PDA

View Full Version : SJ is a slot-man now

Skooby
07-31-2013, 11:28 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130731/SPORTS/130739826/1004

The King
08-01-2013, 07:39 AM
My only concern with this is he's going to take bigger hits. And he's not exactly clutch in terms of his hands. So I hope he's got the awareness to know where the defenders are between the hash marks.

ublinkwescore
08-01-2013, 07:48 AM
I hope the fact that Da'Rick Rogers' name wasn't mentioned in that article is not a bad thing - I would say that he is the most intriguing player the bills have brought in in a very long time.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope the fact that Da'Rick Rogers' name wasn't mentioned in that article is not a bad thing - I would say that he is the most intriguing player the bills have brought in in a very long time.

better days
08-01-2013, 10:08 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Peter King just wrote that Roger's reminds him of a young Randy Moss...............that sounds exciting.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Peter King just wrote that Roger's reminds him of a young Randy Moss...............that sounds exciting.

That comparison can go a lot of ways. I hope he means a young Moss in that he's fluid and fast and uncoverable, rather than being distracted and lazy when it's not his turn to catch the ball.

Skooby
08-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Peter King just wrote that Roger's reminds him of a young Randy Moss...............that sounds exciting. Is it the water-bottle squirting / spitting Randy Moss or the one that actually caught TD passes I wonder.

better days
08-01-2013, 02:11 PM
That comparison can go a lot of ways. I hope he means a young Moss in that he's fluid and fast and uncoverable, rather than being distracted and lazy when it's not his turn to catch the ball.

When Moss was young, he was not the IDIOT he evolved into when he got older.

Well let me amend that. He was always an IDIOT, but he had more focus on Football when he was young.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-01-2013, 02:17 PM
When Moss was young, he was not the IDIOT he evolved into when he got older.

Well let me amend that. He was always an IDIOT, but he had more focus on Football when he was young.

No, he was always an idiot, he just has Cris Carter around to keep his head in the game. He got thrown out of Florida State for being a knucklehead, and then as soon as Carter left Minnesota he started sulking on his routes. Remember the "Randy Ratio"? Tice had to literally declare to the world that 40% of the team's passing offense would go through Moss to keep him motivated.

Moss needed a leader to set him straight. He had that in Minnesota, then again in New England, but he eventually tuned B&B out.

stuckincincy
08-01-2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130731/SPORTS/130739826/1004

Reads like camp trash talk. BUF coaches would have to have their faces buried in a bowl of wet Cheerios to dub SJ as a slot.

ublinkwescore
08-01-2013, 08:31 PM
doesn't the team's third best reciever, or the team's most shifty reciever go into the slot - historically speaking - hopefully he is playing there because woods and rogers are already proving to be better than him - imagine if we have a team consisting of randy moss, tim brown and a bigger roscoe parrish in the slot - or a new Andre Reed in the slot...

IlluminatusUIUC
08-01-2013, 08:39 PM
doesn't the team's third best reciever, or the team's most shifty reciever go into the slot - historically speaking - hopefully he is playing there because woods and rogers are already proving to be better than him - imagine if we have a team consisting of randy moss, tim brown and a bigger roscoe parrish in the slot - or a new Andre Reed in the slot...

Not ecessarily. Some teams play their best pass catcher out of the slot: New England did it with Welker and Gronk, New York with Cruz, Vikings with Harvin, etc. Generally it's a way to compensate for not having a 6'4 mutant at #1 wideout.

BillsImpossible
08-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Reads like camp trash talk. BUF coaches would have to have their faces buried in a bowl of wet Cheerios to dub SJ as a slot.

Uh...Did you read the article?

Johnson, the Bills' No. 1 receiver, is seeing most of his work at an inside position in the slot this summer. That's a big change.

“It's easy money,” says Johnson, because he has more room to go in either direction from the slot.

“I got talent around me, you know?” Johnson said. “I'm not stupid to the fact we've got burners. We've got guys who can run and stretch the defense.”

Rookie Robert Woods and second-year man T.J. Graham are battling to be the second starting receiver, opposite Johnson. But the reality is the Bills likely will have three receivers on the field a majority of the time. Graham is an outside, vertical threat. Woods has the ability to play inside or outside, but he spent most of his college career playing outside for the University of Southern California. Rookie Marquise Goodwin is a vertical threat who could play inside or outside.

Johnson is the best inside receiver on the Bills' roster.

“I can get past a DB,” Johnson said, “but why not put me inside and let me work with the linebackers and nickel guys and let our speed guys do work on the outside? We've got versatility in our room where we have the ability to do that.”