• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

X's Bills vs. Colts Preseason Game 1 Notes

Overall:

Conditioning really showed up. They looked quick and ready to play all game. They played solid technical football; no sign of sloppy play really. A few dumb penalties but overall good in that area. It really looks like they are well coached and ready to play; that the changed approach to the preseason is doing it's job. All eyes are on EJ and he had a decent but unspectacular start. Came out slow with some bad accuracy but picked it up with an efficient 2 minute scoring drive. Kolb could get the start next week where Marrone isn't fully sold yet on EJ and wants to get a real good look at Kolb before making the call. The media can call it over but I think it's still a competition. Spiller was the star even in his few carries. The sky's the limit with him. The up-tempo offense showed signs of catching a defense off guard. The Defense played quick and strong but lacked the pressure we would expect.

Offense- Pass game was blah in the 1st qtr. Spiller was elusive, quick, and looks to be nasty. O-line blocked well all game; EJ had plenty of time. Tuel had a fumble on a pass attempt but no sacks given up (I think). Colin Brown played well all game. F Jax was slow and looks old. Zach Brown was unimpressive. I didn't see good vision, speed, quicks, or patience from him. Gaskins, on the other hand, showed nice vision, patience, and good size. Many young wide receivers produced; Woods, Goodwin, Rogers, Kaufman, Easley, and Sampson. It will be a tough call on who makes the team at wide receiver. I think it could be Stevie, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, and either Easley or Rogers. Gragg and Dickerson made some plays.

Defense- Where's the pressure? Mario sack was a gimme since Costanzo never moved. Hughes with a pass block, a few late sacks. But, the first team pass rush get held at the line way too much. However, they flew to the ball and hit hard. No big gimmes except for Brooks on one play. Alonso is a play-maker but may not be much of a slobber knocker with big stuffs at the line. Lawson looks to be productive and disruptive. Troup was basically non-existant as was the hyped Alex Carrington. Corbin Bryant and Jarron Gilbert made some plays. Blatnick and Dowtin had a few decent moments where they looked solid. Aaron Williams impressed me as did Crezdon Butler and Nickell Robey. Duke Williams and Johnathan Meeks were unimpressive.

Special Teams- Played great all game. They gave up one decent return but Goodwin with 2 kick returns for 106 yards and a TD? Disgusting. Robey was shifty as a punt returner. Lot's of real good open field tackles.

Noteworthy plays:
    Alonso punching the ball out in the endzone
    Lawson tip for a Crez Butler INT
    Brooks beaten badly
    Brooks hard hit to cause a fumble that Searcy picked up
    Brooks stupid taunting penalty
    Brooks awesome tackle as a gunner on ST
    A Williams huge hit
    Hughes jumps early
    Hughes nice pass blocked at the line
    EJ slow start
    EJ big run
    EJ very efficient and solid 2 minute scoring drive
    EJ bad hand off leads to a fumble to CJ
    Hopkins and Powell kicked well
    Hopkins with the inexcusable out of bounds kick
    Goodwin big return followed by 107 yard TD return
    Colin Brown blocked well all day
    Mario sack when Costanzo missed the snap and didn't move
    Where's the first team D pressure... seemed to get stuck on blocks a lot
    Robey shifty in punt returns
    Robey great open field ST tackle
    Butler with a nice pass break-up on 3rd and 6
    Butler nice open field tackle
    So glad Shepp is gone
    Easley with a bunch of back to back pass catches
    K Edwards sack
    Welch two penalties... can't wait for Hairston to get back
    Kaufman a few catches and a nice TD reception
    Gilbert with a nice chop on Harnish
    Gaskins has F Jax like vision
    F Jax looks slow and unproductive... 3.7 mill cap savings?... He's a cut candidate
    Brown really didn't impress
    Tuel poised, confident, and effecient
    Sampson with a nice set of catches
    Sinkfield with a nice gunner ST tackle
    Rolle with a pick 6
    Chris White drills the kick returner on ST

At this point:

Locks to make the team:
    Woods
    Goodwin
    Graham
    Colin Brown
    Tuel

As good as gone:
    Troup
    Chris White
    Sampson

Back from the dead:
    Easley

On the bubble:
    Da'Rick Rogers
    Kaufman
    Legursky
    Welch
    Crez Butler
    Meeks
    Duke Williams
    Lindell
    F-Jax
    Moats

Overall, I came away impressed not by the scoring, big defensive plays, or first team production; I think we were average in those areas. But, more because they looked well coached, very well conditioned, hungry, and ready to play. I like what that may mean for a huge tone setting opener against New England. New England is a juggernaut at playing solid football and they find a way to win more often than not. The Bills will need to be solid if not in mid-season form to go toe to toe with them. But, this team could be very solid if they can keep it up and stay healthy. Still, it's the preseason and there's lot's of it left.
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-11-2013, 07:11 PM.

