PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated and Underrated Bills of All Time

cookie G
07-02-2013, 10:02 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214805/article/buffalo-bills-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

A pretty good article. I agree about Beebe. Running down Leon Lett aside, I never thought he lived up to his 4.3 speed.

I don't know about Smerlas being underrated. He wasn't at the time at least. Multiple pro bowler and he was considered one of the 2 or 3 best nose tackles in the league.

From that era, I go with Shane Nelson, point 3 of the Bermuda Triangle. Just a plain ass rock solid player who didn't let too many people get past him. A knee injury ended his career way too soon.

The King
07-02-2013, 10:47 AM
I disagree with Drew being on the overrated list. As well as him soley costing them a playoff spot. The entire team was awful in that Steelers game. I think Peerless is definitely at the top of the list... we fleeced Atlanta for a 1st rounder there, Bledsoe and Moulds made Price look good.

As for underrated guys, I always liked Lofton, his career was winding down, but he provided solid balance to the passing attack.

jdaltroy5
07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
In the last 15 years or so:

Overrated - Poz: Saw WAY too many Poz jerseys in the crowd (myself included) for his actual production on the field.
Dareus: IMO he has been a HUGE disappointment so far. ESPECIALLY given the talent that went at the top of that draft. I know he's still a very young player and that is a very tough position to play at such a young age, but people call him a "near all pro" all the time, but in reality, he's not even close.

Underrated - McGee: The pass defense just seemed leaps and bounds better when he was in the game, even if on one knee.
Kelsay: I know it's not popular, and he was never spectacular, but aside from his disastrous stint at OLB, he was always very solid manning the left side of the DL.

OpIv37
07-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Schobel should definitely be in the "overrated" category.

Sure his stats look good, but he's rack up 3 sacks in a blowout then disappear for a month or so. The guy was streaky as hell and I don't recall him ever coming through in the tough, close games.

jdaltroy5
07-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Sure his stats look good, but he's rack up 3 sacks in a blowout then disappear for a month or so. The guy was streaky as hell and I don't recall him ever coming through in the tough, close games.
See, that's why he's underrated. People think he only picked up fluff sacks in meaningless games.

But then people think he's great and the second best sack artist in Bills history, so that would definitely make him overrated.

In reality, it's somewhere in between, which would make him...rated?

justasportsfan
07-02-2013, 11:22 AM
See, that's why he's underrated. People think he only picked up fluff sacks in meaningless games.

But then people think he's great and the second best sack artist in Bills history, so that would definitely make him overrated.

In reality, it's somewhere in between, which would make him...rated?

think about what he's had to work with both coaching and cast for the most of his career. Sure he had Sam Adams, Pat Williams at one point . But other than that, nothing. If Hansen belongs to the bills WOF, so does Shobel. Hansen had Bruce

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2013, 11:22 AM
I couldn't believe Schobel was considered underrated in that list. Bledsoe was supposed to be a savior coming in and he wasn't. He needed an elite offensive line, so in that sense, he was a bit overrated, but only because expectations were so high.

Putting Ferguson on the overrated list is a travesty IMO. The guy was NEVER considered a great QB and many hated him. I liked him and thought he was a slightly above average QB. Throwing him on the list and talking about his three INTs against the Chargers in 80 without talking about him playing on a badly sprained ankle in that game (Louis Kelcher purposely went after the ankle with his helmet after a play and didn't get a penalty) is disingenuous.

jdaltroy5
07-02-2013, 11:27 AM
thnk about what he's had to work with both coaching and cast for the most of his career. Sure he had Sam Adams, Pat Williams at one point . But other than that, nothing. If Hansen belongs to the bills WOF, so does Shobel.
Well, that's what I mean. Half the people think he was great and would've been even better had he had a better cast and better coaches.

Half the people think he was terrible and only picked up fluff time sacks.

That's why he's aptly rated.

justasportsfan
07-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Well, that's what I mean. Half the people think he was great and would've been even better had he had a better cast and better coaches.

Half the people think he was terrible and only picked up fluff time sacks.

That's why he's aptly rated. HAnsen had 61 sacks in 11 years with Bruce opposite him 9 of those years and who knows how many of those sacks were "garbage" sacks. Schobel had 78 sacks in 9 years.

