PDA

View Full Version : Pettine to coach from sidelines this year

justasportsfan
08-13-2013, 11:43 AM
“Part of it was with calling the defenses I always felt it was a problem in New York when I called them and the (opponent) was up tempo that it had to go through somebody else so you had that couple of seconds where it had to get called twice,” said Pettine. ”Now I have the ability to make the call and give a couple of reminders, tell the nose guard to do this or make sure the three technique does this. To me it’s something I had wanted to do so I knew when I made the move here I was going to come down on the field.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/08/13/pettine-to-coach-from-sidelines-this-year/

stuckincincy
08-13-2013, 12:06 PM
“Part of it was with calling the defenses I always felt it was a problem in New York when I called them and the (opponent) was up tempo that it had to go through somebody else so you had that couple of seconds where it had to get called twice,” said Pettine. ”Now I have the ability to make the call and give a couple of reminders, tell the nose guard to do this or make sure the three technique does this. To me it’s something I had wanted to do so I knew when I made the move here I was going to come down on the field.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/08/13/pettine-to-coach-from-sidelines-this-year/

That's good.

Mace
08-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Wannstedt stayed in the booth so less people could see his confusion and helplessness, he got to sit on a comfortable chair, refreshing beverages, and no worries about weather. I bet his headset wasn't even plugged in or it was jacked into a radio so he could listen to other games or some smooth soothing jazz while he watched a game from a good seat with some righteous snacks ! Besides that, it was all about his hair. Never wore a hat. You don't want to have to restyle before facing the media over your failures. Makes you feel small, unlike the feeling of godlike power from the booth where the players look like you can swat them like bugs for getting you fired and making you look bad. Um, what was I saying....oh yeah....

Pettine seems like a different animal entirely. Likes the Gatorade from the tub, and doesn't mind standing or getting wet if it rains because he has no hair.

BillsImpossible
08-13-2013, 07:38 PM
I have a lot of respect for coach Dick LeBeau. I've never seen him upstairs, even with his short time here in Buffalo he's always been on the field.

Pettine is a very good DC. The move down to the sidelines is going to make his defense even better.

Just think how demoralized the defense must have been last year, knowing they weren't being put in positions to win by a coach who didn't have a clue. That must have really sucked. These guys are pumped up to play for Pettine, and it showed on Sunday, but they're probably still in shock over the idea of being coached by a guy who actually knows how to call a defense.

I can just hear Kyle Williams saying to Super Mario, "Holy bleep, did he really just call that bro? Thank you, Jesus."

Figster
08-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Pettine even looks imposing on the sideline,

between him and Marrone, they really crank up the intensity level...

Scumbag College
08-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Anything that he does different from The Stache is fine with me. I'm sure he'll have plenty of assistants as "Eyes in the Sky" to give him an overview of what's going on on defense.

feldspar
08-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Pettine even looks imposing on the sideline,

I'm almost afraid of this guy...

Night Train
08-14-2013, 04:07 AM
As long as the D plays good, he could coach from his kitchen in Cheektowaga using a ham radio, for all I care.

GingerP
08-14-2013, 06:58 AM
As long as the D plays good, he could coach from his kitchen in Cheektowaga using a ham radio, for all I care.

Yeah, that is the bottom line. There have been successful guys in the booth and on the sidelines, but ultimately it is performance. I know Monte Kiffin likes to be up in the booth, and he is a great defensive coordinator. In the end, it is getting the job done.

better days
08-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Yeah, that is the bottom line. There have been successful guys in the booth and on the sidelines, but ultimately it is performance. I know Monte Kiffin likes to be up in the booth, and he is a great defensive coordinator. In the end, it is getting the job done.

I don't know what he is doing now, but when Kiffen was DC of the Bucs, he was on the sideline.

Figster
08-14-2013, 09:14 AM

After the Wanstaches so far out of touch coaching style, I appreciate the fact that Pettine is on the sidelines mixing it up with his players,

I care...

GingerP
08-14-2013, 11:15 AM
I don't know what he is doing now, but when Kiffen was DC of the Bucs, he was on the sideline.

In Dallas he will be calling the defenses from upstairs.

better days
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
In Dallas he will be calling the defenses from upstairs.

He is probably too old to stand for any length of time now & afraid of getting injured by players going out of bounds because he can't get out of the way.