs, and wideouts are worth big bucks and promptly list: A center, a backup DT/DE, a halfback, a backup RT, and our left tackle.

So only one of those guys, by your own standard, is worthy of the bigtime contract.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BillsFever21
                      • Aug 2004

Didn't the Steelers just like Mike Wallace leave along with Santonio Holmes a few years before that? At least get your facts straight if you're going to talk about the Packers and Steelers.

I also just remember the Packers giving Clay Matthews a huge contract. Last time I checked he isn't a QB, OT or WR. Just like Illuminatus said they also let their top WR's walk too.

As he also mentioned, I love the list you came up with. They don't even meet your criteria. But hey we can keep rotational DL in Carrington instead of Byrd if you were the GM. We can throw in another mid level player and pay the both of them around 4 million a year each instead of paying a top player 8 million. That's usually been the strategy of the Bills for years now and we see how well that has worked for us.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
                        Didn't the Steelers just like Mike Wallace leave along with Santonio Holmes a few years before that? At least get your facts straight if you're going to talk about the Packers and Steelers.

I also just remember the Packers giving Clay Matthews a huge contract. Last time I checked he isn't a QB, OT or WR. Just like Illuminatus said they also let their top WR's walk too.

As he also mentioned, I love the list you came up with. They don't even meet your criteria. But hey we can keep rotational DL in Carrington instead of Byrd if you were the GM. We can throw in another mid level player and pay the both of them around 4 million a year each instead of paying a top player 8 million. That's usually been the strategy of the Bills for years now and we see how well that has worked for us.
                        so basically, im correct about the packers and steelers, and then you say im wrong. ill be intellectually honest. Carrington is still developing, but pff said he could be a superstar based on his limited snap in the " secret superstar" article. I think the main part we don't agree on is not him being a top player at his position, rather his positional value. im sorry, but hes simply playing a position that is fairly easy to replace. again, its not wise to spend that much on a safety, just like its not wise to spend 8 mil a year on a guard with a bad knee nonetheless

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                          Hall of Fame Zoner
                          • Jan 2010

I wonder how Tory Polamalu has been with the Steelers so long if they would never sign a safety? The NFL should look into that. The Steelers pulled one over on the entire league. It was a horrible move by the Ravens to keep Ed Reed all of them years too. You keep you playmakers period. Them are the people who changes games.

If you don't want to keep a playmaker like Byrd because you're worried about keeping guys like Carrington and Hairston then that's just laughable. Neither of them are dominant players at their position and each one could be easily replaced. Carrington has never even cracked the starting lineup on a regular basis yet and neither of them are special. Decent player but not guys you worry about saving money for and neither would cost much money.

As far as Wood and Spiller goes that's still TBD. Wood has been a good player but has yet to prove he can stay healthy. If he gets hurt again this year then it's pretty hard to give him a big contract. Spiller is awesome and one of my favorite players but the fact is the RB position is the one position that is the easiest to replace in the NFL today if you had to. Especially if you're in a good offensive system. Good teams find RB's anywhere and they also have the shortest shelf life in the NFL.

And I'm sure in a year or two you will be saying we need to save the money to sign guys like Gilmore, Alonso, Da'Rick Rodgers, Woods, Dareus, etc. There will always be another group of younger guys coming up for free agency. To lump Carrington and Hairston in with the "must keep" group is just laughable though.
                          when you compare byrd and ed reed/polamalu, well, lets just say you're delusional...

you are also ignorant about hairston. hairston is developing into fine pass blocker at rt, and already is incredibly dominant run blocker. again, your football knowledge is laughable. a person like you would have paid levitre 10 mil per and let hairston walk. dumb as ****
                          Last edited by Dude; 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            To add on to what Billsfever said, both the Steelers and Packers let big name wideouts leave just this year because they didn't think they were worth the bigtime contracts.

According to Kelso on WGR, he wants 9. Do you have a source for this claim he wants 10?

So you claim only QBs, pass rushers, OTs, and wideouts are worth big bucks and promptly list: A center, a backup DT/DE, a halfback, a backup RT, and our left tackle.

So only one of those guys, by your own standard, is worthy of the bigtime contract.
                            you are not looking long term, and not understanding the blueprint of building a team in the here and now with a salary cap. this isn't 1985.... you can easily draft a replacement at safety. e.g., of course matt elam for the ravens wont be as good as reed, but I bet a million dollars he will make a nice impact and get 5 picks or so... making the ravens still competitive. its a big mans league with qb being the most important spot. just ask polian

- - - Updated - - -

Here we go again with the next two or three people in line are great players and can easily replace anyone on the team. Maybe IF he was lucky enough to get six interceptions I wonder if that would make up for the
                            6 TD's he gives up during the season and the many more bad plays that lead to other points.
                            A lot of guys can have interceptions in a season if they are in the right place at the right time. The good guys do it consistently and can cover their guys like Byrd has proven he can do. He also forces a lot of fumbles. The guy is a playmaker and you just don't let them guys walk if you have a choice. Especially on a team without many to begin with. I know it's no big deal though because Aaron Williams and the next three guys on the depth chart is just as good.
                            at corner... get your facts straight

Comment

• BillsFever21
                              • Aug 2004

so basically, im correct about the packers and steelers, and then you say im wrong. ill be intellectually honest. Carrington is still developing, but pff said he could be a superstar based on his limited snap in the " secret superstar" article. I think the main part we don't agree on is not him being a top player at his position, rather his positional value. im sorry, but hes simply playing a position that is fairly easy to replace. again, its not wise to spend that much on a safety, just like its not wise to spend 8 mil a year on a guard with a bad knee nonetheless
                              Nope. How are you saying you were correct on the Steelers and Packers? You said the Steelers and Packers only give big money to QB's, OT's and WR's. Well they obviously don't since they have elected to let Mike Wallace and Santonio Holmes walk along with the Packers letting their WR's go. Then at the same time you list a center, RB and others that don't even apply to your criteria as must keep players. You openly contradicted yourself. What part of that is too hard for you to comprehend?

As far as Byrd goes I never said they were as good as Palamalu or Reed. Them two are a couple of the best safeties of all time. He is one of the best in the league today though. Furthermore that also disproves your point that the Steelers are smart enough to only spend big money on QB's, OT's and WR's. If that's the case then they would've felt Palamalu wasn't worth that money years ago since it's another position that is "easily" replaceable.

If you're sitting there saying that Hairston and Carrington has more value and is a better player then Byrd then you are the delusional one yet again. I'm sure you also said the same thing about Demetrius Bell a couple years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X