PDA

View Full Version : Sapp to Byrd: 'Go earn' contract

MidnightVoice
07-16-2013, 03:47 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218034/article/warren-sapp-to-jairus-byrd-go-earn-bills-contract

Reportedly looking to be the highest-paid safety in the NFL, Jairus Byrd failed to agree on a long-term contract with the Buffalo Bills on Monday, which might lead to ongoing contract haggling.

Soon-to-be Hall of Fame defensive tackle and NFL Network analyst Warren Sapp said on Monday's "NFL Total Access" that Byrd should stop quibbling and just go play.

"It's about what the team deems you worthy of being paid," Sapp said. "Sign your tender, go back to work and earn it like your rookie year when you came into the league and you went to the Pro Bowl. That's what you do. Whenever somebody questions your play on the football field, you go out on the football field and you show it."

Sapp said because the Bills didn't pony up the dough, Byrd must not have done enough to earn it.

"I question him because you've been there the whole time with Buffalo, and if Buffalo doesn't see you as an asset as far as their franchise player and the guy they want to put as their safety, (that says something)," Sapp continued.

Mr. Miyagi
07-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Warren Sapp may not always say things you want to hear and is most of the time very brash, but he always calls it the way he sess it without sugar coating.

Love it.

Are you listening Byrd?

Skooby
07-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Nobody earned their money on our defense last season, so asking for more than anyone now at any position on our defense is madness.

Meathead
07-16-2013, 04:14 PM
well hes said so many dumb things its hard to just agree with him now, even tho i want to

still think byrd is crazy not to take the bills offer that had to be in the 7.5+ range. hes rolling the dice for a relatively small rate or return. its a helluva lot more likely something happens to decrease his value rather than increase it. but good luck to him

Skooby
07-16-2013, 04:49 PM
well hes said so many dumb things its hard to just agree with him now, even tho i want to

still think byrd is crazy not to take the bills offer that had to be in the 7.5+ range. hes rolling the dice for a relatively small rate or return. its a helluva lot more likely something happens to decrease his value rather than increase it. but good luck to him
Personally speaking, I hope Byrd hits it out the park this season & we pay him everything he wants. He can make the Bills more successful being out there, just show up for camp early & be very eager to learn.

Night Train
07-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Byrd should stop quibbling and just go play

:bf1:

Mr. Pink
07-16-2013, 07:00 PM
He already earned it and instead of us paying him, we lowballed him.

Dashon Goldson got a 5 year 41.25m contract with 22m guaranteed.

And people are saying that Byrd should be paid less than that?

better days
07-16-2013, 07:57 PM

And people are saying that Byrd should be paid less than that?

There is no way in HELL Byrd earned $9 Mill last season. His stats were amplified because nobody in front of him made a play. But he is NOT a $9 Mill Safety!

Mr. Pink
07-16-2013, 08:01 PM
There is no way in HELL Byrd earned $9 Mill last season. His stats were amplified because nobody in front of him made a play. But he is NOT a $9 Mill Safety!

People around here are saying he's not even an 8m Safety.

Yet Goldson is?

BertSquirtgum
07-16-2013, 08:24 PM
People around here are saying he's not even an 8m Safety.

Yet Goldson is?

Maybe you forgot how good San Fran's defense was. Byrd didn't do **** to make this defense look any better. He most certainly doesn't deserve a penny more than 8 million a year. Personally, I don't think he's worth more than 6 million a year. That's how overrated I think he is.

GingerP
07-16-2013, 09:34 PM
In the last 4 years Byrd is responsible for 25% of the teams interceptions (18/71) and 28% of the teams forced fumbles (10/36). That is remarkable. How many players have had that kind of impact on their team?

You can talk all you want about how bad the defense has been, but they would have been a lot worse if you took away 25% plus of their turnovers. Byrd's impact is easy to measure.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Maybe you forgot how good San Fran's defense was.

Perhaps you forgot who else was on it? Goldson was - charitably - the 5th best player on that unit.

BillsFever21
07-16-2013, 10:34 PM
I would think that Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Navarro Bowman, Justin Smith and even Whitner to an extent along with others would help play a big part in their defensive success. Not to mention a good coaching staff.

On the flipside at them same positions we had Nick Barnett, Chris Kelsay, Kelvin Sheppard, Mario Williams and George Wilson. Last time I checked one of them is still on the team this year.

