PDA

View Full Version : Draft Day Thread

coastal
06-30-2013, 08:02 AM
It's a big day for the future of the club... at least that is how I'm hoping the Sabres are approaching this. They have to be... there not on the edge of greatness... there on the cusp of building a youthful, competitive team.

Keep that mindset and load up on young talent... and things will work out.

heres some players to look out for at 8...

Darnell Nurse
Elias Lindholm
Rasmus Ristolainen

Sleeper - Zachary Fucale

heres a few more to look out for at 16...

Adam Erne
Nikita Zadorov
Mirco Mueller

Skooby
06-30-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm hoping we move on from dead weight on our roster & start anew. I doubt we will & have to give time to grow together, that'll be the call while I vomit.

coastal
06-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Would love to pick up two more top 50 picks for Vanek and Miller.

DetDannyWilliams
06-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Here in NJ, Sabres talking about trading down!

SabreEleven
06-30-2013, 12:38 PM
As if the Sabres weren't middle of the road enough :rolleyes: Let's get even more players that will take years to develop if they develop at all.

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 01:37 PM
interesting the rumour flying around is the Sabres want to move up to 5 and Tyler Myers is going to the Hurricanes

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Darcy Regier says there are teams picking between 20 and 30 that want to move up into 16.. Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford tells TSN he has serious offers from 2 teams that want to move up into 5

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 02:30 PM
When you are picking 2nd overall you should be drafting the 2nd best player not the 4th best player the Panthers should have taken Seth Jones and not Sasha Barkov. Speaking of Jones I never would have guessed a month ago he wouldn't go in the 1st 3 picks.. Darcy should be making a phone call to Nashville GM David Poile right now

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 03:03 PM
So its Ristolainen at 8 and Regier gets Joel Armia a finnish buddy..Im not very happy with this Ristolainen is not a Top 10 talent talent wise so I do think it is a a reach. I wonder why they didn't take Nischuskin who for some reason is dropping like a stone just like Grigorenko did last year

ckg927
06-30-2013, 03:35 PM
So its Ristolainen at 8 and Regier gets Joel Armia a finnish buddy..Im not very happy with this Ristolainen is not a Top 10 talent talent wise so I do think it is a a reach. I wonder why they didn't take Nischuskin who for some reason is dropping like a stone just like Grigorenko did last year

I'll give you a 3 letter answer: KHL.

DetDannyWilliams
06-30-2013, 03:37 PM
hearing goaltender Zach Fucale or Brendan Burke son of Sean Burke might be the pick #16. Can't have too many goaltenders!

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I'll give you a 3 letter answer: KHL.

I know but 5 years from now I think Sabres fans will be pissed that Regier didn't take Nichuskin

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 03:49 PM
I think Darcy takes Adam Erne at 16

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Another defensemen Nikita Zadorov. Zadorov has good size he is a bit of a project but some scouts think he has tremendous upside.. I do think Darcy got good value with this pick

coastal
06-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Obviously looking at defense. Good.

you don't suck the way we do with all those shots on goal with defense not being an issue.

two solid picks as each defensemen has top 4 potential.

Skooby
06-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Average value like this should just keep us out of the playoff hunt.

Night Train
06-30-2013, 05:28 PM
LOL. People here are actually pretending they know something about these guys and grading them. :rofl:

Skooby
06-30-2013, 05:31 PM
LOL. People here are actually pretending they know something about these guys and grading them. :rofl:

If you're out of the top 5, you have a project that will take some time to pan out. We tried to rush the Russian, which ended up GFS.

WagonCircler
06-30-2013, 05:32 PM

What concerns me is that, based on past results, Darcy is one of the pretenders.

black N yellow
06-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Sekera gone for Jamie McBain.

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Sekera traded to Carolina..Sabres move up 4 spots and take a C JT Compher.. Darcy should have taken Goalie Zach Fucale he would have been great value at 35... Now the canadiens get Fucale at 35.. Darcy screwed this up..He could have taken Fucal at 34 and gotten Compther probably at 38..

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 05:41 PM
LW/C Connor Hurley at 38.. Darcy reaches again to take a player.. After 2 rounds I give the Sabres draft a C+

Crisis
06-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Really don't like trading Sekera.

Skooby
06-30-2013, 06:29 PM
LW/C Connor Hurley at 38.. Darcy reaches again to take a player.. After 2 rounds I give the Sabres draft a C+

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=82866&sort=finalRank&year=2013 (http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=82866&sort=finalRank&year=2013)

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Sekera traded to Carolina..Sabres move up 4 spots and take a C JT Compher..

I made a mistake here.. The Sabres got Andrew McBain and Carolinas 34th pick for Andrei Sekera.. The Sabres just drafted Carlton Baileys kid RW/C Justin Bailey with the 52nd pick... Darcy got good value getting Bailey at 52 and Bailey is the hometown kid which is a added bonus

Ginger Vitis
06-30-2013, 06:36 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=82866&sort=finalRank&year=2013 (http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=82866&sort=finalRank&year=2013)

The link wont open

Downinfloflo
06-30-2013, 06:48 PM
The link wont open

He's 5 years away from the NHL...

