PDA

View Full Version : Hernandez arrest Imminent

SquishDaFish
06-20-2013, 07:39 PM
A Boston media outlet is reporting that the arrest of Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez may be imminent. http://tinyurl.com/kydbwlu

ServoBillieves
06-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Hoomanawanui and Tebow time.

Goobylal
06-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Hoomanawanui and Tebow time.
From Gronk and Hernandez to Ballard, Hoomanawanui (Tebow isn't a TE). What a major downgrade! Throw-in the loss of Welker and LLoyd, and Amendola eventually getting injured, and that offense will be pretty anemic.

ublinkwescore
06-20-2013, 08:42 PM
God, I hope so gooby.

ServoBillieves
06-20-2013, 08:43 PM
From Gronk and Hernandez to Ballard, Hoomanawanui (Tebow isn't a TE). What a major downgrade! Throw-in the loss of Welker and LLoyd, and Amendola eventually getting injured, and that offense will be pretty anemic.

Was just beating someone to the punch of "at least they have Tebow to move to tight end!" or whatever will be all over ESPN in between them talking about the Heat for 2 months

Goobylal
06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Was just beating someone to the punch of "at least they have Tebow to move to tight end!" or whatever will be all over ESPN in between them talking about the Heat for 2 months
I laugh at the "Tebow would make a great TE" stuff. There are players who were great college TE's who fizzle out in the NFL. Nevermind a guy who hasn't played TE since high school.

And damn those Spurs for letting game 6, and the championship, slip away!

JoeMama
06-20-2013, 08:50 PM

Sadly, not a chance.

As long as Tom Brady's throwing the ball, that offense is going to be just fine.

He's proven over his career that his receivers are interchangeable.

Goobylal
06-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Sadly, not a chance.

As long as Tom Brady's throwing the ball, that offense is going to be just fine.

There was a sharp transition from where the Pats' offense was pre-Welker, to what it became with Welker. To the tune of 900 more yards and 11 more TD's passing a season. And without the once-dominant defense, the offense likely won't be able to overcome the deficiencies of the current defense.

Crisis
06-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Just making room for Tebow to become an All-Pro TE.

better days
06-20-2013, 10:44 PM
The latest according to profootballtalk.com is that neighbors heard gunshots about 3:00 AM & Vidio shows Hernandez & another man enter his home minutes later.

Mr. Miyagi
06-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I bet you could get a Hernandez jersey on ebay for nothing now.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-20-2013, 11:00 PM
The latest according to profootballtalk.com is that neighbors heard gunshots about 3:00 AM & Vidio shows Hernandez & another man enter his home minutes later.

And boom goes the dynamite.

TacklingDummy
06-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Guilty, throw away the key.

better days
06-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Sadly, not a chance.

For a number of years Brady has had Welker to go to as his safety net. It remains to be seen how he does with no GOOD WRs & no safety net in Welker.

DynaPaul
06-21-2013, 07:17 AM
The Patriots won't die until Ernie Adams does.

The last buffalo fan
06-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Wow, I really feel sorry for the Kid, Patriot or not!

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 11:34 AM
There was a sharp transition from where the Pats' offense was pre-Welker, to what it became with Welker. To the tune of 900 more yards and 11 more TD's passing a season. And without the once-dominant defense, the offense likely won't be able to overcome the deficiencies of the current defense.

They'll take a hit but they'll still be top 12 at the very worst, so long as Brady stays healthy.

BTW one of the transition years you're talking about: Tom Brady lost his #1 and #2 receivers prior to the 2006 opener (Deion Branch and David Givens) who were replaced by Reche Caldwell and an over-the-hill Troy Brown.

In the end it didn't matter. Brady still finished the year 7th in passing yards and 9th in passer rating. Total offense was 11th overall. If having WRs that shabby can't destroy your offense, nothing can.

The Moss/Welker years were a golden age for Brady and the Pats offense. But their offense won't nosedive into obscurity, I can promise you that. They always make due with what they have.

