• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Special Teams Unit Concerns

Reading Glen Gifford's thoughts from camp on 8/3 he writes that he is concerned about the way the ST unit looks organizationally and that mirrors what a friend of mine (Jeff Ridson-Real GM) told me about the problems ST Coach Danny Crossman had in Detroit. Here is Gifford's exact comments;

I will go on record saying that the special teams unit is going to be a worry for me. I have been impressed with rookie placekicker Dustin Hopkins, but the punting unit as well as the kickoff unit has several new faces. I will wait until a few preseason games to pass judgement, but the unit as a whole seems less organized and less enthusiastic about practice.

I also place this special teams concern under coaching, as current Bills special teams coordinator Danny Crossman has never had a unit ranked in the top half of NFL categories statistically. Nothing that I see in practice leads me to believe that the special teams will be anything more than average at best this season.

In a season where we very well may (and probably will struggle) losing a constant field position battle will be like a never ending nightmare.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Special Teams Unit Concerns

I'm betting a vast majority of players presently going through drills on ST's will not be around opening day.

I don't expect that lineup to be set until after the last pre-season game. That applies to all 32 teams.

The concerns over the ST's coach may be very legit with his past resume.. but sorting anything out with this unit a week in camp is a waste of a read. There will be a constant shuffling around of candidates for another 3-4 weeks.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
      I'm betting a vast majority of players presently going through drills on ST's will not be around opening day.

I don't expect that lineup to be set until after the last pre-season game. That applies to all 32 teams.

The concerns over the ST's coach may be very legit with his past resume.. but sorting anything out with this unit a week in camp is a waste of a read. There will be a constant shuffling around of candidates for another 3-4 weeks.
      Agreed with the main point the issue wasn't with the players or performance. It was with poor organization which is all coaching regardless of who is out there.
      COMING SOON...

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

I just hope these coaches are able to evolve since other than our DC I expect many will look over their heads early in the season.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

i think it's a fair point that his record is spotty at best. it seems like ever since our coaching carosel started back in 2001 (and you could include wade phillips reign as well), our head coach hires a friend or someone they know regardless of their history and we the fans pay the price for it.

i like that marrone got pettine. showed that he wanted a good staff anda good d and wasnt afraid of a strong/smart coach under neath him.

reading this thread, it gets me worried that the weaklink is the ST coach.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

With McK and Smith, we probably have more money locked up in returnmen than any team out there. If we're struggling on ST, that's just further ridiculousness.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• sukie
              Seriously?
              • Sep 2012

My biggest concern is the punt coverage unit being winded by the end of first half.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I believe Marrone is a coach who will hold his coaches accountable if their unit sucks.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

draftboy, thoughts on what happened so far? do you think the colts truly suck, or that the bills are looking that good?

if they can keep that consistentcy i can see them being a highly rated unit. goodwin is decisive and fast as hell. the holes today were gigantic.

hopefully they keep it up.

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Coverage as well as the KR looks good. Still just preseason.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• jwenger
                      snoopy the dog
                      • Mar 2013

ST's looked good to me especially our return team with Goodwin helping us to get a good win in Indy.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

Indy's ST suck but the Bills did play well besides that stupid penalty on Goodwin pushing the dude OOB to start the game.

Comment

• cookie G
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                          With McK and Smith, we probably have more money locked up in returnmen than any team out there. If we're struggling on ST, that's just further ridiculousness.
                          Watching Goodwin today...as well as the other WR's...I still don't know why Smith is on the roster. Well, I've always wonder why.

But in a more positive note, Berman's replays of Goodwin's highlights will sound something like...

-He..
                          -Could..
                          -Go..
                          -He's there.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

I was curious about the direct kicks (straight line) that they had both Hopkins and Lindell try. They looked like they were trying to do them, over doing a normal kickoff.

Otherwise the unit looked fantastic.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• BidsJr
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                              Watching Goodwin today...as well as the other WR's...I still don't know why Smith is on the roster. Well, I've always wonder why.

But in a more positive note, Berman's replays of Goodwin's highlights will sound something like...

-He..
                              -Could..
                              -Go..
                              -He's there.
                              This gets an A+ for creativity!!
                              "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

Working...
                              X