• dog14787
    • Oct 2010

Re: X's Bills vs. Colts Preseason Game 1 Notes

Well coached, you said it X-Era

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

That was the greatest pre-season game the Bills have ever played.

They still need another off-season to solidify the overall depth.. but if this doesn't give one some long term hope, then pack it in and take up cricket.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
        That was the greatest pre-season game the Bills have ever played.

They still need another off-season to solidify the overall depth.. but if this doesn't give one some long term hope, then pack it in and take up cricket.
        I can't get as enthusiastic over one preseason game. But, I liked what I saw in areas that we could/should be able to evaluate... conditioning, approach to playing, and mental lapses.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
          I can't get as enthusiastic over one preseason game. But, I liked what I saw in areas that we could/should be able to evaluate... conditioning, approach to playing, and mental lapses.
          I can get enthusiastic.

For the 1st time in years, we may have a competent coaching staff that looks like they're not drawing up plays on the fly with patchwork starters and have an actual plan. How refreshing.

I'm looking long term and this gave me plenty of hope.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

I can get enthusiastic.

For the 1st time in years, we may have a competent coaching staff that looks like they're not drawing up plays on the fly with patchwork starters and have an actual plan. How refreshing.

I'm looking long term and this gave me plenty of hope.
            I do like the enthusiasm though.

Something is definitely different and refreshing that is for sure. I'm just being cautious.

Comment

• elltrain22
              • Sep 2003

Great observations. I agree w/ most of your opinions. I don't see how you have F-Jax on the bubble. He's a perfect compliment to Spiller. I'd put Choice on the bubble, and IMO, if we keep 3 rb's, I like Gaskins to be our 3rd rb.

I also would like to say, that was the worst tv coverage on an NFL game ever!! The closeups on punt returns was stupid, the commentators made so many mistakes. At one point, they identified Tashard Choice as McGree, and he plays 3rd team defense! You never knew when there was a flag on the play, down and distance was slow be put up. I don't watch alot of games on the NFL network, but are they all this bad??
              If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                Overall:

Conditioning really showed up. They looked quick and ready to play all game. They played solid technical football; no sign of sloppy play really. A few dumb penalties but overall good in that area. It really looks like they are well coached and ready to play; that the changed approach to the preseason is doing it's job. All eyes are on EJ and he had a decent but unspectacular start. Came out slow with some bad accuracy but picked it up with an efficient 2 minute scoring drive. Kolb could get the start next week where Marrone isn't fully sold yet on EJ and wants to get a real good look at Kolb before making the call. The media can call it over but I think it's still a competition. Spiller was the star even in his few carries. The sky's the limit with him. The up-tempo offense showed signs of catching a defense off guard. The Defense played quick and strong but lacked the pressure we would expect.

Offense- Pass game was blah in the 1st qtr. Spiller was elusive, quick, and looks to be nasty. O-line blocked well all game; EJ had plenty of time. Tuel had a fumble on a pass attempt but no sacks given up (I think). Colin Brown played well all game. F Jax was slow and looks old. Zach Brown was unimpressive. I didn't see good vision, speed, quicks, or patience from him. Gaskins, on the other hand, showed nice vision, patience, and good size. Many young wide receivers produced; Woods, Goodwin, Rogers, Kaufman, Easley, and Sampson. It will be a tough call on who makes the team at wide receiver. I think it could be Stevie, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, and either Easley or Rogers. Gragg and Dickerson made some plays.

Defense- Where's the pressure? Mario sack was a gimme since Costanzo never moved. Hughes with a pass block, a few late sacks. But, the first team pass rush get held at the line way too much. However, they flew to the ball and hit hard. No big gimmes except for Brooks on one play. Alonso is a play-maker but may not be much of a slobber knocker with big stuffs at the line. Lawson looks to be productive and disruptive. Troup was basically non-existant as was the hyped Alex Carrington. Corbin Bryant and Jarron Gilbert made some plays. Blatnick and Dowtin had a few decent moments where they looked solid. Aaron Williams impressed me as did Crezdon Butler and Nickell Robey. Duke Williams and Johnathan Meeks were unimpressive.

Special Teams- Played great all game. They gave up one decent return but Goodwin with 2 kick returns for 106 yards and a TD? Disgusting. Robey was shifty as a punt returner. Lot's of real good open field tackles.

