PDA

View Full Version : so how do the bills matchup vs the patriots tight ends week1 ?

djjimkelly
06-21-2013, 04:54 PM
lol

when the schedule came out all i could think about was not good for week 1 matchup

things have changed

Meathead
06-21-2013, 05:00 PM
you could put jim kelly out there at tight end and brady would still get him ten and two tds

The last buffalo fan
06-21-2013, 05:34 PM
you could put jim kelly out there at tight end and brady would still get him ten and two tds

:ill:

better days
06-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Brady does not like pressure & I think Pettine will turn the Ralph into a pressure cooker.

ServoBillieves
06-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Hoomanawanui will haul in 6 for 62 and 2 TD's.

The last buffalo fan
06-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Teblows will haul in 6 for 62 and 2 TD's, 5 runs for 550 yds and 5 TD's.
fixed!

better days
06-21-2013, 11:07 PM
I will enjoy laughing at Everyone that thinks this Billls defense will be the sieve the Bills defense of the past has been.

kishoph
06-22-2013, 03:45 AM
The Pats are starting to look less scary as the season approaches, losing Welker was huge, you just can't take away 120 receptions without it having an effect and Amendola is no Welker. The Pats defense is nothing special and if the offense can't control the games, like they have in the past, the defense may really turn ugly. Of course they still have Brady, but he has to start showing signs of decline soon (I hope), maybe this will be the year. Forget all I just typed, I forgot, they have Tebow, damn.

swiper
06-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Brady does not like pressure & I think Pettine will turn the Ralph into a pressure cooker.

I think over the years people have figured that out. I hope Pettine does his best to keep their offense off-balance. Bringing rushers from unsuspecting spots at unsuspecting times gets into Brady's rythm better than anything else.

Night Train
06-22-2013, 05:10 AM
Don't forget, the resident Zoloft society stated the Bills season is going to be a disaster and 2 wins total is probable. So the Pats have no excuses. They should kill the Bills, according to those who decided the season in April.

swiper
06-22-2013, 05:54 AM
Don't forget, the resident Zoloft society stated the Bills season is going to be a disaster and 2 wins total is probable. So the Pats have no excuses. They should kill the Bills, according to those who decided the season in April.

The Bills haven't seen good coaching in so long it's hard for fans to remember what that can actually bring. And this crew is, as of yet, unproven as well.

sudzy
06-26-2013, 03:38 AM
I would love to believe this is the year thing will be different. With Pettine's defense and Marrone's attitude. But, I will have to see it to believe it. The Bills have tricked me too many times in the past. The Pat's seem like the can lose half there team and still win the AFC East.

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Things are looking pretty bad for the Pats, but for the last 10+ years, they've been "plug and play" at WR. With Bellicheck's system and Brady throwing, pretty much anyone they've thrown in as a pass catcher has succeeded. We've been here before- ill believe they're on the demise when I see it.

Similarly, covering TE's has been an Achilles' heel for this team for at least 5 years. I call it "the ghost of Donte Whitner." While we have a new defensive system and a new coordinator, we have the same DB's and still lack talent at LB. So, once again, I'll believe the Bills can cover a TE (even a 3rd stringer) when I see it.

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Lmao- here we go again. Because those of us who predicted disaster in April for the past ten years have been proven wrong time and time again, right?

New systems on both sides of the ball, rookie or Kolb at QB throwing to inexperienced WR's (behind Stevie), no OL depth, paper tiger DL, lack of talent at LB, good talent (assuming Byrd plays) at DB but no depth there either, likely heavy reliance on rookies on both sides of the ball.

It doesn't take a genius to see that this season is going to be a struggle.

better days
06-26-2013, 08:55 AM
I think over the years people have figured that out. I hope Pettine does his best to keep their offense off-balance. Bringing rushers from unsuspecting spots at unsuspecting times gets into Brady's rythm better than anything else.

There is a two part interview with Mike Pettine on the Bills official site for people that want to see it.

Pettine said the team will never be dirty, but they want to be INTIMIDATING. He doesn't care about sacks, but he wants to PRESSURE the QB & throw him off his game.

Albany,n.y.
06-26-2013, 09:00 AM
The Patriots will have Jake Ballard who is expected to be healthy for opening day. They stole him from the Giants when the Giants tried to sneak him through waivers.

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 09:05 AM
There is a two part interview with Mike Pettine on the Bills official site for people that want to see it.

Pettine said the team will never be dirty, but they want to be INTIMIDATING. He doesn't care about sacks, but he wants to PRESSURE the QB & throw him off his game.

