• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Byrd wants to be top paid Safety

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills39m
    This would put it north of $9.125M per yr. RT @adambenigni: Source: #Bills Byrd demanding to be highest paid safety in NFL. Told Bills...
    Oh good, thanks to these demands we probably can get a couple of third round picks for him.

Yay.

Byrd's very good, but he's not Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu (in their prime), he can't single handed change the tide of a game. Bills wanted to make him a top 4 or 5paid safety and that's right where he is.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Byrd wants to be top paid Safety

Ugh....soab. I love Byrd, but thats too much.

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

agreed

if the bills are offering in the 7 mil and up range, hes crazy to play the season without taking that deal. hes just asking for the same kind of injury that just cost two other big name guys at least half their paycheck last season and who knows if they will ever get paid like that again
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

That sucks.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Well the Bills have certainly laid the groundwork to deal him for peanuts and get praised for it by this board, that's for sure.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• GingerP
            • Aug 2012

The spin is starting. Average value is a poor indicator of contract value. It is how much he is receiving in the first few years that matters. He is probably asking for more early on than the Bills want to pay him. He is likely to play on the 1-year deal now, and the question becomes whether the Bills give him a franchise prohibition for next year to get him to show up for camp. Otherwise, I don't see him showing until late August.

I find it questionable the Bills are hesitant to pay Byrd when Mario Williams has a $10.6M roster bonus (guaranteed) and $18.4M cap number coming next year. Why pay one and not the other? Makes no sense.

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

I guess we hope Aaron Williams turns out to be a terrific safety. It's not impossible.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• jimmifli
                • Nov 2006

Top paid players are only top paid for one season. Then next season other players that aren't as good pass them. By the 3rd or 4th year they are priced fair or even bargains.

Saying Byrd doesn't change games is silly. His interceptions won couple of games last season. He's absolutely worth being made the highest paid free safety in the NFL, which doesn't mean he's the best safety in the NFL. It just means he's the best free agent safety in the NFL this season.

Comment

• jimmifli
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                  I guess we hope Aaron Williams turns out to be a terrific safety. It's not impossible.
                  Chris Kelsay becoming a good LB wasn't impossible either. It's pretty comparable. 2nd round draft pick struggles at his position, is moved to a new position he's never played in a scheme he's never played and expected to perform better than he did playing his familiar position in a familiar scheme.

So, how long until Aaron Williams get a 6 year $38 million dollar contract?

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Even if the team wanted to pay him that much, do we have the cap space?
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      Yes. One of the positives of constantly dumping vets is that the Bills roster is fairly cheap at a lot of positions.

Comment

• GingerP
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        Yes. The Bills currently have $18,665,064 in cap space, per the NFLPA. That is the 5th most space in the NFL.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                          Yes. The Bills currently have $18,665,064 in cap space, per the NFLPA. That is the 5th most space in the NFL.
                          And if I'm not mistaken, that already accounts for Byrd's franchise tag #.

Comment

• GingerP
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            And if I'm not mistaken, that already accounts for Byrd's franchise tag #.
                            Yes, it does.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Of course he wants to be the top paid safety in the NFL.

This is what happens every SINGLE YEAR when a guy who's near the top of his position finishes a contract year.

And he damn well knows that if he hit the open market, he would have been the top paid safety in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X