PDA

View Full Version : Are We Concerned About Not Having a Deal Done With Byrd Yet?

SpikedLemonade
07-03-2013, 09:31 AM
I appreciate we have a couple more weeks to get it done, but the news certainly has not been positive.

Night Train
07-03-2013, 10:59 AM
His agent is the hold out King. It's not a surprise and who knows what they are thinking, after seeing the possible replacements during the recent OTA's.

GvilleBills
07-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Eugene Parker is an *******, but he's the type of guy a player would want fighting for him.

ublinkwescore
07-03-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm concerned, just get it done.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm very concerned and have been for months.

Meathead
07-03-2013, 11:43 AM
zero concern honestly. no way these guys bone this one up. they have the leverage and desire, they will get a deal done. might be a few days before the opener cuz its so high profile but itll get done

better days
07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
zero concern honestly. no way these guys bone this one up. they have the leverage and desire, they will get a deal done. might be a few days before the opener cuz its so high profile but itll get done

I believe a long term contract has to be done before July 15.........................Stay tuned.

BillsFever21
07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
If we can't get a long term deal done with him then we should try and work out a trade for him. There is no reason keeping him for one season on a team that doesn't have a realistic chance at contending for even a playoff spot let alone a deep playoff run.

If they are offering him fair money according to the recent contracts given out and he's not taking it then he obviously doesn't want to be here. If they are trying to squeeze him then they are showing their incompetence.

If we can't keep him or they don't plan on keeping him beyond this year then at least get something for him. It would be an utter incompetence to let one of the best young safeties in his prime walk for nothing. If we could get a 1st or a 2nd and 3rd/4th for him then it would be better then letting him walk. That's the worse that could happen. I would rather keep him though.

Extremebillsfan247
07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to eventually see Byrd in a Chargers uniform.

DraftBoy
07-03-2013, 12:14 PM
No most of these deals happen in the days before camp not the weeks. If camp starts and he's not in then its time to get worried.

bleve
07-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Deadlines usually make things happen. That doesn't mean I'm not worried, other than Peters I don't know how much success we've had with his agent.

The Jokeman
07-03-2013, 01:04 PM
As long as Byrd suits up for the Bills against the Patriots in Week 1 that's all that matters, granted I think he also needs to play in the preseason to get an understanding of the new D etc.

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 01:10 PM
I find it extremely frustrating that the Bills failed to resign their own in Levitre and Byrd AND failed to attract any big-name FA's. Byrd should have been in OTA's and mini camp and he NEEDS to be in camp on the first day if he's going to learn the new D.

tampabay25690
07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Not worried at all!!!
If Aaron Williams gets more time out there Byrd may be a goner..

NOT THE DUDE...
07-03-2013, 01:54 PM
I want him back. excellent safety. but im not sweating it. I think aaron Williams can be a excellent safety... but at least he wil play this year

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 02:22 PM
I seriously hope you guys are being sarcastic about Aaron Williams.

The dude was terrible last year and seemed completely confused by the defensive changes. I don't see how a position change AND learning another new D this year are going to make him better.

I mean seriously- you guys are talking about replacing a Pro Bowl S with a sub-par CB.

Parzival
07-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Players hold out, just the way it is. It's useless to worry about until he starts missing camp. I agree with Op though, there's no way we can let two of our best homegrown players walk when they come up for a second contract.

jimmifli
07-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I appreciate we have a couple more weeks to get it done, but the news certainly has not been positive.
Normally I don't give a **** about DB's. But he's the first one we've had since Winfield that has made an impact. He's worth every penny he's asking and deserves to be the highest paid safety in the NFL.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-04-2013, 12:45 PM

The dude was terrible last year and seemed completely confused by the defensive changes. I don't see how a position change AND learning another new D this year are going to make him better.

I mean seriously- you guys are talking about replacing a Pro Bowl S with a sub-par CB.

He wasn't good at corner, a totally different skill set than safety. byrd would be a terrible cb too

Typ0
07-04-2013, 01:53 PM
my sense is this is just a young players selfish power play. He's just dragging reality out to prepare on his own terms instead of the teams because it's an option to him now. When the rubber hits the road he will suit up. From his point of view signing just tips the power into the teams hands as they will begin to make demands on him.

OpIv37
07-04-2013, 02:11 PM
He wasn't good at corner, a totally different skill set than safety. byrd would be a terrible cb too
Well, he was worse at corner last year than he was in 2011. Translation: he struggled to learn the new D.

Now he has to learn the new D AND a new position. And don't give me the "well he played S in college" speech- not the same thing at all.

And remember, we're not talking about replacing any old S. Byrd is a Pro Bowl player and probably top 10 in the NFL, definitely top 15. If you expect a mediocre CB to move back to S and play at that level, you're delusional.

jimmifli
07-04-2013, 03:27 PM
And remember, we're not talking about replacing any old S. Byrd is a Pro Bowl player and probably top 10 in the NFL, definitely top 15. If you expect a mediocre CB to move back to S and play at that level, you're delusional.
You're way undervaluing Byrd. Name 3 FS's that have been better the last 3 years?

Anybody that thinks a the second coming of Chris Watson is going to replace Byrd at safety is trolling or delusional.

