PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jackson

Buffalo Thriller
08-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Fred Jackson has lost his step it would seem, CJ taking over #1 stop is well deserved and I can only see Jackson being used for 3rd down or goal line situations.

GvilleBills
08-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Im very happy with our backfield. Gaskins seems to like running into the back of lineman and trying to push the pile. Was hoping to see more from him, so Choice seems safe.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Au contraire.

Last year you could have easily made that case, but in what little action Jackson saw today, he looked just as good as ever.

Keep in mind, Tashard Choice and some rookie whose name I can't remember now got practically all the snaps in the second half and a good chunk of the second quarter. Perhaps you are confusing their lukewarm performances with Jackson's.

mrbojanglezs
08-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Fred looked slow but he was never fast.

Buffalo Thriller
08-11-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't know if Jackson looked as good as ever, but he is not a first option anymore.

Meathead
08-11-2013, 06:11 PM
lol theres no way you could make a determination like that from those few plays. we wouldnt be able to know that until after a few real games

but with that said, i fully expect freddie to hit the wall harder than amanda bynes wants to punch her parents right now. as far as i know he doesnt have some magical running back fairy that can simply wave a fried chicken leg and have him avoid the inevitable massive sudden decline that post-30 rbs always make

yeah its fun to pretend your guy will be the next great rb to beat father time but for how that turns out just ask the fans of shaun alexander, priest holmes, lt, etc etc etc

sure as honey boo boo has morbid obesity in her future, so will a rb faceplant into the post-30 wall very soon after hitting that mark. freddie already got his extra year, he aint getting another

Buffalo Thriller
08-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Especially coming off two knee surgeries.

JoeMama
08-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Fast Freddy looked fine to me. He's a grinder.

He should be our #2 (like he should have been last year) and he'll fill the role well.

Dude's been nothing but a consummate professional since the day he stepped on the field. He's a great compliment to Spiller and a fantastic handcuff if Spiller gets hurt. You keep him no matter what. Don't let it brook any further argument.

X-Era
08-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Fred Jackson has lost his step it would seem, CJ taking over #1 stop is well deserved and I can only see Jackson being used for 3rd down or goal line situations.
He's a cut candidate. He's slow and unproductive at this point. His vision and ability to find room to run was his asset. It looks to me like he's got the vision but just can't get to the open spots anymore.

I'd go with youth and better speed. Gaskins has nice vision and reminds me of a young F Jax actually but with better size and quick's.

He's a fan favorite and a great guy. But, if he can't be the part two of a one two punch he's not worth the money. Call me ahead of the curve but he's not the same anymore; he's done.

Meathead
08-11-2013, 06:35 PM
theres a reason why a lot of really good starting rbs become third down guys if they catch well even in their late twenties, bc thats when you want the guy who can make all the right choices not necessarily hit the hole and be gone. its most important for a third-down guy to pick the right hole, make the key block, catch the key pass. but you aint gonna rely on them play in and play out bc they simply dont have neither that kind of gas nor the burst

freddie was definitely slower last season but that was mostly after his injury so i didnt feel it was fair to judge his wall status then. but hes gotta be hitting it reeal soon now, even if he hasnt already. should be an excellent third down option for the next couple as long as more injuries dont slow him down again, a distinct possibility

X-Era
08-11-2013, 06:43 PM
theres a reason why a lot of really good starting rbs become third down guys if they catch well even in their late twenties, bc thats when you want the guy who can make all the right choices not necessarily hit the hole and be gone. its most important for a third-down guy to pick the right hole, make the key block, catch the key pass. but you aint gonna rely on them play in and play out bc they simply dont have neither that kind of gas nor the burst

freddie was definitely slower last season but that was mostly after his injury so i didnt feel it was fair to judge his wall status then. but hes gotta be hitting it reeal soon now, even if he hasnt already. should be an excellent third down option for the next couple as long as more injuries dont slow him down again, a distinct possibility
I just don't see it anymore with him. Can he catch? sure. And in an open field he can get you a few in that situation. What he can't do anymore is find open spots in a stacked line and get 3-4 yards with vision, patience, and quicks. And unfortunately he's going to get those sort of carries.

I just don't know that we lose that much by going with younger legs and a guy with good quicks, good hands, and decent vision. Do we have that young guy right now? Not a slam dunk yet. But Gaskins has upside and Choice has a bit more in the tank at this point. I think RB is a legit possibility for next years draft in a mid-round considering Spiller would be going into a contract year and we need a young #2 RB right now.

