X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Is it an advantage?

when a team gets more rest than it's opponent on a given week in the NFL? Buffalo plays 5 teams in the upcoming season that will have had more rest time than the Bills for their game, more than any other team. Buffalo plays no team when they've had more rest than their opponent. The team they play after their bye week also has a bye week. http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/0...ons-no-favors/
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Is it an advantage?

I think it's at least a small advantage. A little more time to prepare and heal can't hurt.

Comment

• GingerP
      • Aug 2012

Sure it is, but it does no good for the website to whine about it. Those things tend to even out over time.

Also, including teams coming off Thursday games in his analysis makes no sense if you look at the other end. Sure, those teams get extra time to prepare for the Bills (like that has been needed), but they also have a short week to deal with on the other half of that analysis. The Bills rarely have a short week because they haven't been good enough for the networks to want in prime-time games. If they win more and get more prime-time games, Brown will probably write an article how the Bills are getting screwed because they have to play coming off short weeks.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

ive heard coaches comment before that they do some preliminary work for the short week teams ahead of time, thus negating most of any advantage

looks like the bills will be doing a ton of that
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Teams that play no teams with extra rest
          Kansas City, New England and technically New Orleans

Weird.

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

I think it ends up being a wash. The Bills have the good fortune of having a very consistent schedule where they can settle into a routine and not be forced to have change things up - other than the one oddity for the Thursday nighter against Cleveland (but Cleveland is a bad team so this should not be a tough turn around). The Bills then get extra rest to face the Bengals. Also, given the youth on the team, the bye comes at the perfect time in week 12 where the recent college players will be hitting a wall and need the extra rest to adjust to the longer NFL season.

On top of all that, the Bills have the advantage of having longer off-seasons than most teams and have not had to worry about post-season injuries derailing the following seasons preparations.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I never worry about scheduling. You have to beat the teams you play, under whatever circumstances you're given, if you are to be successful. Teams that whine are just looking for excuses, which is never an indication of a winner.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Ed
                Dude
                • Sep 2002

It's definitely an advantage for the other team to have extra prep and rest, but how much, I don't know. It probably depends on the team, but there's really no excuse for the NFL to have it so unbalanced. It shouldn't be that hard to set it up so every team plays one team coming off their bye, and every team plays one Thursday night game. Or at least come close to that. It's ridiculous that the Bills face three teams coming off their bye and the Pats face none.

Comment

• tatersalad
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Jan Reimers View Post
                  I never worry about scheduling. You have to beat the teams you play, under whatever circumstances you're given, if you are to be successful. Teams that whine are just looking for excuses, which is never an indication of a winner.
                  Well said!! back in the Kelly Era we thouhg twe would win every game... now we have resorted to whining about the schedule

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

I think it's a load of crap.

There's also the other side of the coin about getting rusty.

All baloney.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Well, the Pats* NEVER have less rest than the team they play, so there MUST be an advantage to playing on an even field or one tilted in your favor.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Chris Brown notes in another article at the official website that three of the five teams Buffalo faces which get extra rest before the play the Bills are their three division opponents, NE, Jets and Miami. If I were Russ Brandon, I would at least question the league about this.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                          Hall of Fame Zoner
                          • Jan 2010

I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT. the team hasn't won **** in over a decade. hasn't had a winning record for christs sake in almost 10 years. wine wine wine, I cant stand the excuses bs...

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

I agree with Historian that it's much to do about nothing, as far as an advantage to the other team... but I also agree with Tiger J's point that Brandon should mention the disparity to the league, since integrity in scheduling could be questioned.

The NFL doesn't wish to appear they may favor or gave an advantage to certain teams, even if scheduling conflicts with stadium events/travel was the legit reason.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
                              I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT. the team hasn't won **** in over a decade. hasn't had a winning record for christs sake in almost 10 years. wine wine wine, I cant stand the excuses bs...
                              There is no BS or excuse being made, just facts given. It is a FACT the Pats* NEVER play with less rest than the team they play. You can go back years & see this is a FACT. A team has a much better chance to win on a level playing field.

Comment

Working...
                              X