BADTHINGSMAN
07-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Agreed, but remember in NTD's mind Buffalo is full of All Pro players. They can all play WR and LB. The more I think about it the more he sounds like Russ Brandon.

Mace
07-04-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm honestly not concerned at all. They aren't going anywhere this year, when you get past the yearly hoping for magic, and an excellent safety will win about as many games as an excellent guard and we are not looking at a history of defensive excellence here where anyone singlehandedly stole wins. They can't honestly be quibbling over a vast amount of money, but length of contract, and with a franchise tag now it's very much up to Byrd if he wants to be here or not or he can accept the tag, dazzle the league for a year and get even more money wherever after playing a year on a temp deal with an aggressive DC that will surely increase his value. If he just doesn't accept the tag, goodbye, because he's just that determined not to want to be here anyway and I'm not really so sure he does to begin with or you'd be seeing him say plenty about it to try and cadge an extra year or 3 out of them with pretend devotion.

If he doesn't like it he can watch games on his couch and see what big bucks he rakes in next year from whoever just had a winning year and needs chop their talent for cap purposes to not be the same team they just finished as while attracting safeties who just sat on their couch for a year and losing their best core roleplayers.

GingerP
07-05-2013, 02:47 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to eventually see Byrd in a Chargers uniform.

They already have a highly-paid star safety in Eric Weddle, it is hard to envision them trading for Byrd and paying him more. They shifted CB Marcus Gilchrist in as the other S, they are hurting more for a CB.

If Byrd is going to be extended, it will have to be done by the 15th of this month, after which he is only eligible to play on the 1-year franchise tender. Any team trading for him would do so by then as well, since they aren't going to trade much for a guy one a 1-year deal. The answer will come in the next 10 days, after which the only real option is him playing for the Bills this year.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-05-2013, 04:16 PM
trade byrd for gilchrist, 2nd, and 4th

BillsFever21
07-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Well, he was worse at corner last year than he was in 2011. Translation: he struggled to learn the new D.

Now he has to learn the new D AND a new position. And don't give me the "well he played S in college" speech- not the same thing at all.

Hell you're giving him too much credit there. I've seen players he said has good versatility or could fill in somewhere else because they played a different position in High School. Forget even college football if they played a different position in High School against a bunch of regular joes for the most part then he really is crazy. Next it will be Pop Warner football

coastal
07-05-2013, 09:51 PM
We don't pay productive players.

we pay other team's unproductive trash.

jimmifli
07-05-2013, 10:12 PM
We don't pay productive players.

we pay other team's unproductive trash.
http://i.imgur.com/foAyr.gif

Yasgur's Farm
07-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Here's some positive stuff if you all can handle... From another board...

"JULY 5, 2013 BY BRIAN HARRINGTON LEAVE A COMMENT
Buffalo Bills FS Jairus Byrd is looking for the same kind of deal that San Diego Chargers FS Eric Weddle received, which was a five-year deal worth $40 million. The Bills are reportedly offering a deal much lower to this as of now, very similiar to what Antrel Rolle received from the Giant ( 5 years $37 million) but have stepped up talks in the past couple of days and are confident a deal will get done before deadline."

Jan Reimers
07-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Good news! We're not exactly overwhelmed with the kind of All-Pro talent that Byrd has.

Meathead
07-06-2013, 01:28 PM
wait, five years for 37 or five years for 40 is 'much lower'?? hell i think we can take up a collection at the next tailgate for that much

IlluminatusUIUC
07-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I don't believe that figure. Weddle's deal was two years ago. Goldson got more than that a few months ago. If Byrd is willing to take less than Goldson then sign him yesterday.

TigerJ
07-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Concerned? Sure! Byrd is a sure thing, a known commodity at FS, and one of the best in the NFL at the position. The cupboard is definitely not bare if Byrd isn't here, but in stead of a sure thing, not having Byrd leaves the Bills with a lot of maybes and what ifs. Maybe Aaron Williams makes a superb adjustment to safety and plays far better at that position than he ever did at CB. Maybe Duke Williams can make his superior speed and athleticism count on the field and play at a high level. Mana Silva is a promising youngster and might be able to step in. None of those maybes is as good as a high level sure thing.

Typ0
07-06-2013, 08:54 PM
wait, five years for 37 or five years for 40 is 'much lower'?? hell i think we can take up a collection at the next tailgate for that much

3$ million is quite a gap...especially if it's part of a signing bonus!

GingerP
07-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't believe that figure. Weddle's deal was two years ago. Goldson got more than that a few months ago. If Byrd is willing to take less than Goldson then sign him yesterday.

Weddle's deal was 5 years/$40M with $19M guaranteed.

Goldson's deal was 5 years/$41.25M with $18m guaranteed.

I'd say those are in the same ballpark, and set pretty good comparisons for Byrd. The total dollars don't matter as much as the structure.

Weddle contract pays $14M for the first year, $19M in the first 2 years and $25M in the first 3 years.

Goldson's deal will pay him $9M for the first year, $18M for the first 2 years and $26M in the first 3 years.