Meathead
08-11-2013, 06:55 PM
true but i think they want freddie to help settle the team, which they sure will need this year. as long as his production is reasonably good he might be worth more than another youngun. they gotta have those guys somewhere, and one usually has to be a qb of some kind. stevie tries to lead but hes still too awkward in that role. freddies the man there

just think of him as the chris kelsay of the offense

X-Era
08-11-2013, 07:00 PM
true but i think they want freddie to help settle the team, which they sure will need this year. as long as his production is reasonably good he might be worth more than another youngun. they gotta have those guys somewhere, and one usually has to be a qb of some kind. stevie tries to lead but hes still too awkward in that role. freddies the man there

just think of him as the chris kelsay of the offense
That's actually exactly who I thought of... And many were pissed at how long he was still with the team. Leadership is critical but if he's going to cost us 1st downs because he just can't get that extra yard or two anymore it's potentially a significant choice just to add leadership.

Bangarang
08-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Fred Jackson has been disrespected his entire career and always performs. I doubt things will change.

Scumbag College
08-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I want to see more of Jackson before the Bills get rid of him. Make him the primary RB in the first half the next two weeks...we know that CJ is ready to go and has the potential for a huge year if he can stay healthy. I want to see if Fred can withstand some real work and either he shakes off the ring rust or he's just taken too much of a beating over the past few years. I'm such a huge fan of Fred's (most people on here are) and it pains me to think of the Bills cutting him during the preseason. I think with so many rookies and young players that are going to be on the offensive side of the ball that you need a veteran like him to be there for the younger guys. Plus, if CJ goes down for an extended period than it would be Choice and Gaskins, and I'm not liking that scenario.

Skooby
08-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Fred who ?

pmoon6
08-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Hmm What did Fred have? Two runs and two screen. The one he took for 12 yards. HE hasn't lost anything and even if he has, how can you tell with so little work?

If you give Spiller the ball 25 times a game, prepare the training room and a have a stretcher standing by on the sideline. The target for me is 16-18 carries. 4 or 5 passes. Fred gives a change of pace and he sill have the tools. He runs smart and still cuts well, you so it on that screen play. We need two good backs and have them.

Cutting Fred Jackson would be a foolish move. But go ahead morons. Belichick will sign him in a heartbeat.

X-Era
08-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Hmm What did Fred have? Two runs and two screen. The one he took for 12 yards. HE hasn't lost anything and even if he has, how can you tell with so little work?

If you give Spiller the ball 25 times a game, prepare the training room and a have a stretcher standing by on the sideline. The target for me is 16-18 carries. 4 or 5 passes. Fred gives a change of pace and he sill have the tools. He runs smart and still cuts well, you so it on that screen play. We need two good backs and have them.

Cutting Fred Jackson would be a foolish move. But go ahead morons. Belichick will sign him in a heartbeat.
Wow, someone's posts are pissy.

Show me how Jackson is a proven #2 or better yet a 1b.

I'm not seeing the production, speed, stamina, or quicks to make that argument. Please show me where I'm wrong. What data are you using?

3 carries for 3 yards and 2 catches for 6 yards doesn't inspire me. Sorry.

Ginger Vitis
08-11-2013, 08:46 PM
It wouldn't go over well in the locker room if Jackson was cut now.. Just like it was a mistake to cut Moorman 3 games into the season the vets last year were reportedly pissed a captain would get cut after 3 games.. Wait until the season is over and contemplate replacing Jackson next offseason

justasportsfan
08-11-2013, 08:49 PM
If you guys were able to gather all that in 1 preseason game then Tuel is headed to Canton.

Oaf
08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
What data are you using?

:lolcry:

justasportsfan
08-11-2013, 08:58 PM

you're using preseason stat vs. what FJ did on actual gameday in the past? Really? People were talking League MVP prior to Fj's injury. I know that's in the past but one preseason? Really?

X-Era
08-11-2013, 09:01 PM
you're using preseason stat vs. what FJ did on actual gameday in the past? Really? People were talking League MVP prior to Fj's injury. I know that's in the past but one preseason? Really?So you want to use last years stats?

I mean I can't exactly project a few games to a whole year can I?

So he had 437 yards in 8 games started... So, he'd end up under 1K for the year?

