• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimbohastle51
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Left Guard situation

I have to say that I am fairly happy with the Legursky and Caldwell signings. It was obvious that if the Bills didn't re-sign Levitre then they were not going to spend millions on another guard. IMO the team got bang for the buck.

Legursky could easily start at LG but at worse is a solid versatile and capable backup at the guard and center position. I fully expect him to make the 53 and dress on Sunday's.

Caldwell was a beast at Alabama and has had some very nice starts in Houston. Again, this is a player I could easily see starting at left guard but definitely see making the 53 man roster.

Colin Brown is not a bad player but both Legursky and Caldwell should easily beat him out for roster spots.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Left Guard situation

Bang for the buck how? We are $18 million under the cap, $26 million if Byrd doesn't sign his tender. Bang for the buck is irrelevant if the bucks that were saved aren't reinvested in the team.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jimbohastle51
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Feb 2005

The Bills know what they are getting in Legursky and for 900K yes Legursky is bang for the buck. Caldwell's contract numbers have not been released yet but at this point in the off season it is safe to assume it is a minimum or close to minimum contract. I am OK with those two players competing for spots on this team. I do feel they are bargains.

I understand your frustration with the team not spending money to bring a "big name" FA guard or Livitre back but to be perfectly honest after Levitre signed with the Titans I don't know that there was a FA guard out there that I would have been happy with the Bills throwing money at.

Also you have to remember it takes to. The player has to want to come play here as well. Also after Levitre signed a few guards got contracts above there value solely because of levitre signing for so much. It inflated the FA market for guards. Example being Vasquez in Denver.

Now if your post is just out of the Bills not spending more money on positions then it really doesn't have to do with my thread I am just stating that IMO the Bills got a couple players for bargains. I am happy we didn't over pay for players at the guard position. To be honest I would rather be 18mil under the cap than be to the cap but have a couple more bad contracts.

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jimbohastle51 View Post
        The Bills know what they are getting in Legursky and for 900K yes Legursky is bang for the buck. Caldwell's contract numbers have not been released yet but at this point in the off season it is safe to assume it is a minimum or close to minimum contract. I am OK with those two players competing for spots on this team. I do feel they are bargains.

I understand your frustration with the team not spending money to bring a "big name" FA guard or Livitre back but to be perfectly honest after Levitre signed with the Titans I don't know that there was a FA guard out there that I would have been happy with the Bills throwing money at.

Also you have to remember it takes to. The player has to want to come play here as well. Also after Levitre signed a few guards got contracts above there value solely because of levitre signing for so much. It inflated the FA market for guards. Example being Vasquez in Denver.

Now if your post is just out of the Bills not spending more money on positions then it really doesn't have to do with my thread I am just stating that IMO the Bills got a couple players for bargains. I am happy we didn't over pay for players at the guard position. To be honest I would rather be 18mil under the cap than be to the cap but have a couple more bad contracts.
        You can afford to overpay the G position when you're underpaying for the QB position. As it's all about building the best roster/jigsaw puzzle for your team and right now I feel this team is weakened by having $18M of cap space and not having Levitre on the roster. I mean I'd have no problem if we let Levitre walk and used his money to add a proven #2 WR, improved the TE position and brought in a starting capable ILB and/or #2 CB but we did nothing of that. So now we have tons of cap space and nothing to show for it but a question mark at LG that prior to this year wasn't.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jimbohastle51 View Post

My point is simply this: as fans, we shouldn't be happy about the Bills simply saving money or not over-paying. As fans, we should only be happy when the money saved is somehow reinvested in the team in the sense of extending quality players or adding talented FA's. If Legursky can truly start and be as good or close to as good as Wood, great, but if Ralph just pockets the savings, it doesn't help the team win. We lost Levitre and Byrd is holding out and we're sitting at $18 million under the cap, $26 million if Byrd doesn't report. So, hopefully the LG situation is as good as you say it is, but at this point, getting better value at that position isn't helping the team win because the savings hasn't been used to improve- or even maintain- other areas of the team.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• wozrob11
            • Mar 2007

PER ROTOWORLD.COM

Coach Doug Marrone said he's disappointed in the left guard competition so far.