DetDannyWilliams
06-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Sabres take West Seneca, NY native Sean Malone #159th pick! Welcome home Sean! Sabres now have 4 players from hometown Buffalo Kaleta, Foligno, Bailey and Malone!

WagonCircler
06-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Sabres take West Seneca, NY native Sean Malone #159th pick! Welcome home Sean! Sabres now have 4 players from hometown Buffalo Kaleta, Foligno, Bailey and Malone!

I think the only thing that could possibly improve a Stanley Cup parade* down Delaware Ave. would be that same parade for a team with 4 or 5 local kids on it.

*Neither a prediction, nor a commentary on the picks. Just an observation.

YankeeInRaleigh
07-01-2013, 07:55 AM
WTF...why trade Sekera? Dammit, I really liked him.

gebobs
07-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Bleacher Report gives us an A. Just sayin'.

WagonCircler
07-01-2013, 08:25 AM

Well, now you can see him play in person 41+ times/year.

Ginger Vitis
07-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Bleacher Report gives us an A. Just sayin'.

I did see the Bleacher Report draft grade Bleacher Report is giving 90% of the NHL teams anywhere from a A- to a A+ lol but Darcy is being graded very well across the internet for the 2 defensemen he took in the 1st Round. My C+ grade might be harsh my issue is I would rather Darcy drafted Valeri Nichushkin at 8 and would have preferred G Zach Fucale at 35 instead of Ristolainen and Compther

YankeeInRaleigh
07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Well, now you can see him play in person 41+ times/year.

haha...ok, funny, ...........but dammit!

SkateZilla
07-01-2013, 09:36 AM
haha...ok, funny, ...........but dammit!

He's your problem now :p

DraftBoy
07-01-2013, 11:29 AM
ESPN Insider said the Sabres had the best draft of all.

gebobs
07-01-2013, 12:00 PM
I liked him back when we had a finesse team and he had promise. Not so much now that we need tough defensemen, he hasn't shown any gut, and hasn't put that finesse to any meaningful use.

See ya!

YankeeInRaleigh
07-01-2013, 12:07 PM
I liked him back when we had a finesse team and he had promise. Not so much now that we need tough defensemen, he hasn't shown any gut, and hasn't put that finesse to any meaningful use.

See ya!

Yeah...I think you're right, I guess I'm still judging him by potential, when he should have shown more than that by now. Still, we've had plenty of problem players, he wasn't really one of them.

meh, whatever, I just want us to win, if this is a move in that direction i'm happy.

- - - Updated - - -

He's your problem now :p

gag...gag...cough cough, sorry, just had to puke for a second after you assumed I'm a canes fan. :)

gebobs
07-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I did see the Bleacher Report draft grade Bleacher Report is giving 90% of the NHL teams anywhere from a A- to a A+ lol

Well, not quite. The highest grade was A- and just seven teams made that grade: BUF, CAL, COL, CBJ, MON, NAS, and WIN.

but Darcy is being graded very well across the internet for the 2 defensemen he took in the 1st Round. My C+ grade might be harsh my issue is I would rather Darcy drafted Valeri Nichushkin at 8 and would have preferred G Zach Fucale at 35 instead of Ristolainen and Compther

Perhaps. Nichushkin comes with warts just as Ristolainen does. I just wish we would draft more from North America. Euros are more risky especially now that some of the leagues there are beginning to compete on salaries.

rbochan
07-01-2013, 12:25 PM

See ya!

What?
Between 2010-2012 he allowed fewer than 2.20 goals/60 (which is outstanding) while playing shutdown minutes (top 2 in QoC) and controlling possession (2nd and 1st in Corsi on the blueline in running years). Those figures are excellent. He earned his contract and then some and anyone saying otherwise is flat. Out. Wrong.

Also...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1597578-carolina-hurricanes-a-graphic-analysis-of-jamie-mcbains-defensive-mistakes
"Suddenly, it's blatantly clear why McBain's public image has taken such a disastrous turn over the past month—he's simply, obviously, clearly just plain horrible."

gebobs
07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah...I think you're right, I guess I'm still judging him by potential, when he should have shown more than that by now.

He had tremendous potential coming out of the OHL having won the Kaminsky Trophy as the league's top defensman, previously won by the likes of Brian Campbell, Chris Pronger, Al MacInnis, and Denis Potvin. Then again, so did Bob Halfafetus.

With 8 years of pro under him, we should have seen more if it was forthcoming. In my mind, Sekera epitomized "europu$$y".

McBain, as a throw in along with a second round pick, is a steal. He has a cool name, has 2" on Sekera, is 2 years younger, has almost a million less cap hit, and he's American. As you likely know, he was great for Carolina in '10-'11 and '11-'12 and signed a nice contract. Last season was nothing short of a disappointment. This is a contract year. Could be he plays lights out.

gebobs
07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
What?
Between 2010-2012 he allowed fewer than 2.20 goals/60 (which is outstanding) while playing shutdown minutes (top 2 in QoC) and controlling possession (2nd and 1st in Corsi on the blueline in running years). Those figures are excellent. He earned his contract and then some and anyone saying otherwise is flat. Out. Wrong.