Weddle got a big signing bonus up front ($13M), Goldson got no signing bonus but has guaranteed salary and roster bonus (TB is taking the cap hit up front to make the hits more manageable later)

The negotiation right now probably has to do with the payout in the first few years. Byrd is going to want to hit those big payouts up front, the Bills would rather defer.

Goobylal
07-06-2013, 10:09 PM
The more I look at it, the more I want Byrd to play just 1 year, the Bills train his replacment, and then trade him next year. We don't need a friggin' FS making $8+M/year!

IlluminatusUIUC
07-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Weddle's deal was 5 years/$40M with $19M guaranteed.

Goldson's deal was 5 years/$41.25M with $18m guaranteed.

I'd say those are in the same ballpark, and set pretty good comparisons for Byrd. The total dollars don't matter as much as the structure.

Weddle contract pays $14M for the first year, $19M in the first 2 years and $25M in the first 3 years.

Goldson's deal will pay him $9M for the first year, $18M for the first 2 years and $26M in the first 3 years.

Ok that makes more sense. Thanks for hte break down.

Weddle got a big signing bonus up front ($13M), Goldson got no signing bonus but has guaranteed salary and roster bonus (TB is taking the cap hit up front to make the hits more manageable later)

The negotiation right now probably has to do with the payout in the first few years. Byrd is going to want to hit those big payouts up front, the Bills would rather defer.

I'm not sure why though. We have the space now, we should front load his deal to pay him in the next two seasons. 2015 is when the big name FAs come up.

jimmifli
07-09-2013, 12:54 AM
The more I look at it, the more I want Byrd to play just 1 year, the Bills train his replacment, and then trade him next year. We don't need a friggin' FS making $8+M/year!
Seriously. We could save so much cap space if we only pay ****ty players!

X-Era
07-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Sign him before the 15th. We have the cap room, do it.

If we don't and he holds out, trade him.

There's no point in carrying the 6+ mill in cap hit for a player that won't play and that we will likely lose to free agency next year.

Get something out of him in a trade.

X-Era
07-09-2013, 05:54 AM
No most of these deals happen in the days before camp not the weeks. If camp starts and he's not in then its time to get worried.
I thought that can't happen with the new CBA.

That if he isn't signed before July 15th he can't be signed until after next season.

X-Era
07-09-2013, 05:57 AM

I mean seriously- you guys are talking about replacing a Pro Bowl S with a sub-par CB.Is he a sub-par CB because he can't keep up with the outside WR's? If so he may be a good S still. Don't forget Byrd played CB in college and like Williams was being looked at at both positions when he entered the draft.

Jan Reimers
07-09-2013, 07:28 AM
The situation with Byrd is a microcosm of why I have lost my intense, rooting interest in the Bills after a lifetime of devout fanhood. The two sides have apparently stopped talking, which the Bills often do in anticipation of losing yet another standout player.

Maybe they will surprise me and get a deal done, but I have seen great players walk away from the Bills far too often to be optimistic. They seem always to re-sign their mediocre favorites to big contracts, while getting into pissing contests with the guys they could really build around. Some of this could just be posturing, but with the Bills - unlike the successful teams - these kinds of negotiations more often end badly.

I know they can't re-sign everyone, but they have already let Levitre go this off season. They cannot afford to lose another of their top five players.You cannot build a winning team if you keep showing the door to your top performers.

My interest has waned for one single reason: the Bills organization continually fails to do everything in their power to win, as evidenced by 13 years of futile, no-playoff football. If Byrd leaves, it will just be one more instance of their organizational failure.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-09-2013, 09:15 AM
The situation with Byrd is a microcosm of why I have lost my intense, rooting interest in the Bills after a lifetime of devout fanhood. The two sides have apparently stopped talking, which the Bills often do in anticipation of losing yet another standout player.

Maybe they will surprise me and get a deal done, but I have seen great players walk away from the Bills far too often to be optimistic. They seem always to re-sign their mediocre favorites to big contracts, while getting into pissing contests with the guys they could really build around. Some of this could just be posturing, but with the Bills - unlike the successful teams - these kinds of negotiations more often end badly.

I know they can't re-sign everyone, but they have already let Levitre go this off season. They cannot afford to lose another of their top five players.You cannot build a winning team if you keep showing the door to your top performers.

My interest has waned for one single reason: the Bills organization continually fails to do everything in their power to win, as evidenced by 13 years of futile, no-playoff football. If Byrd leaves, it will just be one more instance of their organizational failure.

has it ever occurred to you that he doesn't want to be here? im sure they are giving him a sound offer, yet he wont show up to otas...?? either way, he has no options as we can franchise him for 2 straight years with little impact on the cap. so the ball is and always has been in his court. it is what it is, and he wont practice. im excited about aaron Williams and quite frankly can care less about a centerfield safety... if this was a qb/wr/lt or pass rusher, than that would be another story.