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2013, 11:33 AM
My list:
Under rated:
Ted Washington
Antoine Winfield
Jim Braxton
Bobby Chandler
Jerry Butler
Pete Metzellars

Over rated:
Peerless Price
Nate Clements
Cornelius Bennett
Frank Reich ( I know, how do you overrate a backup QB)
Beebe

I'm almost tempted Byrd on this list because I think he isn't the greatest with his tackling ability, but he does get the ball, so he can't go on this list.

OpIv37
07-02-2013, 11:36 AM
HAnsen had 61 sacks in 11 years with Bruce opposite him 9 of those years and who knows how many of those sacks were "garbage" sacks. Schobel had 78 sacks in 9 years.

Hansen played in a 3-4. A 3-4 DE isn't a pure pass rusher like a 4-3 DE.

Historian
07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
My most underrated Bill would be Joe Devlin. The guy was a rock on the left side from 1976-1990. Hon mention to Ritcher, Chandler, and Smerlas. On defense maybe Robert James or Tony Greene.

Overrated in my book was Cornelius Bennett. Maybe JD Hill, or Mario Clark.

I can't argue with the list, although I though tFergy did well on real crap teams.

I always thought Beebe stunk.

Turf
07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Marv Levy, most overrated Bill of all time.

Night Train
07-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Smerlas was tough to like. If you actually attended games during that era, you would have heard the PA announcer say " Offsides..76 Defense. 5 yard penalty " about 1000 times, so it seemed. He was directly over Center and bit on the count over and over. I thought the guy was a walking 5 watt bulb, myself.

Underrated ? Talley was TWICE the LB Bennett (overrated) ever was but didn't get the pub. Another LB from the 1970's-early 1980's was Lucious Sanford, who hit as hard as anyone I ever saw, even though he never weighed more than 215 lb's. Played out of his mind every play.

I don't see why they think Byrd was underrated. Both he and George Saimes had a great rep in the old AFL and were selected to the all-time team.

mayotm
07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Talley was underrated. Perhaps not by Bills fans, but definitely nationally.

jdaltroy5
07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
I'll probably get killed for this, but I always thought Steve Tasker was overrated.

The King
07-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Underrated ? Talley was TWICE the LB Bennett (overrated) ever was but didn't get the pub. Another LB from the 1970's-early 1980's was Lucious Sanford, who hit as hard as anyone I ever saw, even though he never weighed more than 215 lb's. Played out of his mind every play.

Talley was my first thought as well. But so many on this site appreciate him I didnt think it was worth noting.
I throw London Fletchers name out there too.

justasportsfan
07-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Hansen played in a 3-4. A 3-4 DE isn't a pure pass rusher like a 4-3 DE.

Schobel had close to 4 seasons with Dick Jauron. While his first year under Dick was his best year, his nos. dropped the longer Dick "play not to lose" Jauron stayed. As the Pitts and Pats put it, they knew what was coming before they made the snap.

If you take everything into account, Schobel=Hansen .

OpIv37
07-02-2013, 11:50 AM
I'll probably get killed for this, but I always thought Steve Tasker was overrated.
Tough call on that one. He was average as an offensive player, but arguably the best S/Ter ever. The problem is that S/T is such a small percentage of downs. Great S/T play will never net the same results as great offensive or defensive play over the long haul.

OpIv37
07-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Schobel had close to 4 seasons with Dick Jauron. While his first year under Dick was his best year, his nos. dropped the longer Dick "play not to lose" Jauron stayed. As the Pitts and Pats put it, they knew what was coming before they made the snap.

If you take everything into account, Schobel=Hansen .

Some guys need better players around them, some guys make the players around them better. Schobel is just another one of the former. Yeah, if Schobel got to play opposite Bruce Smith in his prime, he'd have better numbers, but that's the nature of team sports. Anybody is better on a better team.

Turf
07-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Tasker was awesome as a receiver later in his career when they let him play. Best ST ever as well. But he wasn't under or over rated.

Thurmal
07-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Underrated ? Talley was TWICE the LB Bennett (overrated) ever was but didn't get the pub.
Talley was definitely underrated, but this is crazy. People forget how fast Bennett could move laterally and how he came up with turnovers at opportune times.

