PDA

View Full Version : 35-44.... 319.... 3, 0

BidsJr
08-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Not sure we could have done that at practice the last few years.

84 plays from scrimmage.

OP, please give us a reality check in 3...2...1..

ublinkwescore
08-11-2013, 05:33 PM
We have had the talent to be a playoff caliber team, we may very well have added a couple quality qbs, and now, it would appear that we have a competent coaching staff. Let's hope this translates over to the regular season. If so, we could at least take a wild card spot, if not the division.

Meathead
08-11-2013, 05:36 PM
and the superbowl baby! woo hoo world champs!!

MidnightVoice
08-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Very cautiuos optimism - we might win 8 games

DraftBoy
08-11-2013, 06:34 PM
EJ's first three drives was the scary stuff that was the bad of when he was at FSU. His 2 minute drive seemed to finally have his mind in the right place and he was humming the ball. That will be what our offense will look like when running right. They will take some shots up top but its not going to be a huge part of this offense. Run to set up the pass, beat the LB's in the 5-10 yard zone, and then when D is loading the box you go up top.

BidsJr
08-11-2013, 06:39 PM
EJ's first three drives was the scary stuff that was the bad of when he was at FSU. His 2 minute drive seemed to finally have his mind in the right place and he was humming the ball. That will be what our offense will look like when running right. They will take some shots up top but its not going to be a huge part of this offense. Run to set up the pass, beat the LB's in the 5-10 yard zone, and then when D is loading the box you go up top.

If that is the worst I have to watch, it is still a massive upgrade since Trent got his eggs scrambled vs the Cardinals.

JoeMama
08-11-2013, 06:43 PM
EJ Manuel was pretty shaky the first three possessions. He seemed nervous and unsure of himself.

I like that he shook out the loose hairs and played well in the 2 minute drill but it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers at that point.

The stat line may look nice but it comes with a grain of salt. He needs more reps.

BidsJr
08-11-2013, 06:49 PM
EJ Manuel was pretty shaky the first three possessions. He seemed nervous and unsure of himself.

I like that he shook out the loose hairs and played well in the 2 minute drill but it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers at that point.

The stat line may look nice but it comes with a grain of salt. He needs more reps.

Just to be clear, I agree with all of this. But considering he is a rookie in his first action against an opposing D. I am happy, happy happy. If it takes him until week 1 next year to play calm and confident we are still going to be very pleased. The fact that he looked like that at ALL today is something to be encouraged by.

Gilly
08-11-2013, 07:25 PM
On a couple of his throws EJ seemed to "aim" it in there rather than just throw it..

Other than that he looked solid. Tuel is the steal of this year's draft...

X-Era
08-11-2013, 07:26 PM
If that is the worst I have to watch, it is still a massive upgrade since Trent got his eggs scrambled vs the Cardinals.In real football or the preseason?

EJ didn't light it up. He played solid but not great.

BidsJr
08-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Yes he played solid, as a rookie in his first time out. With the threat of CJ for like 4 plays and no Stevie.

I'll take it and be encouraged. tyvm

NOT THE DUDE...
08-11-2013, 07:37 PM
yeah, ej was pretty fricken solid for it being his 1st nfl start ever. rusty at first, then settled down and really looked like a legit franchise qb... if there was one thing I noticed, and it's hard to articulate, he doesn't look like he has happy feet, or deer in the headlights, ( even when he was struggling a bit). he just has great poise and confidence. a great great sign for a young qb. im pretty sure we are keeping 3 qbs now lol. thought the d was solid, with much more pressure finally. dowtin and hughes could cause major major problems opposite Mario with their speed and edge pass rush ability... jarron gilbert has some big pressures and teased with great athletic ability. Goodwin might literally be the next joey Galloway like I said lol. I think we will see a more realistic offense in week 2 and 3 or the preseason. was a little frustrated not so much with ej the 1st few series, but that they didn't throw it on 1st down. but that is to be expected in the preseason....

NOT THE DUDE...
08-11-2013, 07:39 PM
for example, the screen play to Jackson was obvious on the 1st series 3rd and long. that's a play you run on 1st down. but in the preseason, many times coaches will call something when it has nothing to do with winning but more so how it can look for various reasons....

elltrain22
08-11-2013, 08:24 PM
In all fairness, the first 3 possessions, we were pretty backed up in our own end. Pretty tough for a rook to come in his first game, on the road, and move the chains deep in your own zone.