That's why they're the god damned Patriots.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-21-2013, 11:41 AM
They'll take a hit but they'll still be top 12 at the very worst, so long as Brady stays healthy.

BTW one of the transition years you're talking about: Tom Brady lost his #1 and #2 receivers prior to the 2006 opener (Deion Branch and David Givens) who were replaced by Reche Caldwell and an over-the-hill Troy Brown.

In the end it didn't matter. Brady still finished the year 7th in passing yards and 9th in passer rating. Total offense was 11th overall. If having WRs that shabby can't destroy your offense, nothing can.

The Moss/Welker years were a golden age for Brady and the Pats offense. But their offense won't nosedive into obscurity, I can promise you that. They always make due with what they have.

Let's also remember that the Pats had a top 10 rushing offense last year and return every piece but Woodhead. While that may take a hit from a diminished passing game, it will still keep them very competitive.

better days
06-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Well, for one thing Brady is now 8 years older at 36 years old. For another there is no way to know yet if anyone the Pats* have now is as good as Caldwell & Brown.

OpIv37
06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Well, for one thing Brady is now 8 years older at 36 years old. For another there is no way to know yet if anyone the Pats* have now is as good as Caldwell & Brown.

Has Brady shown any signs of age affecting him though? I haven't seen any. I mean, at some point age will catch up with him, because it catches up with everybody. Maybe this will be the year, but maybe not. Unfortunately, he seems to be holding up better than most.

Goobylal
06-21-2013, 12:31 PM
The Patriots won't die until Ernie Adams does.
Adams will be gone when Brady and Belichick are, which is a couple years.

Brady had his 2nd worst season as a pro statistically (outside of his 2nd year/first starting, and the year he got injured, and 2003) in 2006. Plus his defense was dominant at that time. Not to mention Dillon and Maroney.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Let's also remember that the Pats had a top 10 rushing offense last year and return every piece but Woodhead. While that may take a hit from a diminished passing game, it will still keep them very competitive.

It's a passer's league today more than ever.

So long as Brady's arm and mind are still sharp -- and they are -- the offense will be fine.

Believe me, as a Bills fan I've been waiting for inevitable chinks in the armor a long, long time.

But it won't be 2013.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Adams will be gone when Brady and Belichick are, which is a couple years.

Brady had his 2nd worst season as a pro statistically (outside of his 2nd year/first starting, and the year he got injured, and 2003) in 2006. Plus his defense was dominant at that time. Not to mention Dillon and Maroney.

Uh...

His "worst" season as a pro was still fantastic.

And look, it's a QB driven league now. Good D and a power running game have been marginalized greatly since 2006.

Check back with me in 8 months.

By then I assure you Brady will have another great season under his belt and the Pats another division title.

Meathead
06-21-2013, 01:25 PM
it hurts to say it but brady is at or near the top of the best qbs ever. his decisions and accuracy are out of the world good. they can put me out there with my cane and my 40 yard dash time of 4.4 (minutes) and id still catch seventy for a buck twenty

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Brady is an ageless 35. He's shown no indication of decline... yet.

And wait. Are you talking about 2006 Reche Caldwell and 2006 Troy Brown as if they were a good thing?

What?

Dude, Caldwell had 22 career receptions in his 4 years prior to 2006. Troy Brown was a converted CB who caught 380 yards that year. Their 3rd WR was perhaps the biggest bust of the Belichick era, Chad Jackson.

The fact that Brady was a top ten passer in 2006 is proof that he's one of the greatest ever.

better days
06-21-2013, 01:52 PM

And wait. Are you talking about 2006 Reche Caldwell and 2006 Troy Brown as if they were a good thing?

What?

Dude, Caldwell had 22 career receptions in his 4 years prior to 2006. Troy Brown was a converted CB who caught 380 yards that year. Their 3rd WR was perhaps the biggest bust of the Belichick era, Chad Jackson.

