Extra Cap Space and Big Mike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Extra Cap Space and Big Mike

Hey Clumpy! I just had one of those light bulb moments-

The Bills have 7 plus million left according to your Last cap report (On the BillsZone front page). There doesn't seem to be any decent vets left out there, and with the exception of a couple of last minute camp cuts (which we could sign at a decent discount) that still leaves us with a significant chunk of change.

The logical step is to extend Winfield.... but what if they do the following as well .......?

posted by clumping platelets

http://espn.go.com/nfl/afc/draftsignings2002.html

Mike Williams' deal has salaries of $925,000 (2003), $1,156,000 (2004), $1,388,000 (2005), $1,618,800 (2006), $1,250,000 (2007), and $1,168,750 (2007).

The contract also has option/buyout of $3 million (payable prior to 2003 season) for 2006 and $1.25 million (do not know when it's due) for 2007.
    If the $3 million option is exercised (before 2003 season), the salaries for 2003-2005 change to $556,250, $475,000, and $706,250 respectively . These option/buyout monies most likely are not amortizable, thus his cap numbers for future years are as follows (assuming exercising and non-amortizability of the option payments):

If they excersize Williams' option and gibve him 3 million- it saves the Bills a lot of cap space down the road- when better free agents /we want to retain our own FA's.

What do you think? I'd rather spend it wisely now than just use it up on inferior FA talent just for the sake of using it up
  • Ð
    1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

Let him prove himself before you commit big bucks

Comment

• wbat27
      • Apr 2003

I trust big mike

Comment

• G. Host
        Banned
        • Jul 2002

"Payable prior to 2003 season"

where is that from?

That is not in original article?
        If so it could be reason why Bills have left salary cap money unspent.

Comment

• Schobel94
          The Sack Master
          • Jan 2003

That would be a good move for Donahoe. I hope he does this becuase then we take a big chunk of his future cap hit now, when we can actually afford it, rather than in the fututre, which will free up lots of monies. If we have 5 mil in cap room just sitting there b4 the season, I will be angry, this is a good use for it.
          Beware the sack master!

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Re: "Payable prior to 2003 season"

Originally posted by G. Host
            where is that from?

That is not in original article?
            If so it could be reason why Bills have left salary cap money unspent.
            That's from Clump's salary cap forum and his post on Mike Williams' contract from last season

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Comment

• clumping platelets

The option was paid because if you check his salaries at NFLPA. com, they are 2003 558125.00 2004 486250.00 2005 726875.00

Comment

• Schobel94
                  The Sack Master
                  • Jan 2003

Great Move Mr. Donahoe! I guess stuff like that doesnt get front page news, but it is stuff like that that keeps this team in good financial shape and it is stuff like that that will make us perrenial superbowl contenders.
                  Beware the sack master!

Comment

• TypicalBill
                    • Sep 2002

when was the option paid? i mean, do we have 7 million of cap space even after we paid the option?
                    For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• clumping platelets

Yes, I think it's closer to $6 million. If the option wasn't paid, "Big Mike" would have been a FA

Comment

• Schobel94
                        The Sack Master
                        • Jan 2003

How could that be possible? It's an option, we pay it, his base salaries go down, we dont, his base salaries stay the same, how do you figure him being an FA if we dont pay the option?
                        Beware the sack master!

Comment

• TypicalBill
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Schobel94
                          How could that be possible? It's an option, we pay it, his base salaries go down, we dont, his base salaries stay the same, how do you figure him being an FA if we dont pay the option?
                          thats what i was thinking.

so CP, had we not paid him that option, he woulda played just his rookie season with us?

what do you mean he woulda been an FA?
                          For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                            short bus extraordinaire
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                            Yes, I think it's closer to $6 million. If the option wasn't paid, "Big Mike" would have been a FA
                            there would have been a lot of PO'd BILLS fans if that were to happen.
                            Originally posted by yordad
                            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Doc
                              • Dec 2002

How much bonus money has Mike gotten so far and how much more does his rookie contract call for him to get still?

Comment

Working...
                              X