PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get Real About the 2013 Bills and the $21M Cap Room

Yasgur's Farm
08-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm optimistic about the improvement the Bills will show this season. But I'm not naive enough to think that the odds are with them for making the playoffs, let alone making a serious run.

Buts let's consider what's being built here... And let's remember that the NFL allows rollover of previous season's cap room... And let's remember that we have guys we want to keep as Bills.

Now... Let's consider the Bills closing strong this season and finishing 7-9 or even 9-7 but missing the post season. Optimism is growing.. Confidence is growing... We got something happening here.

That's the time to spend the cap space and close the deal!!

Night Train
08-01-2013, 06:37 PM
A 1st year coach spends the :$: after year 1.

He learns his roster and knows what positions to fill.

I just want to see the team grow and move in the right direction, long term. My 2013 expectations are low but I'm hoping the talented youth and good schemes can give us long term results.

Go Bills.

Meathead
08-01-2013, 06:40 PM
something really is happening here and its pretty much new everything

five wins

X-Era
08-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Not to dredge up a a mess but... I think we should revisit the CBA and the 90% rule.

I think it was that the average annual total cap salary over the first 3 years of the new CBA had to be 90% of the cap in the 3rd year... Or something like that.

That would mean we can't perpetually sit at 20 mill under the cap.

But, it's also a big mess that's confusing.

X-Era
08-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Heres the blurb:

http://s199.photobucket.com/user/lilOUmikey/media/MinimumTeamCashSpending.jpg.html

Cash vs. cap is a part of it. It's 89%, not 90.

The King
08-02-2013, 08:12 AM
It's not all about W's this season. It's about taking the first step to becoming the team we want to be. Imposing your will on other teams, playing a full 60 minutes, becoming a team that teams don't want to play. We have a tough schedule and we're lacking some depth, I expect about 6 wins but if we see a defense that attacks the QB, and an offense that improves each week. Then I am happy.

SpikedLemonade
08-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Not to dredge up a a mess but... I think we should revisit the CBA and the 90% rule.

I think it was that the average annual total cap salary over the first 3 years of the new CBA had to be 90% of the cap in the 3rd year... Or something like that.

That would mean we can't perpetually sit at 20 mill under the cap.

But, it's also a big mess that's confusing.

The cap floor is 89% and it is in two separate blocks of 4 seasons -- 2013 - 16 and 2017 - 20.

A team must spend 89% of the total salary cap in each of those 4 year blocks. In other words, it is not a per year but rather a per 4 year block total.

A team needs not worry about the floor until that 4th year (2016 or 2020) and then spend to the cap to get to the 4 year total.

If the total cap is $500M per team in the years of 2013 - 16, then a team needs to spend $456M during those 4 years. The team will know in the 3rd year whether it needs to spend more in the 3rd and 4th year to get to the floor. That is why it has no had no impact this year which is the first year of the 4 years in the block.

By the way, the penalty for being under the floor is simply that the team must pay the deficit based on formula to the players that are or were on its team during that 4 year block.

The floor is really bull**** and sounded a lot better than it actually is.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I've heard conflicting reports about how the cap rolls over, considering we already rolled space over into this year. I'm not sure we can keep rolling it over like minutes on a cell phone plan.

SpikedLemonade
08-02-2013, 11:10 AM
I've heard conflicting reports about how the cap rolls over, considering we already rolled space over into this year. I'm not sure we can keep rolling it over like minutes on a cell phone plan.

Unless this is a new feature of the newest CBA, the only way of really moving cap space from year to year in the past was by way of unearned bonuses and splitting dead cap cuts.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Unless this is a new feature of the newest CBA, the only way of really moving cap space from year to year in the past was by way of unearned bonuses and splitting dead cap cuts.

There is some mechanism for doing so, that's one of the reasons we are sitting on so much cap this year.

SpikedLemonade
08-02-2013, 11:22 AM
There is some mechanism for doing so, that's one of the reasons we are sitting on so much cap this year.

Found this...

Can a team carry excess/unused cap space into the next year?
Yes. Unused cap space from a team’s previous year cap can be added to the following year. The team must notify the league of their intent to rollover cap money at least 14 days prior to the start of the next season’s league year.

Does it continue to rollover like cellphone minutes?
No. Rollover money from 2012 into 2013 is treated as “adjusted cap”. Any unused “adjusted” money in 2013 cannot be rolled over again into 2014.

http://jimkanicki.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/cap-rollover-provisions-and-the-browns/

stuckincincy
08-02-2013, 11:47 AM
A 1st year coach spends the :$: after year 1.

He learns his roster and knows what positions to fill.

I just want to see the team grow and move in the right direction, long term. My 2013 expectations are low but I'm hoping the talented youth and good schemes can give us long term results.

Go Bills.

Good post.

Yasgur's Farm
08-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Found this...

Can a team carry excess/unused cap space into the next year?
Yes. Unused cap space from a team’s previous year cap can be added to the following year. The team must notify the league of their intent to rollover cap money at least 14 days prior to the start of the next season’s league year.

Does it continue to rollover like cellphone minutes?
No. Rollover money from 2012 into 2013 is treated as “adjusted cap”. Any unused “adjusted” money in 2013 cannot be rolled over again into 2014.

http://jimkanicki.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/cap-rollover-provisions-and-the-browns/Then the question becomes, how is it determined what is rollover money and what is current year remainder?

We rolled 2011 money into 2012... and then the remainder from 2012 into 2013. I don't believe anything was left on the table.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Then the question becomes, how is it determined what is rollover money and what is current year remainder?

We rolled 2011 money into 2012... and then the remainder from 2012 into 2013. I don't believe anything was left on the table.

If I'm understanding Spiked's link, we rolled about 9m over from 2012 and we have about 21m right now. So if nothing changed we could roll 12 million into next year.

feldspar
08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
If I'm understanding Spiked's link, we rolled about 9m over from 2012 and we have about 21m right now. So if nothing changed we could roll 12 million into next year.

That should just about take care of our dead money from Fitz and Anderson, with $2 million to actually spend. :xmas:

Why didn't we just eat Fitz's whole $10 million THIS year?

SpikedLemonade
08-03-2013, 10:49 AM

I was wondering the same thing.

BillsFever21
08-03-2013, 03:02 PM
That should just about take care of our dead money from Fitz and Anderson, with $2 million to actually spend. :xmas:

It gives them a reason not to spend as much money next year. We could've easily took the entire 10 million cap hit this year. By rolling over 7 million of it into next years cap it can make it "appear" as if we spent closer to the cap next season. I don't see any other reason behind it when you are sitting there with 20 million you're not using this season.