Wanting to be and actually being are two different things. We my not have the talent to do what he wants, and even if we do, there is a a good chance it will take time to adjust to the new scheme. It's unreasonable to expect this D to play lights out against the Pats in their first real game in the system, as well as the lack of talent and experience at LB.

Teams have spent the past 11 years trying to figure out how to pressure Brady, and have failed far more often than not.

better days
06-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Lmao- here we go again. Because those of us who predicted disaster in April for the past ten years have been proven wrong time and time again, right?

New systems on both sides of the ball, rookie or Kolb at QB throwing to inexperienced WR's (behind Stevie), no OL depth, paper tiger DL, lack of talent at LB, good talent (assuming Byrd plays) at DB but no depth there either, likely heavy reliance on rookies on both sides of the ball.

It doesn't take a genius to see that this season is going to be a struggle.

I think Pettine would disagree with you about the LB talent. He said when he was hired there were a couple pieces missing.

It looks to me like the Bills have added those pieces with Kiko Alonso, Marcus Dotwin, & Manny Lawson.

I agree with much of what you say & the season will most likely be a struggle, but I think the struggle will mean a 7-9 season or 8-8, not 2-14 or 3-13 as some pessimists think.

And with a LOT of luck who knows maybe even 9-7.

better days
06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Wanting to be and actually being are two different things. We my not have the talent to do what he wants, and even if we do, there is a a good chance it will take time to adjust to the new scheme. It's unreasonable to expect this D to play lights out against the Pats in their first real game in the system, as well as the lack of talent and experience at LB.

Teams have spent the past 11 years trying to figure out how to pressure Brady, and have failed far more often than not.

Well, like I said, Pettine would disagree with you about the talent on this team. The Ravens & Jets have both had success against Brady with the same defense the Bills will be playing & the Jets have had Sanchez at QB.

better days
06-26-2013, 09:18 AM
The Patriots will have Jake Ballard who is expected to be healthy for opening day. They stole him from the Giants when the Giants tried to sneak him through waivers.

Yeah, they will have Ballard, but Ballard is no Gronk or Hernandez. If both those guys were playing, Ballard would be on the bench. And they no longer have Welker & Amendola is not Welker.

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Well, like I said, Pettine would disagree with you about the talent on this team. The Ravens & Jets have both had success against Brady with the same defense the Bills will be playing & the Jets have had Sanchez at QB.
Our talent level is nowhere close to the Ravens or Jets D's that had success against Brady.

better days
06-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Our talent level is nowhere close to the Ravens or Jets D's that had success against Brady.

I would agree about the Ravens defense but not the Jets.

better days
06-26-2013, 10:19 AM

And don't you always say the Pats* are successful because of the SYSTEM & they can plug ANYBODY into that system & be successful?

Why do you think that can not be the same for the defensive system Pettine is bringing to the Bills?

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
And don't you always say the Pats* are successful because of the SYSTEM & they can plug ANYBODY into that system & be successful?

Why do you think that can not be the same for the defensive system Pettine is bringing to the Bills?

For starters, because the Pats are pretty much the only team in the history of, well, ever to pull that off.

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 10:26 AM
I would agree about the Ravens defense but not the Jets.

I don't mean the Jets now. I mean the Jets the past few years when they had Revis, Scott, that monster NT, etc. the last year or so they've taken some hits, but they had much more talent than the current Bills for the first 3 years of Pettine's tenure with the Jets.

better days
06-26-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't mean the Jets now. I mean the Jets the past few years when they had Revis, Scott, that monster NT, etc. the last year or so they've taken some hits, but they had much more talent than the current Bills for the first 3 years of Pettine's tenure with the Jets.

I know you meant the Jets defense of the past & I still disagree with you on that. That defense had Revis, but nobody else that is going to the HOF. I still think you are underestimating the talent on this team because of the poor coaching in the past.

With good coaching, I expect this team to surprise you.

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 11:38 AM
I know you meant the Jets defense of the past & I still disagree with you on that. That defense had Revis, but nobody else that is going to the HOF. I still think you are underestimating the talent on this team because of the poor coaching in the past.

With good coaching, I expect this team to surprise you.

And who on this D is going to the HOF? Maybe Mario for what he did in Houston, too soon to tell on Gilmore- that's it.

justasportsfan
06-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Don't know how good the bills are with the new coaching staff, but I'm sure the Pats are weaker without Hernandez, Gronk and Welker.

better days
06-26-2013, 12:55 PM
For starters, because the Pats are pretty much the only team in the history of, well, ever to pull that off.