Skooby
07-09-2013, 09:26 AM
has it ever occurred to you that he doesn't want to be here? im sure they are giving him a sound offer, yet he wont show up to otas...?? either way, he has no options as we can franchise him for 2 straight years with little impact on the cap. so the ball is and always has been in his court. it is what it is, and he wont practice. im excited about aaron Williams and quite frankly can care less about a centerfield safety... if this was a qb/wr/lt or pass rusher, than that would be another story.
We do need Byrd, it's just not at a huge cost that he's looking to get.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-09-2013, 10:02 AM
We do need Byrd, it's just not at a huge cost that he's looking to get.

he wants 8+ mil per man... its ridiculous for a fs outside of polamalu or ed reed who are better all around players. ( don't even come close to comparing reed and byrd, they are not even close)

Jan Reimers
07-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Of course I've considered that he doesn't want to be here. And who's fault is that? An organization that has not made the playoffs for 13 consecutive years, nor WON a playoff game in going on 20. An organization that signs its Chris Kelsays to lucrative contracts and its Mario Williams to monster deals, but now digs its heels in when its good young players want a small premium for staying with the most irrelevant franchise in the league. That's who.

Our front office has botched things for so long that it's now a joke. Byrd will probably sign somewhere else for a relatively few bucks more, as the Pat Williams, Antoine Winfields, London Fletchers, Andy Levitres, et. al. have done for years, leaving us in a continual mediocre, treading water mode. You can't rebuild into a winner when you are forced to base most of your personnel decisions on replacing players you've let get away.

The King
07-09-2013, 10:24 AM
If we can't extend him we should trade him end of story. It's a rebuilding year, no point in renting him for a season.

DraftBoy
07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
I thought that can't happen with the new CBA.

That if he isn't signed before July 15th he can't be signed until after next season.

Nope, he can still sign just has to sign under his tender.

Night Train
07-09-2013, 01:45 PM
The issue with the NFL is the imbalance in salary, when trying to keep within the cap. The standard practice is overpaying 5-7 core guys, then struggling to keep a decent supporting cast around them in order to win. Coaching and scheme can help overcome this with some organizations but many teams have short term runs, rebuild and try again. Some like the Bills and a few others permanently rebuild and never really improve. So picking the right core guys is important. I can't turn a blind eye to the fact Levitre will collect an insane 26 Mil over the next 2 years with Tenn. That's just dumb $$ spent. You pay Byrd 9 Mil and then must let others walk next year ? I'm not so sure that's a good idea but let's see how this plays out first.

Generalissimus Gibby
07-09-2013, 03:26 PM
A decade ago I would have been concerned, but after the 2005 off-season I came to the conclusion that this franchise is incompetent and as such I expect to lose our best talent. We probably will bungle resigning CJ Spiller and let him go to say New England, New York, or Miami. This will of course be paired with giving a **** load of cash to Marcel Dareus especially if he does nothing on the field in the next season or two. The Bills: If I weren't still a fan, the incompetence would be hilarious.

HAMMER
07-09-2013, 03:48 PM
He sure doesn't sound like a guy that wants to stay in Buffalo.

“Yeah re-signing with Buffalo, I have no problems, but I know that around this time it’s about business, so I understand that too,” said Byrd late last season. “I love the fans here. We just have to win. That’s the biggest thing, just winning and I want to be somewhere where I’m wanted too. I want people to want me here and if that’s the case I have no problems with Buffalo.”

IlluminatusUIUC
07-09-2013, 05:56 PM
So picking the right core guys is important. I can't turn a blind eye to the fact Levitre will collect an insane 26 Mil over the next 2 years with Tenn. That's just dumb $$ spent. What happens if Levitre and Warmack revitalize Chris Johnson's career and he becomes a Top 3 back and they have an elite offense again? Is that still wasted money?
You pay Byrd 9 Mil and then must let others walk next year ? I'm not so sure that's a good idea but let's see how this plays out first. That's the crazy part, we have a ton of cap space this year AND next year and no major FAs until 2015. WHO are we losing by signing Byrd and tell me how they are worth losing Byrd to save?

Meathead
07-09-2013, 06:01 PM
still not worried

bills have almost all the leverage here. no way does he sit the season bc hed be right back in the same spot next year. if he sits out until game 10 to get credit for the season then he only gets paid for seven games. and if he doesnt sign something long term before next monday he will likely get franchised again next spring

its in both sides best interest to get something done so they will wait until probably the weekend to posture then bear down and get it done just under the coy wire

Goobylal
07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
still not worried

bills have almost all the leverage here. no way does he sit the season bc hed be right back in the same spot next year. if he sits out until game 10 to get credit for the season then he only gets paid for seven games. and if he doesnt sign something long term before next monday he will likely get franchised again next spring

its in both sides best interest to get something done so they will wait until probably the weekend to posture then bear down and get it done just under the coy wire
It's actually in Byrd's best interest to get something done now. The Bills have him for the next 2 years at $6.9 and $8.28M ($7.6M/year), unless they can find a team willing to trade a 2nd rounder or higher. True UFA for him is 2 years away and anything can happen in that time period. And he'd be stupid to miss any of the season, and even training camp, considering it's a new defense for him and this is a contract year.

Meathead
07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
agreed. in terms of getting a huge payday (as if 7.6m per isnt huge) above all other safeties, thats not gonna happen. byrd is very good but not the absolute best and this is also bad timing for him in that regard in that the safeties are not a highly compensated position compared to some of the others right now. its all around bad for byrd to not get something done, which is why im totally confident it will

better days
07-09-2013, 10:44 PM

Well, how would every Bills fan now feel about drafting Kaepernick?