Noteworthy plays:
                Alonso punching the ball out in the endzone
                Lawson tip for a Crez Butler INT
                Brooks beaten badly
                Brooks hard hit to cause a fumble that Searcy picked up
                Brooks stupid taunting penalty
                Brooks awesome tackle as a gunner on ST
                A Williams huge hit
                Hughes jumps early
                Hughes nice pass blocked at the line
                EJ slow start
                EJ big run
                EJ very efficient and solid 2 minute scoring drive
                EJ bad hand off leads to a fumble to CJ
                Hopkins and Powell kicked well
                Hopkins with the inexcusable out of bounds kick
                Goodwin big return followed by 107 yard TD return
                Colin Brown blocked well all day
                Mario sack when Costanzo missed the snap and didn't move
                Where's the first team D pressure... seemed to get stuck on blocks a lot
                Robey shifty in punt returns
                Robey great open field ST tackle
                Butler with a nice pass break-up on 3rd and 6
                Butler nice open field tackle
                So glad Shepp is gone
                Easley with a bunch of back to back pass catches
                K Edwards sack
                Welch two penalties... can't wait for Hairston to get back
                Kaufman a few catches and a nice TD reception
                Gilbert with a nice chop on Harnish
                Gaskins has F Jax like vision
                F Jax looks slow and unproductive... 3.7 mill cap savings?... He's a cut candidate
                Brown really didn't impress
                Tuel poised, confident, and effecient
                Sampson with a nice set of catches
                Sinkfield with a nice gunner ST tackle
                Rolle with a pick 6
                Chris White drills the kick returner on ST

At this point:

Locks to make the team:
                Woods
                Goodwin
                Graham
                Colin Brown
                Tuel

As good as gone:
                Troup
                Chris White
                Sampson

Back from the dead:
                Easley

On the bubble:
                Da'Rick Rogers
                Kaufman
                Legursky
                Welch
                Crez Butler
                Meeks
                Duke Williams
                Lindell
                F-Jax
                Moats

Overall, I came away impressed not by the scoring, big defensive plays, or first team production; I think we were average in those areas. But, more because they looked well coached, very well conditioned, hungry, and ready to play. I like what that may mean for a huge tone setting opener against New England. New England is a juggernaut at playing solid football and they find a way to win more often than not. The Bills will need to be solid if not in mid-season form to go toe to toe with them. But, this team could be very solid if they can keep it up and stay healthy. Still, it's the preseason and there's lot's of it left.
                Translation: Vanilla
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by elltrain22 View Post
                  Great observations. I agree w/ most of your opinions. I don't see how you have F-Jax on the bubble. He's a perfect compliment to Spiller. I'd put Choice on the bubble, and IMO, if we keep 3 rb's, I like Gaskins to be our 3rd rb.

I also would like to say, that was the worst tv coverage on an NFL game ever!! The closeups on punt returns was stupid, the commentators made so many mistakes. At one point, they identified Tashard Choice as McGree, and he plays 3rd team defense! You never knew when there was a flag on the play, down and distance was slow be put up. I don't watch alot of games on the NFL network, but are they all this bad??
                  this was the indy local coverage. like when channel 7 does the bills preseason games. they don't know the bills, they don't have to. it was annoying to watch, but that is not what a thursday night game looks like on NFL network.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

They may keep 6 receivers.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
                      • Sep 2010

Chris White did well iin special teams, you don't think he will stay?
                      Originally posted by OpIv37
                      You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

No mention of Dareus barley getting off the LOS?

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                          No mention of Dareus barley getting off the LOS?
                          He's going to become a regular whipping boy for some fans.

Troup got some push and held the point better than Branch who is truly awful and is costing us money to boot. Troup has zero pass rush ability but he'll hold his ground, not sure he's worth much but this team needs bodies in the middle and we don't have many. Not sure he's any easy cut.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Jan 2010

branch looks really ordinary. Bryant, ross, gilbert, troup all look stronger and more active, and getting a good push....

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
                            branch looks really ordinary. Bryant, ross, gilbert, troup all look stronger and more active, and getting a good push....
                            ( all of them are 25 or younger, and it can take a couple years for dlineman to breakout...)

Comment

• MidnightVoice
                              Retired (mostly)
                              • Mar 2003

....but if this doesn't give one some long term hope, then pack it in and take up cricket.
                              Hey - we are in the middle of an Ashes series!!!!!!!!

But to play
                              that’s the thing
                              shut up and deal
                              ~ Jesse May

Comment

Working...
                              X