PDA

View Full Version : Glenn moved to LG

Bills Juggernaut
08-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Reports from camp say they moved Glenn to LG and Welch to LT..............

ghz in pittsburgh
08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
First bad sign of the Marrone staff. You don't make a big move at this stage of the camp. LT is one of the critical piece on the team.

This tells me that they have no answer at LG after the whole spring AND they are not exactly happy with Glenn at LT as well.

OpIv37
08-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Interesting, as I was just getting caught up on Bills news and Leo Roth said Legursky had been playing LG because Brown is probably too tall and can't get low enough....

Pinkerton Security
08-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Marrone is a former lineman, curious to hear his reasoning. This could also be a temporary switch to get them "cross-trained" at different positions, if you will.

justasportsfan
08-07-2013, 09:11 AM
First bad sign of the Marrone staff. You don't make a big move at this stage of the camp. LT is one of the critical piece on the team.

This tells me that they have no answer at LG after the whole spring AND they are not exactly happy with Glenn at LT as well. this is a possibility

Marrone is a former lineman, curious to hear his reasoning. This could also be a temporary switch to get them "cross-trained" at different positions, if you will.

this is a possibility

better days
08-07-2013, 09:14 AM

This tells me that they have no answer at LG after the whole spring AND they are not exactly happy with Glenn at LT as well.

If it is the case that the Bills have had no answer at LG & they were not exactly happy with Glenn at LT, then I think this was a GOOD move.

Glenn is probably a better LG than Levitre & whoever plays LT may do so better than who they had a LG before.

Ed
08-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Yeah it's possible they just want guys to get some reps at a different position since O-linemen have to shuffle around during games sometimes because of injuries.

Or maybe they know that when Hairston is healthy, they would rather have both him and Pears in the starting 5 and they would prefer Hairston at LT.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Yeah it's possible they just want guys to get some reps at a different position since O-linemen have to shuffle around during games sometimes because of injuries.

Or maybe they know that when Hairston is healthy, they would rather have both him and Pears in the starting 5 and they would prefer Hairston at LT.

yeah, I think this might be permanent. chris brown said it's staying this way.... im guessing hairston would start in front of welch.

- - - Updated - - -

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/08/07/glenn-starts-at-lg-welch-at-lt/

kishoph
08-07-2013, 09:29 AM

This is what Marrone said it is, he said that Glenn is the starting LT.

Bills Juggernaut
08-07-2013, 09:30 AM
This should make DraftBoy happy. He has also wanted Glenn moved to guard where he thinks he would be a perennial pro bowler.......

Ed
08-07-2013, 09:30 AM
yeah, I think this might be permanent. chris brown said it's staying this way.... im guessing hairston would start in front of welch.

- - - Updated - - -

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/08/07/glenn-starts-at-lg-welch-at-lt/
Well Chris Brown originally reported that Welch was moving to LG. All he's saying now is that Welch is staying at LT and Glenn is moving. He didn't say it was permanent though.

Someone on the official sites board is saying that reporters are saying that it's just to see if Glenn can swing, but who knows.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 09:31 AM
This is what Marrone said it is, he said that Glen is the starting LT.

he did?

mayotm
08-07-2013, 09:35 AM
I think everybody should just jump to a bunch of conclusions prior to hearing what Marrone says about the situation.

kishoph
08-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Well Chris Brown originally reported that Welch was moving to LG. All he's saying now is that Welch is staying at LT and Glenn is moving. He didn't say it was permanent though.

Someone on the official sites board is saying that reporters are saying that it's just to see if Glenn can swing, but who knows.

he did?

About an hour ago WGR reported that Marrone said it was just to get Glen some work at another position and that Glenn will remain the LT.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 09:44 AM
About an hour ago WGR reported that Marrone said it was just to get Glen some work at another position and that Glenn will remain the LT.
ok, thanks. it would be weird creating uncertainty at lt instead of lg

Jan Reimers
08-07-2013, 09:46 AM
How can anyone read a 3 line blog, written on the 9th or 10th day of camp, as a permanent repositioning of players?

