PDA

View Full Version : John Gruden on EJ Manuel

BillsImpossible
08-08-2013, 08:02 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GkRIqTUzCwk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chucky on EJ.

On a side note, just thinking about the read option..."Run, EJ, run!"

If coach Marrone can teach EJ how to slide like a professional baseball player, I think the Bills are going to be a lot better than last year.

Bangarang
08-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Was that filmed with a calculator?

Skooby
08-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Chucky is a complete dip ****.

better days
08-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Chucky is a complete dip ****.

As a BUCS fan, I LOVE me some Chucky.

l3ills
08-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Gruden could interview Hitler standing next to a nuclear bomb and I'd still laugh. In his words "I Just Love That Guy."

SquishDaFish
08-09-2013, 04:50 AM
One of my favorite coaches

kishoph
08-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Gruden likes talking people up, but there's no denying the man knows football.

TacklingDummy
08-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Wow, EJ took bowling in College. Im impressed now. Championship.

Fletch
08-09-2013, 07:23 AM
LOL

Chucky: "Look at this, left hand right hand, what do you think, you're in the NBA Allstar game."

Pinkerton Security
08-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Gruden likes talking people up, but there's no denying the man knows football.

Yea he pretty much gushes over every single QB that has ever done his QB camp thing but you're right, he does know a lot.

better days
08-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Yea he pretty much gushes over every single QB that has ever done his QB camp thing but you're right, he does know a lot.

I think Gruden brought up a GOOD point when he pointed out Christian Ponder was drafted at #12 by the Vikings & Gruden asked EJ if he was better than Ponder.

Anyone that thinks EJ was drafted too high is CRAZY.

ICRockets
08-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Wow, EJ took bowling in College. Im impressed now. Championship.

No, by all means, it's better to focus on that than the thing he said 10 seconds earlier about taking Masters-level courses.

OpIv37
08-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I think Gruden brought up a GOOD point when he pointed out Christian Ponder was drafted at #12 by the Vikings & Gruden asked EJ if he was better than Ponder.

Anyone that thinks EJ was drafted too high is CRAZY.

Way too early to say that. He could still completely bust.

TacklingDummy
08-09-2013, 01:28 PM
No, by all means, it's better to focus on that than the thing he said 10 seconds earlier about taking Masters-level courses.

When it comes to football I'll take a bowler over Trent Edwards any day of the week.

better days
08-09-2013, 01:30 PM

WAY TOO EARLY for you to say the Bills will have a TERRIBLE season as well, but I don't see that stopping you from doing so.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Didn't we just learn that book smarts don't mean much to a QB?

better days
08-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Didn't we just learn that book smarts don't mean much to a QB?

Being smart with no physical skills is not a good thing for a QB, but being smart & having the physical skills to go with that like EJ does......................................CHAMPIONSHIP.

jimmifli
08-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Which wouldn't mean he was a bad draft pick.

It's not too early to say he was a good pick. He was. I think he was the best QB in the draft, and has the build, tools and attitude of an NFL starter. That makes him a good pick.

Whether he becomes a good player, well that's way to early to say. But picks are judged on the risk/reward, and the reward of a good QB is so high that it's almost always a good pick if you've got room on the roster to develop a QB.

TacklingDummy
08-09-2013, 01:49 PM
WAY TOO EARLY for you to say the Bills will have a TERRIBLE season as well, but I don't see that stopping you from doing so.

Im thinking Op is basing his opinion on the past 12 years.

Until they prove otherwise there's no reason to think this year will be any better. Especially when they gamble on picks like EJ Manuel. Who most everyone outside of Buffalo Bills fans thought was a terrible pick.

better days
08-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Im thinking Op is basing his opinion on the past 12 years.

Until they prove otherwise there's no reason to think this year will be any better. Especially when they gamble on picks like EJ Manuel. Who most everyone outside of Buffalo Bills fans thought was a terrible pick.

Like I said, Ponder was the #12 Pick. Would you rather have him than EJ?

As Jimmifili said, EJ was a GOOD pick period.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Being smart with no physical skills is not a good thing for a QB, but being smart & having the physical skills to go with that like EJ does......................................CHAMPIONSHIP.

lol

I don't care one bit about his college courseload. Ben Roethlisberger is dumber than a bag of hammers and I would take him to QB my team any day.

TacklingDummy
08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Like I said, Ponder was the #12 Pick. Would you rather have him than EJ?

As Jimmifili said, EJ was a GOOD pick period.

C. Neither. Jarvis Jones.

better days
08-09-2013, 02:35 PM
C. Neither. Jarvis Jones.

Yeah because Jarvis Jones would have led the Bills to the Super Bowl LOL.

TacklingDummy
08-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Yeah because Jarvis Jones would have led the Bills to the Super Bowl LOL.

