• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Pre Pre-Season Questions

So after the first two days of camp I stare into the oblivion outside my kitchen window and I wonder what will be of the 2013 Buffalo Bills. A new coaching staff, GM, and Team President has us all wondering, is this team infact RE-CHARGED? Or is it the same ole' team, just re-packaged?
    Here are my seven questions:

Can CJ Spiller carry the offense? Everyone knows CJ Spiller is a special kind of player (Well, everyone but Chan Gailey), but CJ caught the league by surprise last year. Teams will now be focused on Spiller and he's going to be a huge part of the offense. How Spiller responds will directly impact what this team can do in the "W" column.

What's Fred Jackson's role? Fred Jackson did not look like himself at all last season, and if he's treated like back-up it wouldn't surprise me. Jackson is getting long in the tooth, but he does bring a lot to the table, his pass blocking, vision on screen plays and goal line presence are all things I hope to see Hackett incorporate into the offense. Ideally I'd like to see a 70/30 split taking advantage of Jackson's strengths when he's on the field. And for the love of God can we please see 22 and 28 in the backfield at the same time!?

Kolb or Manuel? Let's face it there are not many teams in the league saying "I wish we had Buffalo's QB Situation" right now. Kolb and Manuel will be pushing each other all season, regardless of who wins the job in the Pre-Season the other will still be right there, not waiting for his chance but trying to earn the opportunity. I like that.

Who does the Uptempo Offense effect more? All of WNY is buzzing about the tempo of the Bills offense. It makes our hearts warm and fuzzy. But who does this effect more, the offense running it or the defense against it? With the exception of the WR's and QB, this is basically the same offensive unit that tried to run no-huddle last year. Hopefully we're better prepared, but until I see this executed on the field it's all hype.

Wide So Receivious? Woods, Goodwin, Smith, Easley, Graham, Rogers, Kaufman, Hogan, Elliot and Sampson. It seems like we have 40 guys competing for 2-3 spots. Wide Receiver is one of those positions you can't evaluate until you're playing at game-speed with pads. So don't try and impress me with your back of the end zone, fade, one hand grab.

Who the heck is on our front 7? It looks like Carrington and Lawson are spending most of their time from the DE position, but without Mario in camp and Kyle Williams limited to drills, we can't be sure that's accurate. Dareus and Branch have been the 1-2 DT's respectively. That's 4-5 starters assuming Mario and Kyle are ready week 1, and Carrington keeps pace. That basically leaves you with Jerry Hughes, Kiko Alonso, Nigel Bradham, Arthur Moats and about 6 other guys competing for 2 LB spots.

Is this the end of Lindell? Lindell is the longest tenured Bill and for most of his time in Buffalo he's been reliable. But Lindell is not a clutch kicker, outside of a few Browns games he's basically been a non-factor. Can Dustin Hopkins bring that consistent 40 yard FG and hopefully more? Can he do it in 20 degrees with swirling winds? Or will he leave us saying "I wish we still had Lindell"?

I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
    Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
    • Nov 2012

Re: Pre Pre-Season Questions

I say take a chance on Hopkins. It's not like a missed field goal would lose us a super bowl ... uh ...

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I think CJ is going to struggle this year, not because of him personally but because the OL took a step back and because no one will fear our passing game, but I still think he will be the best player on the team.

Fred should be the back-up, used situationally and a lot in the 3rd quarter to keep Spiller fresh for the 4th. He's definitely still the better blocker and should line up as the RB in obvious passing situations, preferably with Spiller on the field as well as a WR target. Gailey definitely dropped the ball on having them both on the field at the same time.

As much as I don't have trust in Kolb, I hope he starts over Manuel for most, if not all, of this year. The book on Manuel (no pun intended) is that he's a project, and I don't want to see our desperation for a QB rush him along. He'll end up shell-shocked like JP and Trent if he's not brought along slowly.

Not worried about the offensive tempo. I'm more worried about what it means for OUR D if a 3 and out takes 15 seconds of clock time instead of 2 minutes. The O should have no problem sustaining the tempo and always has the option of slowing it down should they get tired.

I don't like our WR situation at all. Stevie is good but I'm not convinced he's a true #1 and I'm not convinced he's over his maturity issues. We have a LOT of young guys to choose from and I'm sure 1 or 2 will step up, so long-term we could be OK or even good at WR. But for this year, we don't have any experience outside of Stevie (and arguably Brad Smith but I don't consider him a real WR) and they're still going to have Kolb or Manuel throwing to them behind a depleted OL.