Drafted by the 49ers, almost gets them to the Super Bowl & NOW sports a Miami Dolfins cap?

I am HAPPY he is not a Bill NOW myself. What a JACKASS.

Mike
07-10-2013, 12:30 AM
For a while I've often thought that perhaps were being major leagued however with the new CBA we would have a chance however it still looks like its the same old Bills FO.

To make matters worst, the next generation of elite QBs are already here and if history is any indicator it will be another 10-15 before the Bills have a shot at a great QB that materializes. In other words, don't expect anything substantial from this franchise for the next 15 years!!!

Teams that have best chances of winning SBs over next 15 years:
Colts
Redskins
Seahawks
49ers
Panthers
Packers
Lions

The King
07-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Well, how would every Bills fan now feel about drafting Kaepernick?

Drafted by the 49ers, almost gets them to the Super Bowl & NOW sports a Miami Dolfins cap?

I am HAPPY he is not a Bill NOW myself. What a JACKASS.

I would kill to have a problem like this. Who cares.

The King
07-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Byrd is a very good safety, but he's not a game changer. He's not Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu (in their prime). I'm not a fan of creating holes when rebuilding but he has to be realistic about this deal. He should be paid as a top 5-7 safety.

better days
07-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Nope, he can still sign just has to sign under his tender.

After July 15, he can only be signed to a one year contract, not a long term contract. What good is that? If they can't get a contract done before July 15, it is better to have him play under the tag IMO. Let him play out the year, & trade him before the next draft, then draft the best Safety available.

jdaltroy5
07-10-2013, 09:44 AM
After July 15, he can only be signed to a one year contract, not a long term contract. What good is that? If they can't get a contract done before July 15, it is better to have him play under the tag IMO. Let him play out the year, & trade him before the next draft, then draft the best Safety available.

That's the Buffalo Bills franchise model.

1) Draft player
2) Player turns into top 5 at his position
3) Let him walk if he wants to be paid accordingly
4) Use high draft pick to replace him

Rinse. Repeat.

coastal
07-10-2013, 10:40 AM

1) Draft player

Rinse. Repeat.
5.) make big splash every three into free agency to keep idiot fan on the hook by signing players like TO and Fools Gold.

jimmifli
07-10-2013, 01:58 PM

1) Draft player

Rinse. Repeat.
Totally agree.
Teams win by getting the most performance for dollars spent on the cap. Byrd has been a deal and has outperformed his contract, that won't be the case on his next contract. But the goal isn't to only have players that are "deals", the goal is to get the MAXIMUM performance for all cap dollars spent. That means you pay your star performers and hope to find deals in FA and the draft.

Not paying the stars ensures you never reach maximum performance, and gets you a couple of decades ****.

better days
07-10-2013, 02:55 PM

1) Draft player

Rinse. Repeat.

I am not advocating the Bills do this, but as you said, I can see it happening. Who knows what he is asking or how much the Bills have offered?

If the team can't come to terms with him our best hope is to have him play well this year & get the best draft pick we can.

jdaltroy5
07-10-2013, 03:33 PM
I am not advocating the Bills do this, but as you said, I can see it happening. Who knows what he is asking or how much the Bills have offered?

If the team can't come to terms with him our best hope is to have him play well this year & get the best draft pick we can.
Oh, I know you're not advocating, but like you, I can see it happen.

If we lose Byrd, I'll be beyond pissed.

That was the best draft we had in a while. A draft that you can ACTUALLY start to dig your franchise out of a hole with. If you lose them all after their rookie contracts, then what's the point of even competing?

stuckincincy
07-10-2013, 03:40 PM
I'd let him hold out.

He has nimble fingers to pluck a caroming ball. He's good at going to where the passed ball is heading. Crafty guy...get those int numbers up, and eschewed run duties. He recently came up on the run - perhaps a "scheme" thing by his bosses, perhaps not.

He's not a bad safety, but as some have said, not a "game changer". His efforts aren't going to add many victories.

What's to do now? He wants more $ than offered by the Bills - this has been going on for a long time.

The tender isn't working out. Let it lapse, don't offer a contract. He goes, BUF will likely get a 3rd comp pick depending on other FA moves.

Extremebillsfan247
07-11-2013, 09:52 AM
After reading Joe Buscaglia's bit on Byrd on the WGR550 website, and viewing Buffalo Rumblings representation of the Bills depth chart, I've come to the conclusion that the Bills failing to sign him could have nasty consequences. Byrd is among the top 12 safeties in the NFL. When you remove a guy like that from this team's secondary depth chart, it looks extremely young, inexperienced, and vulnerable. Byrd was the table turner for 3 of the 6 wins we got last year. I think the Bills are making a big mistake by not signing him long term. But that's my opinion.

DraftBoy
07-11-2013, 10:32 AM

That's why I said with under his tender. What good is it? Well you get him on the field this year...

better days
07-11-2013, 12:38 PM
After reading Joe Buscaglia's bit on Byrd on the WGR550 website, and viewing Buffalo Rumblings representation of the Bills depth chart, I've come to the conclusion that the Bills failing to sign him could have nasty consequences. Byrd is among the top 12 safeties in the NFL. When you remove a guy like that from this team's secondary depth chart, it looks extremely young, inexperienced, and vulnerable. Byrd was the table turner for 3 of the 6 wins we got last year. I think the Bills are making a big mistake by not signing him long term. But that's my opinion.