Is Manuel?

better days
08-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Is Manuel?

Well, there is a MUCH BETTER chance EJ will lead the Bills to the Super Bowl at some point than Jones EVER doing so.

TacklingDummy
08-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Well, there is a MUCH BETTER chance EJ will lead the Bills to the Super Bowl at some point than Jones EVER doing so.

That's because you are comparing a QB to LB.

better days
08-09-2013, 07:30 PM

NO, that is because you said you would rather draft a LB than a QB on a QB NEEDY team at a time the Bills had their CHOICE of EVERY QB in the draft & there is NO QUESTION the Bills did their homework before the draft on ALL the QB's in the draft.

Oaf
08-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Is there a TL;DR of this video?

ICRockets
08-09-2013, 11:41 PM

Which is the entire point. We needed a QB. This one is the one we decided had the best chance to take us to the Super Bowl. The value of that potential makes this a GOOD PICK. Whether or not he pans out, that's on him. That's not on the Bills organization. And since we don't have 12 years of EJ Manuel failing in our memories, you think maybe it's okay if we give him the benefit of the doubt?

Mr. Pink
08-10-2013, 01:38 AM
We picked the wrong year, the weakest QB class in I don't even know how many years, to FINALLY decide we needed to go after a QB.

That's the only problem.

EJ Manuel is like drafting Christian Ponder.

Reaching for the sake of reaching because you have to.

Could EJ prove me and some of the other doubters wrong? Obviously. The odds are against it however.

All of this combined with the fact this organization has no clue what it's doing on draft days since Butler was here makes it easy to see why some people who actually follow this team are apprehensive and why everyone who doesn't closely follow this team think it was absolutely stupid.

better days
08-10-2013, 08:35 AM
We picked the wrong year, the weakest QB class in I don't even know how many years, to FINALLY decide we needed to go after a QB.

That's the only problem.

Could EJ prove me and some of the other doubters wrong? Obviously. The odds are against it however.

All of this combined with the fact this organization has no clue what it's doing on draft days since Butler was here makes it easy to see why some people who actually follow this team are apprehensive and why everyone who doesn't closely follow this team think it was absolutely stupid.

The HUGE difference between the Vikings drafting Ponder & the Bills drafting Manuel is that MANUEL was the FIRST QB taken.

And even then the Bills were able to draft him at a lower position than Ponder was & got extra picks in the process.

Despite what you say about the Bills past drafts, I would put Nix's draft record against ANYBODYS & the Bills really did their homework on the QB's in this draft.

Still, the draft is a crapshoot & EJ may not pan out, but by all accounts of people that have been to Bills TC, EJ has impressed everyone that has seen him.

Famous Amos
08-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Was that filmed with a calculator?
Lol

jamze132
08-10-2013, 08:05 PM
NO, that is because you said you would rather draft a LB than a QB on a QB NEEDY team at a time the Bills had their CHOICE of EVERY QB in the draft & there is NO QUESTION the Bills did their homework before the draft on ALL the QB's in the draft.

You don't just take your first pick and draft a QB simply because you NEED one. I looked at this QB class and was immediately ready to go BPA. And no, a QB was not BPA.

The Bills took a huge gamble with Manuel, as well as Marrone.

ICRockets
08-10-2013, 09:31 PM

What odds?

Skooby
08-10-2013, 09:54 PM
I respect Gruden, I just don't think that he's that objective when he's looking at players. He finds reasons to show why they're the best & he gushes over them, all of them. They all can't be as good as he advertises.

feldspar
08-11-2013, 12:20 AM

That's the only problem.

Sooner or later, you have to pull the trigger and take a chance. Every year was the wrong year for the Bills to take a QB, since they are generally picking around #10 or so. I used to think like you do, but this could go on forever. There is always a rationalization NOT to do it. One exception was in 2011, when the Bills picked 3rd...but the next three QBs off the board that year were Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder. We had a shot at all the rest of the QBs in the 2nd round.

What you have to grasp is that picking a QB is not the same as picking any other position...the same rules don't apply. It's a grab and a reach almost always. The demand is too high, and the market is too small in just about any given draft class.

Personally, I was jockeying for Kaepernick and Wilson in those years in the rounds they were picked. I liked them both if only for contingency plans (which we obviously needed), but no team really liked them as franchise material; otherwise, they would have been taken in the first. And it still remains to be seen if they can sustain success.

I kinda wanted to take Landry Jones in the 4th this year too, even after we picked Manuel.

The Bills HAD to take a QB this year, so the pick was a good one. I was shocked they picked E.J., but I can now see why they did, and we'll have to live with that. It's a risk, but what were the alternatives? All in with Kolb? I love that we got Kiko Alonso in the process of moving down, so there is that at least. Can't wait to see that guy play as a Bill.