With Pettine's hybrid system and the reports of Dareus struggling for a starting job, it's tough to call the front 7. I think Mario Williams and Kyle Williams are too good not to be on the field. I suspect Lawson will start at one of the ILB spots if for no other reason than a lack of options. Moats isn't very good and Hughes is a wild card, so I think Alonso and Bradham will get a lot of playing time even if they're not initially starters. I still don't know what to make of Carrington- he showed flashes last season but has not been consistent.

Lindell is likely done. They tried to replace him or at least reduce his role last year and completely botched the situation, and they are trying again to replace him this year with Hopkins. Initially I hated Lindell but he grew on me- he was our most consistent player over several really bad seasons. However, age is catching up with him and it's time to move on. Regardless, though, I hope the team commits to whoever they choose as kicker. I don't want a repeat of last year's debacles with both the kicking and punting situations.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

- Spiller will come up big if used properly, which I think he will be with this staff. Freddie should be splitting 20/80 with CJ. Freddie is still a big presence in the lockerroom and is needed. Offense will be better executed, this staff will run the ball. Stevie, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Smith, and Rogers are your wr's. Stop wasting time with the rest of that wr camp fodder. Kyle, Dareus, Carrington, Mario, Alonzo, Bradham, and Lawson will be the starting d-front seven. Hopkins will be the new kicker. And lastly Manuel will be the starting qb on opening day.

Comment

• senseofdoom
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Muktar al-Portlandi View Post
          I say take a chance on Hopkins. It's not like a missed field goal would lose us a super bowl ... uh ...
          Somehow this is still too soon

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

I have been watching ESPN & NFL Network as I'm sure many of you have as well.

Yesterday one NFL analyst said the Bills could take 2nd place in the AFC East & former HC Dennis Green said the Bills could challenge the Pats* for first place.

That is a far cry from 3-13 or 4-12 some people on this board predict.

And Stevie Johnson has gushed about this WR group.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
              I have been watching ESPN & NFL Network as I'm sure many of you have as well.

Yesterday one NFL analyst said the Bills could take 2nd place in the AFC East & former HC Dennis Green said the Bills could challenge the Pats* for first place.

That is a far cry from 3-13 or 4-12 some people on this board predict.

And Stevie Johnson has gushed about this WR group.
              I guarantee that most of the posters on this board know far more about the Bills than the ESPN or NFL Network analysts. They don't pay any attention to us and have no idea what's going on with the team.

Oh, and also aren't those the same analysts that everyone trashes when they predict that we'll be 4-12 or give our draft a C-?\

And of course Stevie gushed about the WR group to the media- he's not going to publicly trash his teammates. Some of you never seem to understand that these guys don't have free license to publicly state their true opinions. There are consequences for saying something critical or negative no matter how accurate it is.
              Last edited by OpIv37; 07-31-2013, 02:09 PM.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                I guarantee that most of the posters on this board know far more about the Bills than the ESPN or NFL Network analysts. They don't pay any attention to us and have no idea what's going on with the team.

Oh, and also aren't those the same analysts that everyone trashes when they predict that we'll be 4-12 or give our draft a C-?\

And of course Stevie gushed about the WR group to the media- he's not going to publicly trash his teammates. Some of you never seem to understand that these guys don't have free license to publicly state their true opinions. There are consequences for saying something critical or negative no matter how accurate it is.
                This was a former NFL player & a former NFL HC talking. I think they know more about the game & know more about talent when they see it than ANYONE on this board.

And if Stevie said ANYTHING LAST YEAR about the WR group being GOOD please provide a link to that because I don't remember him saying that LAST YEAR.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

This was a former NFL player & a former NFL HC talking. I think they know more about the game & know more about talent when they see it than ANYONE on this board.

And if Stevie said ANYTHING LAST YEAR about the WR group being GOOD please provide a link to that because I don't remember him saying that LAST YEAR.
                  Yes, they know more about the GAME than anyone on this board. They don't know more about the TEAM because they don't pay attention to it. They're basing their analysis on the 2 minutes of camp video they saw while the people here actually know about the team beyond a training camp highlight reel.

And I doubt Stevie was even asked about the WR group last year because it was the same group of guys- the only change was TJ Graham. That's not an interesting question for a reporter to ask. This year, there is going to be one new starter and at least three new WR's in the group so it's entirely different. And no matter what he thinks about them, when the media asks he's going to say good things.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Yes, they know more about the GAME than anyone on this board. They don't know more about the TEAM because they don't pay attention to it. They're basing their analysis on the 2 minutes of camp video they saw while the people here actually know about the team beyond a training camp highlight reel.