I believe your opinion is shared by many others including myself.

- - - Updated - -

OpIv37
07-11-2013, 03:00 PM

Yeah, it's bad news.

The Bills aren't big players in FA (with Mario Williams being the rare exception) because they are supposed to build through the draft. Well, most of the draft picks have been piss-poor. Levitre was one of the good ones and he's gone. Byrd is another good one and now it looks like he's got one foot out the door.

So, the team doesn't build through the draft because they either make bad picks or let guys walk after their rookie deals, and they're not players in FA. Where exactly is the talent supposed to come from? Do they expect to win by signing UDFA's and other teams' trash? Right now, that seems to be the plan.

I'm giving them a little bit of a pass because this is Marrone's first year and Whaley's first year of running the show, but if this team is ever going to win, the drafting better be a whole lot better (starting this year) and we better not let any more quality FA's walk.

OpIv37
07-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Here we go again with the biased nonsense. Byrd's a great safety, until negotiations with him and the Bills turn sour. Then he's just a center fielder. Meanwhile, you're excited about AARON WILLIAMS- a CB who got eaten alive in a new D last year- moving to S and learning both a new D and a new position.

That's the very definition of blind homerism right there. There is no semblence of objectivity or reality to your statement. It's simply what you personally want to happen.

OpIv37
07-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Well said. The sad, sad truth. I just have to wonder what their priority is, because it's clearly not winning football games.

Goobylal
07-11-2013, 05:16 PM
The coaching staff gets a mulligan for this season. Unless you were expecting the Bills to make the playoffs, and unless Byrd's replacement fails, there are no nasty consequences.

Mr. Pink
07-11-2013, 10:46 PM
That's why I said with under his tender. What good is it? Well you get him on the field this year...

Well you get him on the field by what, week 10 so he can get credit personally for a year of service?

I forgot what week exactly he needs to actually show up to get this season to count for him.

Mouldsie
07-12-2013, 01:20 AM
I am officially worried.

I dont see why they cant just give him a nice front-loaded contract. What's the hold up?

BTW I love Aaron Williams at Safety. Let him compete or rotate as SS though because Byrd is elite.

better days
07-12-2013, 08:07 AM

Most players that sign the one year contract want a clause put in that contract that they can't be franchised the next year.

I would be TOTALLY against that myself. I would rather have him for 10 games this year with the ability to trade him next year because we would still be able to tag him than to have him for the entire year this year & lose him for nothing but a comp pick next year.

better days
07-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Well you get him on the field by what, week 10 so he can get credit personally for a year of service?

I forgot what week exactly he needs to actually show up to get this season to count for him.

Yes, he would have to play in 10 games to get credit for the year.

better days
07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
I also heard that if he signs a one year contract, he can be traded & the team that trades for him can then sign him to a long term contract.

Unless the Bills got GREAT value in that trade however I would rather see him on the field for the Bills this year & trade him in the offseason.

Mace
07-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Byrd's a great safety, until negotiations with him and the Bills turn sour. Then he's just a center fielder.

This is absolutely my opinion and I feel no shame in saying it.

Honestly, no one is the cog that will get us over the hump to a Super Bowl win unless they are for someone else after we decide they aren't.

Would sure be refreshing to see someone sign for veteran minimum with nothing but obvious incentives over the predictable guaranteed bonus that's basically the core of his salary intent anyway because he wants to be here and is excited about where things are going, but that's not going to happen.

Let him sit there and increase his free agent value by being less capable than he could have been working with the system and competing with the next batch of high priced safeties while not maximizing himself. If he comes in last week he can and lights up the world with his dominating safety excellence without experience practice and conditioning he deserves to not be here anyway and would sure surprise me because he didn't really contribute superstar excellence to the defense I've been watching the last couple years knowing what he was supposed to have been doing and practicing it.

He's going to come in late and junk a hamstring for conditioning issues, then next year people will argue "well, he was not prepared", no matter where he ends up.

Really weirdly, people sign contracts that say ok to the tender but you can't next year then can get resigned shortly after or get to maximize their value for current team and showcase themselves for next one.

But is this really going to cripple the Super Bowl hopes ? I dunno .....

BillsFever21
07-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Even after failing miserably on the Maybin pick we still ended up with our best draft in a decade in 2009. Had we hit with the first pick then it may have been one of the best drafts of any team over the past decade.

Now we sit here 4 years later and Levitre is already gone and chances are Byrd won't be here past this season. That only leaves us Eric Wood left from that group and he has trouble staying healthy. Even if we do keep him that is one lousy guy from are only good set of draft picks in years. If we don't keep him then the draft becomes a total waste 4-5 years later.

jimmifli
07-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Even after failing miserably on the Maybin pick we still ended up with our best draft in a decade in 2009. Had we hit with the first pick then it may have been one of the best drafts of any team over the past decade.