Bill Cody
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
How can anyone read a 3 line blog, written on the 9th or 10th day of camp, as a permanent repositioning of players?

on this board? It could have been one line

Scumbag College
08-07-2013, 10:17 AM
The only thing that this means to me is that the coaches don't like the depth at guard and would rather have a backup tackle in the lineup rather than a backup guard in if Legursky or whomever the starter is goes down with injury.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 10:22 AM
The only thing that this means to me is that the coaches don't like the depth at guard and would rather have a backup tackle in the lineup rather than a backup guard in if Legursky or whomever the starter is goes down with injury.

that could very well be the case

jimmifli
08-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Glenn is probably a better LG than Levitre

Lol. This is why we can't have nice things.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-07-2013, 10:24 AM
that could very well be the case

lmao

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 10:43 AM
maybe welch can be the starter at lg

- - - Updated - - -

lmao

?

ServoBillieves
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Isn't this one of the Nostradamus Prophecies?

IlluminatusUIUC
08-07-2013, 10:49 AM
?

What happened to the 8 starting quality guards on the roster?

Mouldsie
08-07-2013, 10:54 AM
He probably should be a guard long term.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 10:56 AM

I said that? I think I said brown, legursky, young could be adequate there. can we wait till opening day lol

justasportsfan
08-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I think this needed to be done because the bills are moving Wood to LT and making EJ play center while Tuel plays RB.

cookie G
08-07-2013, 10:58 AM

See? Buddy wasn't lying when he said he liked the current roster for his replacement LG.

He just didn't mention that it would be the starting LT.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with it if they found a good LT.

But you're talking about a former 7th round draft choice on his 5th team.

ServoBillieves
08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
I think this needed to be done because the bills are moving Wood to LT and making EJ play center while Tuel plays RB.

Looks like an open competition between Coy Wire and Erik Flowers at QB then.

Skooby
08-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Byrd is going to become the starting QB, then his contract demands will seem like a reasonable bargain.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-07-2013, 11:09 AM
See? Buddy wasn't lying when he said he liked the current roster for his replacement LG.

He just didn't mention that it would be the starting LT.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with it if they found a good LT.

But you're talking about a former 7th round draft choice on his 5th team.

I think it makes perfect sense. Andy Levitre played left guard, a meaningless replaceable position that you might as well fill with a make-a-wish kid. So rather than pay him, we can move the #41 pick inside after he's established himself as a starting LT. If/when he becomes a pro bowl talent, we can let him walk because left guard is a meaningless replaceable position that you might as well fill with a make-a-wish kid.

Night Train
08-07-2013, 11:12 AM
I think everybody should just jump to a bunch of conclusions prior to hearing what Marrone says about the situation.

Bullseye.

" We suck ! 2-14 ! Wolf, Wolf, Wolf !!! "

DraftBoy
08-07-2013, 11:25 AM
:whistle:

TigerJ
08-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Isn't this one of the Nostradamus Prophecies?

Let's see you write the quatrain

better days
08-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Come on Justa, EVERYONE knows EJ has much better speed than Tuel.

EJ should be the RB & Tuel the Center.

SpikedLemonade
08-07-2013, 12:29 PM
"Any 5 fat guys lined up equals a NFL OL"

Meathead
08-07-2013, 12:40 PM

the same way that a rookie wr who drops one pass in a scrimmage suddenly cant catch a marshmallow pillow with a cactus baton

cookie G
08-07-2013, 12:42 PM
I think it makes perfect sense. Andy Levitre played left guard, a meaningless replaceable position that you might as well fill with a make-a-wish kid. So rather than pay him, we can move the #41 pick inside after he's established himself as a starting LT. If/when he becomes a pro bowl talent, we can let him walk because left guard is a meaningless replaceable position that you might as well fill with a make-a-wish kid.

Well, since we're now recruiting from Make A Wish...we can trade Spiiler for a 5th round pick and get this kid:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wPS0wB0LKHw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love the lineman lunging at him and then falling down.

And before anyone thinks I'm making fun of child cancer survivors, STHU. I'll take one of these stories over 1,000 "Aaron Hernandez is arrested" stories.

Watch the Team Jack video and you can't help but getting a lump in your throat.

Uncle Jesse
08-07-2013, 01:11 PM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/08/doug-marrone-dont-jump-to-conclusions-about-cordy-glenn-at-left-guard.html

WagonCircler
08-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Aaaaaand, we're back to no LT.

Great.

Better sign a few more FA QBs and clear Dr. Cappucino's schedule.

Same as it ever was.

WagonCircler
08-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Until there's a new owner, the team should be called the Buffalo Groundhogs.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Did someone say Dr. Cappucino?

