X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 8/5/2013

For the first time in years, the Buffalo Bills had a full team scrimmage at St. John Fisher. The stands were packed with people who came to check out the new look Buffalo Bills. The fans were treated to almost an hour of full team scrimmage, along with red zone work, goal line drills and a 2 minute drill to finish the night. Kevin Kolb was out due to injury, so rookie Quarterback EJ Manuel split the reps with fellow rookie Jeff Tuel.

As always the team started out the night by stretching and then went right to work on the individual drills. They spent about 10 minutes working on route running and the other fundamentals to get ready for the scrimmage. Following the individual drills, the team spent another 15 minutes on special teams, focusing on kick returns. The kick returners were Brad Smith, Marquise Goodwin and TJ Graham. Goodwin displayed his blazing speed on a couple of the returns, which dream some loud cheers from the fans.

Following the special teams work, the team spent some time on the 7-on-7 passing drills. EJ Manuel started it off with a 4-yard pass to Tashard Choice. He then connected with Marquise Goodwin for 10-yards. Jeff Tuel then came in and connected with Dorin Dickerson for 15-yards and then 8-yards. On the next play, Tuel threw a pass to Brandon Kaufman who bobbled it and the ball ended up getting intercepted by Jumal Rolle. On the final play of the series, Tuel threw a screen to Terrell Sinkfield who was stopped after a short gain. EJ Manuel came back onto the field and dumped the ball off to Zach Brown for 6-yards. He then found Da'Rick Rogers for 10-yards. On the next play, Manuel hit Marcus Easley for 13-yards. He then connected with Marquise Goodwin for 3-yards. Jeff Tuel came back onto the field and connected with DeMarco Sampson for 8-yards. On the next play, Tuel had no one open so he ran with the ball and gained 3-yards. He then threw a 7-yard pass to TE Nick Provo. On the final play of the drill, Tuel saw Brandon Kaufman and threw his way. However, Dominique Ellis and Keith Pough were both there to break up the play. They crashed into the field as the ball went incomplete and Keith Pough hobbled off the field.

After the 7-on-7 drills, the team went to work on the full team scrimmage. Usually I would write big paragraphs to describe the plays, but I'm going to write them in a different way, listing the down and the play-by-play. The ball is placed on the 30-yard line and the offense has 70-yards to go. I hope you enjoy these..... CLICK FOR MORE:
    Last edited by Michael82; 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 8/5/2013

I'm sorry if this is a little late. But I worked last night and it took a while to type all that up. I hope you enjoy it.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

GREAT job Michael

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Thanks man! I'm glad you like it!

Comment

• Buffalogic
          Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
          • Feb 2006

Always like your posts Mikey

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

I had a fun time last night. Hopefully Marrone does this often.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Sounds like Tuel lit it up, a little surprising consider how many of the beat guys barely mentioned him.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                Sounds like Tuel lit it up, a little surprising consider how many of the beat guys barely mentioned him.
                That's what surprises me. Tuel deserves props and the beat reporters pretty much only talked about EJ.

Comment

• TedMock
                  • Jul 2002

Since it was a scrimmage, I probably know the answer already, but I'd like verification - Did the coaches throw less at Tuel as they did at EJ early in camp versus what they threw at Kolb in terms of defensive allignments, stunts, blitzes, etc?

Comment

• kishoph
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by TedMock View Post
                    Since it was a scrimmage, I probably know the answer already, but I'd like verification - Did the coaches throw less at Tuel as they did at EJ early in camp versus what they threw at Kolb in terms of defensive allignments, stunts, blitzes, etc?

From what I seen in a 13 minute video of the scrimmage on another board, it didn't look like Pettine was holding the defense back, but there seemed to big a big difference when the starters played on defense. It seemed that when they were out there, the pass rush was stronger and the offense couldn't get the running game going as well. I'm not really discouraged by Manuel's play, he's green, but you can see he has potential to be a good one. I was a little surprised by Tuel's play, but I don't think in any way that he's going to challenge Manuel. He did benefit from some real nice play by the receivers, even on his long passes to Goodwin and Rogers, they made good adjustments to underthrown balls, not badly underthrown, but both should of been TD's. I'm not trying to take away from what he did, just my opinion from what I seen. Mostly I was impressed with the starters on defense and that was without Mario and Byrd.

Comment

• TedMock
                      • Jul 2002

Thanks. I havent had a chance to watch yet.

Comment

• RedEyE
                        • Jul 2002

In my opinion it doesn't do anyone any good to hold the defense back in these situations. Avoid the injuries, sure, but release the D in a full force attack and get these young guys up to speed. Beneficial to players on both sides of the ball.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Thanks for a great job as usual, Mike. It's too bad work has to get in the way of your reports. It screwed up my life for a long time, too.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                            From what I seen in a 13 minute video of the scrimmage on another board, it didn't look like Pettine was holding the defense back, but there seemed to big a big difference when the starters played on defense. It seemed that when they were out there, the pass rush was stronger and the offense couldn't get the running game going as well. I'm not really discouraged by Manuel's play, he's green, but you can see he has potential to be a good one. I was a little surprised by Tuel's play, but I don't think in any way that he's going to challenge Manuel. He did benefit from some real nice play by the receivers, even on his long passes to Goodwin and Rogers, they made good adjustments to underthrown balls, not badly underthrown, but both should of been TD's. I'm not trying to take away from what he did, just my opinion from what I seen. Mostly I was impressed with the starters on defense and that was without Mario and Byrd.
                            Yeah, I think the defense is the defense. The difference is the Starters talent VS the 2nd & 3rd string talent.

Comment

Working...
                            X