Well, you said yourself, the Jets did not have the talent last year they used to have. They still had a good defense last year & will have a good defense this year, as will the Bills.

If a system can be responsible for success of the Pats*, it can be responsible for the success of the Ravens, Jets & Bills.

better days
06-26-2013, 12:59 PM
And who on this D is going to the HOF? Maybe Mario for what he did in Houston, too soon to tell on Gilmore- that's it.

Who knows who will go to the HOF from this Bills team? But as of today, the Bills with Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, Dareus & Branch Have one of the better lines in the entire NFL, certainly the BEST DL in the AFC East.

jdaltroy5
06-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Taking away Brady's security blankets are definitely going to hurt him.

Don't forget, Gronk just underwent back surgery, so might not be 100% by week 1, if he even plays.

Also, that will be the first week that they see our defense, so it's not like they're going to have tons of tape to review to look for weaknesses.

Brady might have to hesitate because he's throwing to Amendola, Hoomanawanui, and Fells instead of Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez. That could be the difference between 28 points instead of 45 points and that could be the difference between a W and an L.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-26-2013, 02:25 PM

ummm, yes they do. outside of revis for the jets, and ray for the ravens, its the same talent, if not better for buffalo in a few areas.

- - - Updated - - -

ummm, yes they do. outside of revis for the jets, and ray for the ravens, its the same talent, if not better for buffalo in a few areas.

nm we had wanstache and horrible qb play the past 13 years.

better days
06-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Taking away Brady's security blankets are definitely going to hurt him.

Don't forget, Gronk just underwent back surgery, so might not be 100% by week 1, if he even plays.

Also, that will be the first week that they see our defense, so it's not like they're going to have tons of tape to review to look for weaknesses.

Brady might have to hesitate because he's throwing to Amendola, Hoomanawanui, and Fells instead of Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez. That could be the difference between 28 points instead of 45 points and that could be the difference between a W and an L.

I am hearing Gronk may not play until midseason.

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Who knows who will go to the HOF from this Bills team? But as of today, the Bills with Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, Dareus & Branch Have one of the better lines in the entire NFL, certainly the BEST DL in the AFC East.
Paper tiger. Everyone said that last season when we signed Mario and it accomplished nothing. I know, you're going to blame the coaches, but coaches won't make guys shed blocks better or get to the QB faster.

kishoph
06-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski and Woodhead accounted for 264 receptions and 25 TD's last season, that's a whole lot of offense that will not be there on opening day for the Pats.

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski and Woodhead accounted for 264 receptions and 25 TD's last season, that's a whole lot of offense that will not be there on opening day for the Pats.

It certainly doesn't help them. But we've seen them plug and play WR's for years. I'll believe that it'll hurt them when I see it. Also, if we end up losing, it wouldn't be the first time that the Bills got smoked by a bunch of back-ups.....

mikemac2001
06-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Hurts them bc they can't lineup 2 tes and do whatever they want. The defense will have a better idea pre snap also if they do that the tes won't be as good in receiving game and vice versa can matchup better. Run game suffers

better days
06-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Paper tiger. Everyone said that last season when we signed Mario and it accomplished nothing. I know, you're going to blame the coaches, but coaches won't make guys shed blocks better or get to the QB faster.

Well, Pettine said Mario had a target on his back last year. He said every team know exactly where Mario would be on every play & teams could chip him with an extra blocker & take him out of the play.

He said he plans to take the target off Mario's back this year. He said teams will not know where Mario is coming from this year, so they won't be able to defend him.

I guess we will have to wait to see how much of last year was on Mario & how much was on the poor coaching & poor scheme.

Night Train
06-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Brandon Lloyd is also gone.

But Brady can play 10-12 positions and BeliGod is coach. 42-3 Pats.

All hail Zoloft !

better days
06-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Brandon Lloyd is also gone.

But Brady can play 10-12 positions and BeliGod is coach. 42-3 Pats.

All hail Zoloft !

Yeah, I posted before that there were some people on this board saying how GOOD Lloyd was. The Pats* let him walk & they do not want him back even with their Receiver position in the SH_TCAN. And no other team has picked him up either, that's how good he is, all you Lloyd fans that argued with me about him, & you know who you are.

JoeMama
06-26-2013, 08:48 PM
I'll believe the Patriots demise when I see it.

Until then, they've shown they can adapt to any situation.

All winning seasons since 2001.

No matter how many changes in personnel they've undergone.

better days
06-26-2013, 08:50 PM
I'll believe the Patriots demise when I see it.