Yeah I would say that's a pretty fair comparison to use for Byrd. For him to make the plays he did with all these scrubs around him his actually quite remarkable. I mean he only contributed to 25% or more of all the turnovers on this team. You could put Patrick Willis on this team and he wouldn't have made this defense good with all the other junk surrounding him and the inept coaching staff.

BillsFever21
07-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Green Bay's defense was 22nd in points allowed last season. Damn the Packers were insane to give Clay Matthews all of that money. What the hell were they thinking? He wasn't good enough to make their defense any better then that.

BertSquirtgum
07-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Perhaps you forgot who else was on it? Goldson was - charitably - the 5th best player on that unit.

So does that change the fact that he played for one of the best defenses in the league? Which he contributed to, which is why he got paid top 5 money.

BertSquirtgum
07-16-2013, 11:08 PM
You guys are overrating Byrd like we do with many Bills players. He's not good enough to be the highest paid safety in the league. Byrd hasn't been very dominant like he was his first two years in the league. He's been average.

Mr. Pink
07-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Byrd is a better player than Goldson.

And no one would ever accuse me of overrating any Bills players. :rofl:

Yasgur's Farm
07-17-2013, 06:20 AM

And people are saying that Byrd should be paid less than that?This is EXACTLY the reason why he shouldn't be paid too much more than the Bills have already offered (BTW... $7.5M is not lowballing). Your reference of Goldson getting paid makes the point of why not to overpay... Next it will be Woods... And Carrington... etc.

better days
07-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Byrd is a better player than Goldson.

And no one would ever accuse me of overrating any Bills players. :rofl:

Goldson is a Pro Bowl player & had a career year last year & helped the 49ers to get to the Super Bowl after being tagged last year.

I

IlluminatusUIUC
07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
So does that change the fact that he played for one of the best defenses in the league? Which he contributed to, which is why he got paid top 5 money.

"Contributed to." Ricky-Jean Francois "contributed" to that defense too. It was loaded with all-stars. Did you even know Goldson's name before Harbaugh took that team over? Byrd played as well as Goldson last year with 1/10th the help.

Night Train
07-17-2013, 09:10 AM
In the last 4 years Byrd is responsible for 25% of the teams interceptions (18/71) and 28% of the teams forced fumbles (10/36). That is remarkable. How many players have had that kind of impact on their team?

Players on teams that actually had winning records, I'm guessing.

Uncle Jesse
07-17-2013, 09:15 AM
I don't think anyone from the defense last year showed anything worthy of paying top money to. It was embarassing.

jdaltroy5
07-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Byrd has ALREADY earned his contract.

jdaltroy5
07-17-2013, 09:55 AM
You guys are overrating Byrd like we do with many Bills players. He's not good enough to be the highest paid safety in the league. Byrd hasn't been very dominant like he was his first two years in the league. He's been average.
Average?

What are you even watching?

He was 7th of all DBs and 2nd in FSs for interceptions. Not to mention he had the 3rd most FF of all defenders in the league.

The guy made plays that directly led to 3 of our wins. And that number would've been higher had we been able to put teams down.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Byrd has ALREADY earned his contract.

I know, right? Do a thought experiment with me. Let's flip the situations between Byrd and Spiller. Now Spiller is the one who's had two so-so seasons and two elite ones and is a UFA, while Byrd is under contract for 3 more years. Can you imagine the topics here?

"It's a passing league now."
"Our offense only had one finish above average, and that was when Jackson started half the games."
"[Tashard Choice/Random 5th rounder] can easily pick up the slack."
"Marrone's scheme doesn't need a franchise halfback."
"He's not as good as Adrian Peterson or Jamaal Charles, he shouldn't be paid like them."

on and on. The Homer Goggles! They do nothing!

Novacane
07-17-2013, 11:53 AM
I know, right? Do a thought experiment with me. Let's flip the situations between Byrd and Spiller. Now Spiller is the one who's had two so-so seasons and two elite ones and is a UFA, while Byrd is under contract for 3 more years. Can you imagine the topics here?