Predictably, both Doug Legursky and Colin Brown have been disappointing. Chris Scott was waived last week. Marrone went as far to say that he's considering someone else for the first-team reps -- perhaps he'll give G/T Sam Young a shot. It's a reminder that the Bills' offensive line is a good bet to regress after losing Andy Levitre in free agency.
            Related: Colin Brown

Source: Tim Graham on Twitter
            Jul 31 - 11:14 AM
            IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST :op:

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Jan 2010

Caldwell will get a shot too, along with sam young maybe. if that doesn't work out, then they will sign Brandon moore in a couple weeks

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by wozrob11 View Post
                PER ROTOWORLD.COM

Predictably, both Doug Legursky and Colin Brown have been disappointing. Chris Scott was waived last week. Marrone went as far to say that he's considering someone else for the first-team reps -- perhaps he'll give G/T Sam Young a shot. It's a reminder that the Bills' offensive line is a good bet to regress after losing Andy Levitre in free agency.

Replacing our best linemen with street bums hasn't paid immediate dividends? You don't say.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                  Replacing our best linemen with street bums hasn't paid immediate dividends? You don't say.
                  theyre not " street bums" lol... more so good backups or average. relax

- - - Updated - - -

jamon Meredith is a " street bum"

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by wozrob11 View Post
                    PER ROTOWORLD.COM

I'm not buying it. How can anyone expect separation when the Pads went on for the first time YESTERDAY?

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
                      theyre not " street bums" lol... more so good backups or average. relax

- - - Updated - - -

jamon Meredith is a " street bum"
                      Larry Triplett was a good/average backup with Indy but a lousy starter here.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                        Larry Triplett was a good/average backup with Indy but a lousy starter here.
                        Well, the Coaching/System in Buffalo may have played a part in that.

Comment

• Mike
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          I'm not buying it. How can anyone expect separation when the Pads went on for the first time YESTERDAY?
                          Disappointing is disappointing regardless if its week 1 or SB.

The Bills saved some cash on not resigning Lavitre however it might end up costing them quite a bit in the long run:
                          1) brought in 2 players already at around $2M
                          2) might bring in another 2 players bringing total cost for position to $3-4M
                          3) might spend a 1st day pick on Guard position & have opportunity cost
                          4) will effect development of our rookie QB
                          5) o-line will regress
                          6) offense will get worse
                          7) at least the Bills saves some $$$
                          Please Make Sense

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Disappointing is disappointing regardless if its week 1 or SB.

The Bills saved some cash on not resigning Lavitre however it might end up costing them quite a bit in the long run:
                            1) brought in 2 players already at around $2M
                            2) might bring in another 2 players bringing total cost for position to $3-4M
                            3) might spend a 1st day pick on Guard position & have opportunity cost
                            4) will effect development of our rookie QB
                            5) o-line will regress
                            6) offense will get worse
                            7) at least the Bills saves some $$$
                            I wanted the Bills to resign Levitre. I felt like a Lone Wolf in that regard at the time it went down.

WHERE were all the people that thought like I did? NOBODY sided with me at the time.

All I heard was "he is a Guard, can be easily replaced, Guards are CHEAP, don't over pay for him."

Well, that ship has sailed. NOW, it is NOT week one. We are a couple days into TC.

Let's wait & see what happens, but it is WAY TOO EARLY for anyone to separate themselves yet.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                              • Aug 2004

Chris Scott was waived? Wasn't he one of the 5 different guards that NTD had listed at some point in the past several months as a starter to easily replace Levitre? Time to keep moving on to the next one as the adequate replacement. Whenever we signed somebody new he would be either 1st or 2nd on his depth chart LOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X