Until then, they've shown they can adapt to any situation.

All winning seasons since 2001.

No matter how many changes in personnel they've undergone.

Yeah, well the Bills went to 4 SUPER BOWLS in a row.

EVERYTHING COMES TO AN END.

better days
06-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Between the Gronk surgery, Tebow signing, & Hernandez, I have been listening to WEEI Boston a lot lately.

Believe me, Pats* fan is worried it is all falling apart.

The host said today, Pats* fan does not want to hear from Giants fans or Steelers fans or Ravens fans.

TOO FUNNY, GREAT RADIO if you enjoy hearing Pats* fans suffer.

better days
06-26-2013, 08:57 PM
PLUS they did not win the Cup, so that is the CHERRY on top.

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Well, Pettine said Mario had a target on his back last year. He said every team know exactly where Mario would be on every play & teams could chip him with an extra blocker & take him out of the play.

He said he plans to take the target off Mario's back this year. He said teams will not know where Mario is coming from this year, so they won't be able to defend him.

I guess we will have to wait to see how much of last year was on Mario & how much was on the poor coaching & poor scheme.

Just so we are clear on this: your contention is that the owner and GM spent over $90 million on Mario Williams, then sat back and did nothing while the coaches used a piss-poor strategy that effectively rendered their $90 million asset useless.

Sure, that makes sense :rolleyes:

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Yeah, well the Bills went to 4 SUPER BOWLS in a row.

EVERYTHING COMES TO AN END.

Except that people have been predicting the end of the Patriots every year since at least 2005. And in that time span, they only missed the playoffs once and still managed 11 wins that season.

Yes, their time will come. But there is no reason to believe their time is up until they show it on the field. And that has yet to happen.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-26-2013, 09:12 PM
whats funny, the pats could be better. especially at wr. Dobson, boyce, jones, amendola, and Washington is a massive improvement over their past skill spots. gronk is a big question mark though

better days
06-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Just so we are clear on this: your contention is that the owner and GM spent over $90 million on Mario Williams, then sat back and did nothing while the coaches used a piss-poor strategy that effectively rendered their $90 million asset useless.

Sure, that makes sense :rolleyes:

So you are contending that does not make sense from 94 year old Ralph Wilson that YOU make fun of ALL THE TIME?

What did you expect him or would you expect any other owner to do other than what he did.....................FIRE the Coaching staff at the end of the season?

better days
06-26-2013, 09:29 PM
whats funny, the pats could be better. especially at wr. Dobson, boyce, jones, amendola, and Washington is a massive improvement over their past skill spots. gronk is a big question mark though

SERIOUSLY??? Pass me some of what you are smoking. I hear Pats* fan on WEEI saying now they have Amendola & Jones & a bunch of ?????????????????

JONES is now being counted on as a THREAT. I swear to God, I heard a Pats* fan say that. A few weeks ago most Pats* fans did not expect Jones to make the final roster.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-26-2013, 09:38 PM
SERIOUSLY??? Pass me some of what you are smoking. I hear Pats* fan on WEEI saying now they have Amendola & Jones & a bunch of ?????????????????

JONES is now being counted on as a THREAT. I swear to God, I heard a Pats* fan say that. A few weeks ago most Pats* fans did not expect Jones to make the final roster.

amendola is a younger version of welker, quicker too. jones is a bigger stronger young branch. Dobson and boyce are very very talented rookies.... so im not sure what you are smoking. let me ask you this, do you think they got rid of their whole wr group because the 4 new guys are worse? lol

OpIv37
06-26-2013, 09:54 PM
So you are contending that does not make sense from 94 year old Ralph Wilson that YOU make fun of ALL THE TIME?

What did you expect him or would you expect any other owner to do other than what he did.....................FIRE the Coaching staff at the end of the season?

Meddle like he has always done, or let the GM meddle...

better days
06-26-2013, 10:40 PM
amendola is a younger version of welker, quicker too. jones is a bigger stronger young branch. Dobson and boyce are very very talented rookies.... so im not sure what you are smoking. let me ask you this, do you think they got rid of their whole wr group because the 4 new guys are worse? lol

Amendola is younger & faster than Welker. I'll give you that. And he can catch the ball as well as Welker. Quicker, I'm not so sure of.

But here is what Welker has over Amendola....................TOUGHNESS. That is so important let me repeat that................TOUGHNESS.

Welker was Brady's security blanket because of that TOUGHNESS. Brady always knew he could count on Welker to FIGHT for that last yard or foot or inch to pick up the 1st Down when it was 3rd down & the clock was ticking.

