PDA

View Full Version : Brad Smith re did his deal today

Blame Canada
07-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Renegotiated contract for brad smith was done today. It looks like he is going to stick around this year

TigerJ
07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Except the people in the organization who manage finances and renegotiate contracts are not the same people who decide which players stay and which ones go. I'm not saying he's history, but I don't know enough about communication within the organization to say for certain Jim Overdorf checked with Doug Marrone before he started renegotiating

better days
07-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Except the people in the organization who manage finances and renegotiate contracts are not the same people who decide which players stay and which ones go. I'm not saying he's history, but I don't know enough about communication within the organization to say for certain Jim Overdorf checked with Doug Marrone before he started renegotiating

I am sure the front office people communicate with each other.

I think Smith is a lock to make the team after this or the Bills would not have wasted the time & effort to get a new deal done.

kishoph
07-27-2013, 04:54 AM
I was hoping Smith did not make the final roster, but if he does, hopefully re-structuring his contract will make it a little easier to take.

stuckincincy
07-27-2013, 05:18 AM
Maybe they're cooking up 5-wide formations. :zipit:

Scumbag College
07-27-2013, 07:48 AM
There are a bunch or rookie and second year WRs, and with a rookie QB and rookie Head Coach maybe the Bills think it wise to keep a veteran receiver on the roster other than Stevie.

better days
07-27-2013, 08:12 AM
There are a bunch or rookie and second year WRs, and with a rookie QB and rookie Head Coach maybe the Bills think it wise to keep a veteran receiver on the roster other than Stevie.

And TJ Graham.

GvilleBills
07-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Highly unlikely he's cut. Just as unlikely he's kept as QB3, with Kolb, EJ, and Tuel.

So, where's that leave us at WR? Are we going to keep 6-7? What young talent are we going to boot to keep a veteran, utility douche?
SJ
TJ
Woods
Goodwin
Rogers
7-11
Kaufman
Smith

GvilleBills
07-27-2013, 09:16 AM
We have a wealth of young talent oozing with the "P" word. Risky to only have two vets (w TJ barely a vet to boot), but I'd much rather go forward with them than Smitty.

DraftBoy
07-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Means more bad news for Tuel then probably any WR.

feldspar
07-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Means more bad news for Tuel then probably any WR.

Why?

Brad Smith is not an NFL quarterback in any way. It's one of my pet peeves that people sometimes suggest that he is.

Night Train
07-27-2013, 10:12 AM
He's the ultimate utility guy. Emergency QB, extra WR, Gunner on ST's and can return kickoffs. If he's cheaper today and helps the team, what's the problem ?

Skooby
07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
He's going to be listed as a WR, that's what I understood to be the case anyways.

Bangarang
07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
I bet they have him a raise.

I'm so done with this team

IlluminatusUIUC
07-27-2013, 11:05 AM
He's the ultimate utility guy. Emergency QB, extra WR, Gunner on ST's and can return kickoffs. If he's cheaper today and helps the team, what's the problem ?

Depends on how much cheaper, but the size of his contract was always my problem with him.

The Jokeman
07-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Seriously why are we bothering? We have more than enough cap room without him adjusting his deal and it's not like there's any big name free agents out there to be signed. To me this isn't news worthy except it might allow Smith to stick around as a 4th or 5th WR for another year or two which in a word is Meh. I mean we were $16M under the cap and now we're what at best $17.5?

Meathead
07-27-2013, 11:19 AM
I think Smith is a lock to make the team after this or the Bills would not have wasted the time & effort to get a new deal done.

not necessarily true at all. they could have told him redo your deal or we have to let you go now and maybe hed rather try to stay here than take his chances elsewhere. im just speculating but its not tough to redo a deal if both sides are willing so really that alone doesnt tell us much and he could still be cut

stuckincincy
07-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Why?

Brad Smith is not an NFL quarterback in any way. It's one of my pet peeves that people sometimes suggest that he is.

I doubt that anyone suggests that he is. Keeping a 3rd qb doesn't make much sense nowadays for a couple of reasons (unless you want to keep a young'un from practice squad liability and you can afford to sacrifice the roster spot). If they end up keeping Smith, it will likely force Tuel to the PS - hence the bad news for him.

One could make a case for using Smith in a wildcat formation, I guess. He's an adequate KR.

DraftBoy
07-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Why?

Because the 3rd QB has to be active.

feldspar
07-27-2013, 11:39 AM
I doubt that anyone suggests that he is. Keeping a 3rd qb doesn't make much sense nowadays for a couple of reasons (unless you want to keep a young'un from practice squad liability and you can afford to sacrifice the roster spot). If they end up keeping Smith, it will likely force Tuel to the PS - hence the bad news for him.

