PDA

View Full Version : RJ to do pbp until 2016, Dunleavey will be the new voice of the Sabres after 2016

DetDannyWilliams
08-08-2013, 07:40 AM
per text from WGR550550 Sabres Hall of Fame voice Rick Jeanneret signs on with team for 3 more years. Dan Dunleavey named new voice after 2016 season.

rbochan
08-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I like this move... it lets RJ go out gracefully, with an above-average replacement waiting in the wings. Now, how ironic is it that the most exciting news from the team this off-season regards the freakin' play-by-play?

DetDannyWilliams
08-08-2013, 11:37 AM
“This decision was obviously very difficult for me to make,” Jeanneret said. “It has become a yearly deliberation, deciding if the coming year would be my last or what season I would finally step away. I initially thought doing a full year of games this coming season and then retiring was the way to go. After discussing it with my family and with the Sabres, we all thought signing this new deal was the right choice. I get to continue to do what I love while slowly reducing my workload and eventually turning the reins over to Dan, who I greatly respect and believe Sabres fans will grow to love.”

<tbody>

</tbody>
Dunleavy, who comes to the Sabres from the Toronto Maple Leafs’ broadcasting team, will begin his substitute play-by-play duties this season, filling in for games that Jeanneret takes off. In addition to his play-by-play duties, Dunleavy will serve as on-air talent for Sabres pre- and post-game broadcasts and will have a substantial presence onSabres.com.

“I am excited and honored to join the Sabres organization and its tremendous broadcasting team,” Dunleavy said. “I’m excited because it’s well known that Buffalo is a hockey-crazy city that adores its hockey team. It makes being a broadcaster so much more thrilling when you know that the fans are on the edge of their seats while watching their team. And I’m honored that I get an opportunity to work with and learn from one of the best play-by-play announcers hockey has ever seen in Rick. He is the pinnacle of our profession and I’m humbled that I will be following in his legendary footsteps.”
Prior to joining the Maple Leafs’ broadcast, Dunleavy spent 19 years at Sportsnet Radio and The Fan 590 Toronto. In addition to filling in as a play-by-play voice for the Sabres in the 2010-11 season, Dunleavy’s experience includes nine years of play-by-play of the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship, the 2008 IIHF World Hockey Championship in Halifax and Quebec City, the 2010 Vancouver Olympics Men’s and Women’s Hockey, the OHL’s Mississauga Majors, and Canadian Hockey League and American Hockey League games on Rogers Sportsnet. The Toronto native has also called soccer and lacrosse games, serving as the play-by-play voice for the National Lacrosse League’s Toronto Rock on The Fan 590 and is the radio and television play-by-play voice for Toronto FC on Sportsnet TV/Radio and TSN 1050 Radio. http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=679827&navid=DL|BUF|home

ckg927
08-08-2013, 12:36 PM
The Sabres broadcasts will be in good hands for the foreseeable future.

AND it lets RJ go out on his terms.

WagonCircler
08-08-2013, 03:16 PM
VERY happy and grateful for another 3 seasons of the best hockey announcer ever.

Not so happy that he'll be succeeded with a so-so announcer.

At least it's not Sylvester (nice guy--not a play by play man).

DetDannyWilliams
08-08-2013, 04:21 PM
here's a game that he filled in for Jeanneret back in 2010, kinda reminds me of the Late Ted Darling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw2_ipGxZuU&feature=player_embeddedoh and I forgot how bad LaLime was :rolleyes:

tampabay25690
08-08-2013, 06:54 PM
I do know the sabres made him an offer he could not refuse!!!!
He was probably going to hang it up too...

DetDannyWilliams
08-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Per Paul Hamilton Harry Neale has been fired, Sabres looking for radio play-by-play guy for 2016 and games will no longer be simulcast starting in 2016

ckg927
08-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Per Paul Hamilton Harry Neale has been fired, Sabres looking for radio play-by-play guy for 2016 and games will no longer be simulcast starting in 2016

Next question: Who do the Sabres get for the radio broadcast team? If this were a few years ago, I'd be the first person to put Don Stevens' name into the mix-however, like RJ, Don's getting up there in years and he can't fire off the vocal pyrotechnics as he used to(Stevens has made mention of this in the past). That said, maybe Buffalo can see if Rick Peckham(current TV voice of the Tampa Bay Lightning-but who, way back when, did Amerks games on TV and radio)is available.

DetDannyWilliams
08-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Next question: Who do the Sabres get for the radio broadcast team? If this were a few years ago, I'd be the first person to put Don Stevens' name into the mix-however, like RJ, Don's getting up there in years and he can't fire off the vocal pyrotechnics as he used to(Stevens has made mention of this in the past). That said, maybe Buffalo can see if Rick Peckham(current TV voice of the Tampa Bay Lightning-but who, way back when, did Amerks games on TV and radio)is available.[/QUOTE]

I got it the Sabres should bring back John Gurtler he didn't do to bad when he did play-by-play for the Sabres on Empire Sports Network from 1992-1995 he was forced out of play-by-play because the games were going to be simulcast he was also the PA announcer for the Bills and he does the play-by-play for the Buffalo Bandits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr3Q_oxVpsE&feature=player_embedded#at=2529 Also what's the deal with the Sabres wearing the away jerseys at the Aud no doubt and Hartford wearing the whites?

WagonCircler
08-18-2013, 09:21 AM
I'd love it if Terry P decided to throw a lot of cash at Chuck Kaiton, the current Canes (longtime Whalers) radio guy. I detest the Canes, but the guy is excellent.