Amendola not only does not bring that toughness to the table, but he has NEVER stayed healthy an entire season his entire career.

Donald Jones is so GOOD the Bills who have SUCKED for the last 13 years & had only starter Stevie Johnson on the roster at the time ( as Op has pointed out MANY times) LET HIM WALK. UNCONTESTED. NEVER made him an offer.

The ROOKIES................as Op likes to say, UNPROVEN.

As to why they let Welker & Lloyd walk........ my understanding from listening to WEEI Boston :

Welker, they LOWBALLED. They NEVER thought he would leave because of his love for Brady & the entire Pats* organization from Kraft down. The reports from WEEI Boston are Kraft & Belechick were SURPRISED & DISAPPOINTED/HURT Welker left.

Lloyd is viewed as a disappointment of a signing with a poor work ethic & a cancer in the locker room. They do not want to resign him even with the mess going on because they don't want him in the locker room. (Maybe because they don't want him infecting the Rookies. My guess)

The Pats* also planned to plug in Ballard until Gronk can play & have Hernandez.

Hernandez threw a monkeywrench into the entire situation.

better days
06-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Meddle like he has always done, or let the GM meddle...

Classic Op.

I must say I ENJOY the banter with you. I enjoy your retorts...........often humorous.

And as often as I & others have chided you about being a pessimist & saying you whine just for the sake of whining, I have NEVER seen you resort to calling other people names.

You are to be commended for that my friend (I hope I can call you that).

I just look forward to the day the Bills turn it around & you learn to trust again.

BillsFever21
06-26-2013, 11:01 PM

How is that any different then how many fans around here react to career average at best players?

There will be an adjustment period but IF Gronk comes back healthy then they will get by alright. Brady has gotten by in the past with crap at WR and can do it again. Branch was great during their SB run and then was worthless in Seattle. He comes back to New England and has another decent run again. Brady helps make his WR's. They also have a much improved running game to help mix things up then they have in the recent past.

justasportsfan
06-26-2013, 11:01 PM

I'm surprised (not really) why OP is not attacking this post. It goes against his philosophy. Then again it's not the bills players NTD is praising here.

better days
06-26-2013, 11:54 PM
How is that any different then how many fans around here react to career average at best players?

There will be an adjustment period but IF Gronk comes back healthy then they will get by alright. Brady has gotten by in the past with crap at WR and can do it again. Branch was great during their SB run and then was worthless in Seattle. He comes back to New England and has another decent run again. Brady helps make his WR's. They also have a much improved running game to help mix things up then they have in the recent past.

I'm not saying it is a slam dunk the Pats* will fall this year.

BUT with Brady 36 years old, & no PROVEN weapons at receiver for a good part of the Season.

There is HOPE that will happen. As I said, Pats* fans are WORRIED.

I think Bills fans have more faith in the Pats* than their own fans do.

OpIv37
06-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Classic Op.

I must say I ENJOY the banter with you. I enjoy your retorts...........often humorous.

And as often as I & others have chided you about being a pessimist & saying you whine just for the sake of whining, I have NEVER seen you resort to calling other people names.

You are to be commended for that my friend (I hope I can call you that).

I just look forward to the day the Bills turn it around & you learn to trust again.
I long for that day....

Skooby
06-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Except that people have been predicting the end of the Patriots every year since at least 2005. And in that time span, they only missed the playoffs once and still managed 11 wins that season.

Yes, their time will come. But there is no reason to believe their time is up until they show it on the field. And that has yet to happen.

Great coaching & systems in place help a lot as well, people just like to look at the moving parts & call it a different time. They still have Brady, he'll be executing like always health willing.

I'd worry about our coaches ability to counter-punch the adjustments & making our opponents guess. That's been missing for like 14 seasons running.

OpIv37
06-27-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm surprised (not really) why OP is not attacking this post. It goes against his philosophy. Then again it's not the bills players NTD is praising here.

NTD has proven himself to be not worthy of a response.

kishoph
06-27-2013, 03:39 AM

You say this while criticizing the Bills, then talk about how Belichick's system will turn average players into Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-27-2013, 05:29 AM
watch Donald jones, ( if healthy), catch about 90 balls for 1200 yds and 8tds... it will be hilarious

JoeMama
06-27-2013, 07:27 AM
watch Donald jones, ( if healthy), catch about 90 balls for 1200 yds and 8tds... it will be hilarious

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/9083872_zps0c8faa46.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/9083872_zps0c8faa46.jpg.html)

Hopefully he'll be like Sam Aiken.