One could make a case for using Smith in a wildcat formation, I guess. He's an adequate KR.

Exactly...if the Bills like Tuel, he's practice squad material anyway. I think he'd be safe there. However, that's probably the best news he could hope for, regardless of what happens with Brad Smith. I don't see how their destinies intertwine whatsoever.

But the Wildcat days in Buffalo are over, and we have at least two guys that are better KRs than him, in my opinion. Smith is a flat-out WR now, so what he does there will determine his worth to the team...he could also play different roles on Special Teams (which may help his cause), but not KR, unless enough people get hurt. I'm just not a fan of his thus far, and I never did understand why a gimmick player got that contract in the first place.

TigerJ
07-27-2013, 11:46 AM
There are a bunch or rookie and second year WRs, and with a rookie QB and rookie Head Coach maybe the Bills think it wise to keep a veteran receiver on the roster other than Stevie. I can certainly see this reasoning, though I still don't regard it as a guarantee he'll make the roster. He's got better odds than Easley though.

stuckincincy
07-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Exactly...if the Bills like Tuel, he's practice squad material anyway. I think he'd be safe there. However, that's probably the best news he could hope for, regardless of what happens with Brad Smith. I don't see how their destinies intertwine whatsoever.

But the Wildcat days in Buffalo are over, and we have at least two guys that are better KRs than him, in my opinion. Smith is a flat-out WR now, so what he does there will determine his worth to the team...he could also play different roles on Special Teams (which may help his cause), but not KR, unless enough people get hurt. I'm just not a fan of his thus far, and I never did understand why a gimmick player got that contract in the first place.

Well, he made a big noise with NYJ, and BUF signed him to a relatively big contract. Water over the dam.

I'll never begin to understand the Byzantine ins and outs of NFL contracts, so I assume that the re-signing made some monetary sense and that the coaching staff sees some value in keeping him.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Well, he made a big noise with NYJ, and BUF signed him to a relatively big contract. Water over the dam.

I'll never begin to understand the Byzantine ins and outs of NFL contracts, so I assume that the re-signing made some monetary sense and that the coaching staff sees some value in keeping him.

No he didn't and I don't know why people keep saying talking about him like he was some kind of superstar in New York. The guy accounted for less than 1400 yards from scrimmage and 4 TDs in five seasons. He had some moderate success as a returnman, but as soon as he left Joe McKnight took over and he's better than Smith was.

stuckincincy
07-27-2013, 12:59 PM
No he didn't and I don't know why people keep saying talking about him like he was some kind of superstar in New York. The guy accounted for less than 1400 yards from scrimmage and 4 TDs in five seasons. He had some moderate success as a returnman, but as soon as he left Joe McKnight took over and he's better than Smith was.

Jeeze - who here ever said he was a superstar? :nono:

He had some good press, he impressed BUF, and they paid for him.

Scumbag College
07-27-2013, 05:10 PM
I forget Easley is still around.

BillsFever21
07-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Jeeze - who here ever said he was a superstar? :nono:

He had some good press, he impressed BUF, and they paid for him.

It doesn't take much for an average player to impress Buffalo and get a contract they would be lucky to receive anywhere else. We're the kings of signing players who are average at best to 4-6 million a year. We always have around a handful on the team at any given time it seems like.

BillsFever21
07-27-2013, 06:38 PM

He was a decent return man for a couple years but his only other productions was picking up first downs out of the wildcat formation during it's two or three year phase in the NFL. He was pretty successful the few plays a game he did with that. Outside of that he was nothing else. Only the Bills thought it would be wise to give a guy around 4 million a season to come in and touch the ball a handful of times a game out of the wildcat formation especially when it was at the end of it's fad in the NFL.

I remember he dismantled the Bills one game out of the wildcat. Picked up first down after first down and huge chunks of yards at a time. I think one or two drives he basically took them down the field himself out of the wildcat formation. It was one pathetic performance from us that day when we couldn't stop it when we knew that's all he was going to do.

I guess in the Bills eyes that warranted giving him a 4 year contract for just under 4 million a year on average. Then we get him and he doesn't do anything out of the wildcat and eventually the wildcat formation was put out to pasture for the most part in the NFL. Eventually it got to the point where we only tried it with him maybe once a game. He rarely ever picked up any big first downs when he came in for the wildcat on 3rd and short. He's been a total bust but just chalk that one up as another average player the Bills love overpaying for and keeping on the roster for years.