And I doubt Stevie was even asked about the WR group last year because it was the same group of guys- the only change was TJ Graham. That's not an interesting question for a reporter to ask. This year, there is going to be one new starter and at least three new WR's in the group so it's entirely different. And no matter what he thinks about them, when the media asks he's going to say good things.
                    Nope, one of the analysts was Heath Evans, former Fullback of the Saints. He was at the Bills TC yesterday & saw the team live.

As far as Stevie, it is one thing to say something like "everybody is working hard & we expect to do do things" something of that nature. But Stevie GUSHED about the WR group, called the guys added the best of the best.

I can't describe it, but you could hear the excitement & enthusiasm in his voice when he talked about the WR group.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Nope, one of the analysts was Heath Evans, former Fullback of the Saints. He was at the Bills TC yesterday & saw the team live.

As far as Stevie, it is one thing to say something like "everybody is working hard & we expect to do do things" something of that nature. But Stevie GUSHED about the WR group, called the guys added the best of the best.

I can't describe it, but you could hear the excitement & enthusiasm in his voice when he talked about the WR group.
                      Well, first, I don't buy anything these guys say to the media because they're always going to say something positive. Second, even if Stevie was being honest and really meant what he said, it's one guy's opinion based on seeing them in camp vs our pathetic D. And third, it's still going to be Kolb or Manuel throwing to them behind an OL that took some big hits this off-season.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Well, first, I don't buy anything these guys say to the media because they're always going to say something positive. Second, even if Stevie was being honest and really meant what he said, it's one guy's opinion based on seeing them in camp vs our pathetic D. And third, it's still going to be Kolb or Manuel throwing to them behind an OL that took some big hits this off-season.
                        I know you will have to wait & see it, BUT it won't matter who is QB, Kolb or Manuel, either of them will be BETTER than Fitz was last year.

And I don't care who replaces Donald Jones at WR, whoever it is will be BETTER as well.

And the only BIG hit the OL took was Levitre.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

I know you will have to wait & see it, BUT it won't matter who is QB, Kolb or Manuel, either of them will be BETTER than Fitz was last year.

And I don't care who replaces Donald Jones at WR, whoever it is will be BETTER as well.

And the only BIG hit the OL took was Levitre.
                          I don't think either one of them will be better than Fitz THIS year- Kolb because he's just as bad and Manuel because he's not ready.

And guess what? Everyone thought Marcus Easley would be better than a guy like Jones when we drafted him. He wasn't. Same goes for James Hardy, Devin Thomas, Malcom Kelly.... ALL those guys were supposed to be better than guys like Jones when they were drafted and they all failed. There is no guarantee that any of the guys we drafted will be better than Jones. I don't know why that concept seems to boggle your mind, especially with the number of draft busts this team has had.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

I don't think either one of them will be better than Fitz THIS year- Kolb because he's just as bad and Manuel because he's not ready.

And guess what? Everyone thought Marcus Easley would be better than a guy like Jones when we drafted him. He wasn't. Same goes for James Hardy, Devin Thomas, Malcom Kelly.... ALL those guys were supposed to be better than guys like Jones when they were drafted and they all failed. There is no guarantee that any of the guys we drafted will be better than Jones. I don't know why that concept seems to boggle your mind, especially with the number of draft busts this team has had.
                            Easley may be better than Donald Jones, he just has not been able to stay healthy.

I am not naming one player that will be better than Jones, but with all the talent at WR, I have no doubt at least one guy will step up & will be BETTER than Jones was.

I disagree about Kolb & Manuel. When Kolb is healthy, he is better than Fitz. The question is will Kolb stay healthy? The way Manuel is progressing, he may be ready by opening day.

Get your popcorn ready.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Easley may be better than Donald Jones, he just has not been able to stay healthy.

I am not naming one player that will be better than Jones, but with all the talent at WR, I have no doubt at least one guy will step up & will be BETTER than Jones was.

I disagree about Kolb & Manuel. When Kolb is healthy, he is better than Fitz. The question is will Kolb stay healthy? The way Manuel is progressing, he may be ready by opening day.

Get your popcorn ready.
                              I don't know why you're so convinced that Kolb is better than Fitz. He's already failed with two teams. Granted, AZ didn't give him any OL help, but our OL isn't going to be as good this year as it was last year (although I doubt it will be 2012 AZ bad). And if he's not healthy, well, then it really doesn't matter if he's better than Fitz or not if he's watching from the press box.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X