Have a good game against the Dolphins, but not do much else for the Patriots.

OpIv37
06-27-2013, 07:52 AM
You say this while criticizing the Bills, then talk about how Belichick's system will turn average players into Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski.

lmao- are you really comparing a college coach in his first game as an NFL head coach to a guy with 3 SB rings?

justasportsfan
06-27-2013, 08:45 AM
I know, you're going to blame the coaches, but coaches won't make guys shed blocks better or get to the QB faster.

I agree to a certain degree ,but they can put you in a position to not get there. Players themselves publicly stated they ran a vanilla D last year and that teams knew what they were going to do all the time. Wanny pretty much told teams that this is our D , try to beat it and they did.

OpIv37
06-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I agree to a certain degree ,but they can put you in a position to not get there. Players themselves publicly stated they ran a vanilla D last year and that teams knew what they were going to do all the time. Wanny pretty much told teams that this is our D , try to beat it and they did.

yeah, the pass rush was very vanilla last year- it was basically 4 rushers straight up the field every time. Very few stunts or blitzes. And even though I saw it with my own eyes, I have a hard time believing that any NFL coach- even Wanny- could be so dumb as to keep doing the same ineffective thing over and over again and expect different results. I mean, it was almost like Wanny read one of those preseason magazines talking about how great our DL was, and just expected the talent to take over and do all the work without any actual coaching.

I will acknowledge that better coaching could mean better utilization of what little talent we do have, and that could lead to an improvement. But at the same time, our D was historically bad last year and we didn't add a whole ton of talent. So, I'm skeptical that Branch, Lawson, a few rookies and better coaching can turn an historically bad D into a good one or even a serviceable one in just one off-season.

justasportsfan
06-27-2013, 09:01 AM
I have a hard time believing that any NFL coach- even Wanny- could be so dumb as to keep doing the same ineffective thing over and over again and expect different results. I mean, it was almost like Wanny read one of those preseason magazines talking about how great our DL was, and just expected the talent to take over and do all the work without any actual coaching. .really? You keep blaming the bills for doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.All of a sudden that doesn't apply because you're arguing with yourself again?

You saw it and yet you don't believe it. Really?

I will acknowledge that better coaching could mean better utilization of what little talent we do have, and that could lead to an improvement. But at the same time, our D was historically bad last year and we didn't add a whole ton of talent. So, I'm skeptical that Branch, Lawson, a few rookies and better coaching can turn an historically bad D into a good one or even a serviceable one in just one off-season.I'm right there with you but while you're skeptical about the players you mentioned, I'm cautiously optimistic about Pettine being better than Wanny.

better days
06-27-2013, 09:17 AM
yeah, the pass rush was very vanilla last year- it was basically 4 rushers straight up the field every time. Very few stunts or blitzes. And even though I saw it with my own eyes, I have a hard time believing that any NFL coach- even Wanny- could be so dumb as to keep doing the same ineffective thing over and over again and expect different results. I mean, it was almost like Wanny read one of those preseason magazines talking about how great our DL was, and just expected the talent to take over and do all the work without any actual coaching.

I will acknowledge that better coaching could mean better utilization of what little talent we do have, and that could lead to an improvement. But at the same time, our D was historically bad last year and we didn't add a whole ton of talent. So, I'm skeptical that Branch, Lawson, a few rookies and better coaching can turn an historically bad D into a good one or even a serviceable one in just one off-season.

Not only was it 4 rushers, but he did not even move them around.

That is what Pettine meant about Mario Williams having a target on his back....... a STATIONARY target at that. Mario was EASY to find & easy to game plan against because the Bills kept him in the same spot play after play, game after game.

This year Mario & the rest of the team will run all kinds of stunts & games. The other team will have to find him before they can bring the extra blocker to chip him. The target is at least going to be moving...........much harder to hit.

OpIv37
06-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Not only was it 4 rushers, but he did not even move them around.

That is what Pettine meant about Mario Williams having a target on his back....... a STATIONARY target at that. Mario was EASY to find & easy to game plan against because the Bills kept him in the same spot play after play, game after game.

This year Mario & the rest of the team will run all kinds of stunts & games. The other team will have to find him before they can bring the extra blocker to chip him. The target is at least going to be moving...........much harder to hit.

fair enough- but how quickly can they learn all these stunts and blitzes, and how effectively can they execute them? That and just the general lack of talent- particularly at LB- is why I'm skeptical about the Bills' D turning it around this season.

better days
06-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Great coaching & systems in place help a lot as well, people just like to look at the moving parts & call it a different time. They still have Brady, he'll be executing like always health willing.