The risk isn't as big as it used to be before the rookie wage scale, either.

better days
08-11-2013, 01:58 AM
You don't just take your first pick and draft a QB simply because you NEED one. I looked at this QB class and was immediately ready to go BPA. And no, a QB was not BPA.

The Bills took a huge gamble with Manuel, as well as Marrone.

Nix said LONG ago in the process that in his opinion two or three QB's in this class had the ability & potential to be franchise QB's.

Nix & the entire staff did a through evaluation of EVERY QB in this draft class & decided EJ was WORTH the gamble to draft at #16, but even so, the Billls were able to get their guy & pick up extra picks.

I don't give a damn who you think the BPA in this draft class was. If Manuel becomes a GOOD ( he does not have to be great to qualify) QB, then his pick at #16 TRUMPS ALL.

This could well be a draft class you young guys will still be talking about when you get to be my age.

better days
08-11-2013, 02:09 AM
I respect Gruden, I just don't think that he's that objective when he's looking at players. He finds reasons to show why they're the best & he gushes over them, all of them. They all can't be as good as he advertises.

If you watch Grudens show from beginning to end, he not only points out a QB's strengths, but also his weaknesses & where he has to improve to become a GOOD NFL QB.

Not every QB is able to overcome their weaknesses to become GOOD for one reason or another such as lack of arm strength, lack of intelligence, lack of work ethic, lack of character, etc.

Skooby
08-11-2013, 03:10 AM
If you watch Grudens show from beginning to end, he not only points out a QB's strengths, but also his weaknesses & where he has to improve to become a GOOD NFL QB.

Not every QB is able to overcome their weaknesses to become GOOD for one reason or another such as lack of arm strength, lack of intelligence, lack of work ethic, lack of character, etc.

I think he gives them false hope, which makes him a dip**** to me. There might be an occasional fix but it's not for everyone, so asking square peg to become round just lead to a false sense of security. We can't teach Kolb to not be made of glass, he's like a beaker in a 7th grade experiment.

I don't fault any troubles in his family, I just think he's incapable of handling the violence that NFL play dishes out. We literally put him on a shelf last season & then hired him, it's crazy even hoping that he'll be ok for duty.

better days
08-11-2013, 08:00 AM
I think he gives them false hope, which makes him a dip**** to me. There might be an occasional fix but it's not for everyone, so asking square peg to become round just lead to a false sense of security. We can't teach Kolb to not be made of glass, he's like a beaker in a 7th grade experiment.

I don't fault any troubles in his family, I just think he's incapable of handling the violence that NFL play dishes out. We literally put him on a shelf last season & then hired him, it's crazy even hoping that he'll be ok for duty.

STUPID post. What the hell are you talking about? Kolb was not even the subject of that video. Did you even watch it?

Gruden pointed out to EJ that he has to protect the ball better & make better decisions. How is that asking square peg to become round?

TacklingDummy
08-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Doing their homework doesn't mean they picked the right or wrong one. Im sure they did their homework on Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Colin Kapernick, Russell Wilson too.

better days
08-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Doing their homework doesn't mean they picked the right or wrong one. Im sure they did their homework on Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Colin Kapernick, Russell Wilson too.

You are JOKING right? You REALLY think the Bills put as much effort in scouting Trent, JP, Kaepernick & Wilson as they did Manuel? And we heard NOTHING about it?

Nix wanted to plug the MANY holes on this Bills team before drafting a QB which he did. He also wanted to draft a FRANCHISE QB for the Bills before he retired.................time will tell about that.

But I like EJ's chances to become that franchise QB & if he does it will cement Nix as second only to Polian as GM's of the Bills ....................to the chagrin of many people on this board.

Mr. Pink
08-11-2013, 10:24 AM
What odds?

The fact that most first round QBs are busts. And that we decided to take a first round QB in the weakest QB class draft in years.

TacklingDummy
08-11-2013, 11:17 AM
You are JOKING right? You REALLY think the Bills put as much effort in scouting Trent, JP, Kaepernick & Wilson as they did Manuel? And we heard NOTHING about it?

I sure would hope so considering they drafted 2 of them.

better days
08-11-2013, 12:21 PM
I sure would hope so considering they drafted 2 of them.

Yeah, well that was BEFORE Nix.

You do know Nix upgraded the scouting dept. right?

TacklingDummy
08-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah, well that was BEFORE Nix.

You do know Nix upgraded the scouting dept. right?

LOL, have you seen the Bills past 3 drafts?

better days
08-12-2013, 01:17 PM
LOL, have you seen the Bills past 3 drafts?

Yes & I am HAPPY with them.

Nix did fail to draft a QB before this year, but it is possible Manuel becomes better than QB's that were drafted in the last 3 years. Time will tell.