For an underrated LB, I'd go with Sam Cowart. This guy was a monster from 99-01 and, with typical Bills luck, a torn Achilles ruined his chance to become the best MLB in football.

k-oneputt
07-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Since were talking the glory day linebackers, Talley was underrated as he was a playmaker and the heart and soul of that defense. I don't agree that Bennett was overrated. His arrival was one of the keys to getting to those Superbowls. Just his being out there on the opposite side of Bruce made everybody better and he had to be accounted for on every passing down. I thought he played some of his best football the one year when he played inside alot. conlan was the one that was overrated imo.
Cowart and Teddy Washington were underrated. Washington was one of the best nt in the history of this league when he was in his prime.

k-oneputt
07-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Shane Nelson was another underrated lb. Before he got injured I thought he was better then Haslett.

justasportsfan
07-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Some guys need better players around them, some guys make the players around them better. Schobel is just another one of the former. Yeah, if Schobel got to play opposite Bruce Smith in his prime, he'd have better numbers, but that's the nature of team sports. Anybody is better on a better team.

I was not trying to compare Schobel to Bruce but to Hansen.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-02-2013, 12:19 PM

He played during one of the worst eras of Bills football ever. I mean, if a guy gets a sack on 2nd down and then a clueless DB gives up a 20 yard completion on 3rd to convert then the sack is 'meaningless.' But just for some examples:

2009 season opener against New England, Schobel has a 3rd down sack and a Pick 6 and was in Brady's face all night. If not for Leodis McFumble, that would go down as a player of the week performance
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200909140nwe.htm

2007 vs. Washington (the Sean Taylor memorial game), Schobel gets a sack on 3rd and goal in a game we win by 1 point
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200712020was.htm

2006 vs. Green Bay, Schobel sacks Favre twice in the 4th quarter while he was trying to rally
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200611050buf.htm

2006 vs. Houston, Schobel sacks Carr out of Buffalo territory in the 3rd quarter, leading to a punt
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200611190htx.htm

2004 vs. Miami. Schobel gets consecutive sacks on 1st and goal and 2nd and goal to keep Miami from tying the game
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200410170buf.htm

The guy wasn't Bruce Smith or anything but he was a great player on bad teams for many years.

OpIv37
07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
He played during one of the worst eras of Bills football ever. I mean, if a guy gets a sack on 2nd down and then a clueless DB gives up a 20 yard completion on 3rd to convert then the sack is 'meaningless.' But just for some examples:

2009 season opener against New England, Schobel has a 3rd down sack and a Pick 6 and was in Brady's face all night. If not for Leodis McFumble, that would go down as a player of the week performance
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200909140nwe.htm

2007 vs. Washington (the Sean Taylor memorial game), Schobel gets a sack on 3rd and goal in a game we win by 1 point
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200712020was.htm

2006 vs. Green Bay, Schobel sacks Favre twice in the 4th quarter while he was trying to rally
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200611050buf.htm

2006 vs. Houston, Schobel sacks Carr out of Buffalo territory in the 3rd quarter, leading to a punt
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200611190htx.htm

2004 vs. Miami. Schobel gets consecutive sacks on 1st and goal and 2nd and goal to keep Miami from tying the game
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200410170buf.htm

The guy wasn't Bruce Smith or anything but he was a great player on bad teams for many years.

Really wish I had time to go back and look at the game by game numbers to show the number of sacks he had at the end of lopsided games or the number of times he went 3+ consecutive games without a sack....

cookie G
07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
My most underrated Bill would be Joe Devlin. The guy was a rock on the left side from 1976-1990.

Yeah, that's a good one. When Gastineau was getting his 20+ sacks, the guy he could never beat was Devlin. He said he voted for Devlin in the Pro Bowl every year.

I thought he was the best Bill to never make the Pro Bowl.

Historian
07-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Good role player, nothing more.

Mark Pike was the underrated guy on special teams.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Really wish I had time to go back and look at the game by game numbers to show the number of sacks he had at the end of lopsided games or the number of times he went 3+ consecutive games without a sack....