I mean people really like Tim Tebow too...

justasportsfan
08-11-2013, 09:03 PM
So you want to use last years stats?

I mean I can't exactly project a few games to a whole year can I?

so you're telling me that Easely is going to be our no.1 and stay healthy all year if you use todays preseason game and forget last year?

All I'm saying todays game is neither here nor there.

X-Era
08-11-2013, 09:05 PM
so you're telling me that Easely is going to be our no.1 and stay healthy all year if you use todays preseason game and forget last year?

All I'm saying todays game is neither here nor there.Who's forgetting last year?

I'm simply saying I think we can get 3.8 yards a carry from a backup RB who plays half the year for a lot less than 3.7 mill in cap dollars.

justasportsfan
08-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Who's forgetting last year?

I'm simply saying I think we can get 3.8 yards a carry from a backup RB who plays half the year for a lot less than 3.7 mill in cap dollars.

I will NOT depend on an unproven rookie at this point over a proven FJ in case anything happens to Spiller. FJ is also the BEST blocking rb in the league.Thats a plus if we end up starting a rookie qb or a china doll vet in Kolb. LAst I check we have tons of cap space

X-Era
08-11-2013, 09:16 PM
I will NOT depend on an unproven rookie at this point over a proven FJ in case anything happens to Spiller. FJ is also the BEST blocking rb in the league.Thats a plus if we end up starting a rookie qb or a china doll vet in Kolb. LAst I check we have tons of cap spaceAgreed. Lots of room. Maybe we can add someone younger.

Ginger Vitis
08-11-2013, 09:16 PM
for a lot less than 3.7 mill in cap dollars.

This would b e a good point in March but 3 weeks until the season starts.. Not really a issue

justasportsfan
08-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Agreed. Lots of room. Maybe we can add someone younger.

I'm all for adding a younger rb . But don't do it based on what you saw in todays game. Otherwise, Tuel is the next Brady.

Meathead
08-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Tuel is the next Brady.

this is going in my sig

NOT THE DUDE...
08-12-2013, 12:39 AM
are we keeping a fullback? I guess its summers vs gaskins

TrEd FTW
08-12-2013, 04:21 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif

Night Train
08-12-2013, 05:08 AM
If Spiller gets hurt, we'll be happy to have Fred J as a fallback option.

He can still catch the swing pass and slice through traffic.

We certainly don't need to get under the cap. Why do we need to cut FJ ?

X-Era
08-12-2013, 05:58 AM
this is going in my sig
I'd rather go with "Brady is a Tuel"

pmoon6
08-12-2013, 06:25 AM

I'm not seeing the production, speed, stamina, or quicks to make that argument. Please show me where I'm wrong. What data are you using?

3 carries for 3 yards and 2 catches for 6 yards doesn't inspire me. Sorry.Who cares if you're not inspired. We don't know if Fred is still being nagged by his injury and 5 touches aren't a fair work specimen to draw any kind of conclusion on. He deserves all of camp to see if he can come back. but since we are all guessing here, I think me makes the team and with be a very good third down back.

Thief
08-12-2013, 07:44 AM
5 Preseason touches and dudes wanna cut Fred Jackson? That is a "Come on man" moment.

justasportsfan
08-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Over reaction after 1 preseason game happens all the time. I'm keeping my reactions in check.

13-3 baby !!!!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2013, 07:55 AM
He's a cut candidate. He's slow and unproductive at this point. His vision and ability to find room to run was his asset. It looks to me like he's got the vision but just can't get to the open spots anymore.

I'd go with youth and better speed. Gaskins has nice vision and reminds me of a young F Jax actually but with better size and quick's.

He's a fan favorite and a great guy. But, if he can't be the part two of a one two punch he's not worth the money. Call me ahead of the curve but he's not the same anymore; he's done.

I couldn't imagine them cutting Fred.

At worst he can be a goaline 3rd down option.

No possible way they would cut him.

He can still grind tough yards.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2013, 07:57 AM
I am fine with a young option over Choice.

Jan Reimers
08-12-2013, 07:59 AM
You really can't make hard and fast judgments after the first preseason game, but it has been obvious that Spiller will get most of the carries, and Freddie will be his backup. There is no reason to cut him, when Choice is a journeyman.

