PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Report ranks Byrd the 2nd best safety in the league.

HAMMER
08-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Only Weddle ranked higher. This situation needs to get resolved soon or I fear it will get very contentious.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444324-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-75-safeties/page/55

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2013, 10:48 AM
When he can sign a long-term deal again, he is not going to sign for less than $8M per.

I can see that number going to $8.5 per if he has a good season this year.

stuckincincy
08-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Only Weddle ranked higher. This situation needs to get resolved soon or I fear it will get very contentious.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444324-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-75-safeties/page/55

The bleacherreport rates me the 2nd best poster on the internet. :surf:

The King
08-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Side note: Byrds agent writes for Bleacher Report.

gebobs
08-13-2013, 11:15 AM
I wonder who he'll be playing for next year. It really is a shame that the bills don't have enough cap space to sign him. Oh well. That's what happens when your roster is chock full of studs in their prime.

EDS
08-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Bills don't need him as they have Aaron Williams . . .

BuffaloWingEater
08-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Bills don't need him as they have Aaron Williams . . .

ummmmmmmmm, lets see what aaron williams does in his new position when the games count. byrd is supposedly apart of the buffalo "core" that russ and the boys told us would be locked up long-term. we will see.

THATHURMANATOR
08-13-2013, 01:08 PM
What is there to resolve?

We can't negotiate a long term deal with him until after the season.

He either signs his franchise tag and reports or holds out because he doesn't want to get injured.

Smart money is that he will hold out for the entire preseason and sign his tag right before the season.

Thats what I would do if I were him. Why risk injury in meaningless preseason?

Beebe's Kid
08-13-2013, 01:09 PM
I guess that I don't get where the debate is on signing him. He has been an impact player since he got to Buffalo. I know it is a lot of money, but he is going to get it from somebody, and in two years, he will probably be a deal at whatever that amount is. I guess I don't understand taking the risk on Mario, and not paying for the consistency that you get with Byrd. He has been a good player, and has not had any "incidents" off of the field. The position can be important when you have one of the league's elites playing there, and the salary is relatively low comparatively. Just sign the ****ing guy.

THATHURMANATOR
08-13-2013, 01:10 PM
When he can sign a long-term deal again,

Not until the offseason.

OpIv37
08-13-2013, 01:12 PM
I just don't see any way this situation ends with Byrd still being on the team. He will play this season because he has to, but that's it. He will walk after that.

BuffaloWingEater
08-13-2013, 01:13 PM
I just don't see any way this situation ends with Byrd still being on the team. He will play this season because he has to, but that's it. He will walk after that.

they will tag him again

stuckincincy
08-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Then he will show up when the CBA and the NFLPA says, and get the guaranteed salary. All he has to do this season is show up at the right time, collect the $, say he hurts, and sit. And do it again if they tag him again.

It's like the double-dipping civil service folks, with union skirts to hide behind.

I'd rescind the offer, if it can be done. At the least, muddy the language. Byrd and his agent are playing for max $. I'd trade his rights for a 4th and a player. He's insulting the franchise and the players. I don't want him.

Bill Cody
08-13-2013, 01:47 PM
What is there to resolve?

We can't negotiate a long term deal with him until after the season.

He either signs his franchise tag and reports or holds out because he doesn't want to get injured.

Smart money is that he will hold out for the entire preseason and sign his tag right before the season.

Thats what I would do if I were him. Why risk injury in meaningless preseason?

Does skipping preseason and going into real games cold really reduce the chance of injury? Doubt it. And does being a douche make more teams or less want to pony up big $ for Byrd?

Tatonka
08-13-2013, 01:48 PM
if the team does well, it increases the likelihood that he will return long term significantly.

Skooby
08-13-2013, 01:52 PM
I hope Byrd comes back & has the best season ever.

OpIv37
08-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Does skipping preseason and going into real games cold really reduce the chance of injury? Doubt it. And does being a douche make more teams or less want to pony up big $ for Byrd?

Well I think NFL teams have long since proven that they don't care about paying big money to douches if they can play football.

gebobs
08-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Does skipping preseason and going into real games cold really reduce the chance of injury?
I don't know. Maybe Darrelle Revis could enlighten us (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrelle_Revis#2010_season).