Only the all-timers consistently produced on a game by game basis. Pass-rushing can be a feast or famine business. You get one good matchup on a guy, and you can set him up with moves and abuse him all day. Then you get another couple guys who've seen that film and it takes a while to adjust. I'm certainly not claiming Schobel is an all-timer.

bf1
07-02-2013, 01:45 PM
I used to call Schobel garbage time, because that's when he'd get his sacks and pressures.

GvilleBills
07-02-2013, 02:11 PM

When the writer said he played the run well, he lost all credibility.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I used to call Schobel garbage time, because that's when he'd get his sacks and pressures.

Then what do you think about CJ Spiller? He got almost 200 yards and a TD in the Jets game, which we lost by 20 points. He got 175 yards in the Miami road game, which we lost by 14 points. He got 100 yards and a TD in the Seattle game, which we lost by 33 points.

For some reason, only Schobel gets slapped with this garbage time tag.

BillsFever21
07-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Bledsoe was overrated for the time he was here. We traded a divisional rival a 1st round pick for a QB on the decline. He gave us one stellar season and that was it. He also choked when it mattered the most and wasn't a winner on the field. He peaked early in his career but his game went down the tubes at a young age.

The Patriots were in the toilet with him as their QB and even without the injury he was heading for the bench very soon if his play didn't improve. He wasn't very good his last several years in New England. After he was traded to Buffalo he got some fire back in his belly and gave us one good season in his first year in Buffalo. After that he reverted back to the sack master and turnover machine who couldn't win games.

ServoBillieves
07-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Shane Conlan? Really? This awful team that I root for has to throw my favorite player under the bus? I didn't see that coming. Oh well, I'll wear my 58 jersey proudly.

k-oneputt
07-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Shane Conlan? Really? This awful team that I root for has to throw my favorite player under the bus? I didn't see that coming. Oh well, I'll wear my 58 jersey proudly.

Guess you were'nt paying attention. I didn't say he was a bad player but an overrated one.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-02-2013, 08:17 PM
for it to be fair, it needs to be a bill who played for us for a considerable amount of time, say over 3 years.... and for a solid context ill do one while we were relevant in the modern era( the 90s 88-2000).... 2 most overrated- Darryl talley and rob Johnson. rob Johnson for obvious reasons, and talley. I thought talley was, say as good as a sam rogers,( as solid role player). but he wasn't as good as bills fans and his ego would leave you to be... he never stepped up on the run d in those super bowls. 2 most underrated- eric moulds and andre reed. eric moulds is still one of the top 3 wr talents I ever saw. he was a " great" player. that word is thrown around too much. and andre reed for the hof snub. he played over the middle in an era where wr's were not protected. not only that, he has the hof stats and he was the number 1 wr on a great team with 4 straight sb appearances. I think bills fans don't think he is underrated, but the national media and writers do. not only did reed play over the middle in that era, and have hof stats, and win a ton of big games, he also created so much after the catch, something that is not really of any doing but his own skill and talent. one of the jerry rice, barry sanders, Lawrence taylor type players that will never be in that conversation even though he should...

NOT THE DUDE...
07-02-2013, 08:20 PM
outside of bruce,( and it was painfully obvious in 91 when he was hurt), that d on the sb team was really average, and even average at best many times... it shows you how great their o was

ServoBillieves
07-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Guess you were'nt paying attention. I didn't say he was a bad player but an overrated one.

Didn't know you wrote the article, sorry.

Turf
07-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Good role player, nothing more.

Mark Pike was the underrated guy on special teams.

Seriously are you kidding. Tasker did things that not one special teams player since him has done. Not ONE.

k-oneputt
07-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Didn't know you wrote the article, sorry.

Sorry my man, I actually didn't even look at the article until now. I usually don't pay any attention to what national writers say about the Bills and their players since they are usually clueless.

gebobs
07-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm down with Fergie being overrated. I spit every time I hear his name and screen all his calls.

JoeMama
07-02-2013, 10:14 PM
A couple of underrated guys due to injuries...

Sam Cowart: I believe he would've been a HOfer. His numbers were as good as Ray Lewis and Zach Thomas between 1998 and 2000. He anchored the middle like a champ. Incredibly smart and instinctive; played like a veteran from day one.