"It's a passing league now."
"Our offense only had one finish above average, and that was when Jackson started half the games."
"[Tashard Choice/Random 5th rounder] can easily pick up the slack."
"Marrone's scheme doesn't need a franchise halfback."
"He's not as good as Adrian Peterson or Jamaal Charles, he shouldn't be paid like them."

on and on. The Homer Goggles! They do nothing!

I doubt you'd hear that. Spiller is a game changer. I just don't see Byrd as that.

jdaltroy5
07-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I doubt you'd hear that. Spiller is a game changer. I just don't see Byrd as that.

Byrd's turnovers literally changed the outcome of 3 of our games. It could've been more too had we had an offense that could put another team down.

stuckincincy
07-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Average?

He was 7th of all DBs and 2nd in FSs for interceptions. Not to mention he had the 3rd most FF of all defenders in the league.

The guy made plays that directly led to 3 of our wins. And that number would've been higher had we been able to put teams down.

He's like the teasing barmaid in a crappy bar with lousy atmosphere and service. Things never change, but the fancy dame keeps 'em coming back.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-17-2013, 12:13 PM

What games did he change?

Mike
07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Many of you homers would not know the differences between:

Dan Marino and JP Lossman

I swear to god men, you have lost your mind.....

You want to sign players like Carrington(sp?) because of their potential and blame their lack of production on coaches & other players while at the same time not wanting to sign an All Star Player who under the same exact circumstances became one of the best in the league!

You my friends are both immeasurably cheap and gullible.

Keep paying your Kelsey's and arguing amongst yourself on how the rest of the NFL picks on you & how good the Bills really are (9-7? some predict)

Are you insane???
Same old BS
Same old Billls
Same old 2-6 win record

* For his sake hope Byrd goes to a winner and gets all the $$$ he so rightly deserves.

jdaltroy5
07-17-2013, 01:03 PM

You want to sign players like Carrington(sp?) because of their potential and blame their lack of production on coaches & other players while at the same time not wanting to sign an All Star Player who under the same exact circumstances became one of the best in the league!

Keep paying your Kelsey's and arguing amongst yourself on how the rest of the NFL picks on you & how good the Bills really are (9-7? some predict)

Are you insane???
Same old BS
Same old Billls
Same old 2-6 win record

* For his sake hope Byrd goes to a winner and gets all the $$$ he so rightly deserves.

This is what drives me nuts.

We could sign him to a 9.5 million a year contract and STILL be about 15 million UNDER the cap this year.

Hell we could've signed both him AND Levitre and been OK.

Instead we get excuses like "he's not as good as Polamalu", "he only deserves 8.75 milllion a year, trade his ass for asking for 9.35 million", or "Mike Pettine doesn't need an elite safety."

better days
07-17-2013, 01:09 PM

We could sign him to a 9.5 million a year contract and STILL be about 15 million UNDER the cap this year.

Instead we get excuses like "he's not as good as Polamalu", "he only deserves 8.75 milllion a year, trade his ass for asking for 9.35 million", or "Mike Pettine doesn't need an elite safety."

Well, you can feel free to boycott the Bills and/or this board if you like.

The ball is in Byrds court now. Nothing anybody says can change anything.

jdaltroy5
07-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Well, you can feel free to boycott the Bills and/or this board if you like.

The ball is in Byrds court now. Nothing anybody says can change anything.

If they keep letting pro bowlers walk out the door while being 18 million under the cap, then I won't be renewing my season tickets.

Mike
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
I won't spend a penny on this team until they put together a winning team

BertSquirtgum
07-17-2013, 08:06 PM
I won't spend a penny on this team until they put together a winning team

No one cares idiot.

GingerP
07-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Players on teams that actually had winning records, I'm guessing.

That doesn't really hold weight in a team sport. Even bad teams can have some good players. The Bears of the late '60's had 2 of the greatest players in NFL history (Dick Butkus and Gayle Sayers), and were terrible. Kansas City was terrible last year and had 6 Pro Bowlers.

Byrd isn't responsible for the whole team. He isn't the reason Ryan Fitzpatrick threw all those interceptions or for crappy LB play. What he is responsible for is generating a bunch of turnovers. In fact, very few players have generated turnovers at the rate he has over the last 4 years. He is an instinctual player with a nose for the football.