The fact that Brady was a top ten passer in 2006 is proof that he's one of the greatest ever.

I am talking about them being good in comparison to Donald Jones & the rest of the flotsam at WR for the Pats* this year. And Brady is 36 this year. NOT 35. EVERYONE AGES. INCLUDING Brady.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I am talking about them being good in comparison to Donald Jones & the rest of the flotsam at WR for the Pats* this year. And Brady is 36 this year. NOT 35. EVERYONE AGES. INCLUDING Brady.

I know that.

But he's currently 35, which is why I said it.

And the door doesn't slam shut for most QBs. It closes gradually.

Why would Brady just flat out suck this year when he's shown no signs of slowing down? You telling me he's going to magically forget how to play QB?

You're going to be disappointed.

better days
06-21-2013, 02:24 PM
I know that.

But he's currently 35, which is why I said it.

And the door doesn't slam shut for most QBs. It closes gradually.

Why would Brady just flat out suck this year when he's shown no signs of slowing down? You telling me he's going to magically forget how to play QB?

You're going to be disappointed.

I'm not saying Brady won't play well this year, I'm saying he has no real weapons on offense this year which would have an effect on any QB including Brady.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm not saying Brady won't play well this year, I'm saying he has no real weapons on offense this year which would have an effect on any QB including Brady.

It's never stopped him before. I don't see why this year will be any different.

better days
06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
And we all know how Brady loves to whine. When Jones & the rest of the scrubs at WR drop balls this year, Brady will be WHINING.

better days
06-21-2013, 02:31 PM
It's never stopped him before. I don't see why this year will be any different.

I already told you why it could be different this year.

1) Brady will be 36 years old, 8 years older than the last time he did not go into a season with weapons & he did have Cory Dillon at RB that year.

2) It remains to be seen if Jones & the rest of the flotsam at WR can match the production of Caldwell & Brown.

Meathead
06-21-2013, 02:34 PM
what part of brady creates weapons dont you understand

really great qbs make stars out of the guys around them. it can work the other way around but not nearly as easily or often as when you have a really good qb

i just hope and pray he doesnt manage to win a title when they werent cheating. at least we would always have that

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 02:36 PM
I already told you why it could be different this year.

1) Brady will be 36 years old, 8 years older than the last time he did not go into a season with weapons & he did have Cory Dillon at RB that year.

2) It remains to be seen if Jones & the rest of the flotsam at WR can match the production of Caldwell & Brown.

They'll cobble together something useful.

Calwell had something like 700+ yds, Brown 380 yds. I looked it up earlier.

They weren't terribly dynamic.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Troy Brown was a converted CB who caught 380 yards that year.

Well no it's the reverse. Brown was a wideout whom Belichick had playing CB part time. By 06 he was close to washed up, but he was their #1 wideout for their first SB win.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Overall point is taken though.

The Pats WRs look awful on paper.

The oft-injured Danny Amendola is the "star" of the group.

Career underachiever Michael Jenkins is #2.

Then you have who, Julian Edelman? Donald Jones?

Luckily for them Gronk produces like a WR. And he won't have to share the spotlight since Hernandez is going away for a long time, no doubt.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Well no it's the reverse. Brown was a wideout whom Belichick had playing CB part time. By 06 he was close to washed up, but he was their #1 wideout for their first SB win.

I remember he split time between WR and CB, just mixed up the order.

But yeah, he was a very effective WR for several years. Especially 2001. I recall being envious of how Belichick/Weis got production out of journeymen like Brown... and especially former Bill Antowain Smith at RB. That stung.

My point wasn't that Brown sucks, just that he was definitely over the hill in 2006.

better days
06-21-2013, 02:47 PM
They'll cobble together something useful.

Calwell had something like 700+ yds, Brown 380 yds. I looked it up earlier.

They weren't terribly dynamic.