Jonas Jennings: He would've been a consistent pro-bowler. He allowed zero sacks his first year as a starter at RT. Only allowed 2 sacks his first year at LT. Then the injuries mounted. His career dead ended in San Fran a few years later.

Mace
07-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Devlin belonged in underrated, Davis and Ballard also were good selections, not Schobel, though I had my issues with him I don't think he belongs in under/over because he did very well on terrible teams, but also didn't really dominate anything to make terrible teams any better. On better teams he'd have been a legend, on worse teams, he'd have been least worst and done something that made you happy once a game.

Beebe, doesn't belong in over, he was pummeled savagely for his time and the era, and coming out of Chadron State was hardly expected to light it up for being fast. I've never seen any Bills receiver take more vicious hits than he did and I'd be amazed if he can even remember his own name, because for a fast guy, they never ran him on fly patterns, they always and ever ran him in the middle where he'd get mashed and be expected to run another 30 yards without motor control of half his body.

I don't think Conlan and Ferguson belong there either. Ferguson did what he could in a different era without being all that much, and Conlan the Penn State outside linebacker with skinny olb legs made the best of his ILB time for having wee lil skinny legs until teams realized they needed to hit him low in his skinny lil legs because he didn't belong where he was playing.

My list would include Kelsay in both over and under, because they kept him so long, and under, because I have never seen anyone so incapable try so hard.

Under : Smerlas, Davis, Kelsay, Ballard (he really was redoubtable), Byrd....and geez Talley so belongs in any top 5 so I'd make it 6, and there is Devlin so 7.

Over : Kelsay (come on now), Kyle Williams (awesome defensive tackle on the worst pass rushing defenses in Bills history, huh, he's a defensive tackle, like on the inside ?), Peerless (whoop), Flutie (you need be good more than one year after defenses in the division realize to wave their arms in your face), and Jauron, who was perhaps the worst coach this franchise ever encountered, or ever will, and easily destroyed 10 years of maybe with the most appealing mediocre apathy I can possibly imagine. You will remember Jauron for 7-9 but if you experienced it it will be the most terribly agonizing dull witted uncolorful unimaginative, infuriatingly uncommunicative batch of nonsense they could ever come up with. It's bad when a coach loses, trying to win, but it's even worse when a coach loses, entirely unconcerned about the point of the game so he can be nice to the opposing team and ruin your following week by being so totally blank and incoherent at the post game press conferences his sentences don't even make sense. Hank Bullough as a head coach was at least colorfully amusing, and 2 or three others at least gave you appropriate game day cliches that were coherent sentences.

Oh I will so ever despise Dick Jauron, and his name should be engraved on an entrance tile, so anyone who enters the stadium can walk over the despicable carcass of his tooth gnashing legacy of pointless.

Hm, anyway....

NOT THE DUDE...
07-03-2013, 01:52 AM
under- McGahee- ( pre-knee injury form). probably out of the great size/speed combo backs like Dickerson, Jackson, Campbell, ricky Williams, he was the most graceful and explosive. his stop to 20 yard acceleration was mercurial and jaw dropping. after reading the medical report, and knowing there was no structural damage, no nerve damage, and it was simply a matter of him gaining that strength back, I thought we might be getting another oj but bigger and stronger. or at the very least another fred taylor, ( who I consider one of the top 5 talents ever at rb).... but the leg was not the same, his acceleration gone and he became a little bit better than antowain smith... remarkable considering he tore 3 ligaments like marcus lattimore and became a pro bowl back who was now a power back with decent quicks in the hole... but man, who knows what that rb could have become. never seen speed and acceleration on a man that big... marcus Dupree comes to mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gG3mSYjkJ8

NOT THE DUDE...
07-03-2013, 01:58 AM
1:35 and 9:08!

NOT THE DUDE...
07-03-2013, 02:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAhgybXDXu4 401 and 759

NOT THE DUDE...
07-03-2013, 02:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0RnMU8Ry-8 442

NOT THE DUDE...
07-03-2013, 02:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAtv3_k1XpU 731

NOT THE DUDE...
07-03-2013, 02:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHeu1nUAKho 207-power , 441 every trait in a rb displayed, power, speed, quickness, acceleration, vision, making something out of nothing...