BillsFever21
08-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Nothing like making the most important position on the OL the weak spot now. It wasn't worth signing a good LG since they are easily replaceable. All we needed to do was move our starting LT from last season to fill his void. That worked out real well. :rolleyes:

If this was their plan all along when they drafted Glenn then that means we wasted another 2nd round pick on a guard instead of just paying for your good players. Now if Glenn plays good at guard we can let him walk and use another 1st-3rd round pick on a guard over the next couple years to replace him. Oh and now we need a quality LT too.

I'm sure it's no big deal though. We probably have multiple guys that can step right in like NTD claimed during the entire offseason with our guard position. Everyone we signed was a quality replacement. They must not be if we're moving our LT from last season there.

BillsFever21
08-07-2013, 04:54 PM
We can't even use NTD's last resort at LG in Brandon Mooore if the previous 6 quality starters didn't work out in camp. He just retired today right after signing a contract with Dallas.

Meathead
08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
sure as a lindsey lohan relapse, preseason brings us the same panty bunching every year

- hey this rb ive never heard of is tearing up the preseason games, im sure hes the next big thing. what do you mean he didnt make the team?

- im convinced preseason results are important until three seconds after the season opening kickoff

- and of course, every lineup shuffle surely means we are doomed

jimmifli
08-07-2013, 05:41 PM
sure as a lindsey lohan relapse, preseason brings us the same panty bunching every year

- hey this rb ive never heard of is tearing up the preseason games, im sure hes the next big thing. what do you mean he didnt make the team?

- im convinced preseason results are important until three seconds after the season opening kickoff

Except, the people saying the team is in trouble are 12/12 and the optimists are 0/12. Sometimes smoke does mean there's fire, especially when the last 12 preseasons have been smokey and then followed by a dumpster fire of a regular season.

When I see smoke in the preseason I don't dismiss it. Fool me once shame on, shame on, fool me...can't get fooled again.

WagonCircler
08-07-2013, 05:54 PM

I'm convinced that past performance actually IS a predictor of future results.

The tedious thing, besides every post you make, is watching the same mistakes year after year.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Nothing like making the most important position on the OL the weak spot now. It wasn't worth signing a good LG since they are easily replaceable. All we needed to do was move our starting LT from last season to fill his void. That worked out real well. :rolleyes:

If this was their plan all along when they drafted Glenn then that means we wasted another 2nd round pick on a guard instead of just paying for your good players. Now if Glenn plays good at guard we can let him walk and use another 1st-3rd round pick on a guard over the next couple years to replace him. Oh and now we need a quality LT too.

I'm sure it's no big deal though. We probably have multiple guys that can step right in like NTD claimed during the entire offseason with our guard position. Everyone we signed was a quality replacement. They must not be if we're moving our LT from last season there.

you obviously didn't read what marrone said. it was to see who will be the swing backup and how they could potentially deal with injuries. wow. ( glenn isn't moving lol)

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 06:09 PM
some of you guys are stuck in 1980 and still think you need some ****ing dominant 95 Nebraska oline. the salary cap/free agency has made that impossible, and most nfl teams would want our oline.... the oline is fine, please just stop for the love of christ

BillsFever21
08-07-2013, 06:24 PM
you obviously didn't read what marrone said. it was to see who will be the swing backup and how they could potentially deal with injuries. wow. ( glenn isn't moving lol)

If you even need to think about moving your LT to LG due to injuries then that's not saying much for your LG spot. With all of them great starting material LG's we've brought in this offseason we should have plenty of depth there. :rofl:

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 06:30 PM
If you even need to think about moving your LT to LG due to injuries then that's not saying much for your LG spot. With all of them great starting material LG's we've brought in this offseason we should have plenty of depth there. :rofl:

it means the depth at guard is not too great. which many teams ( almost all) deal with. again, you now changed your story and now seem to be complaining we don't have a pro bowl backup guard...

BillsFever21
08-07-2013, 06:42 PM
it means the depth at guard is not too great. which many teams ( almost all) deal with. again, you now changed your story and now seem to be complaining we don't have a pro bowl backup guard...

It means that it's a weak spot to begin with. You're the one who claimed we had all these different guys that were plenty capable of starting at LG. Whenever we brought a new guy in off the street he was the next capable starter, etc. Now they're not even good enough to be backups? Which one is it?