Turf
07-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Great, lead foot is going to be returning KO's. Cut him. This is the exact ammunition Byrds agent is using.

ICRockets
07-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Having met Brad, I can say that if any of you spent time with the dude you'd change your tune. Just a great guy who doesn't deserve to get **** on by haters.

kishoph
07-28-2013, 04:28 AM
This may be a way to keep him on the roster through camp, then save money when they cut him, compared to if they would of done the same thing on his old contract. Keeping a veteran with such a young receiving corp has to have some benefits, but I don't know if it justifies him making the final roster.

feldspar
07-28-2013, 05:26 AM
Having met Brad, I can say that if any of you spent time with the dude you'd change your tune. Just a great guy who doesn't deserve to get **** on by haters.

I don't think that anybody put him down as a person.

feldspar
07-28-2013, 05:38 AM
I guess in the Bills eyes that warranted giving him a 4 year contract for just under 4 million a year on average. Then we get him and he doesn't do anything out of the wildcat and eventually the wildcat formation was put out to pasture for the most part in the NFL. Eventually it got to the point where we only tried it with him maybe once a game. He rarely ever picked up any big first downs when he came in for the wildcat on 3rd and short. He's been a total bust but just chalk that one up as another average player the Bills love overpaying for and keeping on the roster for years.

Brad Smith only ATTEMPTED running the football 7 times on third down in his two years in Buffalo. In 2009 and 2010, the two years the Jets made the playoffs, he only ran the ran 8 times on third down, and once on 4th down. That's not very often.

My favorite stat of his is that he attempted 2 passes in Buffalo, and BOTH OF THEM were intercepted.

Anyway, he is just a WR now...and just another Special Teams player.

stuckincincy
07-28-2013, 05:45 AM
It doesn't take much for an average player to impress Buffalo and get a contract they would be lucky to receive anywhere else. We're the kings of signing players who are average at best to 4-6 million a year. We always have around a handful on the team at any given time it seems like.

Other teams get manna from heaven. Bills get Manny from Cincinnati. :kid:

ublinkwescore
07-28-2013, 09:25 AM

I have that same problem.

feldspar
07-28-2013, 09:28 AM
I have that same problem.

He's Easley forgotten.

PTI
07-28-2013, 09:50 AM
They did a deal with Jackson and then cut him.

The Jokeman
07-28-2013, 10:47 AM

The hate isn't on Brad it's on this team and it's stupid way of signing talent. Seriously when most teams are working to sign starter this team seems to be looking to shore up depth. Case in point this off season, how much cap room do we have and what did we have to show for it? Kevin Kolb, Manny Lawson and Alan Branch. All of whom yes improve the talent on this roster but hardly what I'd call impact players moreso if look as Kolb as the place holder QB while EJ develops. Also I think it's foolish to rely on 3 rookies to help shore up a WR core that has nothing to show for it except for Stevie Johnson. True we tried to lure Fred Davis and failed but he was also a questionable signing.

Meathead
07-28-2013, 11:03 AM
in his two seasons here hes played primarily as a wr for one and a half of them, which is the first time he played the position full time in the nfl. he wasnt awesome but he did pretty well and hes a great athlete who should be ready to pour it on now that hes spent some time working on that particular craft

personally im looking forward to what should be his best season at the position should he stick with the team, but it wont be easy. considering they will likely keep six wrs max he could be on the bubble

johnson
woods
graham
goodwin
rodgers
smith
-------
easley
kaufman
hogan
elliot
sampson

stuckincincy
07-28-2013, 01:16 PM
in his two seasons here hes played primarily as a wr for one and a half of them, which is the first time he played the position full time in the nfl. he wasnt awesome but he did pretty well and hes a great athlete who should be ready to pour it on now that hes spent some time working on that particular craft

personally im looking forward to what should be his best season at the position should he stick with the team, but it wont be easy. considering they will likely keep six wrs max he could be on the bubble

johnson
woods
graham
goodwin
rodgers
smith
-------
easley
kaufman
hogan
elliot
sampson

I like the new avatar. That cut would be best braised. BTW, you are not alone in inability to put up one.

Meathead
07-28-2013, 01:21 PM

yeah hes still down in the bowels of the depth chart with sam aiken

kishoph
07-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Great, lead foot is going to be returning KO's. Cut him. This is the exact ammunition Byrds agent is using.

