• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightVoice
    Retired (mostly)
    • Mar 2003

Why Jairus Byrd is still unsigned

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-unsigned.html

Buffalo Bills president Russ Brandon told the Associated Press on Monday that he couldn’t predict when safety Jairus Byrd, who didn’t report for the start of training camp on July 27, would join the team. Byrd is the only one of the eight players designated as a franchise player this year that remains unsigned. Since Byrd isn’t under contract, the Bills can’t fine him up to $30,000 for each day of camp he misses.

Brandon said the Bills are still interested in signing Byrd to a long-term contract. Byrd can’t sign a multi-year deal until the regular season ends (December 29) ..... The parties were reportedly $2 million per year apart in contract talks at the deadline. Byrd was looking for a deal that would place him near the top of safety market. Troy Polamalu is the NFL’s highest paid safety with the three-year, $29.6 million ($9,866,667 average per year) contract extension he signed in 2011. The average of the top five veteran safety deals is approximately $8 million per year. Brandon also indicated that lines of communication were open between senior vice president of football administration Jim Overdorf, Buffalo’s chief contract negotiator, and Eugene Parker, Byrd’s agent.

........He can only play for the Bills on a one-year deal, but is still allowed to negotiate his one-year salary and other conditions relating to his franchise player status.

The two-time All-Pro could be insisting on a clause that would prohibit the Bills from using a franchise or transition designation on him in 2014 (i.e.; a prohibition clause) or a larger one-year salary than his franchise tender in order to end the contract dispute. .....

A franchise player has never missed regular season games because of a contract dispute since the 2006 Collective Bargaining Agreement implemented the July multi-year deal deadline. Dunta Robinson came closest when he signed his tender four days before the Houston Texans’ 2009 regular season opener. The Bills have a different defensive system under new defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, so the more time Byrd has to get acclimated to the new defensive philosophy, the better it is for him and the Bills. Byrd must sign by the Tuesday following Week 10’s games (November 12) in order to play this season

Quite a lot of figures and possibilities in the full article

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May
  • Thief
    • Sep 2009

Re: Why Jairus Byrd is still unsigned

IF THEY AGREE NOT TO FRANCHISE HIM AGAIN THEY MIGHT AS WELL NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORIST.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Thief View Post
      IF THEY AGREE NOT TO FRANCHISE HIM AGAIN THEY MIGHT AS WELL NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORIST.
      Rough but accurate.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Can't blame Byrd with all the injuries going around the league plus Marrne camp is difficult. If Jauron was the HC , Byrd would have signed and brought his hammock.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Thunderkyss
          I'm a Texan
          • Jun 2013

JMO...

The Bills have too many holes to be paying $8M/yr for a safety.

& everything is too new, new coaching staff, a bunch of new players..... if I knew he was in that ball park (& I don't blame him if that's where he thinks he needs to be) I'd have let him walk. Wouldn't have franchised him. I know it wouldn't be a popular move for the fanbase, but I'm not paying my safety $8M/yr if I don't have a top 10 defense.

Sure, Byrd can help a defense get there, but right now, it's not a good idea, jmo.

Comment

• HAMMER
            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
            • Jul 2003

10 mm a yr for a safety is ludicrous, what is this world coming to?

Comment

• kishoph
              • Jun 2003

There's nothing to negotiate, the only option at this time is for Byrd to sign the tender for the franchise tag and get his ass to camp.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

His agent IS a terrorist to the Bills organization.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Thief View Post
                  Any notion of signing him to a long term deal without the possibility of franchising him is a complete pipe dream. I would rather the Bills trade him for whatever they can get on a assign and trade deal than sign him to a one year deal with a promise not to franchise him in 2014.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

i thought for sure they would get him signed before the deadline, but since they didnt the most likely ending will be a sign and trade. im sure his agent is working furiously on that right now. and the bills appear prepared to move on with someone else starting there so they can be patient and wait for the first round pick offer to come
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                      • Mar 2013

I'm sure Byrd is hearing from many of his teammates how awesome the new defensive is....as if his friends on the team aren't texting him. He's probably already got the playbook, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of his teammates are whispering into his ear every night, telling him about the X's and O's of the new system.

I think Byrd will sign his offer with the Bills after the third preseason game, which would give him 2 weeks to prepare.

He's not going to sit out the season, and he's not going to hold out until late November because he has too much money, and respect to lose.

Byrd is doing the right thing by sitting out as long as he can. Freak injuries happen all of the time, and it would be stupid for Byrd to be in camp right now given his market value as one of the top safeties in the league. That is the only reason why he's sitting out right now, and I don't blame him because if he were in camp today, and suffered a season ending injury he would lose millions of dollars as a result.

The NFL is a business, and it works both ways.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                        I'm sure Byrd is hearing from many of his teammates how awesome the new defensive is....as if his friends on the team aren't texting him. He's probably already got the playbook, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of his teammates are whispering into his ear every night, telling him about the X's and O's of the new system.

I think Byrd will sign his offer with the Bills after the third preseason game, which would give him 2 weeks to prepare.

He's not going to sit out the season, and he's not going to hold out until late November because he has too much money, and respect to lose.

Byrd is doing the right thing by sitting out as long as he can. Freak injuries happen all of the time, and it would be stupid for Byrd to be in camp right now given his market value as one of the top safeties in the league. That is the only reason why he's sitting out right now, and I don't blame him because if he were in camp today, and suffered a season ending injury he would lose millions of dollars as a result.

The NFL is a business, and it works both ways.
                        If he gets on the field in the regular season & is not in Football shape he is MUCH MORE likely to get injured.

I hope you are right & he gets into camp with two weeks left.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                          Can't blame Byrd with all the injuries going around the league plus Marrne camp is difficult. If Jauron was the HC , Byrd would have signed and brought his hammock.
                          Difficult but FUN. The players are having a blast in TC. Marrone is having the players play football but he is not a drill sergeant blowing airhorns at 6AM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            Difficult but FUN. The players are having a blast in TC. Marrone is having the players play football but he is not a drill sergeant blowing airhorns at 6AM.
                            blah! Camp isn't fun for fans like me. Haven't seen much of the jills. Maybe thats a good thing.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

He isn't signed because the organization low balled him, he and his agent got pissed and basically decided to stop negotiating and hardlined a number they wanted. We weren't paying him that number so we're at where we are now.

Hopefully some good faith can be restored throughout the year between both sides and come January we can reach a long term agreement with the type of player you build a defense around.

If not, we're stuck franchising him again and then trying to trade him for some value.

Comment

Working...
                              X