PDA

View Full Version : Sabres "steal" Jamie Tardif away from Bruins (one-year, two-way contract)

DetDannyWilliams
08-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Tardif (6’0”, 205 lbs., 1/23/85) has appeared in 438 AHL games in seven seasons with Providence, Grand Rapids, Iowa and Manitoba, tallying 229 points (123+106) and 398 penalty minutes. The Welland, Ontario native scored a career-high 30 goals in 2012-13 with Providence, tying for fifth in the AHL goal-scoring race and earning a recall to Boston, where he appeared in his first two NHL games. http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=679620&navid=DL|BUF|home

OpIv37
08-06-2013, 11:49 AM
This team is starting to feel like the Bills: constantly loading up on prospects who don't pan out while doing little or nothing to help the current team win. It's like they are constantly prepping for a future that never actually arrives.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-06-2013, 12:03 PM
This team is starting to feel like the Bills: constantly loading up on prospects who don't pan out while doing little or nothing to help the current team win. It's like they are constantly prepping for a future that never actually arrives.

Bwaaaaa-bwaaaa.

OpIv37
08-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Bwaaaaa-bwaaaa.

Tell me this: who was the last prospect the Sabres had that actually became a good 1st or 2nd liner, or top 3 D man? Vanek? Arguably Ennis? Myers fell off the face of the earth, Kassian is traded, Gerbe is gone... No one else has really done anything (although to be fair there are a few guys who seem to be on their way up). But we've had constant threads being excited about guys like this since the 04 lockout, and nothing has come of it yet. It just gets old.

SkateZilla
08-06-2013, 03:14 PM

At least they dont slip on the mats../

PTI
08-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Kassian got turned into Hodgson, so that is OK, even though he is worst ever with the puck behind his own net. If Grigs and Armia are good, Sabres will turn out OK.

Like I said in a different one, Ennis must get to 70 points.

OpIv37
08-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Kassian got turned into Hodgson, so that is OK, even though he is worst ever with the puck behind his own net. If Grigs and Armia are good, Sabres will turn out OK.

Like I said in a different one, Ennis must get to 70 points.
Hodgson is more promising offensively than anyone on the team right now, with the possible exception of Vanek, but defensively he's a liability. Grigs did not look impressive last season, but to be fair, the team botched the situation. I really don't know enough about Armia to comment one way or the other, but it does seem like we've been talking about him for 3 years.

gebobs
08-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Let's be clear. Tardif is no prospect. He's going to fill out the ranks in Rochester or maybe even Gwinnett. I don't know where the OP comes up with "steal" unless it's tongue-in-cheek. The headline on NHL.com is "Sabres sign journeyman minor-league forward Jamie Tardif"

swiper
08-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Let's be clear. Tardif is no prospect. He's going to fill out the ranks in Rochester or maybe even Gwinnett. I don't know where the OP comes up with "steal" unless it's tongue-in-cheek. The headline on NHL.com is "Sabres sign journeyman minor-league forward Jamie Tardif"

^^^ This. I would add that the Bruins likely didn't care.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Tell me this: who was the last prospect the Sabres had that actually became a good 1st or 2nd liner, or top 3 D man? Vanek? Arguably Ennis? Myers fell off the face of the earth, Kassian is traded, Gerbe is gone... No one else has really done anything (although to be fair there are a few guys who seem to be on their way up). But we've had constant threads being excited about guys like this since the 04 lockout, and nothing has come of it yet. It just gets old.

Oh what you said was not in dispute. Neither was bwaaaa-bwaaaa. (Debbie Downer trumpet). :)

swiper
08-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Oh what you said was not in dispute. Neither was bwaaaa-bwaaaa. (Debbie Downer trumpet). :)

Put it in you pipe and go smoke it! Nothing worse than an Oregonian with buyer's remorse for Buffalo! :D

JATMtheJATM
08-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Hodgson is more promising offensively than anyone on the team right now, with the possible exception of Vanek, but defensively he's a liability. Grigs did not look impressive last season, but to be fair, the team botched the situation. I really don't know enough about Armia to comment one way or the other, but it does seem like we've been talking about him for 3 years.

not many 18 year olds make the NHL. armia isnt behind in his development. most prospects dont sign till they are 20 and can go to the AHL anyways.

OpIv37
08-06-2013, 10:02 PM
not many 18 year olds make the NHL. armia isnt behind in his development. most prospects dont sign till they are 20 and can go to the AHL anyways.

But that's kinda my point. We keep hearing about all these guys who will eventually be ready but they never are. They either never make it to the big league or they make it but are mediocre or they are traded. But there's always someone up and coming that fans should be just.thrillllled about having in the system. Maybe Armia will come through and maybe he won't, but either way, what has the team done to win now? Basically nothing.

swiper
08-07-2013, 05:50 AM
But that's kinda my point. We keep hearing about all these guys who will eventually be ready but they never are. They either never make it to the big league or they make it but are mediocre or they are traded. But there's always someone up and coming that fans should be just.thrillllled about having in the system. Maybe Armia will come through and maybe he won't, but either way, what has the team done to win now? Basically nothing.

You've heard about Armia for TWO seasons. He was the Sabres 1st round pick in 2011. When he was signed it was published that he had a 2-year military duty to serve in his home country, IIRC. He's done that. So you get to see him this season. Not behind whatsoever.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/joel_armia/

The King
08-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Yes, you stole a 28 year old who I believe has a total of 5 NHL minutes. Championship!

Also if someone takes dog poop off your lawn, do you consider that stealing? We're the Bruins even negotiating with him?

PTI
08-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Need to get to a Gwinnett game sometime..............you been?

chernobylwraiths
08-10-2013, 07:20 AM

True, not many 18 year olds make the NHL, but that doesn't mean they don't sign. Highly regarded prospects DO sign early though, unless they are going to college (which is happening more than it used to).

gebobs
08-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Need to get to a Gwinnett game sometime..............you been?
Negative. It's on my way home from Athens on Thursday. I'll have to see if maybe I can catch a game then.

Thursday, November 28, 6:05 PM, Evansville
Thursday, January 30, 7:05 PM, Orlando

JATMtheJATM
08-12-2013, 06:16 PM

no, you are right. but should these players pan out, and most will into something, this team will skyrocket soon. like edmonton. i totally believe edmonton will make the playoffs next year, and the next year could be a VERY dangerous team deep in the playoffs.

JATMtheJATM
08-12-2013, 06:17 PM
True, not many 18 year olds make the NHL, but that doesn't mean they don't sign. Highly regarded prospects DO sign early though, unless they are going to college (which is happening more than it used to).

cant enter the AHL unless they are 20 if they are north american prospects. euro prospects can sign in the AHL at 18, but most do not. and very few 18 year olds make the NHL.

PTI
08-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Negative. It's on my way home from Athens on Thursday. I'll have to see if maybe I can catch a game then.

Thursday, November 28, 6:05 PM, Evansville
Thursday, January 30, 7:05 PM, Orlando

Maybe I go Jan 30, my birthday!

gebobs
08-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Maybe I go Jan 30, my birthday!

See ya there!