Smith's returns weren't that bad, for returners with more than 15 returns, Smith had the 6th highest average, McKelvin was 4th, both had 18 returns. Smith had 14 returns for more than 20 yards, while McKelvin had 17 of his 18 returns go for more than 20 yards. Smith did have an 89 yd. return for a TD. With McKelvin looking to be the #2 CB, I don't know if they can risk having him return kickoffs and punts and I'd much rather have him returning punts. Still we also have Woods, Goodwin and Rogers who have returned kicks in college.

Meathead
07-28-2013, 02:45 PM
if mcknumbnuts really is going to be cb2 all season he wont even be returning punts, at least once they get confidence in one of the other guys

NOT THE DUDE...
07-28-2013, 03:17 PM
always liked brad smith, even with the jets. was he paid too much? yeah. does he suck, no... very versatile weapon who can really run

kishoph
07-28-2013, 03:28 PM
if mcknumbnuts really is going to be cb2 all season he wont even be returning punts, at least once they get confidence in one of the other guys

McKelvin may be one of the best in the game returning punts, it's a heck of a weapon to pass up.

stuckincincy
07-28-2013, 03:52 PM
McKelvin may be one of the best in the game returning punts, it's a heck of a weapon to pass up.

Indeed - but a 4 year, $19M/$7.5M guaranteed contract is a money bite out of a club that hasn't often hammered other teams into surrendering the ball in recent years.

Meathead
07-28-2013, 04:34 PM
a great kick/punt returner is indeed a weapon but its one that unloads on average once every three games or so with a long return. thats good but its a relatively sparse return on a big investment

a starting cb otoh is someone who provides a return on a far more regular basis by preventing way more plays than a returner could ever make. so once you put your money there you know you can find much better value in a returner by getting one of the kids or scrubs to do it

the only way mckdumbdick keeps returning kicks on a regular basis is if he loses the cb2 job. they might use him once in a while when the situation is right, but he wont be back there every time

JCBills
07-28-2013, 05:00 PM
I bet they have him a raise.

I'm so done with this team

Are you simple?

gebobs
07-29-2013, 12:40 PM
He may be something of a utility guy, but "ultimate"? LOL

As a quarterback, he's a disaster. 2 throws for 2 picks in 2 years. I don't remember him making any big plays as a gunner and has yet to record a tackle or an assist in any role as a Bill. Forget about kick returns. Anyone can do that. He's nothing special there. He's a reserve receiver and a gimmick running back. Not much more.

He was a lousy free agent signing from day 1 as the placement of kickoffs a month earlier basically negated his greatest value at that point in his career. The Bills just can't seem to cut bait. If the new contract is a substantial cut, I'm fine with it.

The Jokeman
07-29-2013, 12:48 PM
a great kick/punt returner is indeed a weapon but its one that unloads on average once every three games or so with a long return. thats good but its a relatively sparse return on a big investment

a starting cb otoh is someone who provides a return on a far more regular basis by preventing way more plays than a returner could ever make. so once you put your money there you know you can find much better value in a returner by getting one of the kids or scrubs to do it

the only way mckdumbdick keeps returning kicks on a regular basis is if he loses the cb2 job. they might use him once in a while when the situation is right, but he wont be back there every time

Tell that to the Cleveland Browns who've had the best KR/PR in Joe Cribbs for years. Truth be told yes a great one can be a difference maker but sadly when your #2 WR and #1 TE are questionable starters then the impact your return game can have lessens.

Bill Cody
07-29-2013, 02:11 PM

He sucks?:flush:

OpIv37
07-29-2013, 03:13 PM

"It's ok if you're not very good as long as you can be not very good at a lot of positions."

The King
07-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Marrone on Brad Smith: WR only, core special teams player.

Meathead
07-29-2013, 04:49 PM
yeah but thats sort of the point, joe cribbs, billy white shoes, even deon to a lesser degree, those guys played on some crappy ass teams. so do other players but i just think a starting cb or wr has considerably more overall impact than any returner ever so you protect that when you can

Meathead
07-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Marrone on Brad Smith: WR only, core special teams player.

youre welcome

BillsFever21
07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Who cares how nice the guy is if he isn't very good at football. There are a lot of nice guys in football but it doesn't mean you give them 4 million a year to rarely ever see the field.

I met Brandon Spoon years ago when he was a rookie but it doesn't mean I wanted him as my starting LB. Some people are content with paying players just because they were nice to them while making a public appearance for the team.

I also met Santonio Holmes when he was a rookie. My buddy works for the radio station and he gets press passes for Steelers training camp. I'm not a Steelers fan but it was still a good time to be on the field with the players with the press passes instead of in the stands. We got his autograph along with Lamar Woodley when they sent rookies down to sign autographs and do interviews for those with press passes. He was a real nice guy that day too.

