PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end of Hockey Night in Canada?

DetDannyWilliams
08-02-2013, 08:02 PM
CBC, the home of Hockey Night in Canada, has an exclusive window to negotiate a new deal to carry the NHL that ends in August. As Steve Ladurantaye of The Globe And Mail shares (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/cbcs-hockey-night-in-canada-window-set-to-close/article13571882/), time is running out, money is tight, and TSN is eager to pounce on the rights.
But the league must step lightly – both broadcasters have reasons to let the NHL pass them by. “This isn’t a slam dunk for the NHL by any means,” one broadcast executive said. “It’s not as straightforward as someone might think.”
CBC has had Saturday night hockey since 1953 and the current deal expires after this season. Ladurantaye says CBC could lose as much as $175 million if they lose out on the TV package. Hockey broadcasts are also a big money winner for CBC to help them produce other shows.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/02/cbcs-exclusive-window-to-extend-nhl-deal-closing/

DetDannyWilliams
08-02-2013, 08:11 PM
I hate to say it as great as he's been with calling the games RJ only has a few years left in him...If HNiC isn't around I would :love: to see the Sabres get Jim Hughson to do the next play-by-play

JATMtheJATM
08-02-2013, 08:54 PM
hughson is a national TV announcer. as he should be. as with gary thorne (but ESPN still owns his contract, sadly)

more gary thorne.

Skooby
08-02-2013, 11:52 PM
If they have a riot, no one will smoke or expect a hot blonde to get into a sports car, oh wait the girls need to dance & smoke all day.

ticatfan
08-03-2013, 01:56 PM
CBC sucks and should lose it. When given 1.1 billion by the taxpayer and was to cheap to cough up a mil to retain the rights to the song, show me they don't care.

Downinfloflo
08-04-2013, 10:18 PM
hughson is a national TV announcer. as he should be. as with gary thorne (but ESPN still owns his contract, sadly)

more gary thorne.

He does the Islanders games.

ckg927
08-07-2013, 06:49 PM
He does the Islanders games.

No, he does NOT. (And he never HAS.) Howie Rose is the Isles PBP guy.

Thorne handles Baltimore Orioles games and from all accounts is happy doing that.

mightysimi
08-09-2013, 11:31 AM
That's 60 years of one show. That network would crumble without all the HNIC related revenue. However, TSN has ****loads of money and could outbid them. I just don't see it though.