• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gebobs
    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
    • Sep 2003

Gerbe waived

Nathan Gerbe was scheduled to become a restricted free agent next summer. With news of the Sabres intentions to buy him out, he will become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

The Buffalo Sabres have placed forward Nathan Gerbe on unconditional waivers with the intention of administering a compliance buyout, according to Bob McKenzie of TSN on Wednesday afternoon.

Gerbe was scheduled to enter the final-year of a three-year, $4.35 million contract that carried an annual average value of $1.45 million against the salary cap. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, teams are permitted two compliance buyouts that remove a player's salary from their salary cap allotment without penalty. This option was created due to the declining nature of the salary cap for the 2013-14 season, as well as a way to adjust to new contractual rules in the collective bargaining agreement that eliminated front- or back-loaded contracts.

Buffalo presently has $13.7 million in cap space with Gerbe on the roster, according to CapGeek.com. By administering a compliance buyout, the club will add $1.45 million to that total.

Gerbe was scheduled to become a restricted free agent next season. He will now become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
    Last edited by gebobs; 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.
  • sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

Re: Gerbe waived

Gerbe was scheduled to become a restricted free agent next season. He will now become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
    Or a jockey.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

um..... I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not a huge Gerbe fan and I've been critical of his size ever since he came into the league (don't make me bump all those threads and do the "I told you so" thing). But he only counted $1.45 million against the cap and we have $13.7 million in cap space so it's not like we're tight- that's peanuts by NHL standards. He must have really pissed off Rolston and/or DR to get bought out when his cap hit isn't a problem at all.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gebobs
        • Sep 2003

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, teams are permitted two compliance buyouts that remove a player's salary from their salary cap allotment without penalty.
        There are others here that might help me out with this. Why Gerbe? Why not use it for real dead weight like Leino and Stafford?

I like Gerbe. He's a hard worker. I was never convinced his NCAA success would translate to the NHL though. Far too small and not enough speed to compensate for it. Here's hoping he banked his cash. It's not likely he'll ever see a salary like that again. Heck, he might have played his last NHL game.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
          There are others here that might help me out with this. Why Gerbe? Why not use it for real dead weight like Leino and Stafford?

I like Gerbe. He's a hard worker. I was never convinced his NCAA success would translate to the NHL though. Far too small and not enough speed to compensate for it. Here's hoping he banked his cash. It's not likely he'll ever see a salary like that again. Heck, he might have played his last NHL game.
          I think Reiger already said he's not going to buy out Leino. I'm not sure why, because the only justification for it I can see is that they are worried about not hitting the salary min.

If Stafford is still on the roster when the season starts, then Reiger is not doing his job. He has to be bought out or traded. The only reason for not buying him out would be a potential trading partner. It was rumored that a trade for Stafford fell through at the deadline, so if Reiger can get something for Stafford and not have to pay the cash for the buyout, then I don't blame him. But one way or the other, he truly is dead weight and represents what this team needs to change before they can succeed.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
            Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
            • Feb 2013

it's to resign CoHo he's a RFA

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
              it's to resign CoHo he's a RFA
              I still don't get it. We had $13.7 million in cap space with Gerbe on the roster. $1.45 million is not going to be the difference in resigning CoHo or not.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gebobs
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                I still don't get it. We had $13.7 million in cap space with Gerbe on the roster. $1.45 million is not going to be the difference in resigning CoHo or not.
                What will it take to sign Hodgson? $5M?

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Must have decided he wasn't good enough to be on the team next year....

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

Too easily hurt, IMO.

Comment

• SkateZilla
                      • Dec 2002

Why Buy out Gerbs 1.5 Mill and keep Leino's 4.5 Mill?
                      Skate Zilla
                      -----------------------
                      Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                      SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                        What will it take to sign Hodgson? $5M?
                        Good question- 5 seems a little high given how little he's proven, but that seems to be about what players of his caliber make.

Even if it's 5, that leaves us with over $10 million in cap and we would have been over $8 million even with Gerbe. That would have been plenty to be players in FA.
                        Last edited by OpIv37; 07-03-2013, 12:41 PM.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Gerbe is an exciting little guy who works hard, but he has had two disappointing seasons in a row. I think his size is a detriment, and he has had back problems.

I think we're going for more size and strength.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a buyout for Leino, too, which would give us enough total cap room to sign some really good players (although Darcy says we're not going to make a big splash in free agency).
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• PTI
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2011

I'd have cut ties with Leino, but he did play halfway decent with him.

They were 3-2-3 with him

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by PTI View Post
                              I'd have cut ties with Leino, but he did play halfway decent with him.

They were 3-2-3 with him
                              Getting 9 of a possible 16 points with him does not justify his salary.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X