PDA

View Full Version : Gerbe waived

gebobs
07-03-2013, 11:29 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/7/3/4490462/nathan-gerbe-buyout-sabres-free-agency-2013

The Buffalo Sabres have placed forward Nathan Gerbe on unconditional waivers with the intention of administering a compliance buyout, according to Bob McKenzie of TSN on Wednesday afternoon.

Gerbe was scheduled to enter the final-year of a three-year, $4.35 million contract that carried an annual average value of $1.45 million against the salary cap. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, teams are permitted two compliance buyouts that remove a player's salary from their salary cap allotment without penalty. This option was created due to the declining nature of the salary cap for the 2013-14 season, as well as a way to adjust to new contractual rules in the collective bargaining agreement that eliminated front- or back-loaded contracts.

Buffalo presently has $13.7 million in cap space with Gerbe on the roster, according to CapGeek.com. By administering a compliance buyout, the club will add $1.45 million to that total.

Gerbe was scheduled to become a restricted free agent next season. He will now become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

sukie
07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Gerbe was scheduled to become a restricted free agent next season. He will now become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Or a jockey.

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 11:47 AM
um..... I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not a huge Gerbe fan and I've been critical of his size ever since he came into the league (don't make me bump all those threads and do the "I told you so" thing). But he only counted $1.45 million against the cap and we have $13.7 million in cap space so it's not like we're tight- that's peanuts by NHL standards. He must have really pissed off Rolston and/or DR to get bought out when his cap hit isn't a problem at all.

gebobs
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Under the new collective bargaining agreement, teams are permitted two compliance buyouts that remove a player's salary from their salary cap allotment without penalty.

There are others here that might help me out with this. Why Gerbe? Why not use it for real dead weight like Leino and Stafford?

I like Gerbe. He's a hard worker. I was never convinced his NCAA success would translate to the NHL though. Far too small and not enough speed to compensate for it. Here's hoping he banked his cash. It's not likely he'll ever see a salary like that again. Heck, he might have played his last NHL game.

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
There are others here that might help me out with this. Why Gerbe? Why not use it for real dead weight like Leino and Stafford?

I like Gerbe. He's a hard worker. I was never convinced his NCAA success would translate to the NHL though. Far too small and not enough speed to compensate for it. Here's hoping he banked his cash. It's not likely he'll ever see a salary like that again. Heck, he might have played his last NHL game.

I think Reiger already said he's not going to buy out Leino. I'm not sure why, because the only justification for it I can see is that they are worried about not hitting the salary min.

If Stafford is still on the roster when the season starts, then Reiger is not doing his job. He has to be bought out or traded. The only reason for not buying him out would be a potential trading partner. It was rumored that a trade for Stafford fell through at the deadline, so if Reiger can get something for Stafford and not have to pay the cash for the buyout, then I don't blame him. But one way or the other, he truly is dead weight and represents what this team needs to change before they can succeed.

DetDannyWilliams
07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
it's to resign CoHo he's a RFA

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
it's to resign CoHo he's a RFA

I still don't get it. We had $13.7 million in cap space with Gerbe on the roster. $1.45 million is not going to be the difference in resigning CoHo or not.

gebobs
07-03-2013, 12:09 PM
I still don't get it. We had $13.7 million in cap space with Gerbe on the roster. $1.45 million is not going to be the difference in resigning CoHo or not.

What will it take to sign Hodgson? $5M?

Typ0
07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Must have decided he wasn't good enough to be on the team next year....

Historian
07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Too easily hurt, IMO.

SkateZilla
07-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Why Buy out Gerbs 1.5 Mill and keep Leino's 4.5 Mill?

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 12:36 PM
What will it take to sign Hodgson? $5M?

Good question- 5 seems a little high given how little he's proven, but that seems to be about what players of his caliber make.

Even if it's 5, that leaves us with over $10 million in cap and we would have been over $8 million even with Gerbe. That would have been plenty to be players in FA.

Jan Reimers
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Gerbe is an exciting little guy who works hard, but he has had two disappointing seasons in a row. I think his size is a detriment, and he has had back problems.

I think we're going for more size and strength.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a buyout for Leino, too, which would give us enough total cap room to sign some really good players (although Darcy says we're not going to make a big splash in free agency).

PTI
07-03-2013, 02:33 PM
I'd have cut ties with Leino, but he did play halfway decent with him.

They were 3-2-3 with him

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 02:41 PM
I'd have cut ties with Leino, but he did play halfway decent with him.

They were 3-2-3 with him

Getting 9 of a possible 16 points with him does not justify his salary.

Downinfloflo
07-03-2013, 02:49 PM
It's just a regular buyout.

He will count against the cap.Sabres will still have their 2 buy out's to use in the future.

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 02:53 PM
It's just a regular buyout.

He will count against the cap.Sabres will still have their 2 buy out's to use in the future.

Oh.

Translation: he sucks bad enough that the Sabres would rather pay him to NOT play.

I didn't think he was THAT bad, but meh. No big loss (no pun intended).

Downinfloflo
07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Oh.

Translation: he sucks bad enough that the Sabres would rather pay him to NOT play.

I didn't think he was THAT bad, but meh. No big loss (no pun intended).

That...and he was to short to get a job in the equipment room.

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2013, 03:20 PM
...and Regeir JUST said that there will be no buyouts.

another lie

OpIv37
07-03-2013, 03:35 PM

another lie

He'll probably spin it and say he was only talking about compliance buy-outs.

But now you guys know why I'm always skeptical of what GM's say to the media.

WagonCircler
07-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Maybe it's not money, but roster spots. Could be that he's being replaced by another small guy who used to wear #48 here.

snow1989
07-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Maybe it's not money, but roster spots. Could be that he's being replaced by another small guy who used to wear #48 here.

Now there you may have touched on something besides his general lack of size...roster spot....if Regier/Rolston plan on bringing 1 or 2 FA's or promoting up from the system then maybe they felt there was no justification in trying to clear waivers to send him down to the farm. I liked Gerbe...hard worker, but the simple fact is he's just too small and not fast enough to compensate for it...I wish him luck.

Meathead
07-03-2013, 10:07 PM
take care mighty mite. we'll always have this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4nglKEv-jEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mouldsie
07-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Odd move. Team lacks talent, has tons of cap space, he only had a year left, and is more useful than some of our dead weight..... and when we move Vanek and Miller the cap space will be stupid high

- - - Updated - - -

take care mighty mite. we'll always have this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4nglKEv-jEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
My best memory will be when he single handedly beat Montreal that year

SabreEleven
07-04-2013, 08:03 AM

another lie

No, Regier said there would be no amnesty buy outs...this is a regular buy out...Although I liked Gerbe because he had speed and hustled, other players have the same speed and hustle, they just don't play for the Buffalo Sabres. His size was a huge detriment in today's NHL.

SkateZilla
07-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Something may have happened with Gerbe..

IIRC he was having Back and Neck Problems after being Boarded head first into the Boards the last time, after coming back from being boarding head first before...

Skooby
07-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Something may have happened with Gerbe..

IIRC he was having Back and Neck Problems after being Boarded head first into the Boards the last time, after coming back from being boarding head first before...

This explains it.

PTI
07-05-2013, 11:22 AM
We got Matt Ellis on a 2 way contract for 2 more years!!!