The NFL has given us many stupid ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckg927
    Not quite Best in the World....
    • Aug 2012

The NFL has given us many stupid ideas...

Here's a new one, as noted by Dave Zirin: The league's teams are looking into hiring tattoo experts to examine the body ink on their players for any gang affiliations.

I present this link with no additional comments(I'll leave that to you...:) ) :

John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
    David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: The NFL has given us many stupid ideas...

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
    Here's a new one, as noted by Dave Zirin: The league's teams are looking into hiring tattoo experts to examine the body ink on their players for any gang affiliations.

I present this link with no additional comments(I'll leave that to you...:) ) :

http://www.thenation.com/blog/175432...xamine-players

It's not stupid at all. Law enforcement does it all the time. See RaHoWa, or 1313 for whites. I don't know black/hispanic codes.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• ckg927
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
      It's not stupid at all. Law enforcement does it all the time. See RaHoWa, or 1313 for whites. I don't know black/hispanic codes.
      Duly noted, but as Zirin notes, an NFL player is 5 times LESS likely to run afoul of the law than an average male of that age.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

[QUOTE=ckg927;3820709]Duly noted, but as Zirin notes, an NFL player is 5 times LESS likely to run afoul of the law than an average male of that age.[/QUOTE

That may be, but the NFL is an entertainment business first and foremost, so any stink may stick around for a while and can conceivably impact $ garnered by ownership and players alike. I say may - I doubt this Hernandez thing is going to hurt the NE gate receipts.

Such stinks (briefly) hurt a biz like pro sports...one of the few that can scrape their feet off in the face of the buying public, chuckling when they come back for more.
        Last edited by stuckincincy; 07-27-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

thank god this is finally getting this kind of attention. the era of the populist thug is winding down at last

the nba sorta went thru theirs already on a mental level with metta. kinda feels like maybe they got to it before it turned hernandez bad. if he really did the horrific deed hes accused of that certainly would trigger an appropriate deep soul searching for the nfl

halle-frikkn-lujah
          Last edited by Meathead; 07-27-2013, 03:42 PM.
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
            • Jul 2002

i meant that as 'hernandez bad' as in 'george bush bad', not that the nba turned aaron hernandez bad

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

What about bill clinton bad al gore bad jimmy carter bad FDR bad E. Dent Lackey bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                Military does it too, at least the Marines. They have to photograph all tattoos on applicants, and they have to be approved by higher levels of the recruiting command to ensure they aren't gang related.

I'm not really sure what the NFL would do about it though- would a team really turn down a great prospect over a gang tattoo? What if the guy is no longer affiliated with the gang? What if a player is just stupid and got a tat without knowing that gangs use it too?
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ckg927
                  • Aug 2012

Look at Kaepernick, who is quoted in the article(as well as Time magazine). He doesn't go willy nilly when it comes to tattoos; those that he has are there for a reason. He plans them out well ahead of time. And no one has yet raised a stink about his tats.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

Turn your head to the left & cough, now what's this Tattoo say ?? Maybe we should put all the players in a cell & hit them with the hose to break them down, this of course after not getting paid for all their hard work in college.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                      • Oct 2002

The NFL has to do something as far as PR goes to the Hernandez embarrassment. I don't know if this is purely symbolic or just half-assed, but it's something. Teams do all sorts of background checks and vetting of potential draft picks, and if I was a personnel guy in the NFL I'd like to know if a guy I'm thinking about drafting has gang tats.
                      Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Scumbag College View Post
                        The NFL has to do something as far as PR goes to the Hernandez embarrassment. I don't know if this is purely symbolic or just half-assed, but it's something. Teams do all sorts of background checks and vetting of potential draft picks, and if I was a personnel guy in the NFL I'd like to know if a guy I'm thinking about drafting has gang tats.
                        Why does the NFL have to do something? The NFL employs 1600 players plus who knows how many team execs, coaches, trainers, office and support personnel, video/technical people etc. in an org that large, things are going to happen.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

They could hire me to take a hammer to those who continue to tweet the dumbest things I've ever read.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Scumbag College
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                            Why does the NFL have to do something? The NFL employs 1600 players plus who knows how many team execs, coaches, trainers, office and support personnel, video/technical people etc. in an org that large, things are going to happen.
                            They have to do something just to show the general public that they are "doing something."

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar corporation and any piece of really bad PR has to be met with some course of action. Even if it's inconsequential and done purely for show, this makes the NFL hierarchy look proactive and that they don't want to employ thugs and murderers, even though there are plenty of thugs in the game. If they do nothing and another player ends up doing the same things a year or two down the road, then that might pressure corporate sponsors to stop doing business with the NFL, and the Jerry Jones' and Daniel Snyder's of the world might not make as much money. I'm sure they aren't breaking the bank if they hire a tattoo expert as a consultant, and doing this preventative measure might save them much more sponsorship money by showing everyone that "they care."

Plus, if NFL owners can avoid signing players to 40 million dollar contracts and not have to endure the headaches and legal fees of trying to get that money back or avoiding whatever losses that go along with the signing bonuses...then hiring a tattoo expert for a miniscule fraction of that is just fine with them. They don't want to kill this goose of the NFL that is laying golden eggs for them.
                            Last edited by Scumbag College; 07-27-2013, 07:05 PM.
                            Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Meathead
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              bc now its a big fat very overt moral issue elephant sitting right in the nfls living room thats why

you run any business, would you want to know if any employee had skinhead affiliations? of course you would. if theyve reformed thats certainly very different, but have they really reformed? i find it hard to believe anybody who was a former skinhead and went straight would want to have those markings on his/her body anymore. any nfl player could certainly afford to have them removed or at least re-tatted into something else

'oh yeah, ignore that swastika. im not into that anymore but i just like that graphic.' yeah bullѕhit, youre not hired here as long as you have that crap on your body

could any employee remove or re-tat and still by lying about their current affiliations? sure, but if you have a guy with skinhead tats displayed out in the open i think its a very reasonable question to ask wtf is up with those hateful and violent signals?

and lets be honest, the gangsta culture is primarily bad and is the black version of skinheads. just like a minority of skinheads claim to be 'good', and probably are, its POSSIBLE to identify yourself as a gangsta and be a responsible citizen, but cmon how frequent is that? you put those tats on your body and it was either cuz youre an idiot and had no idea what you were doing and need to get them the hell off or altered, or youre telling the world youre a badass and youve aligned your mind with violence

gotta stop

Comment

Working...
                              X