What they cobbled together that year was a running game of Cory Dillon & Laurence Maroney. Dillon had 13 TDs & Maroney had 6 TDs rushing & 1 TD receiving. That is 20 TDs from the RB position. Caldwell & Brown had 4 TDs each for 8 total between them.

I doubt Jones & the rest do much if any better than those 8 TDs. And defenses won't have to worry about Hernandez or Gronk (who may miss half the season) or Welker so they can play 8 in the box to stop the run.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Forgot about the extent of Gronk's injury.

I guess he's going to miss all of the preseason?

better days
06-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Forgot about the extent of Gronk's injury.

I guess he's going to miss all of the preseason?

The Pats* will be lucky if he can play by week 7. The Bills & Jets are catching the Pats* at the perfect time in weeks one & two.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 03:05 PM
The Pats* will be lucky if he can play by week 7. The Bills & Jets are catching the Pats* at the perfect time in weeks one & two.

And they haven't been hot starters to begin with in recent history.

I'd love to get our 3rd win of the decade over the Pats this year.

Goobylal
06-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Uh...

His "worst" season as a pro was still fantastic.

And look, it's a QB driven league now. Good D and a power running game have been marginalized greatly since 2006.

Check back with me in 8 months.

By then I assure you Brady will have another great season under his belt and the Pats another division title.
I highly doubt it. Again the offense will take a hit and he doesn't have the defense he had in 2006 or 2003 (his two worst years). And his output in 2006 (3529 yards, 24 TDs and 12 INTs) would rank him 18th on last year's passing leaders, just slightly ahead of Fitz, so I don't know where you're getting that it was "still fantastic."

BillsFever21
06-21-2013, 07:17 PM

What?

Him and others have been calling for the demise of Brady and the Patriots for a couple years now. Eventually it will happen and will be able to say how great of a prediction it was.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 09:00 PM
I highly doubt it. Again the offense will take a hit and he doesn't have the defense he had in 2006 or 2003 (his two worst years). And his output in 2006 (3529 yards, 24 TDs and 12 INTs) would rank him 18th on last year's passing leaders, just slightly ahead of Fitz, so I don't know where you're getting that it was "still fantastic."

It's a passer's league now. Everybody's numbers are inflated thanks to rule changes and the evolving nature of the game.

In 2006 Brady was a top ten passer. It doesn't matter if he would have been 18th in 2012. You have to compare him to his contemporaries at the time.

You can't take his 2006 numbers and retroactively apply 2013 circumstances. It's an irrelevant, specious comparison.

It's like saying Otto Graham or Bart Starr sucked because they didn't throw for a million yards like guys do today. Both had numbers that would have ranked dead last in today's NFL.

Again, talk to me after the season.

I don't want Brady to do well. But I really think this ends badly for you if you're expecting an implosion. He never has. And there's no evidence he's on the decline.

Sure, he's lost a lot of weapons. But I've found myself referencing that in years past as well and I've always been wrong. Despite all my wishful thinking.

JoeMama
06-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Him and others have been calling for the demise of Brady and the Patriots for a couple years now. Eventually it will happen and will be able to say how great of a prediction it was.

Don't we all!

Sadly, if that's his position, then he's always been wrong.

BillsFever21
06-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Jim Kelly only threw for more then 3,500 yards and 30 TD's once in his career and they were both in 1990. Back in them days 20 TD's was considered a lot. This is a different era then it was just 5-10 years ago with all the rule changes and offenses now geared towards passing instead of running.

There's a reason why a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick only threw for 12 less yards in 2011 then Jim Kelly in his best season. Kelly also only had two seasons where he threw for more TD's in a season then Fitzpatrick did when he was a starter. If you look at both of their stats then Fitzpatrick's is almost identical to all of Kelly's best season.