Do you think Joe Staley, Joe Thomas or any of the other top LT's in the NFL would be switched to guard if there was an injury? Not a chance in hell. They would have somebody else capable of filling in that guard spot. That either means that they don't feel Cordy Glenn is a great LT and would ultimately be better suited for guard or that our guard position is just that pathetic. Either way that leaves a big hole in the OL. I would rather have the guard spot weak then the LT spot.

Plus injuries are always going to happen on the OL. If the depth is bad enough that you would think about moving your starting LT to guard that isn't good anyway you look at it. There will always be injuries on the OL.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 06:57 PM
It means that it's a weak spot to begin with. You're the one who claimed we had all these different guys that were plenty capable of starting at LG. Whenever we brought a new guy in off the street he was the next capable starter, etc. Now they're not even good enough to be backups? Which one is it?

Do you think Joe Staley, Joe Thomas or any of the other top LT's in the NFL would be switched to guard if there was an injury? Not a chance in hell. They would have somebody else capable of filling in that guard spot. That either means that they don't feel Cordy Glenn is a great LT and would ultimately be better suited for guard or that our guard position is just that pathetic. Either way that leaves a big hole in the OL. I would rather have the guard spot weak then the LT spot.

Plus injuries are always going to happen on the OL. If the depth is bad enough that you would think about moving your starting LT to guard that isn't good anyway you look at it. There will always be injuries on the OL.

it simply means our backup ot is better than our backup guard. in reality, most teams only have 1 adequate backup olineman, maybe two. hairston, legursky, even welch and young have been ok when starting. along with Caldwell too...

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 06:59 PM
AGAIN, the oline is fine and a legit top 10 unit, top 5 possibly run blocking wise if all systems are go. frankly, it's quite tiring to hear this constant " oline sucks" bs will all the stats refute that premise along with my very eyes watching our unit when healthy push teams like the pats 5 yards off the ball

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm convinced that past performance actually IS a predictor of future results.

I bet a few will misinterpret this chart, but it certainly does indicate that the best years for using last year as predictors of the future are our most recent years....

SpikedLemonade
08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
AGAIN, the oline is fine and a legit top 10 unit, top 5 possibly run blocking wise if all systems are go.

Oh please!

NOT THE DUDE...
08-07-2013, 07:33 PM
agree to disagree, but the stats tell some of the truth, and that's on my side...

BillsImpossible
08-07-2013, 08:02 PM
I really like how Marrone is addressing the situation at left guard. He chewed Legursky a new one last week after a defender blew past him, and he is clearly not satisfied with the, "starters," at that position.

Marrone is simply sending Colin Brown and Doug Legursky a clear message.

Welch got starting reps at left tackle, and Marrone seemed impressed.

If Welch can play LT, he can be moved into the, "phone booth," at guard, and swing to LT if an injury happens.

Doug Marrone is a very smart football coach. Two weeks into camp and he's had it with the crap play at left guard and is trying to remedy the problem before his rookie quarterback gets creamed.

I like the move. It also sends Bill Belichick a message..."You don't know who's going to start."

Good.

I like this Marrone guy.

The Jokeman
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
some of you guys are stuck in 1980 and still think you need some ****ing dominant 95 Nebraska oline. the salary cap/free agency has made that impossible, and most nfl teams would want our oline.... the oline is fine, please just stop for the love of christ

It was fine under Gailey and Fitzpatrick at QB and Levitre at LG. We still don't know what we have with the new regime here.

BillsImpossible
08-07-2013, 08:36 PM
It was fine under Gailey and Fitzpatrick at QB and Levitre at LG. We still don't know what we have with the new regime here.

I think we do know what we have right now in the new regime. Marrone is smart and doesn't take any crap. Hackett is a breath of fresh air and the players love him. Pettine is giving the Bills defense what they always wanted.

They are not happy with the play at the LG position, and that's quite obvious. Marrone doesn't take crap.

Give them credit for at least trying to fix the problem...because Brown and Legursky ARE a problem. They're both backups, not starters....and I think this coaching staff can see it.

If Welch can play LT he can be moved to guard, and Cordy Glenn can stay at LT.

If Glenn gets hurt, Welch can swing to LT.

Welch started 3 games for the Bills last year.

I really like this move because it tells me that the Bills coaching staff are not going to settle for average talent.

EDS
08-07-2013, 09:23 PM
I think we do know what we have right now in the new regime. Marrone is smart and doesn't take any crap. Hackett is a breath of fresh air and the players love him. Pettine is giving the Bills defense what they always wanted.

They are not happy with the play at the LG position, and that's quite obvious. Marrone doesn't take crap.