I'd worry about our coaches ability to counter-punch the adjustments & making our opponents guess. That's been missing for like 14 seasons running.

I am not worried about the Bills defense with Pettine running it. I can't wait to see that defense in action opening day against the Pats*

My concern is Hackett & his offense. We will find out in the first game how Hackett stacks up against a GREAT NFL Defensive mind in Belechick.

better days
06-27-2013, 09:41 AM
fair enough- but how quickly can they learn all these stunts and blitzes, and how effectively can they execute them? That and just the general lack of talent- particularly at LB- is why I'm skeptical about the Bills' D turning it around this season.

Pettine said he has put in about 75% of his playbook so far. Hopefully by the start of the season it will be at 100%, but yeah it will take a while before it becomes 2nd nature where players play FASTER because they are not thinking about what they are doing.

As for the talent, like I said, I think you are underestimating it because of bad Coaching in the past. And you have no faith in the players the Bills brought it.

I really wanted the Bills to draft Manny Lawson. He has been a starter his entire career & I am really excited to have him on the Bills.

better days
06-27-2013, 12:51 PM

That could happen since Amendola will probably only play about 6 games & Gronk may play about 8.

But if Amendola stays healthy for more than that, if Jones drops the ball like he did on the Bills, Brady will throw him the ball very few times so I could see Jones 25 catches 320 yds 1 TD.

TigerJ
06-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Looking up all the healthy TEs on NE's roster: Jake Ballard is a solid blocker with size, but not very fast. He'll catch the short pass, but he's not going to stretch the seam. Daniel Fells has been suggested by the Patriots as a possible candidate to fill Hernandez's role with the team. He's a little bigger than Hernandez, has good hands, but again will not stretch the field the way both Gronk and Hernandez have done. Brandon Ford used to play WR. He's probably the closest player on the Patriots' roster to Hernandez in terms of measurable and probably is a pretty good receiver to a TE, but doesn't appear to have the experience Belichick would like to see in order to plug him in. Michael Hoomanawanui might have the most potential to be a threat in the Patriots offense. He's got good size as a blocker (though I don't know how he's been regarded as a blocker) He's also got pretty good speed for his size and nice hands. His downside is a history of injury. Zach Sudfeld is a taller version of Hoomanawanui. He's pretty athletic with unusual speed for his size, and a decent blocker. Like Hoomanawanui, he has an injury history. He's also not physically strong enough to hold up in the NFL at this point. He needs a year in a good strength and conditioning program. That's about it.

Mike
06-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Going based on recent performance, offseason changes, & FA/Draft here is how week 1 looks:

Pats Offense vs Bills D
Lines: Bills have now have some big names but showed little results last season. Pats are consistent:

Expectations: a few sacks for the stat sheet but not enough pressures & nock downs.
Small Advantage: Pats

WR/TE vs DB: weakness vs weakness. The Bills arguable have to very good DBs and the Pats have 1 and a half good WR.

Expectations: Bills take out the major threats however Brady and Co do enough against Bills weaker links to score.
Small Advantage: Pats (Brady is just this good)

RB vs LB
Another major weakness for the Bills that has had some improvement. Bills D was nearly dead last in rushing yards D.
Expectations: would not surprise me if Pats attacked here 1st, establishing the run and running play action.

Bills O vs Pats D

Lines: strength vs strength. This one could go either way but due to new Guard on online advantage Pats
Expectations: Kolb holds the ball to long which lead to sacks, EJ is a raw rookie which would lead to the same.
Advantage: Pats

WR/TE vs DB
Pats DB have been a weak link but the Bills WR have just as many question marks. Further, Bills WR are mostly rookies playing in a new system with a new QB.
Expectations: Maybe a couple of big plays from WR, but mostly bottled up except for SJ.
Advantage: Even

RB vs LB
Finally the Bills have something to write home about. Spiller can go 90 for a TD at any point. The Pats have some terrific LB, but as we all know stopping the run is a collective effort.
Expectation: Spiller breaks a few for a TD.
Advantage: Bills

Momentum/Other: Bills (Pats are coming off of a strange and stressful offseason while the Bills are excited)

Winner:
Bills 17 Pats 23

better days
06-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Going based on recent performance, offseason changes, & FA/Draft here is how week 1 looks:

Pats Offense vs Bills D
Lines: Bills have now have some big names but showed little results last season. Pats are consistent:

Expectations: a few sacks for the stat sheet but not enough pressures & nock downs.

