PDA

View Full Version : Nix 1, Me 0.

Oaf
07-26-2013, 03:22 PM
The San Diego Chargers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/profile?team=SD) have talent at wide receiver, but Robert Meachem (http://www.nfl.com/player/robertmeachem/2495676/profile) remains an expensive enigma.
The former New Orleans Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO) wideout totaled just 14 catches in 15 games in 2012 after signing a four-year, $25.9 million contract. He's arguably last year's worst free-agent signing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000221345/article/camp-buzz-meachem-wont-be-a-factor-for-chargers

I really wanted this guy opposite Stevie. I remember the story of Nix hearing his contract requirements in the middle of the night or something, and saying "best of luck Robert", and heading back to sleep.

CoolBreeze
07-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Me as well, I wanted RM bad. I thought he had the size, speed, etc. I took him for a WR who was just overlooked, and under used in New Orleans. This year I wanted Darrius Heyward Bay, but I have a feeling he won't shine in Indy much like RM in San Diego. I think it was the right move, WR's are a dime a dozen. We already pay big money to a Wide Out, Mr. Stevie Johnson, and he has earned it. Loyalty, and producing 3 years straight with a mediocare QB, and no real threat opposite of him. That's worth big money, free agent WR's however, are always a gamble

Meathead
07-26-2013, 03:57 PM
lol fitz certainly was a mediocaretaker qb

IlluminatusUIUC
07-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Me as well, I wanted RM bad. I thought he had the size, speed, etc. I took him for a WR who was just overlooked, and under used in New Orleans. This year I wanted Darrius Heyward Bay, but I have a feeling he won't shine in Indy much like RM in San Diego. I think it was the right move, WR's are a dime a dozen. We already pay big money to a Wide Out, Mr. Stevie Johnson, and he has earned it. Loyalty, and producing 3 years straight with a mediocare QB, and no real threat opposite of him. That's worth big money, free agent WR's however, are always a gamble

It depends on the wideout and the contract. Heyward-Bey got 1 year $3 million. That's peanuts and minimal risk. Meachem's contract was FAR worse, especially since they hardballed Vincent Jackson and lost so badly.

GingerP
07-26-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure I'd give Nix credit. He brought Meachum and Mario Williams in at the start of free agency and went hard after both. He was just lucky the Chargers offered more and saved him from making a big mistake.

better days
07-26-2013, 05:01 PM
It depends on the wideout and the contract. Heyward-Bey got 1 year $3 million. That's peanuts and minimal risk. Meachem's contract was FAR worse, especially since they hardballed Vincent Jackson and lost so badly.

Especially since Vincent played so well for the Bucs last year & he should continue to play well for the Bucs.

Night Train
07-26-2013, 05:10 PM
WR's are a dime a dozen. We already pay big money to a Wide Out, Mr. Stevie Johnson, and he has earned it.

Byrd wants 9-13 Mil more total than Steve Johnson for the same 5 years. Perspective.

BillsFever21
07-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Byrd wants 9-13 Mil more total than Steve Johnson for the same 5 years. Perspective.

It's a different position and a new CBA. With the new CBA they cut back the rookie salaries so that the veterans that have earned it would get a bigger piece of the pie. Instead of getting paid top dollar coming out college you will have to perform and then you will receive it after your rookie contract is up. That's how it should be.

It's also comparing apples to oranges. It's a different position, year and rankings for each player at their position. You have to look at where the player ranks among his peers at his position and what they are making.

Byrd at the very least has played at the level of a Top 3-5 safety during his 4 years after being drafted. The top average salary for a safety this year is 9.1 million and that contract was signed several years ago. The 3rd highest average salary for a safety is 8.2 million, 4th is 8 million and 5th average salary is 7.4 million. Naturally Byrd is going to want to be paid somewhere in that range since he has played at the level of a top 3 safety.

The top average salary for a WR is 18.8 million a year and the 10th one is 9.4 million a year. Stevie Johnson is getting an average of 7.25 which puts him in the Top 11-15 or so range where he belongs. He is a very good WR but he isn't a top dominating WR at his position so he was paid accordingly for when he signed the contract. If the contract was this year then he could probably get an average of 8 million a year or more after guys like Wallace, Harvin and Jennings received much bigger contracts. Wallace has the 3rd highest average WR salary in the NFL after his contract this year. Is he the 3rd best WR in football? Of course not but now the new CBA salary demands are in full swing.

BillsFever21
07-26-2013, 10:52 PM
With the new CBA the rookie contracts are half of what they were a couple years ago. That extra money was intended to be doled out to the proven veterans. Everyone from the owners, non-rookie players and the fans agreed it wasn't wise to make top drafted rookies the highest paid players at their position before proving anything on the field.

The new CBA has also shown that guys in 31+ years old(except QB's) aren't getting the money they were a couple years ago and that's why many of them are unsigned or signing one year deals. The majority of these guys have one shot to make the big contract now and them and their agents are going to want it.

Most teams will use the savings to keep their good young players entering their prime after their rookie deals. That's what it was intended for. If the Bills and the fans want to still pay these players the same rate as before the new CBA and the savings from the rookie contracts then I suggest we acquire as many draft picks as possible through trading down or trading players. We can have a team full of mostly guys on their rookie contracts and never build a winner for the long term.

Most teams will use this money to keep these kind of players. Some teams like the Bills may choose to try and keep the savings from the rookie contracts instead of investing that money into their better players like it was intended for. That's why there is a salary cap floor coming from the new CBA to help prevent teams from doing this and trying to model their payroll like many MLB teams and banking the profits. That's why they have shared revenue. If you're not going to use your cap money then why have shared revenue and make other teams give teams like the Bills money to help improve themselves. We can adjust or we can stay a crappy team.