Will the Bills be "ready" for the season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Will the Bills be "ready" for the season?

Marrone has not handled the team like most coaches do.

Usually, HC's are so worried about injuries they coddle their squad. They don't run much live hitting or long scrimmages. They also don't run up tempo. In the scrimmage alone the offense ran 120+ plays. He's got them out their running up tempo at 8AM. He has them running hard all day. Will they be physically ready to hit the ground running?

Pettine isn't going vanilla. Most coaches run vanilla and in the past the Bills have looked clueless and sloppy in openers. Are the two related? Does playing your real defense in the preseason help your team be ready to play it with minimal mental errors on opening day? I think it might. It's different and I think I like that.

Marrone is bucking the other trypical trend by playing his starters as much as a whole game. I think he'll back off from that and who knows how far. But, it's different than playing a series or two and that's the point. Will this again help the starters to be ready to play better football on opening day?

To me, this is a new and exciting way to approach the season. He's working them hard, demanding they get up early and get going, practicing up tempo, getting them lots of reps, and playing real schemes... It could all pay off with the Bills looking like they are seasoned on their first game day. Chances are good we may still see some mistakes. But, the approach is sound and the team should be conditioned. I'm hopeful that we will be competitive with the Pats in that first game and set a tone for a decent season.

• IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: Will the Bills be "ready" for the season?

I can see your point, but I suspect you'd be signing a different tune if someone blows out Spiller's ACL during one of these up tempo practices. Either strategy has its risks.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      Legendary Zoner
      • May 2009

I'm ready for the season. Go Bills.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Wouldn't they be MORE ready in this scenario?

They conceivably should be in better shape and used to harder hitting than teams that been soft in training camp.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
          Sab and TD are insignificant
          • Sep 2002

I hope so. I would love to see us leave the Vaseline at home and rape the pats.
          www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

for a veteran team you might want to use a softer approach but for one with brand new everything just trying to get off the ground its probably for the better they be pushed right now

really we will only be able to tell after a couple years min whether marrones style will work or not. even moobs rise and shine bullhorn was universally praised at one point and now we just make fun of it. both 'soft' and 'hard' coaching can work, long term results are the only way to know
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Famous Amos
              • Jul 2013

It was absolutely infuriating watching Jaurons team ( and to a lesser extent, Bailey's) in the preseason because ypu'knew they wouldn't be ready for week one. Why? Because they didn't practice tackling in training camp, which I believe put them behind the eightball when the regular season came. Whatever they were trying to do in preseason didn't work because time management was a disaster during the regular season. Players still didn't know their roles. Tons of mental mistakes plagued the teams the past few years. I always felt that with Jauron and Gailey, the Bills needed two to three games during the regular season to get their **** together. It was as if the preseason was pointless. Its embarrassing that your team isn't prepared to start the season.

Lets hope Marone is different.
              "Hate is a lack of imagination."
              -Graham Greene

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
                Wouldn't they be MORE ready in this scenario?

They conceivably should be in better shape and used to harder hitting than teams that been soft in training camp.
                That's what I said.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                  • Jul 2002

History shows that what the Bills were doing in the past didn't work. I like Marrone's approach.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    I can see your point, but I suspect you'd be signing a different tune if someone blows out Spiller's ACL during one of these up tempo practices. Either strategy has its risks.
                    Well there have been MANY injuries on other teams. I doubt anyone is going harder than the Bills in TC so I say your injury theory is a bunch of hooey.

The only real injury in Bills camp has been when Kolb was going from one field to another & it was minor.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                      Well there have been MANY injuries on other teams. I doubt anyone is going harder than the Bills in TC so I say your injury theory is a bunch of hooey.

The only real injury in Bills camp has been when Kolb was going from one field to another & it was minor.
                      So you just make up whatever you want to justify your opinion? The Bills didn't invent tough practices and they aren't the only team running an up tempo training camp. Jauron and Gailey ran their TCs the way they did for a reason - to avoid injuries. And they were reasonably successful at that. It's easy to be rah-rah about practices when no one is getting hurt.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                        • Sep 2008

They'll be ready. They just won't be very good.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

So you just make up whatever you want to justify your opinion? The Bills didn't invent tough practices and they aren't the only team running an up tempo training camp. Jauron and Gailey ran their TCs the way they did for a reason - to avoid injuries. And they were reasonably successful at that. It's easy to be rah-rah about practices when no one is getting hurt.
                          What?

Both Jauron and Gailey had teams that were at the top of the league as far as injuries goes. The number 19 on IR stands out to me.

20 on IR in 2009- http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4801865
                          Dec 21, 2011- 15 players on IR- http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011...s-fred-jackson

No, they aren't the only team running up tempo but there aren't a lot of teams doing it. And how many of those teams also run 120+ plays in a scrimmage against themselves, plan to play their starters a lot in the preseason, and also plan to not go vanilla on defense?

As a whole this is a very different approach to the preseason and IMO atypical in the NFL.
                          Last edited by X-Era; 08-11-2013, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

What the hell did I make up? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Did I say the Bills invented tough practices? NO!

Did I say the Bills were the only team running an up tempo TC? NO, although very few are.

Talk about making things up! X-Era pointed out already YOU MAKE STUFF UP. Enough said.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

To your point here... I always worry that a key player will be lost for the year to an injury. It seems like that happens about every year.

But then if it happens almost every year and it happens again this year, I wouldn't be able to point to working them too hard as the reason.

No, I won't be ticked at the approach we took if Spiller goes down.

Comment

Working...
                              X