We may need to carry only 3 RBs, and no true FB, if Gaskins can be a hybrid RB/FB. This would free up a spot for another WR, TE, or DB, where we seem to have some good young talent vying for limited roster spots.

Historian
08-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Fred Jackson is to this team, what Robb Riddick was to the 87 and 88 teams.

The guy does whatever he's asked and does it to the best of his ability.

I like the 1-2 punch.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-12-2013, 09:08 AM

Choice (Mr. 3 yards a carry) and the rookies who stunk it up most of the second half weren't exactly inspiring, either.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Yes plus those rookie RBs looked like crap too.

pmoon6
08-12-2013, 09:30 AM

3 carries for 3 yards and 2 catches for 6 yards doesn't inspire me. Sorry.Yeah, I get "pissy" when supposed Bills' fans want to jettison a talent before the jury is in. Must be a young fan who doesn't understand the value of a veteran player.

I'm curious, is it because you want to seem like the smartest guy on the block to be the first to trumpet his demise or do you just like the feel when you wrap yourself in the blanket of stupidity?

better days
08-12-2013, 09:47 AM
People should not dismiss the VALUE Fred has as a blocker.

Fred can run, he can catch passes, but the best thing he does is block.

justasportsfan
08-12-2013, 09:57 AM
People should not dismiss the VALUE Fred has as a blocker.

Fred can run, he can catch passes, but the best thing he does is block.

let's not forget his leadership especially with this young team.

streetkings01
08-12-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm hoping Fred got that fumbling problem fixed.

X-Era
08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I get "pissy" when supposed Bills' fans want to jettison a talent before the jury is in. Must be a young fan who doesn't understand the value of a veteran player.

I'm curious, is it because you want to seem like the smartest guy on the block to be the first to trumpet his demise or do you just like the feel when you wrap yourself in the blanket of stupidity?I'm far from a young fan. And everyone knows I'm a die hard fan. But I won't ignore questionable play even from a fan favorite. It's supposed to be about winning. People here hated us re-signing Kelsay and I remember the Bills at the presser telling everyone that there's more to it than playing... what a leader can mean behind the scenes... He got slammed here for years. And understandably.

This started last season with me. Freddy has lost a step. Gailey started him anyways when he clearly wasn't the best RB anymore. Now, he looks even slower and we will need to use our #2 RB to spell Spiller who will get winded if they plan to run him as much as they say they will. I stated in my draft write up's that I wanted a prospect to challenge him for the job. I still do.

I like him too, don't get me wrong. I'm not someone who just dislikes players. Not my style. I'm a Freddy fan and always have been. But, if he comes in for a series and is consistently giving us 3 and outs, he becomes a liability. This is about a true 1-2 punch where both RB's are threats to get 4 yards plus per carry. I don't see that from Fred anymore. I just don't. If you want to argue his skill at this point that's one thing. But, it seems like some here are saying we need to keep him just because he's a great guy and we all really like him... No we don't.

Skooby
08-12-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm far from a young fan.

This started last season with me. Freddy has lost a step. Gailey started him anyways when he clearly wasn't the best RB anymore. Now, he looks even slower and we will need to use our #2 RB to spell Spiller who will get winded if they plan to run him as much as they say they will. I stated in my draft write up's that I wanted a prospect to challenge him for the job. I still do.

I like him too, don't get me wrong. I'm not someone who just dislikes players. Not my style. I'm a Freddy fan and always have been. But, if he comes in for a series and is consistently giving us 3 and outs, he becomes a liability. This is about a true 1-2 punch where both RB's are threats to get 4 yards plus per carry. I don't see that from Fred anymore. I just don't. If you want to argue his skill at this point that's one thing. But, it seems like some here are saying we need t keep him just because he's a great guy and we all really like him... No we don't.
Fred's lost several steps, keeping him around when you have a speedy team & need roster spots is not the best idea. He's best attributes were vision to find space & the speed to get there, we'll half way isn't going to cut it but it might get him cut.

X-Era
08-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Fred's lost several steps, keeping him around when you have a speedy team & need roster spots is not the best idea. He's best attributes were vision to find space & the speed to get there, we'll half way isn't going to cut it but it might get him cut.New HC, Coords, a young and fast team, and an aging slower RB? It's not far fetched for him to get cut.

Skooby
08-12-2013, 04:38 PM
New HC, Coords, a young and fast team, and an aging slower RB? It's not far fetched for him to get cut.
Not too far fetched at all.