Give them credit for at least trying to fix the problem...because Brown and Legursky ARE a problem. They're both backups, not starters....and I think this coaching staff can see it.

If Welch can play LT he can be moved to guard, and Cordy Glenn can stay at LT.

If Glenn gets hurt, Welch can swing to LT.

Welch started 3 games for the Bills last year.

I really like this move because it tells me that the Bills coaching staff are not going to settle for average talent.

Welch appeared in 3 games for the Bills last year but he did not have any starts.

GvilleBills
08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
As per Marrone, Bills will carry 7 OL on game days. 5 starters, a T-G swing, and a G-C swing. This move is to get a good look at candidates for the swing spots, and has no bearing on Glenn. Glenn remains the starter at LT.

Step away from the ledge guys. I understand this organization doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but this coaching staff does. If Glenn was moved permanently, I could see all this angst; that just has not happened.

WagonCircler
08-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Here's the thing--I want the Bills LT to be a guy that you'd never dream of moving, under any circumstances.

GvilleBills
08-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Here's the thing--I want the Bills LT to be a guy that you'd never dream of moving, under any circumstances.

I understand, and agree. But this isn't a move, it's injury prep. Glenn isn't John Ogden, but he's not going anywhere either.

justasportsfan
08-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Is it time for a 2014 mock draft?

stuckincincy
08-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Yes - after Sunday's game. :kid:

Novacane
08-08-2013, 08:56 AM

Not sure if this is why the switch was made but if it was I don't see why it's a bad sign on Marone. I see it as a good sign. If someones not getting the job done you address the situation not hope it gets better by itself

DraftBoy
08-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Never..

Bills take Taylor Lewan?

coastal
08-08-2013, 10:05 AM
My favorite offseason meme... lets kick him inside!!!

EDS
08-08-2013, 10:17 AM
According to reports, Glenn is back at LT at practice today.

kishoph
08-08-2013, 10:20 AM
According to reports, Glenn is back at LT at practice today.

4 pages of people *****ing about nothing.

K-Gun
08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
4 pages of people *****ing about nothing.

Talk about a classical example the Buffalo media trying to create drama so they have something to report, quickly followed by the emotional instability of the Bills fan.

Its been really hard listening and reading the Buffalo media this offseason try to psychoanalyze every sneeze a player or coach makes as a sign of whether it validates the team or player's existence. I'm really sick of the Buffalo inferiority complex and the way to filters into the way everyone thinks and talks about the Bills.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-08-2013, 04:01 PM
marrone said he currently likes the two guys they have now at guard in legursky and brown. they will obviously battleit out in preseason. i think brown will win it...

glenn/brown/wood/urbik/pears welch/young/legursky/hairston

BillsImpossible
08-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Glenn has been having major problems stopping Jerry Hughes all throughout training camp.

His weakness has been handling speed rushers off the edge.

The Bills coaching staff can either try to fix Glenn's weakness at left tackle, or move him to guard. They don't have much time to make up their minds, and they don't want to interrupt Glenn's development at tackle either. It's a dicey situation.

I think it all depends on how good Welch really is, and we're going to find out soon. If Welch can handle the starting LT position, the Bills could make the switch...but I think it's a stretch to hope Welch can start at LT, who knows though? I've no idea how Welch did in practice with the 1's.

If Glenn continues to get beat off the edge by Jerry Hughes, they could be forced to make the switch.

Glenn was a good left tackle as a rookie, but he wasn't dominant. Could he be a great guard?

If Glenn gets beat by a speed rusher off the edge against the Colts, I think Marrone will make the switch if Welch does what it takes to earn the coach's trust.

I trust Marrone to make the right decision because he's a former NFL lineman and knows better than anyone.

Perhaps all Marrone is doing is lighting a fire under their asses?

Whatever happens, I like the message Marrone is sending to his players on the old o-line.

SpikedLemonade
08-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Glenn has been having major problems stopping Jerry Hughes all throughout training camp.

His weakness has been handling speed rushers off the edge.

Wasn't that the report on him coming out of college and why they thought he would be a Guard only?

DraftBoy
08-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Wasn't that the report on him coming out of college and why they thought he would be a Guard only?

Yup.

That and he was an All-American OG with good feet, strong hands, and the ability to pull and get outside.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Glenn is fine, in fact outstanding considering it's only his 2nd year. reminds me of willie roaf. please stop