Some act all star struck like these guys are from another planet or an animal at the zoo. They are human beings just like anybody else.

Generalissimus Gibby
07-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Renegotiated contract for brad smith was done today. It looks like he is going to stick around this year

This news is brought to you today by the letters F U C and K

Mace
07-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I thought Brad Smith would have a great role in Chan Gailey's offense, except Chan Gailey sort of had so many people to work in his offense he was dismayed and could not use them.

I am happy Brad Smith will do what he does but cheaper for the staff we have that want him to do what he does less expensively.

better days
07-29-2013, 08:40 PM
yeah but thats sort of the point, joe cribbs, billy white shoes, even deon to a lesser degree, those guys played on some crappy ass teams. so do other players but i just think a starting cb or wr has considerably more overall impact than any returner ever so you protect that when you can

What are you talking about?

Joe Cribbs was a VERY GOOD RB.

And Neon Deion Sanders is a HOF CB.

BertSquirtgum
07-29-2013, 08:45 PM
He sucks?:flush:

Nailed it.

Meathead
07-29-2013, 08:47 PM
yeah and how did clevelands season go?

deion was a bad example, he was an exception to the rule. point is most starting cb/wr/rb are not allowed to keep returning in the overwhelming majority of cases bc you cant justify the extra wear and tear. the starters/featured returner is very rare for any extended time - deion and scant others the exceptions

better days
07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
yeah and how did clevelands season go?

deion was a bad example, he was an exception to the rule. point is most starting cb/wr/rb are not allowed to keep returning in the overwhelming majority of cases bc you cant justify the extra wear and tear. the starters/featured returner is very rare for any extended time - deion and scant others the exceptions

What are you talking about Cleveland for?

Joe Cribbs was a Buffalo Bill...........................until our good friend Eugene Parker got him out of Buffalo & into the USFL.

kishoph
07-30-2013, 06:08 AM
There's quite a few starters that are returning kick or punts, Devin McCourty did it for the Pats, as did Wes Welker, Patrick Peterson for the Cards, Randell Cobb for the Packers, Percy Harvin did it for the Vikings, Adam Jones for the Bengals, Jeremy Kerley for the Jets and I'm sure there are more. There's no reason That McKelvin can't return punts for the Bills, I would keep him off kickoffs, but put him back there for punts.

The Jokeman
07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
What are you talking about?

Joe Cribbs was a VERY GOOD RB.

And Neon Deion Sanders is a HOF CB.

What are you talking about Cleveland for?

Joe Cribbs was a Buffalo Bill...........................until our good friend Eugene Parker got him out of Buffalo & into the USFL.

I should have posted Joshua Cribbs not Joe, I made a mistake in my earlier post about having the best KR/PR in the league. Also Deion made the HOF as a CB and returnman not solely as a return man.

RedEyE
07-31-2013, 02:51 PM
WTF? Why is this guy on the roster?

better days
07-31-2013, 04:43 PM
I should have posted Joshua Cribbs not Joe, I made a mistake in my earlier post about having the best KR/PR in the league. Also Deion made the HOF as a CB and returnman not solely as a return man.

OK, But if Deion never returned a kick in his career, he still would have made the HOF as a CB.

BillsFever21
07-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Brad Smith is the 5th highest paid player on the team this year. Now that was a good one when I saw that.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap-hit/

GingerP
07-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Smith reportedly reduced his salary in 2013 to $1.5M. He already received a $500K roster bonus in March, so his new 2013 cap number is $2.575M (a $1.25M savings).

His 2014 salary was reduced from $3M to $1.4M, and his roster bonus that year was cut from $500K to $250K. He has a $100K workout bonus and incentives in 2014 as well.

He received no bonus, so this was a straight paycut, and he wasn't given any guaranteed money, so there is no difference if he is released than before the cut. His 2014 cap hit is now $2.26M.

BillsFever21
07-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Smith reportedly reduced his salary in 2013 to $1.5M. He already received a $500K roster bonus in March, so his new 2013 cap number is $2.575M (a $1.25M savings).

His 2014 salary was reduced from $3M to $1.4M, and his roster bonus that year was cut from $500K to $250K. He has a $100K workout bonus and incentives in 2014 as well.

He received no bonus, so this was a straight paycut, and he wasn't given any guaranteed money, so there is no difference if he is released than before the cut. His 2014 cap hit is now $2.26M.

Not that the cap space matters this season but it's still good he's not costing us as much. If him and his agent thought they could get even more then 2.57 million from any other team this year they would've played their odds.