I didn't say he sucked. He's nothing special either. And he's gutless. We need less of that. This trade makes sense for that reason alone.

I don't know where you got the Corsi numbers, but according to this (http://www.diebytheblade.com/2013/6/18/4439836/2013-buffalo-sabres-report-cards-andrej-sekera), "Sekera had the third worst Relative Corsi mark on the team". Also Sekera had just "30 hits in 27 games" and "had almost twice as many giveaways as takeaways".

"Suddenly, it's blatantly clear why McBain's public image has taken such a disastrous turn over the past month—he's simply, obviously, clearly just plain horrible."
No question last year was a struggle. Maybe playing in Finland was a bad move. Maybe too much vodka. Maybe he can bounce back.

Or maybe he sucks. But he was a throw in. The real value in the trade was the pick.

YankeeInRaleigh
07-01-2013, 01:16 PM
As you likely know,

Honestly I know basically nothing about the 'canes, I only see them play 4 times a year, twice here against the sabres (where i'm like, 1-7 lifetime...geesh) and 2 times a season when they play the sabres in buffalo. The week after I moved down here was when we lost the ECF series to them. I've NOT been a fan.

WagonCircler
07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Honestly I know basically nothing about the 'canes, I only see them play 4 times a year, twice here against the sabres (where i'm like, 1-7 lifetime...geesh) and 2 times a season when they play the sabres in buffalo. The week after I moved down here was when we lost the ECF series to them. I've NOT been a fan.

If you've gone to games there, then you have, no doubt, figured out what monumental douchebags Canes fans are. Especially when the Sabres are in their (errrr the Wolfpack's) building.

gebobs
07-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Honestly I know basically nothing about the 'canes...
He had nearly 60 points over that span compared to 7 in the past lockout-shortened year. His QoC numbers aren't as good as Sekera's, but neither are his Corsi numbers as bad. The big difference is that last season was considered to be a big disappointment for McBain. At 25, this is his year to show if the optimism was merited or not.

As for Sekera, he's shown what he can do. He's reached his potential: decent two-way defenseman who doesn't play with anger or urgency.

YankeeInRaleigh
07-01-2013, 02:18 PM
If you've gone to games there, then you have, no doubt, figured out what monumental douchebags Canes fans are. Especially when the Sabres are in their (errrr the Wolfpack's) building.

Eh, douchebags...yes, but to be quite honest plenty of southerners are like that to ALL 'yankees'.

What I dislike most about canes fans is their ignorance of the game in general, and that a stanley cup basically fell ass backwards into their laps and they could not possibly have appreciated it.

gebobs
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Sabres get top marks: Among several teams scoring big in loaded prospect class (http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9439956/2013-nhl-draft-grades-buffalo-sabres-get-top-marks)

Buffalo Sabres: A+
Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov gives Buffalo two elite-sized, gritty D-men with picks No. 8 and No. 16 and, over time, will have a major impact on the back end. The blue line was a big need for the Buffalo system, and they addressed it as well as they could with their first two selections. In the second round, the Sabres add skilled, blue-collar forward J.T. Compher, and two big hard working forwards in Connor Hurley from Edina High School and Justin Bailey from Kitchener of the OHL -- both give added size. This was a really strong draft for the Sabres.

[Insider needed for the rest of the story]

DetDannyWilliams
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM

because Brayden McNabb is going to be here this year... you also have Pysyk, Pardy and Ruhwedel already on the roster

WagonCircler
07-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Eh, douchebags...yes, but to be quite honest plenty of southerners are like that to ALL 'yankees'.

What I dislike most about canes fans is their ignorance of the game in general, and that a stanley cup basically fell ass backwards into their laps and they could not possibly have appreciated it.

It was their arrogance that boggled my mind. They actually believed that Raleigh was a hockey town because the Hartford Whalers, a few years removed, won a cup with horseshoes up their asses.

Skooby
07-03-2013, 07:57 AM
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoYDfHdRRSzUAqmWJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3F_adv_prop%3Dimage%26va%3Dmcbain%2Bon%2Bsimpsons%26fr%3Donesearch%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D4&w=400&h=547&imgurl=sasquatchfilms.net%2Fsqog%2Fpics%2Fmcbain.gif&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsasquatchfilms.net%2Fsqog%2F211.html&size=101.3KB&name=Thursday%2C+February+3rd%2C+2011%3A+THE+%3Cb%3ESIMPSONS+%3C%2Fb%3E-+%3Cb%3EMcBain%3C%2Fb%3E&p=mcbain+on+simpsons&oid=f5a2f3f71659c1cddcaa436f840ada7c&fr2=&fr=onesearch&tt=Thursday%2C+February+3rd%2C+2011%3A+THE+%3Cb%3ESIMPSONS+%3C%2Fb%3E-+%3Cb%3EMcBain%3C%2Fb%3E&b=0&ni=36&no=4&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=117c474g6&sigb=13g4tp4ee&sigi=117fbhalv&.crumb=KD1rZVT2vOA&fr=onesearch