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2013, 06:28 AM
A couple of underrated guys due to injuries...

Sam Cowart: I believe he would've been a HOfer. His numbers were as good as Ray Lewis and Zach Thomas between 1998 and 2000. He anchored the middle like a champ. Incredibly smart and instinctive; played like a veteran from day one.

Jonas Jennings: He would've been a consistent pro-bowler. He allowed zero sacks his first year as a starter at RT. Only allowed 2 sacks his first year at LT. Then the injuries mounted. His career dead ended in San Fran a few years later.

I disagree with putting guys who didn't play very long because of injury on lists like this. Probably why I wouldn't put Shane Nelson on either. Sure they were very good for a year or two, but if they weren't hurt, everybody would have known of them. To me, underrated means a fairly long career without many accolades.

And accolades means pro bowls and national attention, not just loved by the fans. Saying Talley is overrated is moronic.

coastal
07-03-2013, 07:09 AM
The name says it all...

Fool's Gold.

JoeMama
07-03-2013, 07:44 AM
I disagree with putting guys who didn't play very long because of injury on lists like this. Probably why I wouldn't put Shane Nelson on either. Sure they were very good for a year or two, but if they weren't hurt, everybody would have known of them. To me, underrated means a fairly long career without many accolades.

And accolades means pro bowls and national attention, not just loved by the fans. Saying Talley is overrated is moronic.

By those rules, I'd say G Jerry Ostroski was underrated.

Super versatile and reliable. Made every start between 1995-2000 minus the '99 Indy game when Wade rested our starters prior to the playoffs. Ostroski played every position on the line and performed fairly well. A coach's dream. Good run blocker. Good mentality for a lineman.

Andy Levitre reminded me of Ostroski a little bit (but with a higher ceiling) which is another reason I'm disappointed he went to Tennessee.

Historian
07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Tasker did things that not one special teams player since him has done. Not ONE.

Like.....

Special teams is a small role. He was good, but certainly got the credit he deserved by the national press, as well as the local hacks.

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 09:27 AM
By those rules, I'd say G Jerry Ostroski was underrated.

Super versatile and reliable. Made every start between 1995-2000 minus the '99 Indy game when Wade rested our starters prior to the playoffs. Ostroski played every position on the line and performed fairly well. A coach's dream. Good run blocker. Good mentality for a lineman.

Andy Levitre reminded me of Ostroski a little bit (but with a higher ceiling) which is another reason I'm disappointed he went to Tennessee.

Levitrie couldn't play every position on the line. He's a great guard but a mediocre tackle and a god-awful center.

Historian
07-03-2013, 09:33 AM
I'd put Robb Riddick on the underrated list too.

I remember a game where he blocked a punt.

gebobs
07-03-2013, 10:10 AM

And overrated. I remember a game where he dropped a pass.

Fixxxer
07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Henry Jones = underrated

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2013, 04:52 PM

Didn't he block a few kicks too back when you could run and jump from behind the line? He was a good short yardage specialist too.

- - - Updated - - -

And overrated. I remember a game where he dropped a pass.

Me too, but he was wearing a cast at the time, but that is no excuse.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
under- McGahee- ( pre-knee injury form). probably out of the great size/speed combo backs like Dickerson, Jackson, Campbell, ricky Williams, he was the most graceful and explosive. his stop to 20 yard acceleration was mercurial and jaw dropping. after reading the medical report, and knowing there was no structural damage, no nerve damage, and it was simply a matter of him gaining that strength back, I thought we might be getting another oj but bigger and stronger. or at the very least another fred taylor, ( who I consider one of the top 5 talents ever at rb).... but the leg was not the same, his acceleration gone and he became a little bit better than antowain smith... remarkable considering he tore 3 ligaments like marcus lattimore and became a pro bowl back who was now a power back with decent quicks in the hole... but man, who knows what that rb could have become. never seen speed and acceleration on a man that big... marcus Dupree comes to mind

We didn't get pre-injury McGahee, we got post-injury McGahee. If anything he was an overrated Bill.

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2013, 06:17 PM
We didn't get pre-injury McGahee, we got post-injury McGahee. If anything he was an overrated Bill.

