PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams Unit Concerns

DraftBoy
08-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Reading Glen Gifford's thoughts from camp on 8/3 he writes that he is concerned about the way the ST unit looks organizationally and that mirrors what a friend of mine (Jeff Ridson-Real GM) told me about the problems ST Coach Danny Crossman had in Detroit. Here is Gifford's exact comments;

I will go on record saying that the special teams unit is going to be a worry for me. I have been impressed with rookie placekicker Dustin Hopkins, but the punting unit as well as the kickoff unit has several new faces. I will wait until a few preseason games to pass judgement, but the unit as a whole seems less organized and less enthusiastic about practice.

I also place this special teams concern under coaching, as current Bills special teams coordinator Danny Crossman has never had a unit ranked in the top half of NFL categories statistically. Nothing that I see in practice leads me to believe that the special teams will be anything more than average at best this season.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013/08/kolb-slips-manuel-shines-buffalo-bills-training-camp-observations-aug-3/

In a season where we very well may (and probably will struggle) losing a constant field position battle will be like a never ending nightmare.

Night Train
08-04-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm betting a vast majority of players presently going through drills on ST's will not be around opening day.

I don't expect that lineup to be set until after the last pre-season game. That applies to all 32 teams.

The concerns over the ST's coach may be very legit with his past resume.. but sorting anything out with this unit a week in camp is a waste of a read. There will be a constant shuffling around of candidates for another 3-4 weeks.

DraftBoy
08-04-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm betting a vast majority of players presently going through drills on ST's will not be around opening day.

I don't expect that lineup to be set until after the last pre-season game. That applies to all 32 teams.

The concerns over the ST's coach may be very legit with his past resume.. but sorting anything out with this unit a week in camp is a waste of a read. There will be a constant shuffling around of candidates for another 3-4 weeks.
Agreed with the main point the issue wasn't with the players or performance. It was with poor organization which is all coaching regardless of who is out there.

SpikedLemonade
08-04-2013, 09:33 AM
I just hope these coaches are able to evolve since other than our DC I expect many will look over their heads early in the season.

trapezeus
08-04-2013, 09:23 PM
i think it's a fair point that his record is spotty at best. it seems like ever since our coaching carosel started back in 2001 (and you could include wade phillips reign as well), our head coach hires a friend or someone they know regardless of their history and we the fans pay the price for it.

i like that marrone got pettine. showed that he wanted a good staff anda good d and wasnt afraid of a strong/smart coach under neath him.

reading this thread, it gets me worried that the weaklink is the ST coach.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-04-2013, 09:35 PM
With McK and Smith, we probably have more money locked up in returnmen than any team out there. If we're struggling on ST, that's just further ridiculousness.

sukie
08-05-2013, 10:20 AM
My biggest concern is the punt coverage unit being winded by the end of first half.

justasportsfan
08-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I believe Marrone is a coach who will hold his coaches accountable if their unit sucks.

trapezeus
08-11-2013, 02:11 PM
draftboy, thoughts on what happened so far? do you think the colts truly suck, or that the bills are looking that good?

if they can keep that consistentcy i can see them being a highly rated unit. goodwin is decisive and fast as hell. the holes today were gigantic.

hopefully they keep it up.

psubills62
08-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Coverage as well as the KR looks good. Still just preseason.

jwenger
08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
ST's looked good to me especially our return team with Goodwin helping us to get a good win in Indy.

Skooby
08-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Indy's ST suck but the Bills did play well besides that stupid penalty on Goodwin pushing the dude OOB to start the game.

cookie G
08-11-2013, 05:48 PM
With McK and Smith, we probably have more money locked up in returnmen than any team out there. If we're struggling on ST, that's just further ridiculousness.

Watching Goodwin today...as well as the other WR's...I still don't know why Smith is on the roster. Well, I've always wonder why.

But in a more positive note, Berman's replays of Goodwin's highlights will sound something like...

-He..
-Could..
-Go..
-He's there.

DraftBoy
08-11-2013, 05:51 PM
I was curious about the direct kicks (straight line) that they had both Hopkins and Lindell try. They looked like they were trying to do them, over doing a normal kickoff.

Otherwise the unit looked fantastic.

BidsJr
08-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Watching Goodwin today...as well as the other WR's...I still don't know why Smith is on the roster. Well, I've always wonder why.

But in a more positive note, Berman's replays of Goodwin's highlights will sound something like...

-He..
-Could..
-Go..
-He's there.

This gets an A+ for creativity!!

Buddo
08-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Props to the STs today. Woods as PR may not be the best option, but Goodwin at KR was electric.
Overall, the coverage teams did a fine job too.
The Colts don't have any real record of being much use on STs, but the Bills were so superior, that it can be hoped their play will continue to be good when faced with better STs units.

trapezeus
10-14-2013, 07:35 AM
look's like draftboy's concerns about special teams are now becoming problematic. Two bad games in a row.

PTI
10-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Good booming punt in OT by Moorman, but the team could not cover the punt leading to the short field for the OT winner. Powell was cut last week, maybe the ST coach should be this week?

Turf
10-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Basically cost us two games.

better days
10-14-2013, 08:38 AM
The problem seems to be coverage on punts.

justasportsfan
10-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Easley is a very good gunner. Problem is, when he is held in check, the others look like crap. On the last punt, Easley was doubled on the side.

What worries me is that Danny Crossman is a Marrone crony. He used to coach the Lions' ST unit which was horrible in kick coverage and it's showing.

Oaf
10-14-2013, 09:19 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/221111-Special-Teams