Mr Bills
07-17-2013, 09:18 PM
The Bills can cut Stevie Johnson tomorrow, and the gullible homers will still support the move. Don't worry, reality will set in for these homers when Tom Brady picks this secondary completely apart with the likes of Donald Jones, Mike Jenkins, and Jake Ballard.

Mr Bills
07-17-2013, 09:22 PM
That doesn't really hold weight in a team sport. Even bad teams can have some good players. The Bears of the late '60's had 2 of the greatest players in NFL history (Dick Butkus and Gayle Sayers), and were terrible. Kansas City was terrible last year and had 6 Pro Bowlers.

Byrd isn't responsible for the whole team. He isn't the reason Ryan Fitzpatrick threw all those interceptions or for crappy LB play. What he is responsible for is generating a bunch of turnovers. In fact, very few players have generated turnovers at the rate he has over the last 4 years. He is an instinctual player with a nose for the football.

Lol don't worry about him, last year this time he probably thought Ryan Fitzmagic was still a franchise caliber QB.

Mr. Pink
07-17-2013, 10:58 PM

8.75? There's people on this board that don't think he's even worth 7.

It's ridiculous.

Meanwhile the argument about why is just as ridiculous.

Why should we bother keeping Spiller or Stevie? Our offense is a joke with them and can be a joke without them.

kishoph
07-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Average?

Stats, Of the 21 times Bryd was thrown at last season, he allowed 16 receptions, which equated to a catch percentage of 76.2, the sixth-highest catch percentage of all safeties who played at least 25 percent of their team's snaps. Some will try to argue that teams are afraid to throw in Byrds direction, which I doubt, especially when his catch percentage against is 76%. I think it's more likely that teams didn't need to throw the ball deep often against the Bills. I think the Bills offering to make Byrd one of the top paid players at his position is more than fair, I also think think that Byrd wanting to be the top paid player at his position is totally ridiculous.

GingerP
07-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Stats, Of the 21 times Bryd was thrown at last season, he allowed 16 receptions, which equated to a catch percentage of 76.2, the sixth-highest catch percentage of all safeties who played at least 25 percent of their team's snaps. Some will try to argue that teams are afraid to throw in Byrds direction, which I doubt, especially when his catch percentage against is 76%. I think it's more likely that teams didn't need to throw the ball deep often against the Bills. I think the Bills offering to make Byrd one of the top paid players at his position is more than fair, I also think think that Byrd wanting to be the top paid player at his position is totally ridiculous.

According to Pro Football Focus, Byrd allowed a passer rating of just 56.9 on the season. He was targeted 21 times in coverage, but only allowed 156 yards (9.8 yards per reception), and didn't give up a single touchdown.

PFF ranked Byrd the 25th best player in the NFL for 2013:

Is there a better deep safety in the league than Byrd right now? A legitimate playmaker that quarterbacks have to be mindful of on every down, Byrd comfortably finished the year our top ranked cover safety. Now, the way he’s used may not make him the most complete safety out there, but he’s so good at what he does you can’t help but appreciate the Bills’ franchise player.

Best Performance: Week 11 vs Miami, +5.3

Key Stat: Intercepted five passes and wasn’t beaten for a touchdown all year.

In 2012, PFF ranked him the #72 player in the NFL:

This was the year where Byrd established himself as one of the league’s top safeties, with a season that earned him our third-highest grade of all his peers (+13.0). He broke up seven passes to go with his three interceptions, while only allowing 51.5% of passes into coverage to be completed. What’s more, for a player who spends most of his time playing deep (84.1% of all snaps), he notched up 35 tackles in run defense, good for 16th of all safeties. He’s a rare beast; a free safety who is active on every play.

Best Performance: Week 16 versus Denver (+3.3)

Key Stat: Missed one tackle for every 14.3 attempts; eighth-best of all safeties.

Byrd is a good player. I'm not sure how you watch him and think otherwise.

jdaltroy5
07-18-2013, 08:44 AM

So he gave up one catch per game?

Can you compare that to other FS in the league?

And the notion that teams didn't need to throw the ball deep is ridiculous. This is the NFL.

"No thanks guys, we don't need to score a bunch of points quickly. That's not very nice."

If a guy is open deep, he's getting the ball. OCs watch the all 22s and try to exploit any and all weaknesses.

Novacane
07-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Are you insane???
Same old BS
Same old Billls
Same old 2-6 win record

What a stupid post!