Now we sit here 4 years later and Levitre is already gone and chances are Byrd won't be here past this season. That only leaves us Eric Wood left from that group and he has trouble staying healthy. Even if we do keep him that is one lousy guy from are only good set of draft picks in years. If we don't keep him then the draft becomes a total waste 4-5 years later.

Good players cost too much and aren't worth it.

Mace
07-12-2013, 11:20 PM

You have to admit though that it's kind of funny one of our best recent drafts is one of our worst again. Takes a lot of effort in the front office to pull that one off.

Meathead
07-13-2013, 06:59 PM
i still think something gets done before the 4PM monday deadline but i am bumping my worry meter up from 0.0% to 0.015%. it will now go up one ten-thousanth of a percentage every hour until monday at 3PM after which it goes up by ten-thousand percent per minute

feldspar
07-13-2013, 09:25 PM
You have to admit though that it's kind of funny one of our best recent drafts is one of our worst again. Takes a lot of effort in the front office to pull that one off.

The draft was still a very good one. Had we taken Brian Orakpo, like any imbecile thought we should, it would have been an off-the-charts draft. Whatever happened (or will happen) after that doesn't take away from the quality of the draft. Two quality starters in a draft is still good...we'll see what happens with Byrd and Wood.

SpikedLemonade
07-15-2013, 08:12 AM
How about now?

Mr. Miyagi
07-15-2013, 08:33 AM
No Byrd? Guess he'll be holding out?

better days
07-15-2013, 09:39 AM
No Byrd? Guess he'll be holding out?

I think this was expected by the Bills & the reason Safetys were drafted.

The question now becomes will Byrd miss the first 6 games or not. If he does not report by the first game, he will lose serious money he will never recoup.

GingerP
07-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Yes, he would have to play in 10 games to get credit for the year.

Per the CBA:

Section 2. Credited Season: For purposes of calculating Credited Seasons under this
Article only, a player shall earn one Credited Season for each season during which he was
on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of three or more regular season
games, but which, irrespective of the player'S pay status, shall not include games for
which this player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List; (ii) the Reserve
PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury; (iii) a Club's Practice or Developmental
Squad; or 􀄗v) a Club's Injured Reserve List.

He has to report for the final 6 weeks of the Year. A player earns a credited season for 3 games, but he has to report for the final 6 weeks because the team has the right to wait three weeks before activating him once he signs. Thus, to make sure he gets credit, he has to report after week 10.

GingerP
07-15-2013, 10:56 AM
If they miss the deadline, a trade is unlikely. A team wanting to talk to him would need the Bills permission. If granted, they would need to work out both acceptable terms on a contract with Byrd and trade terms with the Bills. Byrd has control over if/to whom he is traded, since he can't get traded unless he signs the tender. They Bills can't trade his rights, he must sign the tender first.

My guess is Byrd will hold out a little while to try and secure a franchise prohibition for next season. He then would report and play to hit unrestricted FA next year. The Bills aren't likely get give in on that, but may to get him to report. I can't see him holding out into the season, because he would be walking away from too much money. It really comes down to how much Byrd is willing to hold his ground. I can see it going into camp, but to miss game checks seems unlikely.

Meathead
07-15-2013, 12:03 PM
How about now?

currently at 0.032%

better days
07-15-2013, 12:28 PM
If they miss the deadline, a trade is unlikely. A team wanting to talk to him would need the Bills permission. If granted, they would need to work out both acceptable terms on a contract with Byrd and trade terms with the Bills. Byrd has control over if/to whom he is traded, since he can't get traded unless he signs the tender. They Bills can't trade his rights, he must sign the tender first.

My guess is Byrd will hold out a little while to try and secure a franchise prohibition for next season. He then would report and play to hit unrestricted FA next year. The Bills aren't likely get give in on that, but may to get him to report. I can't see him holding out into the season, because he would be walking away from too much money. It really comes down to how much Byrd is willing to hold his ground. I can see it going into camp, but to miss game checks seems unlikely.

Any team can sign Byrd without the Bills permission, but they would owe the Bills TWO FIRST RND picks.

GingerP
07-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Any team can sign Byrd without the Bills permission, but they would owe the Bills TWO FIRST RND picks.

No, that ship has sailed. The signing period is over.

Mr. Pink
07-15-2013, 01:22 PM
It wouldn't shock me if Byrd doesn't report til week 10.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-15-2013, 01:57 PM
It wouldn't shock me if Byrd doesn't report til week 10.

That's perfect. It will get us a higher 1st rounder to draft his replacement with.

Extremebillsfan247
07-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Yeah, it's bad news.

The Bills aren't big players in FA (with Mario Williams being the rare exception) because they are supposed to build through the draft. Well, most of the draft picks have been piss-poor. Levitre was one of the good ones and he's gone. Byrd is another good one and now it looks like he's got one foot out the door.

So, the team doesn't build through the draft because they either make bad picks or let guys walk after their rookie deals, and they're not players in FA. Where exactly is the talent supposed to come from? Do they expect to win by signing UDFA's and other teams' trash? Right now, that seems to be the plan.

I'm giving them a little bit of a pass because this is Marrone's first year and Whaley's first year of running the show, but if this team is ever going to win, the drafting better be a whole lot better (starting this year) and we better not let any more quality FA's walk.