WR/TE vs DB: weakness vs weakness. The Bills arguable have to very good DBs and the Pats have 1 and a half good WR.

Expectations: Bills take out the major threats however Brady and Co do enough against Bills weaker links to score.
Small Advantage: Pats (Brady is just this good)

RB vs LB
Another major weakness for the Bills that has had some improvement. Bills D was nearly dead last in rushing yards D.
Expectations: would not surprise me if Pats attacked here 1st, establishing the run and running play action.

Bills O vs Pats D

Lines: strength vs strength. This one could go either way but due to new Guard on online advantage Pats
Expectations: Kolb holds the ball to long which lead to sacks, EJ is a raw rookie which would lead to the same.
Advantage: Pats

WR/TE vs DB
Pats DB have been a weak link but the Bills WR have just as many question marks. Further, Bills WR are mostly rookies playing in a new system with a new QB.
Expectations: Maybe a couple of big plays from WR, but mostly bottled up except for SJ.
Advantage: Even

RB vs LB
Finally the Bills have something to write home about. Spiller can go 90 for a TD at any point. The Pats have some terrific LB, but as we all know stopping the run is a collective effort.
Expectation: Spiller breaks a few for a TD.
Advantage: Bills

Momentum/Other: Bills (Pats are coming off of a strange and stressful offseason while the Bills are excited)

Winner:
Bills 17 Pats 23

My biggest disagreement with this is Pats* Offense VS Bills Defense

I think the Bills will bring a lot of pressure & Brady will get frustrated with no Gronk, Welker, Hernandez to get the ball to while under duress. He will get even more frustrated when Jones drops the ball.

HUGE advantage Bills.

Also disagree about Bills WR/TE VS Pats* D

NO WAY the Pats* DB's can cover Stevie & the speed of the Bills other WR's & the Bills now have a QB that can throw them the ball downfield. unlike in the past with Fitz & Trent.

Advantage Bills

Winner: Bills 28 Pats* 24

Mike
06-30-2013, 06:37 PM
My biggest disagreement with this is Pats* Offense VS Bills Defense

I think the Bills will bring a lot of pressure & Brady will get frustrated with no Gronk, Welker, Hernandez to get the ball to while under duress. He will get even more frustrated when Jones drops the ball.

HUGE advantage Bills.

Also disagree about Bills WR/TE VS Pats* D

NO WAY the Pats* DB's can cover Stevie & the speed of the Bills other WR's & the Bills now have a QB that can throw them the ball downfield. unlike in the past with Fitz & Trent.

Advantage Bills

Winner: Bills 28 Pats* 24

I see where your coming from but a pass game takes two to tango. Even the 1999 Vickings or 2001 Rams WR would have done much vs a college defense if my grandmother was QB.

Our WR are a ??? And so is the QB and both of these facts make it very hard to give them an advantage.

As for Pats O vs Bills D, the Bills D is coming off an historically bad season. I presume the Pats will run and run and run some more and when we least expect it, they'll throw a bomb or two.

This whole game and dynamic comes down to one player: Brady. He is just that good. We've seen him in the past move an offense devoid of good WR & TE against Ds that were better than ours. If the Bills had a great QB of their own, this would an entirely different ball game.

better days
06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
I see where your coming from but a pass game takes two to tango. Even the 1999 Vickings or 2001 Rams WR would have done much vs a college defense if my grandmother was QB.

Our WR are a ??? And so is the QB and both of these facts make it very hard to give them an advantage.

As for Pats O vs Bills D, the Bills D is coming off an historically bad season. I presume the Pats will run and run and run some more and when we least expect it, they'll throw a bomb or two.

This whole game and dynamic comes down to one player: Brady. He is just that good. We've seen him in the past move an offense devoid of good WR & TE against Ds that were better than ours. If the Bills had a great QB of their own, this would an entirely different ball game.

If the Bills were going to play the same defense as they did last year, I could see your point about how historically bad it was last year, BUT this Bills Defense will be NOTHING like the defense last year.

I expect a lot of talk on ESPN & NFL Network about how Pettine transformed the Bills defense & I expect that talk to start after the first game against the Pats*

There is NO QUESTION about the speed at the WR on the Bills. There is NO way the Pats* DBs will be able to cover everyone & then as you said, Spiller is the wildcard.

There is also no question no matter who the Bills QB is, he will be BETTER than Fitz was last year.

And I will give you Brady, BUT he can only throw the ball, he can't catch it as well.

Marrone said," when we look at a receiver, the FIRST THING is he has to catch the Ball."............................for those that wonder why Donald Jones is no longer a Bill.