PDA

View Full Version : Antoine Winfield Read My Mind

swiper
06-18-2013, 05:09 AM
“[The Seahawks] have an opportunity to do something that I dream about every night and that’s win a championship,” Winfield said. “…I don’t have too much time left. This is Year 15 for me so I’m trying to get it this year.”

Always thought he was a smart guy on top of being a very good player.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/17/once-released-antoine-winfield-wasnt-returning-to-minnesota/

How many years have you been dreaming of a Buffalo Championship?

JoeMama
06-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Good for Winfield.

Hands down the best tackling cornerback I've ever seen in a Bills uniform. Great hitter and fearless in contact for a little guy.

I miss the days when he and Nate Clements anchored either side of the field.

Lucidvizion
06-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Also known as the last time we've fielded a respectable football team.

CoolBreeze
06-18-2013, 04:14 PM
I've been dreaming of a Buffalo championship since I was 6 and started watching the Sabres I believe 1996, a year later when my father married my mother I became a huge Bills fan. Just to think I was almost a Giants fan! (yuck) lol. It was then at 7 I believe, that I could truly grasp why a Championship was so important to any team, and why it was so important to the fans. Here I sit today, I haven't had that feeling yet. None of you have either, this is why Buffalo fans are the greatest.. to stick with this team so long is amazing, Especially since watching our management manage the team, is like watching your neighbor host a meltdown in your neighborhood. But someday we will win it, and after craziest WNY party, and the one week cleanup in it's aftermath, the aftertaste will be that much sweeter...:drunks:

k-oneputt
06-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Another of the many big mistakes by management by letting both Winfield and Clements leave.

Night Train
06-18-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm a huge Buckeye fan and obviously didn' t mind the selection of Winfield. But letting him go was no biggie to me.

He made really great form tackles...after his man caught the ball cleanly. I never viewed him as a CB that QB's avoided.

feldspar
06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Another of the many big mistakes by management by letting both Winfield and Clements leave.

Letting Winfield go was a big mistake...phat Pat Williams too. But Clements became the highest paid defensive player in history when he went to the 49ers, or something thereabouts. He wasn't all that.

swiper
06-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Letting Winfield go was a big mistake...phat Pat Williams too. But Clements became the highest paid defensive player in history when he went to the 49ers, or something thereabouts. He wasn't all that.

You're 2/3 correct. Pat Williams played hard every 3rd or 4th play. It even drove the laid back Wade Phillips nuts. People lionize Pat Williams and criticize Marcel Dareus. I just don't get that. Williams was one of the laziest fat men ever to play the middle for Buffalo. Did he have talent? Sure he did. It was a matter of getting him to use it consistently. And the coaches couldn't. So they eventually moved on. I haven't shed a tear over his leaving. Winfield, yes, was a terrific loss. He was solid, if unspectacular.

Jan Reimers
06-19-2013, 03:09 PM
How many years have you been dreaming of a Buffalo Championship?

Since right after our 2 AFL Championships in '63 and '64, and that's a long time.

ublinkwescore
06-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Is nate clements even in the league anymore?

Oaf
06-24-2013, 12:46 PM
He was solid, if unspectacular.

Perfect summary of Winfield. I remember being excited for McGee as a rookie to take over. Winfield only seemed to develop hands once he got to Minnesota unfortunately.

JoeMama
06-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Is nate clements even in the league anymore?

Yeah he's with the Bengals.

And he's still playing pretty well.

A far cry from his glory years (including when he became the highest paid defender in the NFL with the Niners) but serviceable.

The Jokeman
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
You're 2/3 correct. Pat Williams played hard every 3rd or 4th play. It even drove the laid back Wade Phillips nuts. People lionize Pat Williams and criticize Marcel Dareus. I just don't get that. Williams was one of the laziest fat men ever to play the middle for Buffalo. Did he have talent? Sure he did. It was a matter of getting him to use it consistently. And the coaches couldn't. So they eventually moved on. I haven't shed a tear over his leaving. Winfield, yes, was a terrific loss. He was solid, if unspectacular.

I think the polorization of Dareus is because he was a 1st Round pick and expected to be great. Whereas Pat Williams was an undrafted guy who "buillt" himself into becoming a great player etc. As most love to cheer for the underdog and spit on the guy who fails to live up to expectations.