X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

A Big Difference From Last Year

The Bills have a better coaching staff than last year, and it is really starting to show on the field.

The Bills have a better defense than last year, and it is really starting to show on the field.

The Bills have a better offense than last year, and it is really starting to show on the field.

The Bills have a better special teams unit than last year, and it is really starting to show on the field.

Signs of vast improvement are everywhere.

I think Coach Marrone is a huge upgrade over Chan Gailey, who is a great man, but not a "great," football coach.

There's something to be said about a coach's body language and demeanor on the sidelines, but most important is the staff he assembles and the product he puts on the field.

It's not just one preseason game. Many saw it coming, but what I saw today was something I haven't seen as a Bills fan in over a decade.

When I saw EJ Manuel take the field for the first time as quarterback of the Buffalo Bills, his team was backed up deep in their own territory on the 5 yard line. How fitting, metaphorically speaking to a franchise that hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years. I don't know if EJ made an audible or not, but he pointed at the defender, took the snap and let CJ Spiller rip it.

Manuel had velocity on his throws. He doesn't have a noodle arm. Shaky start, rookie jitters, that was to be expected. But when he led the Bills in the 2 minute drill to a touchdown, going 9 for 9 on his pass attempts the rookie quarterback had composure and presence. He did not get sacked, and the one time he took off and ran with the ball for 28 yards....well, let's just say Fitz would have been lucky to make the first down. How long did it take the Bills offense to score a touchdown last preseason? 3 games was it? The Bills set a team record today for most points scored in a preseason game, and they didn't throw a single long ball.

It was a record day in many ways.

The Bills defense didn't get gashed up the middle. They blitzed real linebackers. They corner blitzed. What!? The Bills defense actually looked good.

Something's going on here. Kiko Alonso is a linebacker! I forgot what that was...holy crap what a difference on both sides of the ball. I know it's only one preseason game folks, but let's be honest with ourselves, we haven't seen that kind of play on offense and defense since when?

Marquise Goodwin is special because of his speed and vision. He alone has given the Bills special teams unit a huge upgrade.

Can you see the difference, or are you still skeptical?
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2010

Re: A Big Difference From Last Year

im guessing ej will play the 1st qtr against the Vikings and start again. really want to see them open up the passing game a little on 1st down. solid 1st start with a few jitters

- - - Updated - - -

he does look like a clone of cam newton

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

I'm as much of an optimist as anyone, but as much as I want to jump for joy after rewatching the game today.. we have got to remind ourselves of the fact that this was one preseason game.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
        • Sep 2010

I'll get back to you after the Pats game haha.
        Originally posted by OpIv37
        You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2010

if ej starts the 1st half again vs the Vikings, I want to see them open it up. let it rip. his arm talent and anticipation is too great to not be more vertical. again, it's preseason though

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I'm very encouraged by the coaching staff re:how prepared the team was, and how they executed. However, this is a very young team and it's certainly not uncommon for immature players to let 'success' go to their head, back off a little because they think they've got 'it', and then lay a complete egg in their next outing. I'm actually expecting them to look less sharp in the next game, but will really be impressed if they don't and the staff can keep the players grounded and focused from week to week.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• GreedoII
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
              im guessing ej will play the 1st qtr against the Vikings and start again. really want to see them open up the passing game a little on 1st down. solid 1st start with a few jitters

- - - Updated - - -

he does look like a clone of cam newton
              I was thinking more like Josh Freeman

Comment

• The King
                Without me it's just Awe so
                • Jun 2004

I saw so many things yesterday that reminded me that this is a new team. Every time the Bill made a tackle their hands were going after the ball. Kiko got beat by Fleener and got a hand on the ball after the TE caught it. Searcy got beat on a move by Fleener and got right back into the play to recover the fumble from Brooks. Mario is his brief appearance was screaming at the defense and trying to adjust formations, this is a new team. And it's going to be exciting.
                I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                It was all
                true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

It's only the first preseason game, but it's a confidence builder for every player and coach, it helps validate the coaching staff's approach, it gets the rookies off to a flying start, it shows the veterans that reinforcements are here, it helps end the culture of losing, and it's a feel good effort for the team and fans alike.

It's a helluva lot better than losing by 20 points and leaving the field with your heads down.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

I thought they played well.

The only dumb mistake was the taunting penalty.

Comment

• The King
                      Without me it's just Awe so
                      • Jun 2004

One thing that really irked me was on the fumble return. Rogers just stood there and made no effort to get after the defender. That was really the only play that I saw, that pissed me off.
                      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                      It was all
                      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

I agree...the team looked a little more poised than usual even with some mistakes.

Comment

• gebobs
                          One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by The King View Post
                          One thing that really irked me was on the fumble return. Rogers just stood there and made no effort to get after the defender. That was really the only play that I saw, that pissed me off.
                          Indy paid that back. When Rolle intercepted Harnish, Sampson looked like he was frozen in time.

Another thing...that called fumble on Tuel was horse crap. His arm was clearly moving forward before it comes out.

Overall, a nice way to spend my Sunday. EJ was impressive on the drill. Tuel looked in control in mop up. Special teams were pretty good. And how about that move Rogers put on at the goal line? He better make the team.
                          Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

encouraging for sure. but lets not forget: preseason results are meaningless. and the first preseason game has triple the normal amount of lack of meaning

i think perhaps marrones up tempo camp gave the team a leg up in this first practice game. all weve heard is about how fast theyve run everything in camp - fast, fast, fast. so compared to other teams that might give them an early advantage when there is no game planning - iow, our vanilla is crisper than your vanilla bc weve run it more times in the previous few weeks due to how fast weve run practices

if thats true then that advantage is evaporate quickly over the course of the practice games and be pretty much meaningless once the real games start. oh they might be better prepared than an average team who doesnt cram a lot of plays in, but they will still be very young and exploitable by game planning

hey i hope marrone and company are the next great coaching staff that brings us multiple bowls without cheating. but im not quite ready to start making the replica tinfoil superbowl trophy i will proudly display on top of the fridge when they finally do win one
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
                              I was thinking more like Josh Freeman
                              As a Bucs fan as well as a Bills fan, I can tell you Josh can not run half as well as Cam or EJ.

Comment

Working...
                              X