Mr. Pink
08-11-2013, 08:36 PM
EJ had a solid 2 minute drill drive...the rest was pretty crappy.

trapezeus
08-11-2013, 08:39 PM
it was a good start. i don't think the coaches are going to walk into practice tomorrow and say "excellent"

They struggled early. they had the high tempo, but didn't do much passing wise on those first couple drives. if the defense was on a 53 man roster, the colts could have exhausted us.

But on the positive side, i liked that the defense the entire game was cerebral. the front four knew that when they were allowed untouched to the QB that it was a screen and to diagnose that play. Last year's bills would not have done that. and even in the fourth quarter, the defense was doing that, so the coaching seems to be a huge upgrade.

offense, tuel looked great. kolb is expendable. especially with all the receivers looking so good. if there is an injury to a wide out, i'd rather keep an extra one of those than try to squeeze tuel into the practice squad for kolb who can't stay healthy. Kolb will really have to play lights out from here and tuel will have to start looking like a rookie. he just looked unphased. maybe he doesn't have the tools to be the best against NFL starters, but he doesn't look like a guy who is easily rattled and could manage a game.

I would like to see hopkins kick some fieldgoals from 40+ and unseed lindell. i've been done with Fancy I since 2005. that being said, i want a guy who is good

For a first preseason game, the bills finally looked capable. i think they got to keep improving, but i liked what i saw. and for the first time, we don't have to make excuses like, "we didn't game plan, etc" to keep hope alive. they legitimately looked like an NFL team...which of course is a huge upgrade from years past.

imbondz
08-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Our 1st team for the most part beat they're 2nd and 3rd team.

jills
08-11-2013, 09:07 PM
yeah, ej was pretty fricken solid for it being his 1st nfl start ever. rusty at first, then settled down and really looked like a legit franchise qb...

LOL

By throwing 5 yard passes against the 3rd string defense?

Let's wait until the regular season before we start calling him a franchise QB.

mightysimi
08-11-2013, 10:04 PM
LOL

Would have been worse if he didn't complete the passes against the 3rd stringers. He was supposed to light up the 2nd or 3rd stringers and he did. Moving on.

BidsJr
08-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Would have been worse if he didn't complete the passes against the 3rd stringers. He was supposed to light up the 2nd or 3rd stringers and he did. Moving on.

Signed Smith, Nassib, Barkley, Jones and the rest of the Rook QB's that didn't light anything up.

TacklingDummy
08-11-2013, 10:33 PM
LOL

Thought I read somewhere he completed 3 passes over 9 yards. Trent Edward II.

DraftBoy
08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
If that is the worst I have to watch, it is still a massive upgrade since Trent got his eggs scrambled vs the Cardinals.

A QB without confidence will be a huge concern moving forward. The practice reports this week and next Friday's game will show if he can build off his final drive or not. The OL did him no favors either.

Historian
08-12-2013, 07:50 AM
I thought both our QBs looked pretty good....poised, making good decisions with the ball, etc.

EJ has a nice fastball, as evidenced by the TD.

What I liked about yesterday, is that it seemed everybody's head was in the game. Clock management, knowing when to step out of bounds to save time, knowing when to ditch the ball to avoid a sack, knowing where the first down markers were. I know it sounds silly to praise them for those things, but in all fairness, we have not seen that type of mental intutiveness from the Bills since.....probably the Mularkey days.

In fact, the only thing I can faul;t the Bills for yesterday, was Marrone's failure to challenge that one spot, which would have forced Indy to punt.

I saw receivers catching balls that would have been dropped last year.

I saw a big QB who knows when to tuck and run.

I saw a return unit that was on fire.

I saw a RB who is about to burst into superstardom. He just has an extra gear. Look for a 1500 yard season.

I also saw the refs hose us on the fumble. If that were Brady, it would have been a forward pass.

They look like a pro football team.

mightysimi
08-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Thought I read somewhere he completed 3 passes over 9 yards. Trent Edward II.

Easy Tiger get off the ledge. We know the system has west coast roots, what would you expect, all bombs all the time? I mean why would you want to get a QB's confidence up before having him air it out? I am willing to give more than one half of football before I panic.