X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cookie G
    • Mar 2003

Most Overrated and Underrated Bills of All Time

The Buffalo Bills famously made it to four straight Super Bowls in the 1990s, losing all four. See which players from those famous teams make it onto the team's all-time overrated and underrated lists.

A pretty good article. I agree about Beebe. Running down Leon Lett aside, I never thought he lived up to his 4.3 speed.

I don't know about Smerlas being underrated. He wasn't at the time at least. Multiple pro bowler and he was considered one of the 2 or 3 best nose tackles in the league.

From that era, I go with Shane Nelson, point 3 of the Bermuda Triangle. Just a plain ass rock solid player who didn't let too many people get past him. A knee injury ended his career way too soon.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Most Overrated and Underrated Bills of All Time

I disagree with Drew being on the overrated list. As well as him soley costing them a playoff spot. The entire team was awful in that Steelers game. I think Peerless is definitely at the top of the list... we fleeced Atlanta for a 1st rounder there, Bledsoe and Moulds made Price look good.

As for underrated guys, I always liked Lofton, his career was winding down, but he provided solid balance to the passing attack.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
      • Aug 2012

In the last 15 years or so:

Overrated - Poz: Saw WAY too many Poz jerseys in the crowd (myself included) for his actual production on the field.
      Dareus: IMO he has been a HUGE disappointment so far. ESPECIALLY given the talent that went at the top of that draft. I know he's still a very young player and that is a very tough position to play at such a young age, but people call him a "near all pro" all the time, but in reality, he's not even close.

Underrated - McGee: The pass defense just seemed leaps and bounds better when he was in the game, even if on one knee.
      Kelsay: I know it's not popular, and he was never spectacular, but aside from his disastrous stint at OLB, he was always very solid manning the left side of the DL.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Schobel should definitely be in the "overrated" category.

Sure his stats look good, but he's rack up 3 sacks in a blowout then disappear for a month or so. The guy was streaky as hell and I don't recall him ever coming through in the tough, close games.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jdaltroy5
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          Schobel should definitely be in the "overrated" category.

Sure his stats look good, but he's rack up 3 sacks in a blowout then disappear for a month or so. The guy was streaky as hell and I don't recall him ever coming through in the tough, close games.
          See, that's why he's underrated. People think he only picked up fluff sacks in meaningless games.

But then people think he's great and the second best sack artist in Bills history, so that would definitely make him overrated.

In reality, it's somewhere in between, which would make him...rated?

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
            See, that's why he's underrated. People think he only picked up fluff sacks in meaningless games.

But then people think he's great and the second best sack artist in Bills history, so that would definitely make him overrated.

In reality, it's somewhere in between, which would make him...rated?
            think about what he's had to work with both coaching and cast for the most of his career. Sure he had Sam Adams, Pat Williams at one point . But other than that, nothing. If Hansen belongs to the bills WOF, so does Shobel. Hansen had Bruce
            Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-02-2013, 11:27 AM.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
              • Jan 2003

I couldn't believe Schobel was considered underrated in that list. Bledsoe was supposed to be a savior coming in and he wasn't. He needed an elite offensive line, so in that sense, he was a bit overrated, but only because expectations were so high.

Putting Ferguson on the overrated list is a travesty IMO. The guy was NEVER considered a great QB and many hated him. I liked him and thought he was a slightly above average QB. Throwing him on the list and talking about his three INTs against the Chargers in 80 without talking about him playing on a badly sprained ankle in that game (Louis Kelcher purposely went after the ankle with his helmet after a play and didn't get a penalty) is disingenuous.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                thnk about what he's had to work with both coaching and cast for the most of his career. Sure he had Sam Adams, Pat Williams at one point . But other than that, nothing. If Hansen belongs to the bills WOF, so does Shobel.
                Well, that's what I mean. Half the people think he was great and would've been even better had he had a better cast and better coaches.

Half the people think he was terrible and only picked up fluff time sacks.

That's why he's aptly rated.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
                  Well, that's what I mean. Half the people think he was great and would've been even better had he had a better cast and better coaches.

Half the people think he was terrible and only picked up fluff time sacks.

That's why he's aptly rated.
                  HAnsen had 61 sacks in 11 years with Bruce opposite him 9 of those years and who knows how many of those sacks were "garbage" sacks. Schobel had 78 sacks in 9 years.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

My list:
                    Under rated:
                    Ted Washington
                    Antoine Winfield
                    Jim Braxton
                    Bobby Chandler
                    Jerry Butler
                    Pete Metzellars

Over rated:
                    Peerless Price
                    Nate Clements
                    Cornelius Bennett
                    Frank Reich ( I know, how do you overrate a backup QB)
                    Beebe

I'm almost tempted Byrd on this list because I think he isn't the greatest with his tackling ability, but he does get the ball, so he can't go on this list.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                      HAnsen had 61 sacks in 11 years with Bruce opposite him 9 of those years and who knows how many of those sacks were "garbage" sacks. Schobel had 78 sacks in 9 years.
                      Hansen played in a 3-4. A 3-4 DE isn't a pure pass rusher like a 4-3 DE.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

My most underrated Bill would be Joe Devlin. The guy was a rock on the left side from 1976-1990. Hon mention to Ritcher, Chandler, and Smerlas. On defense maybe Robert James or Tony Greene.

Overrated in my book was Cornelius Bennett. Maybe JD Hill, or Mario Clark.

I can't argue with the list, although I though tFergy did well on real crap teams.

I always thought Beebe stunk.

Comment

• Turf
                          • Jul 2002

Marv Levy, most overrated Bill of all time.
                          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Smerlas was tough to like. If you actually attended games during that era, you would have heard the PA announcer say " Offsides..76 Defense. 5 yard penalty " about 1000 times, so it seemed. He was directly over Center and bit on the count over and over. I thought the guy was a walking 5 watt bulb, myself.

Underrated ? Talley was TWICE the LB Bennett (overrated) ever was but didn't get the pub. Another LB from the 1970's-early 1980's was Lucious Sanford, who hit as hard as anyone I ever saw, even though he never weighed more than 215 lb's. Played out of his mind every play.

I don't see why they think Byrd was underrated. Both he and George Saimes had a great rep in the old AFL and were selected to the all-time team.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mayotm
                              • Jul 2003

Talley was underrated. Perhaps not by Bills fans, but definitely nationally.

Comment

Working...
                              X