It would be insane to compare the two QB's but if you just want to go by them stats then you could say that Fitzpatrick was just as successful as Jim Kelly as a passer in Buffalo. There is a reason why you have multiple QB's throwing for 30+ TD's and 4,000 yards a season in today's NFL when just not to long ago you were lucky to have one or two QB's that threw for either 30 TD's or 4,000 yards in a season. Now your average QB's can hit around them many yards and TD's in any given season.

BillsFever21
06-21-2013, 09:24 PM
You had 11 guys throw for more then 4,000 yards last season and 5 guys with over 30 TD's. In 2006 you only had 5 QB's who threw for more then 4,000 yards and one QB who threw for 30+ TD's. In 2000 there was only three guys that threw for 4,000 yards or more.

Comparing today's NFL to even 2006 is like apples and oranges. You almost have half of the starting QB's in the league throwing for at least 4,000 yards. Hell Fitzpatrick ranked 12th in the league in TD's with 24. Even the 16th highest passer in the league had almost 3,700 yards passing. So we're talking at least half of the league throwing for 3,700 yards passing and 22+ TD's.

In 2006 the 16th highest passer had just under 2,900 yards and 17 TD's. Trying to compare the two seasons just isn't plausible. They are two totally different games then they were just a short period ago.

Goobylal
06-21-2013, 10:11 PM
There are a lot better QB's these days than there were in 2006. But okay, we'll see how Brady does losing 4 of his top-5 WR's from last year for the whole season and the other (Gronk) for a few games to begin the season.

BillsFever21
06-21-2013, 10:17 PM
There are a lot better QB's these days than there were in 2006. But okay, we'll see how Brady does losing 4 of his top-5 WR's from last year for the whole season and the other (Gronk) for a few games to begin the season.

Are there that many better QB's or is it because of the new age of the NFL which creates better passing stats for the QB's? It may be a latter of the both but I'm willing to bet it has more to do with the league rule changes. If you threw Fitzpatrick's stats from the past couple years into 2006 then his stats would make him a Top 5 QB in the league. If you put Jim Kelly's stats in today's NFL then he would be considered a second rate QB and lucky to still have a job. Do you really think there are that many QB's that's better?

better days
06-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Are there that many better QB's or is it because of the new age of the NFL which creates better passing stats for the QB's? It may be a latter of the both but I'm willing to bet it has more to do with the league rule changes. If you threw Fitzpatrick's stats from the past couple years into 2006 then his stats would make him a Top 5 QB in the league. If you put Jim Kelly's stats in today's NFL then he would be considered a second rate QB and lucky to still have a job. Do you really think there are that many QB's that's better?

I agree with you. The rules today are totally different than when Kelly played. But the fact is A QB still needs receivers that can CATCH the ball. Aside from Amendola who has not stayed healthy for an entire season his entire career, Brady does not have that on his team this year.

I don't expect Brady to become Fitzpatrick this year, but I don't expect his receivers to become Welker or Gronk or Hernandez either. Jones should have a better season than he did with Fitz last year, but I don't expect 120 catches from him either.

Which is what the Pats lost when they lost Welker. Brady did NOT make Welker, & people will see that this year

Goobylal
06-21-2013, 11:07 PM
I agree with you. The rules today are totally different than when Kelly played. But the fact is A QB still needs receivers that can CATCH the ball. Aside from Amendola who has not stayed healthy for an entire season his entire career, Brady does not have that on his team this year.

I don't expect Brady to become Fitzpatrick this year, but I don't expect his receivers to become Welker or Gronk or Hernandez either. Jones should have a better season than he did with Fitz last year, but I don't expect 120 catches from him either.

Which is what the Pats lost when they lost Welker. Brady did NOT make Welker, & people will see that this year
Jones can't stay healthy either. Between he and Amendola, they should have 1 good WR.

better days
06-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Jones can't stay healthy either. Between he and Amendola, they should have 1 good WR.

Well, except when Amendola is healthy he is a GOOD receiver, unlike Jones. Between the two of them they have 3/4 of a good WR at best.