That was from the same guy who called Talley overrated.

The Jokeman
07-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Wow! I totally forgot Peerless came back for a second stint with the Bills yet of those listed Bledsoe deserves the nod. In terms of underrated I commented year after year how good Schobel when he was here but few listened and still stand by it.

The Jokeman
07-03-2013, 07:12 PM
That was from the same guy who called Talley overrated.

Talley wasn't a great OLB guys like Paup and Bennett had more to offer. Yet Talley is fondly remember because of his "leadership skills" and closeness to Bruce Smith but to me Talley was a good player surrounded by two great players in Smith and Bennett but easily replaceable.

ICRockets
07-03-2013, 08:12 PM
All-time underrated: Cookie Gilchrist

During my lifetime: London Fletcher

PTI
07-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Marv Levy and Steve Tasker by far outweigh everyone in the overrated category.

Joe Cribbs was underrated, good player on bad teams.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Talley wasn't a great OLB guys like Paup and Bennett had more to offer. Yet Talley is fondly remember because of his "leadership skills" and closeness to Bruce Smith but to me Talley was a good player surrounded by two great players in Smith and Bennett but easily replaceable.

communication is horrible on this board lol. I totally agree. I didn't say talley was bad, not valuable, I said he was overrated by bills fans. he was not a pro bowl talent.. imo

NOT THE DUDE...
07-05-2013, 12:36 PM
he was solid, and a great leader. but lets not pretend he was in the same class as Bennett, bruce... he was a sam rogers type

Mr. Pink
07-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Marv Levy and Steve Tasker by far outweigh everyone in the overrated category.

Joe Cribbs was underrated, good player on bad teams.

Cribbs is the guy who should have been named in the article at RB not Kenneth Davis.

I wouldn't say Levy was overrated. After 1988 the team could have totally imploded without the right guy at HC to coddle and stroke the egos. If the Bickering Bills wasn't squashed, there would have been no Superbowl years. Marv deserves a lot of credit for managing the personalities. His on the field presence was non-existent though as he didn't call the plays, didn't make adjustments, he basically just stood there.

Parzival
07-08-2013, 12:02 AM
One of my favorite players from when I first really got into following the Bills was WR Bobby Shaw. Pretty sure he had a rather uneventful career, but I had completely forgotten about him until randomly watching some highlights from 10ish years ago.

A guy I havent seen mentioned as far as underrated/overrated is Josh Reed (probably for good reason). Clearly he sucked his first few years, but I thought he really stepped his game up toward the end of his tenure here. He wasnt spectacular by any means but I thought he got blamed for more than his fair share.

And on a national level Kyle Williams. If he was on the Ravens or Steelers he'd probably be a household name. At least as far as Dlinemen go.

Jan Reimers
07-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Talley was a great player and the heart of the Bills' defense during our best years. He is, at least nationally, the most underrated Bill ever.

I might put him on the Bills' Mt. Rushmore.

OpIv37
07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
One of my favorite players from when I first really got into following the Bills was WR Bobby Shaw. Pretty sure he had a rather uneventful career, but I had completely forgotten about him until randomly watching some highlights from 10ish years ago.

A guy I havent seen mentioned as far as underrated/overrated is Josh Reed (probably for good reason). Clearly he sucked his first few years, but I thought he really stepped his game up toward the end of his tenure here. He wasnt spectacular by any means but I thought he got blamed for more than his fair share.

And on a national level Kyle Williams. If he was on the Ravens or Steelers he'd probably be a household name. At least as far as Dlinemen go.

Josh Reed was the victim of poor coaching and just lack of talent around him. He was a solid #3 that two different coaching staffs tried to force into a #2 role.

pmoon6
07-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Anybody who calls Daryl Talley an "overrated" played needs to turn in his Bills' fan card and is an idiot. He played 12 seasons and never missed a game. He was the heart and soul of that defense. He helped Bruce Smith, who was a lazy, fat slob when he came to the Bills' become one of the top three defensive ends of all time. If you ask anybody not associated with the Bills who Talley was, they couldn't tell you.

He was loved in Buffalo because he was a lunch pail player who brought it every play.