Will Our OL be Better or Worse Than Last Year? Top Half or Bottom Half of NFL OLs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Will Our OL be Better or Worse Than Last Year? Top Half or Bottom Half of NFL OLs?

Perhaps the optimistic among us can spell out their views of our OL.

My sense of it is that despite last year's offensive scheme flaws, the quick release emphasis made the OL look better than it actually was.

This year we are going to a quick tempo which will require our OL to at the very least be in better physical condition.

The new QB and WRs are exciting but if our OL is not a strength....
  • jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

Re: Will Our OL be Better or Worse Than Last Year? Top Half or Bottom Half of NFL OL

Worse.

Our Oline couldn't get tough yards. The sack numbers were scheme and QB. Our run game was based on running from the spread which is fine, but it wasn't successful because our OL beat their DL.

We also lost our best lineman. Now we have a rookie QB and a guy that makes Rob Johnson look like he had pocket awareness.

Lets hope CJ can run behind Glenn and Wood, because after that... he'll be doing it all himself.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
      • Sep 2003

Re: Will Our OL be Better or Worse Than Last Year? Top Half or Bottom Half of NFL OL

No, we lost our second best lineman. Our best lineman is still starting at center.
      "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
        • Sep 2004

Our open guard spot is just a glaring hole. I just don't see how we'll be better. Isn't Colin Brown starting at LG at this point or is it Doug Legursky? RT is maybe Pears?

Then you have to worry about Wood staying haelthy, something he never does.

It could be a big issue, lots of pressure on Wood/Urbik/Glenn for sure.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

I'd say we'll be slightly worse, but not as much as some might expect. We still have a fairly strong unit, but we will miss Levitre

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

looks like it isn't better talent wise but having a former OL player/coach for a HC, I'm pretty sure the OL won't be ignored.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
              looks like it isn't better talent wise but having a former OL player/coach for a HC, I'm pretty sure the OL won't be ignored.
              So in your opinion, the OL will be better than last year because of the HC?

In your opinion, will it be top half or bottom half of the NFL?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                My sense of it is that despite last year's offensive scheme flaws, the quick release emphasis made the OL look better than it actually was.
                This year we are going to a quick tempo which will require our OL to at the very least be in better physical condition.
                It sure is a question mark. The younger players have last years' seasoning under their belts, but it's a loss re Levitre. They square off against the AFC North, with at least 2 clubs that will bring strong interior pressure. And IIRC, Marrone seeks to use a bunch of multiple wide sets. So I wonder about the BUf qbs getting hammered. As well as inside holes being opened for Spiller. They may have to keep a blocking FB on the field more than they'd like - dunno.

Bottom half.
                Last edited by stuckincincy; 07-24-2013, 11:57 AM.
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Hard to say. I think the OLine has so much to do with coaching and scheming. If they do their job planning and preparing top half. If they are bone heads bottom half.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

So in your opinion, the OL will be better than last year because of the HC?

In your opinion, will it be top half or bottom half of the NFL?
                    hard to say at the moment especially when we don't know what the offensive playcalling is going to be like. I'm sure they want up tempo but I don't know if this OL is built for it.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

I don't expect a lot of difference. If the can stay relatively healthy, I think the total product could be a bit better, even though the loss of Levitre is an obvious downgrade at LG. I expect it will be better than average for the NFL, and that means in the top half of the league.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                        Hard to say. I think the OLine has so much to do with coaching and scheming. If they do their job planning and preparing top half. If they are bone heads bottom half.
                        this...i think they were made to look better last year than they really were bc of the amount of dink, dunk, and screen passes we threw...and CJ also made something out of nothing a lot. Not to say that the line didnt play well because they did, but I think in the right scheme this year we can do nearly as well, esp with a mobile QB

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

So why don't you tell us what you think. Top half or bottom half?

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by LindellSucks View Post
                            Then you have to worry about Wood staying haelthy, something he never does.
                            Which is due to flukey injuries. There is no reason to expect that he will get injured any more than any other center in the league from this point forward.
                            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              So why don't you tell us what you think. Top half or bottom half?
                              Same as last year -- bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X