PDA

View Full Version : Bills coach has a voice that carries

MidnightVoice
07-16-2013, 07:44 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130713/SPORTS/130719545/1004

A penchant for piping up is something everybody seems to recall when they talk about working with Doug Marrone. They remember it mostly with fondness … and maybe a bit of exasperation.

Says his college coach, Syracuse University legend Dick MacPherson: “If we were doing things and he didn’t think they made sense, he’d let you know.”

Says his former Syracuse linemate Bob Brotzki: “He was never afraid to express his opinion.”

Says one of his first pro coaches, Larry Kennan: “I was there with the Raiders when we drafted him, and in the first conversation with him, he told us about a couple guys we should sign as free agents right after the draft. I hadn’t had any draft choice do that before.”

Says Paul Hackett, who worked with Marrone on the New York Jets staff a decade ago: “The thing that was great about Doug is it was always: ‘How come you’re doing that? How come we’re doing this? Couldn’t we do this a little bit better?’ ”

“All Doug has ever wanted to do is be the best he can be, and he has never been afraid to push the envelope to do it,” Hackett said............

justasportsfan
07-16-2013, 09:44 AM
that was an awesome read. While people like to think a player is a savior, I like to think it starts with the head coach. People like to give talent so much credit when they succeed or fail. Then you look at what happened to our defense last year. While it wasn't the most talented D assembled, it shouldn't have failed with franchise nos. and regressed badly compared to the year before. Wanny was a good DC way back then, but they game has evolved so much that playing conservatively or playing not to lose get's you killed when offenses have changed.

better days
07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
I was not impressed with the Marrone hire. The HC of a MEDIOCRE Syracuse team. That was all I knew of him. I must say the more I learn about him, the more I like the hire.

TigerJ
07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
It would be hard not to root for the guy after reading that. It sounds like the prefect recipe for a head coach, with some bonuses besides. Among the bonuses: he's made a bunch of connections during his sojourn to become an NFL head coach, connections that can help in recruiting, draft evaluations and in other areas. Obviously, his ultimate success in Buffalo depends on winning, but assuming he can build a winning program, he will make Buffalo a prefered destination for free agents who take pride in winning and doing it the right way.

imbondz
07-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Ok let me pretend for a second we found Marv Levy II. Aaaaand done.

No judgment of Marrone will stick until we see him coach during the season. But so far I like him.

Meathead
07-16-2013, 09:45 PM
any new coach hire especially the young ones are like first round draft picks, they can either hit or whiff. will marrone be a cj spiller or an aaron maybin, a marv levy or a manboobs williams

DynaPaul
07-20-2013, 07:00 PM
He stresses accountability which is something we haven't had in a very long time.