Yeah, I do think its strange how this team consistently struggles to re-sign the draft picks that actually pan out once they become free agency eligible. I think it's one of the main factors of why this team struggles to win every year. We still lack that 1 player everyone outside of Buffalo gravitates to, and respects. Yeah, we have Spiller, and Stevie Johnson. But where is our Urlacher, Mathews, Polamalu, etc.? These players are just examples. If we landed any of those players through the draft, the Bills would probably struggle to keep them under contract too. It's something I guess I will never quite understand about this team.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-15-2013, 02:37 PM
if he waits until week 10 to come back, do we get compensation, and can the bills simply ignore him not allowing him to get the accredited season? I know that is extreme hardball, but hes the guy refusing the rules of the franchise tag....

better days
07-15-2013, 02:38 PM

What? Nix signed players well into training camp. As have other teams.

- - - Updated - - -

NOT THE DUDE...
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't care if we lose him, as long as this fo gets some type of decent compensation

Mike
07-15-2013, 02:56 PM
That's perfect. It will get us a higher 1st rounder to draft his replacement with.

Even if the Bills got a 1st rounder, chances are that player won't be nearly as good as Byrd and in the event he comes close the Bills will probably let him walk in 3-4yrs... So what's the point?

Mike
07-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Which basically means, no team will sign him without Bills permission. The two 1st rounders will not happen.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Even if the Bills got a 1st rounder, chances are that player won't be nearly as good as Byrd and in the event he comes close the Bills will probably let him walk in 3-4yrs... So what's the point?

woosh

better days
07-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Which basically means, no team will sign him without Bills permission. The two 1st rounders will not happen.

Agreed.

GingerP
07-15-2013, 03:33 PM

Those are street free agents. Non-Exclusive and Franchise players have the same signing period as restricted FA, per the CBA:

Section 13. Offer Sheets for Non-Exclusive Franchise and Transition Players: The
procedures and rules of Article 9, Section 3 shall apply to Non-Exclusive Franchise or
Transition Players

Article 9, Section 3 covers Restricted FA signings (Franchise players are covered in Article 10), as states:

(e) Signing Period. The dates of the period in which Restricted Free
Agents shall be free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club (the "Signing
Period") shall be agreed upon by the NFL and the NFLPA by the previous September 1,
but in no event may such Signing Period be less than thirty-five days, nor may it end
later than five days before the Draft for that League Year, unless the parties agree other*
W1se.

Thus, the Non-exclusive Franchise signing period ended 5 days before the draft.

Meathead
07-15-2013, 03:57 PM
currently at 1,100,000.043%

BillsFever21
07-15-2013, 05:52 PM
We rarely keep our own few good players we draft and any good FA's we severely overpay for just to attain them like we did with Mario Williams. Your average or below average starters or backup level players love Buffalo. They all flock to Buffalo because the Bills would rather pay two average players 4-5 million a year instead of one good player 10 million a year.

If you're an average at best player then Buffalo is probably the first place you try and seek out. You most likely get more money then you would from any other team along with guaranteed playing time and/or starting job which you wouldn't have received from a good team. You end up with the best of both worlds.

Now if you're an average player drafted by the Bills you couldn't be much more thrilled by it. There is a good chance when your rookie contract is up they will re-sign you once OR twice during your career. By the other examples it's also for more money then many guys better then you received from other teams.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-15-2013, 05:57 PM
on billsdaily it says byrd will play the year on the 1 year franchise tag. true?

GingerP
07-16-2013, 06:28 AM
on billsdaily it says byrd will play the year on the 1 year franchise tag. true?

Once he signs the tender. He is likely to withhold his services in hopes the Bills tack on a Franchise prohibition for next year. The Bills are probably reluctant to do so because it gives up their leverage next year, but may be willing if they think the tag for next year would be too expensive ($8.25M) and they want to get him into camp to learn the system. If he gets a franchise prohibition in his contract, he can play out the year and is guaranteed to hit free agency in 2014.

It it difficult to imagine him holding out into the season. Even if the stalemate continues, he likely signs in late August. He'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if he misses games.

JATMtheJATM
07-19-2013, 08:39 AM
s

- - - Updated - - -

s

jdaltroy5
07-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Once he signs the tender. He is likely to withhold his services in hopes the Bills tack on a Franchise prohibition for next year. The Bills are probably reluctant to do so because it gives up their leverage next year, but may be willing if they think the tag for next year would be too expensive ($8.25M) and they want to get him into camp to learn the system. If he gets a franchise prohibition in his contract, he can play out the year and is guaranteed to hit free agency in 2014.

It it difficult to imagine him holding out into the season. Even if the stalemate continues, he likely signs in late August. He'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if he misses games.
The Bills better not tack on a Franchise prohibition for next year.

We aren't going to be contending this year, so having him play one year and then leave for nothing makes zero sense.

I'd rather him sit out, tag him again and then trade him at the end of the season.

better days
07-19-2013, 09:04 AM

The Bills should trade him now or next year. It would be STUPID to cave in & remove the threat of the tag next year to get him on the field opening day unless everyone thinks the Bills have a shot at the Super Bowl this year with Byrd on the field for the team from the first game.